• Breaking News

    Tuesday, August 4, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - August 04, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - August 04, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - August 04, 2020

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I’ve finally found a template that gives results and I want to share since I’m surprised most ‘proven programs’ don’t have anything like this.

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 11:47 PM PDT

    Some background:

    I've started lifting seriously about 2-3 years ago and while I made decent progress in my presses I've been stuck in squat since pretty much the start. And not for lack of trying. I promise I've never missed legs and I've never done a program where they wouldn't be a priority (well the squat). But being 90-100 kg I still couldn't do a few decent reps at my body weight. And it was frankly embarrassing. My strict press for example was 75kg within a year. Have tried watching every video, reading every article, doing every stretch, buying every shoe.. nothing. The programs I did were: PHUL, variations of 5/3/1, starting strength and others. And I've always waited for a few months before hopping off a program to make sure I have it adequate time.

    Then something happened, a gift from above. I was doing 5/3/1 BBB and I got tired of doing BBB squat sets that were obviously too easy. So I thought on the last one I'll go all out. And I did. And it felt good. For the first time it felt like my legs actually did something. So I did that again a few times for other lifts too.

    Then I liked it so much that I decided to scrap the rest and just do that set. And since I was getting about 20 reps at that time I thought that when I got to 25 I'd increase the weight by the slightest amount (2,5kg in my case). I thought I'd do it 3 times a week with 3 exercises on the same template (squat, bench/press, Romanian deadlift). Making sure I start embarrassingly light on all of then (which I learned from 5/3/1). So just one proper set for each after one or two "warm up working sets of 10". I called it 10+25.

    What happened next had me in disbelief. I went from doing 40kg x 16 to doing 95kg (almost bodyweight) x 25 in just over a month. My legs blew up in size (I don't have better words) I can't fit into any of my shorts or trousers and my quads literally have stretch marks on them. (I haven't really gained much weight maybe 1 or 2 kg) This to me then seemed like a perfect program. Other lifts had been growing too. But not as well since the focus had always been the squat.

    I also can't describe the mental capacity required for this. And I think this is the reason why my legs didn't grow before. When I say 95x25 you might think that I could do 95x25 but in reality I could do 95x10 maybe, and the rest I had to dig for while just saying to myself (alright this is horrible but you've just done one rep, you can probably do one more). That works until about 18 reps, after that you don't know what's going on, you are just trying to balance the breathing at the top to get some air and rest and going back down sooner, before the sick gets into your mouth. It was tough and it taught me how to work legs.

    As for form I'm not going to claim it was textbook perfect. The first 10-15 reps were, the next 5 or 6 were ok and a few at the end were atrocious. But having had back problems in the past and having had a lot of discomfort doing the then heavy sets of 5 (90kg for example) I knew my body and I knew when to stop. Nowhere in the 95x25 did I feel like my lower back was compromised and I didn't have any discomfort during or after. I attribute this to the insane burn I'd get in my legs which would guide me to engage those muscles more (for more burn) and therefore keep the wrong muscles out of it in a way.

    Since then I've discovered this kind of thing is called the widowmaker set. But I'm wondering why it isn't part of any (especially beginner) programs. I've put my girlfriend on a similar template and she also blew up in size. It just seems like the best way to go.

    Anyway I'm sure there are drawbacks to this but I'm also sure I've found great advantages too. Hopefully I'm allowed to post this and someone finds it useful and perhaps has some tips for me too.

    submitted by /u/az9393
    [link] [comments]

    Is it easier to maintain lower bf% if you are bigger and have more muscle?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 07:05 AM PDT

    For a 6'0 man is it easier to get <10% and six pack abs if you were ~210 lbs, like football player types, compared to if you were 170-180 lbs? Does big muscle make it easier to maintain lower bf%?

    I can maintain 12% pretty well at like 178 lbs, but cant maintain <10% at like low 170s.

    submitted by /u/alzhou6
    [link] [comments]

    Monthly Apps, Gadgets and Gear Megathread!

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Monthly Apps, Gadgets and Gear Megathread!

    This thread is for sharing fitness related apps, technological gadgets, and training gear that you've found helpful for your fitness goals.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    “Cankles” ... can they be reshaped?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 01:23 AM PDT

    Are there any weight exercises that can help shape cankles or am I stuck with them forever?

    The rest of my legs are pretty toned (I'm a runner) but I have no definition from my calf to my ankle. Are calf raises the only exercise?

    Someone suggested walking on an incline on a treadmill but as I already run on an incline I'm not sure if that'll do anything.

    I have some dumbbells at home and am not going to the gym right now so at-home workouts would be best.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks so much!! :)

    submitted by /u/mchllnlms780
    [link] [comments]

    Are More Sets Better than More Exercises?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 03:21 AM PDT

    I made a home leg workout about a month ago with the equipment I had available and there are few exercises where I am repeating (I only repeat the hardest ones/ most crucial). Would having fewer exercises and more sets be more effective?

    My Workout (I'm 13 so weights aren't huge)

    One leg jumps alternate X15 High knees running in place X30sec 3kg Side step with jump X15 Cross step with jump and hands up X15 2 minute rest 3kg Cross step+side step with jump X15 Straight leg 1 min X2 5kg Jump squats with step X15 Running jump X10 Jump squat with block hands X15 2 minute rest Quick tuck jumps X20 Leg sit 1min 5kg jump squats 3 sets of 12 15 lateral bounds Long jump X5 Thrust ups X30 secs 5 minute rest Drop from box then jump X10 Jump and lunge 5kg X12 3 sets Full speed sprint X15 20 push ups 20 sit ups Stand up then jumpX15 Calf Raises X30 sec 2 sets fast Squat hops X30 secs Burnouts X30secs Step Ups X30secs

    submitted by /u/lokze1
    [link] [comments]

    How to eat and stay fit while I can’t lift

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 11:33 PM PDT

    I am 26 yo and fit. I used to lift a lot, but more recently started primarily running a lot. But as of late my foot and hip are really bothering me. I'm taking care of that, but I likely can't do intense physical activity for the next 3-4 months. I walk about 4 miles a day, do 120 pushups, and a 15 minute ab workout. Of course this is still a decent workout but no what I'm used to.

    How should I change my diet to stay thin and not lose muscle? Any exercises I can do that are low impact on both foot and hip? For now I have no access to a bike or pool. Thank you for your help!

    submitted by /u/damgravity
    [link] [comments]

    Will I see fitness results by using this?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 04:05 AM PDT

    I'm a 30 year old 5'9 male who is roughly 180lbs. I've just joined the gym and just looking to get healthier and fitter. I have no interest in becoming huge just a healthier version of myself and leaner.

    My gym has a 'Matrix Fitness Commercial G3 Series MSFT400 Functional Trainer' which by the looks of it, trains the whole body. I like the look of this as it means I can just stick to it for the whole time I'm there instead of trying to jump on other equipment.

    Is something like this likely to work and give me results? The weights seem to go up pretty heavy. I'll also be doing classes in-between the days that I lift weights.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/DoyleG
    [link] [comments]

    Feeling tired after walking

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 02:44 AM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    I'm a pretty big guy (192 cm 122 kg), used to play rugby for 6-7 years and weigh less. After quarantine hit, things kinda slumped and I am where I am right now. For the last 3 weeks, I've been going on walks daily, with average distance walked over the last 3 weeks being 12 km per day. I'm eating quite healthy (big bowl of salad every day, watch my carbs and protein). Don't smoke at all and don't drink much right now. No drugs or anything.

    The goal is to be at my healthy weight of 90 ish kg and lose 3-5 kg a month.

    However, I feel genuinely tired for some parts of the day, much more than I would usually. Am I doing too much or too little? Is it a dieting problem? Should I try other exercises (such as running, skipping rope, etc)?

    Thanks in advance!

    Edit: I'm 20

    submitted by /u/Pekh0
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations on Youtube channel for a female

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 01:39 AM PDT

    Hey guys! Looking for a good YT channel that would touch on dieting, supplementation and overall wellness/fitness for females.

    Appreciate all suggestions! :)

    submitted by /u/TheReal_KylieGender
    [link] [comments]

    Can I still tighten/tone up on a calorie deficit?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 02:01 AM PDT

    Hi all, I've only just recently returned to lifting weights and feeling quite sore right now which makes me wonder if it's worth it while weightloss is my number one goal.

    I'm 215 pounds, down from about 232 and i've achieved this through walking 5 miles each day and also eating under 2000 calories a day ( I don't count but I eat roughly 1600 a day).

    I still have a big belly, my man boobs and my chunky waist. I figured i'd at least try to tighten up so i've been doing a bit of benchwork. I'm aware that I wanted to build muscle i'd need to be eating at least 2000 calories a day or more if i'm walking still??

    I don't really want big muscle, I just want to tighten up and burn the flab. If I carry on eating less and walking eat day, will I at least tighten and tone if I lidt weights or is it a complete waste of time if I'm eating less?

    submitted by /u/CinJerry
    [link] [comments]

    Self-Promotion Saturday

    Posted: 01 Aug 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Self-Promotion Saturday

    This thread will serve as a weekly AutoModerator post, for anyone looking to get exposure for their Instagram, Youtube, blogspot, RedditMade, Kickstarter, TeeSpring, MySpace, AOL, stand-alone website, or stand-alone physical product.

    This post is the one time where people can advertise without repercussions, and the one thread when anything goes. All other advertisements will continue to be removed as per Rule #8.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Will jogging during my walk burn more calories?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 06:03 PM PDT

    This may be a stupid question, but this is the first time I've actually done "cardio" on a consistent basis. I was overweight as a child and half my teen years and lost a lot of fat basically all from lifting and dieting. I've been at a pretty healthy weight for some years now. Until now I haven't really done much cardio and recently decided to start practicing it regularly; I'm quite enjoying it actually!

    I like to take a 4 mile "power walk" at roughly 3.5-4 mph just to burn off some extra calories. Recently during my walks, I've been jogging sections of it to speed things up, theoretically burning more calories. Since I'm new to this I'm not too sure if there's something I'm missing.

    My question is would jogging sections of my walk (almost like interval jogging..?) burn additional calories than had I just walked the entire 4 miles at a constant walking speed?

    EDIT: there are quite some polarizing replies with some suggesting there is no difference m, to yes I will burn additional calories. To sum everything up, jogging or walking the same distance will not have a significant difference, but a difference nonetheless. I've concluded that jogging will only burn ~20-50 Cal in the same distance in my case. This is fine with me, as right now my goal is to jog for longer stretches of time and building endurance, and eventually jogging the full 4 miles.

    Some have suggested HIIT cardio, which I have tried in the past. As of right now, I'm more focused on my weight training (powerlifting) and I find HIIT to be too taxing on the body for my purposes. I am trying to lose a few lbs of body fat but I'm in no rush. I do these walk/jogs because I enjoy walking regardless, and because it burns an extra 200-300 Cals, which is what I wanted just to make some leeway in my deficit. I will definitely keep in mind HIIT cardio if I ever need to burn calories more efficiently. Thank you all for the great responses, I've learned quite a bit!

    submitted by /u/Jeff_the_Cabal
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment