• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 8, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 08, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 08, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 08, 2020

    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    What should a rep before failure feel like?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 08:19 PM PDT

    I've noticed I don't really feel a pump or a burn unless I go lightweight and go for tons of reps. Otherwise, I have this out of energy feeling where it feels less like my whole body can't exert anymore as opposed to the muscle I'm targetting being tired. Is that right? I'm going for around 12 reps on my focused body part days.

    submitted by /u/Dances28
    [link] [comments]

    25M 6’2” , 125lbs to 190lbs - 65lbs gained Super skinny tall guy to average looking tall guy - 5 Years on and off progress

    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 03:48 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Figured I would post this mainly to try and inspire other tall skinny guys, its definitely achievable but its definitely hard! This is 5 years of progress but could of been done in alot less but due to f*ckarounditis and other excuses I make for myself, it took me this long... A large part of the progress has been made this year, with lockdown and a private GYM I had no excuse but to eat and workout every single day.

    This subreddit along with r/gainit provided me with alot of the knowledge I needed to get going, as well as countless progress stories (hopefully like this) to inspire me to carry on.

    I also praise the book Bigger Leaner Stronger by Michael Matthews. There are similar books but this appeals to my factual/ scientific mind.. everything he advises and states is backed by studies and he details them all at the back of the book. Theres no Bro-science in there, just cold hard facts. I would definitely recommend it.

    • Progress - Like I say, between the pictures is a little over 5 years but most of the gains have been in the last couple of years and alot this year.

    I have a power rack in my garage so I can safely perform all major compound lifts as well as many accessory lifts. I have no plan to join an actual gym as I can do almost everything I need from here and I have invested too much to warrant joining a gym now.

    • Lifts - My numbers are not great considering... but they look something like this 1 rep max's

    Bench 25kg - 90kg Squat 30kg - 110kg Deadlift 50kg - 135kg Press 10kg - 50kg

    Initial lifts are rough guesses, I would never track when I started.

    • Plan - I started as many others did, on Stronglifts 5x5 This gave me plenty of time to learn form on the major lifts, it was easy to track and with easy progression so all in all a great starter program.. However as many point out, its very squat dominated so I would substitute some of these for deadlifts.

    After a while and some ok progress, I always finished my workout feeling underworked... so I moved to 5/3/1 BBB.

    The BBB (boring but big) variation of 5/3/1 is very simple and for me very effective! Although it is important to add in accessory work to compliment the main lifts. This is when I started to notice more significant strength increases, the drop down to 50x reps after a heavy workload gave a great pump and helped with self esteem!

    Right now I am on a custom sort of PPL plan... no days off.. Push-Pull-Legs-Push-Pull-Legs-Push etc etc I am usually in the gym for an hour each time. I usually do 3 heavy sets of each exercise and then drop down to a lower weight until failure for each. I can give more info on this if requested.

    • Diet - My diet has been pretty similar the whole time.. A slow bulk.. Because of the inconsistency I would have, I tended to lose weight easily, so when I was trying my hardest, I was always bulking.

    My macros look like this; 3250 Calories 50% from Carb 25% from Protein 25% from Fat As well all know, protein being most important... I try to hit 200g a day.. a little over recommended to make up for inconsistencies.

    I use myfitnesspal to track, works great and has a gigantic food library all setup. Just scan the barcode and you're good!

    This consists mainly of Chicken Cheese Milk Whey protein Casein protein Pasta's Rice's all that good stuff!

    • Pics - Unfortunately I dont have many as I hated the way I looked, but there are some to give an idea..

    https://imgur.com/gallery/VmieWmm

    Good luck out there, it's not easy being super skinny and eating big is hard!

    BONUS- 1k cal super shake Whole milk Bananas Peanut butter Oats Protein powder Vanilla ice cream - olive oil for hardcore users- Blend it up and have it before bed.. got me through a gaining plateau.

    submitted by /u/zzzzzz129
    [link] [comments]

    Rant Wednesday

    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Rant Wednesday: It's your time to let your gym/fitness/nutrition related frustrations out!

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Using sand as weights?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 09:23 PM PDT

    So I don't think my local gym is opening any time soon. I'm depressed and sad I've lost my gains

    Anyways I noticed that a 50lb bag of sand is less then $5 in home depot. Can I just buy 3 of these and use them for my work outs? Has anyone done this? I would use them for hip thrust

    Also, is it safe to have 150lbs on an apartment floor? I'm on the second floor with someone living under me, I could spread it all around the place so it's not sitting in one area

    So yeah. I could drive over and pick them up tomorrow! Thoughts??

    submitted by /u/AnxiousEel
    [link] [comments]

    Is bulking necessary?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 04:40 AM PDT

    So, some background to why I'm asking this question. I've always been overweight and am currently on my way to cutting down to 15% bf and once I get there, I really don't want to ever cut again. It sucks. I understand bulking is very important for muscle gain but would you gain more muscle from a well-structured, controlled and healthy Bulk for a year starting at around 15% for males, as opposed to just sticking to maintenance. Considering you'll gain more fat than you do muscle, and the fact that once you start cutting again unless you want the cut to last a good few months you could either lose some gains from the bulk or not gain any strength at all while cutting. This sounds to me like it would really be down to personal preference, as you either gain muscle much slower, but steadily with no consequences of fat gain, or see results quicker and probably be more motivated to keep it going.

    submitted by /u/Apexcarno
    [link] [comments]

    Dumbell question

    Posted: 08 Jul 2020 04:39 AM PDT

    I have two adjustable dumbell but with limited weight plates. When I put two of the lightest plates on a dumbell, its still kinda heavy for me to start out. My question is whether I can put one plate on one side of the dumbell and leave the other side empty so that it weigh less. This might be a noob question as I'm just starting.

    submitted by /u/Shiro-Yaksha
    [link] [comments]

    Anything I should know about Neck Workouts?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 03:04 PM PDT

    Hey fellas, so I've been hearing a lot of things about neck workouts. How it's a bit advanced, how it can potentially be dangerous. I was wondering if these neck workouts have anything I should be worried about at all, or anything I should know: Lying Reverse Neck Raise, Lying Reverse Neck Raise Rotation, Lying Right Side Neck Raise, Lying Neck Raise, Lying Neck Raise Rotation, Lying Left Side Neck Raise. I apologize for the use of caps for every word in the workout, I copied and pasted the workout. If these workouts aren't necessarily safe then what neck workouts are safe??

    submitted by /u/MushinEsoteric
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment