• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 7, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Good starting point: do some planks

    Beginner Fitness: Good starting point: do some planks


    Good starting point: do some planks

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 07:15 AM PDT

    I started doing three/four planks a day, started at 1:10 minutes per plank, and I increase 5 seconds every Monday.

    A month in, I'm at 1:35 and I'm starting to see results. Nothing too dramatic, but some shirts fit better, and I feel very well.

    I like planks because they engage a wide array of muscles at once and it's a low-commitment exercise: you can literally drop to the floor and do it, without changing clothes nor having to take a shower afterwards.

    I started as part of a habit-forming plan (go check tinyhabits.com, I loved it). The "secret" is to tie the habit/activity you want to add, to an already occurring activity, gradually from a bare minimum to its fullest. When you finish brushing your teeth, floss a single tooth and grow from there. So I started doing planks every time I boiled water for tea, instead of staring into my phone, and that timing worked great for incorporating some exercise into my life.

    You can start "easy" and then add some variations to engage more muscles and have some fun: arms extended, one leg up, side planks and pushups. I bet you can find a couple of 2 minute spaces in your day to give your body a jolt of energy.

    submitted by /u/andresb
    [link] [comments]

    Anulom Vilom Pranayama - An exercise to stay healthy

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 06:23 PM PDT

    It's important to focus on our health (internally) as much as we focus on our fitness (externally)

    Anulom Vilom Pranayama balances the physical and mental energy of our body.

    .

    .

    Benefits :

    •Increase in oxygen and effective decrease in carbon-dioxide.

    •Improves blood circulation and purifies blood to toxins.

    •Keep mind free from Stress, Anxiety, Depression, Mental illness, Hypertension and mind related problems.

    •Keep away the heart-related problems.

    •Improves concentration and mind in positive thinking.

    •Give a great glowing skin with no Pimples and no skin problems.

    •Keeps the body clean and strong.

    •Helps to improve the functioning of lungs.

    .

    .

    Instructions :

    •It is suggested to be seated in a quiet, calm and comfortable position preferably in a cross-legged or meditating position on the ground. Make sure that your spine and head are straight.

    •Shut your eyes and relax for a few minutes. This will help in unwinding from the surroundings and relieving stress.

    •Sit in this position for a few minutes with your eyes closed until you are relaxed and ready for the pranayama.

    •Now, take your right hand and slowly place it on the right nostril, while resting your left hand on the left knee.

    •Press hard so that airflow through this nostril is temporarily obstructed.

    •Now, slowly take a deep breath from your left nostril.

    •Shut both the nostrils and hold the inhaled breath for a few seconds.

    •Now, release your finger from the right nostril, which will allow you to exhale the air from it.

    •While doing so, make sure that your left nostril is safely shut with the help of your ring and little finger.

    •Be slow in the process of exhaling air from your right nostril, attempting to take a longer time than inhalation.

    •Next, deeply inhale from your right nostril, while shutting the other one with the ring and little finger.

    •Similarly, hold your breath for a few seconds by keeping both the nostrils shut.

    •Lastly, exhale from the left nostril, while shutting the right one with the thumb.

    •This will complete one full cycle of anulom vilom. The next cycle is begun by following the above steps and alternating between the two nostrils.

    Please check here for visual reference

    .

    .

    Duration :

    •Perform this exercise 10 minutes everyday

    •The favorable ratio for Anuloma Viloma is 1:3:1. That means if you take 4 second time in inhalation, then take 4 sec time for exhalation and hold the breath in for 12 sec.

    •But if you are a beginner then start with 4:4:4 ratio.

    submitted by /u/Realgainsforreal
    [link] [comments]

    How does one start working out, especially from home.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 06:33 AM PDT

    I'm a 23 year old female 5'8 and 154lbs. I'm looking to sort of tone my body as I'm starting to get a tummy due to no longer being active. I was always very hard into sports but now dont really have time and due to a knee repeatedly dislocating they're very hard on my body.

    In the last 2 or 3 years I've struggled to get active again, working out is the epitome of boring for me, but I've always felt that my active weight at 135ish is good for me. Where do you start and how do you stay committed I find working out so dry which is why sports were so great but obviously that isn't an option right now, and working 60+ hours a week it's not realistic regularly either. I have a fairly healthy diet due to dietary restrictions, I cannot eat a lot of fat I can't digest it.

    I've been looking at home workouts on line but I'm overwhelmed and not sure what will work if anything. How effective are YouTube work outs?

    TIA

    submitted by /u/Brittelil
    [link] [comments]

    suggestions on finding time to work out

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 08:14 PM PDT

    I (24M) moved to New York last year after graduating college, and it has been rough- largely because of body issues and constantly being surrounded by beautiful people. I had a similar issue when starting college and ended up losing like 45lbs over the course of a year because food started disgusting me (putting something in my mouth reminded me of my weight). I've gained thirty of it back this year (desk jobs suck!)

    I understand I have body issues, and that dieting basically always results in gaining the weight back (as has been my experience, and as says science )so i know that if I want to see results of meaning, it has to come from consistently working out and making my body stronger. Herein lies my dilemma.

    I work in consulting, and as such, my hours freaking SUCK. Today I worked from 8am-8pm (though I would say I'm usually off by 6/6:30). WFH has been nice since I don't spend 1.5 hours/day commuting, in which case my days are like 6am-7pm. I'm SO confused how other people in my role at work manage to work out. By the time I finish work, cook dinner, and deal with other lil household tasks, it's already 9:30 and I'm exhausted. I've found the weekends an excellent time, but I'm not sure two days/week is going to do anything drastic...

    I feel so trapped. I want nothing more than to exercise consistently, but when I get the time to do it I've been awake for for 12+ hours and can barely keep my eyes open. I could wake up early to exercise, and have tried in college, but a medication I take makes getting less than 8 hours of sleep impossible.

    Any advice on scheduling, words of wisdom, ANYTHING would be helpful. I'm so tired of knowing that I could do better for my body but not having the time or energy to do so.

    submitted by /u/theyoungtired
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner at gym

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 05:04 PM PDT

    Hello,

    So recently i've had a minor health scare and was taken to hospital with a fast heart rate etc (simplified for privacy) and upon reflection when asked what exercise I (18M) do I realised I couldn't really say I do any at all. I'm off to uni in september in the UK and plan on accessing their student gym yet I don't really have a clue what to do there, other than knowing I need to focus on cardiovascular. I do not plan on doing any weights either due to a shoulder issue and nerve problems in said shoulder.

    What would your advice for beginning there or other general advice.

    submitted by /u/EnergeticallyTired
    [link] [comments]

    More or less a beginner, just seeking some advice.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 05:06 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, first of all let me just say I have a little experience with lifting, but only for around half a year (and I gave up after that as I barely noticed any gains/difference, and I know, I didn't give it enough time! :( )

    So basically, I am a tall guy, standing around 6'4, I currently weigh 95 KG (around 208? 209 LBs or so)

    and I'm currently watching my calories intake to lose some more weight, I have always been a big lad (My heaviest was years ago when I was well above 120 KG) so I do have some loose skin on my stomach. Most of my 'fat' is around there, my chest and thighs.

    My question is, I am wondering what sort of routine would be most suitable for me? I have access to a full gym and plan to attend at least 3 times a week (I want to do 4 though if possible) and I plan to make sure I reach my protein goal, but still maintain a caloric deficit. I understand I won't be gaining much muscle while on a deficit, but to my understanding as I am quite new to it, I should still gain some and when I reach a more comfortable stage I do plan to bulk.

    In my previous lifting experience, I had already dropped down to 80 KG and began to bulk, but as noted above I gave up as I just did a simple routine and didn't bother looking much into it.

    Now I am much more interested and have other motivations involved that are causing me to actually make the effort, but I want to do it right.

    My goal is to again drop down to around 80KG (maybe lower? I am not sure what would be recommended) and begin to bulk again, but I want to start with a routine now as I believe it's still good to do while losing weight, and gradually progress in strength.

    Sorry for the wall of text, and I appreciate any help/advice given, thanks! :)

    submitted by /u/Xhanibear
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment