• Breaking News

    Sunday, July 12, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 12, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 12, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 12, 2020

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is it true that you can get a good workout with only 3-4 exercises and about 45 minutes?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 11:52 PM PDT

    I read somewhere yesterday that you could get a good workout with only 3-4 good exercises and that it might even be better than doing more exercises. This would be good news since I won't have that much time to work out when the summer ends.

    At the moment I usually spend around 2 hours at the gym every other day. I run or bike for like 10 minutes and then do maybe 10-16 different exercises 3x10 reps. I'm not really sure if that is too much but I don't feel that tired after only 45 minutes so it never occured to me that 45 minutes is all I need. So I wanted to check with you guys to see if you have any experience with shorter workouts.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Cool_Or_Not-Cool
    [link] [comments]

    for those who overcame a shitty relationship with food: how?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 01:00 AM PDT

    hi, new female lifter here. so i've had a fucked mentality when it comes to food for YEARS – OMAD bc i feel guilty about eating at a buffet the day before, "oh i already ate some icecream so might as well just go full out", constantly thinking about food, mentally torturing myself in general. i cannot think of a recent point in time where i haven't had a messed up perception of food.

    now that i've started lifting, i realize that this inconsistency in diet/eating will severely limit my progress in strength/hypertrophy. for my body type to make gains, i need to simply eat at maintenance but i find it so hard – i either overeat or undereat daily and it's a vicious a cycle. for those with somewhat similar experiences, how did you overcome this psychological hurdle????

    submitted by /u/ajazers_1
    [link] [comments]

    Victory Sunday

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Victory Sunday Thread

    It is Sunday, 6:00 am here in the eastern half of Hyder, Alaska. It's time to ask yourself: What was the one, best thing you did on behalf of your fitness this week? What was your Fitness Victory?

    We want to hear about it!

    So let's hear your fitness Victory this week! Don't forget to upvote your favorite Victories!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Honestly how much do the guys with sculpted bodies train?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 01:45 AM PDT

    I'm seeing all this back and forth on the internet. Youtube, forums and journalists all have pieces on "training too much" and then another on "go to the limits!" I NEVER see a frank, objective, boring recommendation.

    Granted different goals justify different recommendations for those goals. Maybe a pro athlete has different requirements than someone who just wants to look great. But these can still be easily stated. Or should they be?

    submitted by /u/staytrue1985
    [link] [comments]

    Good bodyweight workout routine?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 04:17 AM PDT

    Was thinking of the following as my workout program for the next good 6-8 months. Question - is Recommended routine by far the best bodyweight program? anyone else had good success with other programs?

    submitted by /u/Phayker
    [link] [comments]

    How much weight per certain exercise? It's hard for me to estimate how much I can lift. (PHUL program)

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 04:12 AM PDT

    Hi. I know this is a bit of a loaded question. So I'll try to provide as much information as possible. As a beginner, it's hard to tell if I'm not pushing myself hard enough or if I'm hurting proper form by using a weight that's too heavy. I'm just interested for a regular healthy person, what do the numbers look like per exercise? In which exercise should I try to increase weight? Maybe I'm lifting too much weight in a certain exercise?

    I'm male, 23 years old. I weigh 84 kg and I'm 184 cm tall.

    I'm 7 weeks in the program so far. I've seen good progress on my legs, calves, back and chest, but my arms still feel/look like a bit skinny. I have a slightly bigger stomach so my abs are not showing. I also didn't do any suggested additional ab work during this routine but I will work on that.

    Here are my numbers at the moment (Format is = Sets X Weight X Reps):

    UPPER POWER

    Barbell Bench Press: 4x 50kg x5

    Dumbell Incline Bench Press: 3x 14kg x8

    Bent Over Row: 3x 45kg x5

    Overhead Press: 3x 30kg x5

    Lat Pulldown: 3x 40kg x8

    Barbell Curl: 3x 15kg x8

    Skullcrushers: 3x 10kg x8

    UPPER HYPERTROPHY

    Incline Bench Press: 3x 42.5kg x8

    Cable Seated Row: 3x 45kg x8

    Dumbell One Arm Row: 3x 14kg x8

    Dumbell Flat Bench Fly: 3x 6kg x8

    Dumbell Lateral Raise: 3x 6kg x8

    Dumbell Incline Seated Curls: 3x 8kg x8

    Cable Triceps Extension: 3x 15kg x8

    LOWER POWER

    Barbell Squat: 4x 50kg x5

    Deadlift: 4x 50kg x5

    Leg Press: 4x 50kg x12

    Lying Leg Curls: 3x 28kg x8

    Seated Calf Raise: 4x 30kg x8

    LOWER HYPERTROPHY

    Front Squat: 3x 35 x8

    Barbell Lunge: 3x 30 x8

    Leg Extensions: 3x 25kg x8

    Lying Leg Curls: 3x 28kg x8

    Seated Calf Raise: 3x 30kg x8

    Calf Press on Leg Press machine: 4x 50kg x10

    So basically, next time I'm in the gym, in which exercise would you recommend to me to try to lift heavier or lighter weights?

    submitted by /u/Fer0xx
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for extremely weak arms?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 03:52 AM PDT

    So I'm recovering from an eating disorder, and because of the low amount of food intake these past months my muscles got very weak. I've been eating and daily exercising everyday for a month now and I'm getting back my muscles and strength except for my arms. My arms are very weak. When doing one exercise I can barely do it and my arms immediately start to shake. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/Bluebluue
    [link] [comments]

    Sitz Bones hurt on stationary bike

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 03:18 AM PDT

    Hi r/Fitness, as all the world is currently on lockdown and the part of the country I'm in is in lockdown, I have bought myself a stationary bike to still keep active.

    I just don't know if this is the place to ask, please re-direct if you know where I should be going instead.

    I realised after peddling for 5 minutes, my sitz bones are sore and continue to be sore for the next few minutes after coming off the bike.

    At first, I purchased a gel pad bike seat but have not seen an improvement. I was wondering if I should go online to purchase a new seat, but I'm worried that it will come back with the same situation.

    Since the gyms are closed, I can't really go to the gym to have a look at their stationary bike to see how it is different from mine, so I thought to ask everyone on here to see if they have any insight.

    Should I be looking at the length/width/height/material when purchasing? What else should I be looking at as well? Please enlighten me. I would greatly appreciate any help possible.

    Thank you in advance! <3

    submitted by /u/mynameisirodim
    [link] [comments]

    5day lowerbody(push pull) 1 day leg (6 times a week).

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 03:01 AM PDT

    I have been cycling for 5 years (25km to school daily) which resulted in massive legs. Since i already have massive legs i dont really want to train them bigger. I dont know if their is a 5 day upper body split with 1 day leg day and 1 day rest. I came up with this idea push --> pull --> legs --> push --> pull --> push/pull(rotate each week) --> rest <-repeat

    submitted by /u/Worth-Ask
    [link] [comments]

    Is walking to and from my gym (5 km each way/10000 steps) good enough as cardio for my health or should I also include more high intensity cardio?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 02:21 AM PDT

    I had gotten really into running when the gyms were closed because I had a hard time training my legs otherwise. But since the gyms have re-opened I've kind of fallen off from running/doing other cardio besides walking. Bodybuilding is my passion but I also care about my health but I find it hard to have motivation for any kind of cardio after already doing a whole workout routine for 1-1,5 hours. I've thought about running home from the gym on leg days but I would love to hear other people solution to getting their cardio in.

    submitted by /u/Nuarada
    [link] [comments]

    Have anyone done 6 miles under 40 min and lifted 7x bodyweight?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 01:45 AM PDT

    In the tactical fitness domain a discussion is what is the ideal body weight where you are a fast as you are strong and how to balance them. In different tactical athlete forums you can find something around these numbers below. There theory is that if you exceed these numbers you will be to heavy and impact your running time.

    Pull-up (weight): 60% BW

    Overhead Press: 125% BW

    Bench Press: 150% BW

    Squat: 200% BW

    Deadlift: 250% BW

    I have put in a lot of time to research this area to disprove this idea and find the sweetspot body weight. I have not find anyone who can run a sub 40 min 6 mile run and do these strength numbers at the same weight. And especially someone who outperform the strength numbers by more than 20-30% and still run fast on 6 mile.

    submitted by /u/WalterHuey
    [link] [comments]

    How would I gain more strength?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 01:32 AM PDT

    So I'm joining the army next year February, but would like to build strength and lots of endurance so that I can be fully prepared for when it comes to basic training, since I have roughly 7 months to train is there any best workouts/plans/exercise that anyone recommends? I'm not looking to gain lots of mass but just to be lean and strong. I did hear that compound movements like squats/deadlifts/bench as well as push ups/pull ups/ dips are good workouts but would like to know if there's any other exercises? And also what's a good workout plan for the week if I am going to train? I'm weighing at 58kgs but I'm able to do pull ups 8x3, dips 10x4, bench 55kgs 4-5x5, squat 70kgs 5x5, deadlift roughly 90kgs 8x5 and cable flys 8kgs 8x5. Any tips or advice or anything else I should know? I've tried split days and full body workouts but still don't know which one is best.

    Also I am struggling to gain strength and improve the amount of weights I lift.

    submitted by /u/hisoka_king99
    [link] [comments]

    How do lower trap raises work the lower traps?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 01:30 AM PDT

    Just for clarity, I am talking about the exercise where you are standing and raise a plate from your waist to over your head.

    Most of the stress on the lower traps is at the top of the movement, correct?

    Since the role of the lower traps is scapular depression (correct me if I am wrong), I struggle to see how the lower trap raise would to a large degree, work anything but the anterior deltoids.

    submitted by /u/Tex_Betts
    [link] [comments]

    Caloric intake issues

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 01:12 AM PDT

    Hello, first time posting here, so call me out if I accidentally break a rule (I think I read them well enough to avoid that)

    I am having issues with consuming the amount of calories that I am supposed to eat in any given day. I'm not even subtracting the amount I burn with my daily activity and I still don't hit it.

    According to https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html and the app MyPlate, I should be consuming around 2500 calories per day just to maintain. I however, am almost never hitting that goal aside from a few rare days where I eat a large meat based meal. I usually only consume around 1700 calories and feel completely full and fine for the day.

    I've been working out for a year and a half and have always hated the idea of somebody starving themselves or letting a computer algorithm force somebody into being a glutton. Any ideas on how to get over this? I'm looking at trying to gain more muscle without putting on fat, but I feel like this calorie issue is keeping me in one spot.

    Info: male, 18 years old, 5'7, 155-160lbs (70-72kg), ~10 or ~15% body fat, 5-6 workouts per week, currently no cardio on account of shin issues (bad shoes).

    submitted by /u/Fergclan
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on 1 hour running, 1 hour cycling, 1 hour swimming and 2 hours gym?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 01:11 AM PDT

    Hi all, I'm gonna be attempting to maintain a lifestyle of running, cycling and swimming for 1 hour each and then hit the gym for 2 hours, I'm aware that this will result in roughly 2000 calories burnt plus an additional 2000 daily calories so I'll be burning 4000 calories a day.

    What is everyones thoughts on this and do you think this is doable, my mileage for running is 40+ kilometres, I have prior experience with cycling and gyming, use to gym for 1 hour and 30 mins everyday and use to cycle for an hour a day. I dont have any experience with swimming.

    If I feel that I cant maintain this I'll probably cut the swimming to 30 mins and cycling to 45 mins.

    submitted by /u/MichaelNel0905
    [link] [comments]

    Will using a ez curl bar help bench pressing?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 01:06 AM PDT

    I don't have a bench press at my house but the workout I've been doing includes using a ez curl bar with heavy weights. I'm tryna eventually get my bench press numbers up when the gyms are safe.

    submitted by /u/curioustrigga
    [link] [comments]

    Hypertrophy from Stationary Bike?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 01:03 AM PDT

    Cranking resistance to max, standing on the pedals and keeping hips fairly in place, will this contribute to growth all over the legs? I aim for two sets of twenty minutes of very tough cycling thrice weekly, I imagine it will lead to at least modest growth. General googling yields the usual "tone and sculpt those pins!" but nothing in-depth. Cycling in this manner is my preferred cardio so I was hoping to kill several birds with one stone.

    Thoughts and experiences?

    submitted by /u/GenericExpat
    [link] [comments]

    piece/area of fat at top of thighs?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 12:22 AM PDT

    hello fitness reddit! i am a 14 year old female who has been actively working out for about the past year (cardio, leg, arms, abs) and am now 107-110 pounds and about 5'4. i do not have access to a gym and only do workouts nor do i have any injuries or smoke/drink. my initial goal for exercising and dieting (as well as caring more about my nutrition intake) was to lose weight as i was a bit heavier before in my earlier years, but i found it also helps me feel great and boosts my energy. however, i do have a problem that has been long recurring, which is a segment of fat at the top of my thighs that is very difficult to minimize, even through legs exercises. if i didn't have that piece of fat up there, i could have a perfect thigh gap by now, which is a bit discouraging. i will include a drawing in a link at the end of my post to help you all visualize what my situation here is :)) rn i am also trying a new workout to help improve the circumstances of this problem, but please let me know if you have any solutions!! thank you for your time everyone and here is the link: https://imgur.com/a/qWojtaG

    submitted by /u/yoomoongi
    [link] [comments]

    Is it bad to do my daily run before I eat my first meal?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 03:30 AM PDT

    I've been doing OMAD and running a couple miles 6 times a week for the past few weeks since i figures I might as well use this time to get some decent habits instilled. I usually eat my meal after I run, but I usually wait to run until the afternoon or the evening.

    Is this inadvisable? Some days it's tough and I feel really low energy but most of the time it's fine.

    submitted by /u/fried_seabass
    [link] [comments]

    Thin arms

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 11:36 PM PDT

    Hi! I am a 22 year old man, with very thin forearms. Just measured 6 inches at wrist and pretty much same overall. They dont look good because of my big hands. I am a vegeterian, dont eat eggs and stuff. Plz recommend a vegeterian deit and some excercise which I can do at home. Also I have got 8 kg dumbells. Thanks, take care.

    submitted by /u/qadratic
    [link] [comments]

    vomiting to maintain weight?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 01:25 AM PDT

    what be recently been eating a lot more than i used to, along with drinking a lot more alcohol. While i do keep up with my daily runs, workouts, and stretches, i'm worried i will still gain weight. I've taken to making myself vomit after eating excessively or drinking as to lose calories. i know a lot of people worry that this may become an eating disorder, but i am not doing it habitually. only when i go too far. i was wondering if this had genuine benefits or if it is in vein. thanks!

    submitted by /u/ShaunD1999
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment