• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 7, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 07, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 07, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 07, 2020

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Changing how I run

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 02:52 PM PDT

    I've always ran with my heels contacting first and everyone says that I should try to run on the ball of my feet or my toes since it's better for your knees. It seems like a mental struggle always reminding myself how to run since I've been doing it heel first my entire life, any advice on how to make it easier? Or is just something I have to stick through Until it becomes the new norm.

    submitted by /u/DeadliftBromigo
    [link] [comments]

    Is half assing a workout better than nothing? Or should I just wait till I’m ready to go 100%?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 03:37 AM PDT

    Is half assing a workout better than nothing? Or should I just wait till I'm ready to go 100%?

    I lift 4-5x a week, Monday-Friday. I usually take weekends off, but sometimes I really want to go. I don't push myself as hard, and might do an exercise less for each split.

    submitted by /u/drunkbackpacker
    [link] [comments]

    Victory Sunday

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Victory Sunday Thread

    It is Sunday, 6:00 am here in the eastern half of Hyder, Alaska. It's time to ask yourself: What was the one, best thing you did on behalf of your fitness this week? What was your Fitness Victory?

    We want to hear about it!

    So let's hear your fitness Victory this week! Don't forget to upvote your favorite Victories!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think about while working out to distract yourself?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 12:03 AM PDT

    Do you count the seconds in your head? Do you think of a memory to distract? Do you think about how good it'll feel once the workout is over?

    submitted by /u/pokemongooutwithme
    [link] [comments]

    Is 28mph on a bike resistance trainer realistic?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 02:59 PM PDT

    I (25F) consider myself to be a pretty fit person and usually run and do strength workouts. For the last two months I've been training cardio exclusively on my bike resistance trainer and I just got a cadence meter and speedometer. It says I averaged 28mph for my 50 mile bike ride. I input my tire size and everything. Is this a realistic speed considering I'm on a resistance trainer? I have no concept of bike speed but am seeing that 28mph is how fast professionals go on flat ground. Are resistance trainers considered easier than even flat ground? I'm fit but I have trouble believing this was accurate.

    Edit: Thanks everyone for the discussion! I gained a lot of insight. Seems like the consensus is that 28mph was probably accurate, which is what I was wondering, but just not comparable at all to outside which I'm fine with. I'm impressed with how in depth this got, thanks so much for all the information!

    submitted by /u/AnonymousPika
    [link] [comments]

    What should I look for when buying a punching bag?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 01:46 PM PDT

    Hello. Im almost 18 years old, Im 6'0" and weight 205lbs. I have been going to the gym and working out from home for about 3 months now. I am doing strenght traning so 8 reps 4 sets with max weight I can handle with proper form. I have always been very weak because of constant laziness and playing videogames all day and now that I finally got a little bit stronger I would like to buy a punching bag to practice self defense. There are not many punching bags to choose from in my country but I found one that is 80lbs and around 52 inches tall for around 125$. and I was wondering if this would be a good starting point. Also do I need proper boxing gloves for that or will mma gloves be enough?

    submitted by /u/6_9_9_6
    [link] [comments]

    Exercises to improve rate of force development for hip and core rotation

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 05:16 PM PDT

    Hoping to add power to the rotation of my kinetic chain. Really wanting to build strength in my hips and the entirety of my core and then convert that strength into greater rotational velocity.

    Thought I would ask the denizens of r/fitness how they would go about something like this.

    My thoughts were along the lines of:

    Trap bar deadlift as a staple, periodized to first gain an appreciable baseline strength over time, and then supplement with trap bar speed work.

    Also, incorporating rotational "tornado bag" work (back against wall, holding sandbag, 10-15 lbs, and rotating side to side hitting wall with bag, aiming for maximal velocity.

    Improving on Hanging leg raises.

    Rotational Med ball work.

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Bright-Pepper
    [link] [comments]

    No leg day in Brad Pitts' fight club workout

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 11:16 PM PDT

    Hi all! For the past couple of days I've been looking at different workout regimes and the one Brad Pitt did for fight club caught my eye and I kinda wanna do it.

    But there is something that bothers me - there is no leg day, no leg excersises, nada. I suppose it makes sense for the movies since he was shirtless a lot of the time but I don't recall seeing him in his trunks. But from a fitness stand point doesn't seem right.

    Do you think it's a good routine regardless? Should one adjust it, adding leg day?

    Here is the workout https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/brad-pitt-fight-club-workout/?format=amp

    Edit: added a link

    submitted by /u/TheRudeWaiter
    [link] [comments]

    Does weightlifting cause tighter muscles?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 11:11 PM PDT

    Before lock down I'd lift 4 days per week, 5/3/1. I was doing stretches daily, and was pretty tight. Also would have a painful lower back about once a week, caused by tight QL's. But it was all manageable with stretches.

    During lock down the gyms were closed for about 6 weeks. I noticed that my lower back pain was almost non existent, and during stretches I was way more flexible.

    Now the gyms have re-opened, and it's back to how it was before. I'm way more tight. Just did some stretches, and even though it was 2 days ago since my last lift, I was still very tight across my back & hips.

    Why am I more tight when lifting?

    submitted by /u/nzhappykiwi
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone returning to the gym?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 04:24 AM PDT

    Thankfully the country I'm in managed to reach zero new cases since last month and everything returned to normal, gyms reopened recently around my area, but with some strict guidelines and rules to follow. For example they won't accept new members, gloves and masks are a must. Luckily I am able to renew my membership, since I've been a member before the whole lockdown started.

    The thing is I'm really tempted to go back, but I'm still feeling anxious about returning even though supposedly it is safe now.

    So any of you returning to the gym? If so, how you're managing to be safe out there?

    submitted by /u/MORDFUSTANG0
    [link] [comments]

    Bowflex Max Total question

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 07:19 PM PDT

    I'm 6'3", 320 pounds, and am considering buying a Bowflex Max Trainer. I'm wondering if I'm too tall for this machine.

    Anyone out there have any experience with this? I'm presuming it'll be the same size/specs of Gym style elliptical machines, but would want to know this first.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/rvbarton
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to lift heavy weights without risking being given a warning because of screaming, grunting or banging the weights?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 02:45 AM PDT

    I do understand that it can be annoying for some people which is why I try to keep the screaming or banging to a minimum as possible.

    However, in a certain way, grunting or banging the weights also helps. The grunting allows me to do that extra push when I feel the weights getting heavier or my energy is slowly depleting, and simply letting go of the weights is a more energy-efficient way to converse your energy and not risk getting injured when you lower your weights, especially if it is very heavy like when I do the deadlift or the clean and jerk,

    But for some people, amongst of all the other noises that are happening in the gym and the grunts and thuds that you occasionally hear, I sometimes get a warning because my grunts and thuds are too loud or too frequent when I often keep in mind to keep at a bare minimum but at the same time, I cannot help it

    submitted by /u/sammyjamez
    [link] [comments]

    change PHUL to a 5 day routine?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 01:20 AM PDT

    im really enjoying PHUL but I would like to add another upper power day to wednesday and swap the 2 hypertrophy days. so it would look like:

    mon- upper power

    tues- lower power

    wed- upper power

    thurs- lower hyp

    fri- upper hyp

    has anyone else tried this? I feel like 48 hours is enough rest between upper days and lower days. any thoughts? Maybe do upper hyp on Wednesday and upper power on Friday?

    submitted by /u/nuniezz
    [link] [comments]

    If the total rep volume is the same, will the hypertrophic adaptation be similar?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 07:16 PM PDT

    Say for a given exercise such as high bar squats, if you were to do 3 sets of 8 reps at 75%, would the muscle adaptation be similar to if you did 8 sets of 3 with the same load?

    The total volume is still the same but does that even matter when trying to maximize hypertrophy?

    submitted by /u/InappropriateBiscuit
    [link] [comments]

    Bulking vs Recomposition as 135lb male

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 11:55 PM PDT

    Hey, I'm a 135lb 20y/0 male. I've been lifting weights 3-4 times a week for 2 months. Run/play basketball 1-2 times a week. My body fat % is currently 18%.

    My main goal from lifting is to drastically reduce my body fat%, while only gaining like 10-15 pounds. (Number doesn't have to be exact I can go slightly more or less)

    I have a good workout plan and now just need to diet properly for my desired results, but as a person who is 135lbs is it possible to gain like 10-15lbs of muscle (over time) while primarily looking to drastically reduce body fat %. Should I lean more towards the bulk or towards the recomp or a mix? Would love any advice I'm new to lifting weights.

    --I just needed opinions because I've done a ton of research on this topic but was wondering if anyone knew of like slight bulking (without a ton of weight gain) or body recomp while looking to gain a tiny bit of weight. Google didn't really help me with that specific

    submitted by /u/Johnrobs20
    [link] [comments]

    How do I make my forearms explode/get bigger and wider

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 11:54 PM PDT

    I have long for arms and small wrist and want to explode my forearms. Im a still young barely 18 and basically my goal is to look like baki in this pic, ik its anime and not realistic but I think its possible and im not that far away. I just have to try to get wider shoulders and forearms even though its probably genetic.

    Anyways any training for forearms? Ik people say it'll grow overtime with your body but i think they'll only grow substantially if I waited until I was a mass monster which I don't want to be

    submitted by /u/JoshtheBob
    [link] [comments]

    I’m gonna start working out but I’m worried.

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 11:04 PM PDT

    I'm 15M. I'm five foot seven, and I weight 180 lbs. I'm gonna start working out but since I'm a hypochondriac I'm worried I might have a heart attack. How much would be too much for me?

    submitted by /u/hireddithow
    [link] [comments]

    Are there recommended routines on any sub similar to what Paul Sklar does?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 04:22 PM PDT

    He seems to use a mix of barbell, bodyweight and bands that I am interested in. I have not found any program that combines these styles into one. Are there free programs available online that do this?

    submitted by /u/Rilandi
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment