• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 16, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 16, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 16, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 16, 2020

    Posted: 16 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Should people in their early 20's who have been cutting for 4+ months worry about having a slower metabolism when going back to maintenance calories?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 02:38 PM PDT

    I'm 20 years old, 183 cm, 72 kg. Looking to end my cut soon at around 70-71 kg with a 12-13% body fat after losing around 17 kg. However, I've started to worry about gaining fat when going back to my maintenance. How do I go about bumping up my calories? Or should I just not worry at all because of my age? Any input is greatly appreciated!

    Edit: I meant my new maintenance calories of course. Thank you for all of your replies. I'm much less concerned now.

    submitted by /u/Nuarada
    [link] [comments]

    Gym Story Saturday

    Posted: 16 May 2020 12:15 AM PDT

    Hi! Welcome to your weekly thread where you can share your gymless tales!

    submitted by /u/FGC_Valhalla
    [link] [comments]

    Self-Promotion Saturday

    Posted: 16 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Self-Promotion Saturday

    This thread will serve as a weekly AutoModerator post, for anyone looking to get exposure for their Instagram, Youtube, blogspot, RedditMade, Kickstarter, TeeSpring, MySpace, AOL, stand-alone website, or stand-alone physical product.

    This post is the one time where people can advertise without repercussions, and the one thread when anything goes. All other advertisements will continue to be removed as per Rule #8.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Any one handed workouts?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 03:18 AM PDT

    My non dominant was broken for the past 6 months and its a lot weaker now. What can I do to balance my strength?

    submitted by /u/GiraffeNeckAss
    [link] [comments]

    Should young athletes stretch?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 02:34 AM PDT

    Should young athletes stretch? I'm talking between ages 9-16, is there any benefit for them to stretch?is there specific advice catered to them? and is there things they mustn't do specifically?

    submitted by /u/KindaFrench
    [link] [comments]

    Progressing question

    Posted: 16 May 2020 12:13 AM PDT

    I've been doing a routine since quarantine, and I'm about to reach the max weight available with my dumbbells, and sadly I don't have access to more. I'm wondering if I should start another routine and start from the lightest weight again and work my way up or is that a waste of time? If so, what can I do to progress? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/emoretherobber
    [link] [comments]

    Muscle growth when using other hand to help with one-handed tricep extension/skullcrushers?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 11:39 PM PDT

    Working out earlier, I've always wondered if this does result in muscle growth.

    What I mean is say I max out with 10ish reps on a one handed tricep extension or dumbell skullcrusher. If i use my other arm to help bring up the arm to it's peak for like 2-3 more reps after my initial normal reps, does this have any muscle growth benefits?

    NOTE: Remember, I'm only doing this after I did my already normal max reps for that set.

    submitted by /u/The_New_New
    [link] [comments]

    Does eating carbs during a workout hinder gains?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 02:59 AM PDT

    Just got out of an intense weight session ( lasted around 1h30), and found halfway through I was feeling exhausted and lacking energy to complete my reps, so I ate bites of my post workout snack ( smoked salmon on rye bread) inbetween sets, and found that I was able to push myself that little extra further.

    will this affect my gains ( am trying to build muscle) ?

    submitted by /u/AromaticStomach
    [link] [comments]

    Body weight training : Add sets or reps?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    Aiming to double my burpees from 100 to 200.

    Currently doing 4 sets of 30.

    How should I aim for 200 total? Is there a better way?

    submitted by /u/nwtay
    [link] [comments]

    Workout / movement that keeps a 1 year old entertained?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 02:28 AM PDT

    As titled, used to be consistent in the gym and at home in terms of extra work (yoga/stretching/breath work)

    However, with just one demon child, both of us are a mess. We're unable to create time to exercise consistently as demon childs sleeping is unpredictable at best and non-existent at worst.

    I've tried crawls and primal stuff in the garden just to get moving but it doesn't keep the kid engaged for long. Anyone successfully involved a toddler in this stuff? I just want to get moving more and bonus if it tires the little one out while my wife gets a much needed break

    submitted by /u/shicky4
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about Dumbbell / Dumbbell PPL from Wiki

    Posted: 16 May 2020 02:03 AM PDT

    Hi! Does anyone here have experience with the dumbell or dumbbell PPL from the wiki? I understand that it's recommended for those without alternatives (given it's in the wiki), but does anyone here have firsthand experience that they can share? Looking to start it within the week. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/tabachoii
    [link] [comments]

    Is failure really necessary to grow or I can fix it and turn it into my advantage?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 01:57 AM PDT

    Im on 11th week of PPL and gained a lot of strength but not so good in aesthetics. I feel like my strength gain is slow. As we all know PPL calls for 3x8-12 sets and reps for the exercises

    I am wondering if instead of doing 3x12 of lets say 35kg of bench press, what if I change all of them and make it 4x9 and much heavier of like 40kgs, will it be beneficial?

    I'm thinking in this set up of 4x9, I won't reach failure and im always maxing out the volume. (Getting 12 reps in 1 go is making me fail and of course if you fail 3x on that weight, youre gonna deload. But if you do 4x9 which is the same volume of the upper range of 3x8-12 which is 3x12, I'm avoiding the failure plus i can add more weight = bigger volume than the 3x12 lighter weight)

    Thoughts on these? Will this be beneficial or the 3x8-12 is still the best combo?

    submitted by /u/itsyaboy_spidey
    [link] [comments]

    3rd injury in 2 weeks since starting lifting again. How to avoid them?

    Posted: 15 May 2020 11:40 PM PDT

    I'm 28, started lifting again after a few years of not lifting at all, just cycling/boxing training.

    I started PPL 2 weeks ago. 2nd day of deadlifts, they really fuck my lower back up. Very painful for 2 days, then the pain disappears. A week later, bent over rows destroy my lower back, tailbone pain out of the ass (pun intended). Not DOMS, not soreness, but legit pain. Tailbone pain was gone the next day. I've done Rows 5 times since with no issue. Tonight was leg night, squats go great, front squats go great, RDLs go great, and then once I get to DB lunges, I feel my right quad "pop" or move. Whatever it was, it made me throw the dumbbells down in pain. 3 hours later, the pain is barely noticeable. All upper body workouts go flawlessly.

    I don't stretch before working out. Just do the workout with the bar and then bar plus light weight before doing sets.

    My form is good. These are all lifts I'm used to and did for 11 years through high school and college sports and after graduating.

    I'm only using weights I can lift 8 reps relatively easily, tough to push to 10-12. The weight may still be relatively heavy for someone who hasn't worked out in years: 325 lb squats, 200 lb front squats, 225 lb RDLs, 350 lb deadlifts. I'm also noticing my quads are getting hit the worst with DOMS.

    So what am I doing wrong? Am I lifting too hard even though I can handle the weight? Should I be doing dynamic stretching? Skip some leg days and just do push, pull?

    submitted by /u/soosheegoochee
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment