• Breaking News

    Wednesday, May 13, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 13, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 13, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 13, 2020

    Posted: 13 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Do some people just respond better to body-weight training compared to weight-lifting?

    Posted: 12 May 2020 06:35 AM PDT

    So I haven't been to the gym in 2 months, during which I did full-body training with body-weight exercises 6 days a week. I was expecting to lose gains but instead what actually happened is the opposite - I've gained noticeably more visual muscle size and definition than I did during my previous 6 months of training in the gym.

    In fact, it's so noticeable that, even tho I highly prefer the experience of lifting iron, I'm strongly considering not going back to gym at all and sticking to body-weight exercises.

    What's interesting is that my total volume, intensity, amount of reps/sets, calorie intake and pretty much everything else was the same, except the exercises themselves, which include: deficit pushups, deficit handstand pushups, pullups, inverted rows, pistol squats and lunges.

    Deficit pushups deserve a special mention here because my chest has never been so defined/developed when i was bench pressing. The difference is in fact tremendous.

    So anyway, the question is in the title: do some people just respond better to body-weight training compared to weight-lifting?

    submitted by /u/TheBarbellBear
    [link] [comments]

    How much of a difference is 130bpm to 160bpm for fat loss?

    Posted: 12 May 2020 11:19 PM PDT

    I am using a peloton bike for cardio everyday and I am struggling to stay at 160 bpm for 30 minutes flat after my workouts and 140bpm for 60 minutes on my rest days. I stay around 130-139bpm for all days. Does that gap make a difference from 130 to 160 for fat loss? My diet is perfect so I'm covered in that area. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/dividendman99
    [link] [comments]

    Is Pilates just as good as regular workouts for men?

    Posted: 13 May 2020 04:24 AM PDT

    I've been using a fitness app for about 3 months now, and just tried Pilates today. I'm wondering if Pilates gives as good results as normal core workouts? What are the differences?

    I'm trying to lose fat while gain muscle, is Pilates for me? (18 yo male) thanks!

    submitted by /u/zplasma
    [link] [comments]

    Is it bad to take pre workout everyday?

    Posted: 12 May 2020 10:32 PM PDT

    Someone once told me you can get gut rot so I try to only take it a couple times a week. However I have the best workouts and give it so much more.

    submitted by /u/79mLfree
    [link] [comments]

    Rant Wednesday

    Posted: 13 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Rant Wednesday: It's your time to let your gym/fitness/nutrition related frustrations out!

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Do grip trainers build up forearm muscles or just the grip strength?

    Posted: 12 May 2020 09:18 PM PDT

    I'm taking about those tong like squeezey things. If they do, how do I go about building my forearms with it? I have a variable tension one ( 10kg-40kg)

    submitted by /u/H_Hornblower
    [link] [comments]

    Help choosing indoor bike

    Posted: 13 May 2020 04:58 AM PDT

    Good morning! I want an indoor bike, with the following criteria:

    $800-2000
    Games or scenic routes a must have
    No subscriptions necessary

    Does this exist? Please advise

    -SZ

    submitted by /u/scientistzero
    [link] [comments]

    A question about whey

    Posted: 13 May 2020 05:04 AM PDT

    What does it mean if my whey starts crystallising into little shards around the little dosage cup? Yesterday i went to put some in my shake and saw this happen, but when i looked at it for about 5 seconds they started popping like popcorn and i had to put it back in. Is this a bad sign? What does it mean?

    submitted by /u/autistic_croat
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody have the commercial pro powerblocks?

    Posted: 13 May 2020 04:33 AM PDT

    Thinking about ordering the commercial pro 50s, but anyone know if they're expandable up to 90 pounds? I see that if you were to buy the 125 pound ones they could be expanded up to 175, but I'm unsure if the 50s too would be expandable up to 90. Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on it, sent them email a few days ago, but haven't heard back yet.

    submitted by /u/OhItsKillua
    [link] [comments]

    Calorie surplus/body fat percentage

    Posted: 13 May 2020 04:20 AM PDT

    Hello, I've been looking into how to gain muscular mass as of late, and found myself anxious about one part. if I were to do a calorie surplus and eat more calories than I would burn, would that mean my overall % body fat would increase? The last thing I'd want is to put on excess fat as vain as it sound. I'm already not too happy with how it is now and the last thing i would need is to be miserable looking at myself and seeing me become overweight. However I'm also lacking in muscle even after gym sessions, and I'd really like for me to look more hench and like I've progressed more.

    Any info or help would be very much appreciated

    submitted by /u/laggwuan
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on home/apartment gym

    Posted: 12 May 2020 11:13 PM PDT

    Hey guys live in an apartment and was thinking of getting a bench and some dumbbells. Trying to find a good way to soundproof my room. I was wondering if anyone else had done such a thing and if they had any advice on what I can do? I mean other than not dropping the dumbbells.

    submitted by /u/rleon19
    [link] [comments]

    New study analyzing 8 minute Rest Time Between Sets and bench Press Volume

    Posted: 12 May 2020 02:26 PM PDT

    I came across this T-Nation article where the author adduces a study which suggests that waiting 8 mins between bench press sets leads to a markedly greater amount of volume. The author argues that although 8 minutes is a long amount of time, we should be using longer rest periods between our compound lift sets than we normally do (for example, the typical advice is 2m30s, but perhaps it should be closer to 5m). Presumably the point is that greater overall strength can be built by getting more volume in per exercise through longer rest sets.

    My question for the more experienced members of this subreddit is simple: if you have the time to do this, then should you? Does a goal of strength vs a goal of hypertrophy (yes, I know they are tightly linked, but you see my point) affect whether you should implement these longer rest periods or not?

    submitted by /u/Sicilian_Drag0n
    [link] [comments]

    Weight gain with healthy diet and exercise

    Posted: 13 May 2020 05:09 AM PDT

    Been experimenting with two-a-day workouts since January. I do a light 20 minute bike ride in the morning and then boxing for an hour after work (we do high rep low weight lifting for about 30mins of class). I've been consistently eating healthy but haven't had a huge increase of protein intake. Been eating 2200-2600 calories daily. Alcohol hasn't really been a thing since I only socially drink and the bars are closed.

    I am 5'11 174lbs at the moment which is an 11lb increase since December. I feel stronger/fitter but don't necessarily look more fit.

    So problem is I am not happy about the weight gain. I've been wanting to hit 160lbs but that is not going well. Any tips of what I am doing wrong? Do I need to go a crazy cut to get to my goal?

    submitted by /u/AndrewR32
    [link] [comments]

    Focusing on one muscle group 3x per week effective?

    Posted: 13 May 2020 01:58 AM PDT

    Would it be effective to focus on one muscle group per week for 3x while trying to maintain other muscle groups?

    E.g. doing a lot of exercises and sets for chest within the same week while doing little sets for other muscle groups to maintain them.

    submitted by /u/Lorenz_Duremdes
    [link] [comments]

    Standard barbell for deadlifting and squatting

    Posted: 13 May 2020 01:12 AM PDT

    Are those standard 1 inch diameter barbells good enough for deadlifts and squats? Also do those spin less than traditional barbells? Not really trying to spend too much on equipment. Just trying to lift max 315 lb for home use.

    submitted by /u/Jarvis_777
    [link] [comments]

    Not improving

    Posted: 12 May 2020 11:50 PM PDT

    I have a test coming up to do 40 cadence pushups.

    I have been training consistently in pushups for the last 8 months and my cadence pushups have gone up and down. I have always had issues improving my pushups and also increasing weight whilst I was bench pressing.

    Over the course of 8 months, I have tried numerous workouts for 4-6 weeks before changing.

    I have tried 3-4 sets of max cadence pushups 3 x per week. With this I have varied rest time. 1 day will be 2 minutes rest between sets. Another will be 1 minute between sets and the next would be 30 seconds.

    I have tried 30 cadence pushups, 1 minute rest, 25 cadence pushuos, 1 minute rest, 20, 1 minute, 15. I did this for 5 weeks trying 2 days in a row then a day rest, 2 days in a row then 2 days rest.

    I have tried doing 4 sets of 15 reps, 3 days a week with 1 minute rest in between sets.

    I have tried doing regular pushups both to max sets or to a set amount say 4 sets of 20 reps with 30 seconds to 2 minutes rest.

    Every time I go to do the Max rep test, I make sure I have 3 days rest and then go for it. I very rarely make it past 34. When I began I was on 28.

    6 rep increase in 8 months is pathetic. I am 98kg but 14% body fat. I'm not unfit.

    I am thinking of just doing pushups twice a week but setting a timer for 5 minutes and doing as many hand release pushups as I can manage. Has anyone tried this and recommends it? Or can someone please give me pointers on how to improve?

    This has ALWAYS been my main issue. I have never been able to get 40 cadence pushups. What is wrong with me?

    submitted by /u/Clarkey3110
    [link] [comments]

    If, for example, you keep your forearm always parallel to the ground while holding a weight in your hand while leaning your torso forwards such that your arm goes from being fully extended at the elbow to being fully flexed at it, are you still doing a bicep curl?

    Posted: 12 May 2020 11:32 PM PDT

    Is there a concentric phase? Is there an eccentric phase? Or are you just performing isometrics at progressive stages of contraction? What will the effect of this be?

    Edit : Quick animation of the exercise. It looks a lot like the forward delt raise. http://imgur.com/a/5TkIUfc

    PS : I am only thinking about this in theory, not for suggestions as to an alternative because I'm not even planning to do this exercise unless there any net benefit. So all y'all "Just do curls" peeps, stay away. I'm already doing curls and don't intend to stop.

    submitted by /u/SoulsBorNioKiro
    [link] [comments]

    Taking multiple breaths between Deadlift reps makes me more tired

    Posted: 12 May 2020 10:41 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I find that if I take multiple breaths for a couple seconds between each reps, the rep gets more tiring and harder compare to simply taking one breath (exhale at bottom, inhale at bottom, hold breath throughout rep).

    Just wondering why that is and if I'm doing something wrong.

    submitted by /u/benchevy12
    [link] [comments]

    Will working out make my butt/boobs smaller?

    Posted: 12 May 2020 10:00 PM PDT

    I looked up the answer on Google and I got so many mixed answers, sorry if this isnt the right place to post.

    So I'm F18, i decided to work out with my brother for the first time ever today. I really liked it and I think I wanna start doing it more, but I'm not sure about this one thing.

    Will weightlifting make my butt/boobs smaller at first? And if it does could I maybe get some of the muscle back in my butt after I work for a while? I'm not overweight, about 125 pounds.

    submitted by /u/person495624
    [link] [comments]

    As a 16 year old kid that’s naturally toned and basically just wants to become more defined overall , should I worry about tracking macros , different diets , etc ?

    Posted: 12 May 2020 09:43 PM PDT

    Ive fine my research on different diets such as intermittent fasting , Keto , etc and basically I'm at a fork in the road. My daily routine is as follows ,

    Morning starts at around 9 AM

    i usually have egg whites , toast , a banana , a nutrigain bar along with some orange juice

    12 PM

    Usually the time I have a pretty solid lunch. Rice , beans , meat , veggies

    2-3 PM

    I head over to the park to workout and stay at the park until around 6:00 PM

    6:30 PM

    Dinner with a protein shake and I won't eat anything at all until 9 AM

    I'm currently at 5'10 and weighing around 150 pounds. If there's anything I can improve on diet wise let me know! As well as maybe fasting techniques ! I'm pretty toned already , abs show easily , solid chest , arms are pretty big as well.

    submitted by /u/germanxocampo
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment