• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 23, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 23, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 23, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 23, 2020

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Calorie deficit vs fasting

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 01:42 AM PDT

    Hey there! I recently got into a discussion with some friends regarding weight loss. As far as I am concerned it is as calorie deficit = weight loss and calorie surplus = weight gain. They were, however, convinced that you can essentially eat whatever you want if you fast for part of the day (only eat for eight hours of the day or so).

    Now I know that snacking is bad as it keeps your metabolism from kicking in properly (?) but is there more to weight loss than just calorie deficit vs surplus?

    submitted by /u/Bigbrain13
    [link] [comments]

    is it normal to have days where the amount of reps you can do in a set lessens?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 10:18 PM PDT

    I've been using a set of 20s for about a month while in isolation (making weight loss a goal since I no longer have any excuses not to do it after getting laid off and school got shut down), I've been doing bicep curls among other things and have been steadily going up in my reps since, the other night I got up to 75 (had my off day yesterday) and tonight I only made it to 60 (this is for bicep curls specifically), is there something I'm doing wrong or is it normal to have low activity days once in a while?

    side note: before this I did zero physical activity outside of things I needed to do in my day to day life if that has any impact on any responses

    submitted by /u/meeseekstodie137
    [link] [comments]

    does muscle repair burn calories?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    I've been getting into working out more lately (I've been aiming for 60-90 minutes a day) but sometimes my soreness makes me take a rest day. I just want to know, does this muscle repair after a particularly intense workout contribute to some more calories being lost throughout the day? If so, how much?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/lovelyzpipa
    [link] [comments]

    Coolcicada PPL, when to increase weight?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 02:52 AM PDT

    I don't seem to understand the progression system here. Am I suppose to go at 80% max? 90% ? 100% on every set/lift?

    If I can do bench 95-90kg for 5 sets and 3 reps ? what then? do I increase the weight on week 2? or every 2 weeks? or by the next push day?

    submitted by /u/pamagiclol
    [link] [comments]

    Do the negative effects of obesity depend on your previous athletic level?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 03:02 PM PDT

    A lot of modern science has begun incorporating previous states as explanations for current states (statistics, economic behavior theory, etc.) This got me thinking: Does a human body react differently when going from super-athletic to obese, compared to athletically average to obese?

    Imagine, for instance, Christiano Ronaldo going obese within a year or two, compared to your average Joe.

    I know this might be difficult to research, in a research field that is already struggling with sampling and method rigidity. But, if anyone has any links, I'd love to read them!

    submitted by /u/sverdo
    [link] [comments]

    Farmers Walk cues?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    I started doing these to help posture, and found they actually locked up my thoracic spine completely lol. I was using a slight shrug and contracting my lats hard, basically pinning my arms to my sides. Would these better be cued as retract & depress the scapula? Who would've thought picking up and carrying something would be complicated.

    submitted by /u/r0cafe11a
    [link] [comments]

    Lightweight Dumbbell Exercises

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 10:13 PM PDT

    I only have 10 lb and 25 lb dumbbells would it be possible to get an effective full body workout with just these light weights? If so, any recommendations or videos?

    submitted by /u/Dignitix
    [link] [comments]

    Appropriate conditions for body recomposition??

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 12:50 AM PDT

    I'm 16, 5'10, and 65kg (or 143lbs) and for the last 4-5 weeks I've been trying to improve myself. I do 20-25 minutes of fasted cardio each morning, and 30-45 minutes of bodyweight training before lunch everyday and I've cut my calories to around 2,100 per day, with plenty of protein.

    I'm used to doing cardiovascular exercise and bodyweight exercises, so there's no issue doing this everyday. However I've been taking this program more seriously and focusing on calories for once in order to really build some strength and see if I can get leaner.

    It's been almost 5 weeks now and results aren't as much as I hoped, I haven't lost motivation yet and I know to be patient and consistent so I'm sticking to it.

    Does what I'm doing sound smart? Or am I making some mistakes. I'm worried I've cut my calories too much because I am eating 300-400 calories less and doing more frequent cardio, could this have slowed my metabolism?

    TL:DR - Trying body recomposition, nervous I cut too many calories.

    Any advice or tips would be useful, thanks!

    submitted by /u/tripotato
    [link] [comments]

    Will high rep bodyweight training build a lot of muscle?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 06:46 PM PDT

    Just wondering if doing extremely high rep bodyweight training would produce similar growth to do low rep heavy weight training. For example. I can back squat 225x3x5, and found doing squats Bodyweightx3x50 burnt almost as much. On top of that, some body weight movements are hard enough that I might only be able to get 5 reps anyway, like handstand push-ups or staggered chin-ups. Just wanted to know if it's equivalent, thanks

    submitted by /u/Quinnja18
    [link] [comments]

    Gyms just reopened in Georgia (state). To go or not?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 03:44 AM PDT

    Gyms just reopened with new social distancing protocols (stand 6 feet apart, capacity restrictions, check temperatures on the way in)

    Think it's safe to go back?

    submitted by /u/irie_day
    [link] [comments]

    Natural at 20 vs. TRT at 40?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 02:45 AM PDT

    I'm just curious, to the extent either anecdotal experience or actual studies can tell, what would be the difference between someone trying to make gains at 20 vs. someone using TRT to give themselves the same hormone profile at 40? Would it be roughly the same, save for needing to stretch more or the like?

    submitted by /u/MisterJose
    [link] [comments]

    Whey Protein or Serious Mass? Help, I’m a newbie and I’m confused.

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 01:59 AM PDT

    Hey guys, so I'm a 23 year old female weighing 121 lbs. i dont have much muscle so i consider myself skinny fat. Im not lean and now i wanna start gettin serious with working out. Specifically targetting my glutes.

    I have troubles gaining weight as Idk, my metabolism is super high and i smoke a lot of pot (just puttin it here cus u guys might knowif it affects the diet)

    So now I'm thinking should I get Serious Mass first? Or start drinking Whey?

    I'm kind of scared to take serious mass cus i might suddenly bloat but like considering my diet i dont think i always hit my calories and am also needing protein.

    Which should i take first? Or can i take both at the same time?

    Help Thanks!

    submitted by /u/denimsteffiejeans
    [link] [comments]

    How to continue after military?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 01:56 AM PDT

    My mandatory military service is ending in early june and i haven't been able to hit the gym in the past 6 months. I've lost quite abit of strength and size and dont know if i should cut before i start slowly bulking.

    current stats are: 188cm, 88kg @ 17ish bodyfat

    lifts before and after: Bench 140kg - 115kg, Squat 170kg- 140kg, deadlift 210kg - 170kg

    submitted by /u/vilbedawg
    [link] [comments]

    Olympic plates to bumper

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 07:04 PM PDT

    Is there any way to turn a metal Olympic plate into a bumper plate or at least do something to reduce the noise?

    submitted by /u/BigChungusWeedRules
    [link] [comments]

    I need some advice

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 10:17 PM PDT

    I have a rather peculiar situation, I used to be very fit but during that time I completely totalled my metabolism and after injuries put me out of sports I gained a ton of weight that I am now going to try and lose. I'm eating properly again. What I'm going to try to do is start rowing and some other exercises. I'm not an unhealthy eater. My biggest issue is that it's not like I don't have muscle. I can knock out 200-300 perfect sit-ups in one sitting and still have arm power. I just need to burn fat through exercise. Will rowing achieve this for me? Obviously it would be coupled with other exercises, which ones would you recommend

    submitted by /u/SageSwaaaaad
    [link] [comments]

    Overhead Kettlebell Squat: How?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 09:55 AM PDT

    #7 on this website

    My arm seems to come too far forward as I squat down so there's no way I can keep the KB overhead. If I focus on just keeping my arm perfectly locked out overhead (like in the OHP position) I can only squat down like.... 1/5th of the way.

    What mobility am I lacking and how can I improve?

    submitted by /u/steffystiffy
    [link] [comments]

    Is it better for grip strength training To have a wide/Tall/ or even Handles?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 09:26 AM PDT

    I've been using a pair of cinder blocks for farmer's walks and calf raises for home workouts. I just picked up some rope because the car straps I was using as handles hurt way to much to do the exercise.

    I was wondering before I tape up the rope handles which would be the better configuration. It looks like there will be three strands of rope per a handle (two ends and the rope).

    Would it be better for it to be 3 strands horizontal to ground (only hook fingers would hold the handle, 3 strands vertical to the ground (entire palm would hold the handle) or the 3 forming a circular triangle (combination of the two)? Or is it all unnecessary?

    Any help would be appreciated and side note, the two blocks and the two lengths of rope came out to around $7 at Home Depot if anyone wants to do this for themselves.

    submitted by /u/KingOfCook
    [link] [comments]

    Is pausing 10 seconds between every 2 minute of running give proper exercise?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 05:10 PM PDT

    My treadmill is defective and stops every 2 minutes of running because the machine is just like that. It takes about 20 seconds to restart and get going, and the cycle continues. Is this a good method of getting exercise, even with the tiny stops in between because of the machine stopping?

    submitted by /u/Phoenix6469
    [link] [comments]

    Physical Hobby that isn't Lifting

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 04:03 PM PDT

    I've been lifting fairly consistently for the past 10 years and haven't made gains in the past few years. I'm looking to try something new since the lack of progress makes training feel pointless. I don't think I'll fully quit, but I plan on toning it down from 2 hours a day to more like 30 minutes.

    I am willing to try anything, but it has to be something that I can safely do in quarantine. Money for the activity isn't really a problem.

    Other physical hobbies that I have tried include skateboarding and tennis.

    TLDR; Recommend me a new hobby that isn't lifting.

    submitted by /u/VaryLarry
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble doing Standing Calf Raises with dumbbells

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 07:55 AM PDT

    Hey people, apologises if this is the wrong subreddit but I needed to share my problems with doing standing calf raises here. I tend to have some issues with doing this workout exercise.Any time I tip toe and try to pull my heels up, I find myself taking a literal step forward. This always happens, any time I try to put pressure and feel that squeeze. It feel like I'm fighting to walk forward rather than actually train my calves.

    Any tips on how to perform this correctly? If anybody could point out where I'm going wrong than that would help.

    submitted by /u/thesukh03
    [link] [comments]

    How important are good socks when running?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 08:31 AM PDT

    In the past I always ran with normal every-day socks, but a lot of the times I'd end up with blisters on the inner part of my feet. Because of that I always had to recover from them before I could go running again. A couple months ago I decided to invest in better running shoes (I used gym shoes before that) and with that I also got a free pair of special running socks.

    After that, I almost never got blisters anymore except after really long runs. I thought at first that it was because of the better shoes. A couple of days ago though, it was hotter than usual, and I decided to put on short normal white socks instead of the longer running socks. After 50% of the run I was already feeling pain from starting blisters on the same spot I always got them before and by the end of the run I almost couldn't walk on them anymore.

    Now I am wondering if it is really that important to wear special socks for running or if it was maybe because of the heat on that day. Now that I am stuck again waiting for my blisters to go away, I wanted to know what I could do to prevent it from happening in the future.

    submitted by /u/bremkew
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment