• Breaking News

    Monday, March 9, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 12:20 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    What to do after 8 week programs?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 09:14 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I notice that many weightlifting programs are 8 to 12 weeks in length. What are you supposed to do after that? Find a new program? And why?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/cyanidez
    [link] [comments]

    Physique transformation - 1,5 years of compound lifts and running

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 10:55 PM PDT

    Sex: Male

    Age: 30

    Weight: 80 kg (190 lbs)

    Height: 174 cm (5'8.5")

    I've switched from calisthenics to gym training more than 1,5 years ago. Since then I haven't made any gains in muscle size, which wasn't my plan to begin with, but my strength has skyrocketed. I've probably lowered my body fat quite significantly though.

    I also run a lot. I used to run less during my calisthenics period, now it's more (50 to 60 km - 30 to 35 miles a week).

    And here are some photos from different stages during my transformation with weights (no pump).

    Physique:

    Front: https://imgur.com/W0t0caW https://imgur.com/Dv4QLi7 https://imgur.com/Alxn1Fq https://imgur.com/U1Fwnb2 https://imgur.com/kmDSxCl

    Back: https://imgur.com/DlnnGS4 https://imgur.com/0sZQmbD https://imgur.com/tUTNNGL

    Legs: https://imgur.com/xOboza4 https://imgur.com/hrnhoaM

    1,5 years ago:

    Squat: 100 kgx4 (225lbs)

    First squat PR attempt - 4 reps with 100 kg (225 lbs) - never trained legs before, only running.

    Deadlift: 140 kg (315 lbs)

    My first deadlift PR was 140 kg (265 lbs), but I had a serious overhand grip problem trying to hold it.

    Bench: 100 (225lbs) x4

    When I first came to the gym I could do 3 reps with 90 kg (200 lbs) on a flat bench. 3 weeks later I set a PR doing 4 reps with 100 kg (225 lbs).

    OHP: 55 kg (125 lbs)

    At first try - 55 kg (125lbs) - never did anything shoulder related in calisthenics training.

    I was only good at pull-ups and dips, cause these were the only upper-body exercises I had in my training. I could do 12 pull ups with 48 kg (90 lbs) at my first day in the gym trying to do weighted pull ups.

    Weighted pull up: 12x48 kg (90 lbs)

    Weighted dip: 27x 20 kg (45lbs)

    Half marathon time: 01:35

    Training program: PPL - 2 x week for each muscle group.\

    Diet: whatever I like (around 3500 to 4000 kcals)

    Fast forward to now:

    Squat: 150 kg (330 lbs), 20x100 kg (225 lbs)

    Deadlift: 210 kg (460lbs), 24x140 kg (315lbs)

    Bench: 130 (285 lbs), 13x100 kg (225lbs)

    OHP: Didn't test my max, 60 kg (135lbs) x 9

    Weighted pull up: 75 kg (165 lbs)

    Weighted dip: 90 kg (200 lbs)

    Half marathon time: 01:28

    Diet: whatever I like ( 3500-4000 kcals)

    I have no particular goals except for becoming stronger and developing more endurance. I have been thinking for a long time about the goals, but haven't come up with anything that could motivate me. Maybe you guys have some suggestions?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Maecenas23
    [link] [comments]

    How to accept that losing weight TAKES TIME, and not put your life on stand-by until you get the right physique?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 02:18 AM PDT

    I am sure a lot of you guy know that feeling when you are about to go into a transformation and become a whole new person, but can't find the patience to continue your life normally and not rush it. In my case, I am putting myself into this mentality that "until I am not fat anymore, I am not going to do anything, I am not gonna go out because I'm not ready yet". How do you get out of this thinking? And those who have made it, what was your experience?

    submitted by /u/cougarattack
    [link] [comments]

    Is the calorie calculator on google somehwhat accurate?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 03:42 AM PDT

    I'm in the army and I'm prevented from doing a lot of things or using a lot of things. I want to bulk up but I want to take it slow by gaining 1~2kg a month. I heard I have to go around 500 calories above my intake to do that. And also are protein shakes good for bulking?

    submitted by /u/kimipako
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner routine - swap deadlifts for squats?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 01:12 AM PDT

    I've been on the beginner routine for a few weeks now and was wondering if I will negatively impact my progress if I do deadlifts instead of squats? So I do deadlifts every time I do the routine. I've had many back injuries over the years, a few when doing squats, so decided this time I was going to go back to basics but leave the squat out

    I have really long limbs, and am 6 ft 3. My body just can't seem to get into a safe position when doing squats, so don't want to risk it any more. Especially now I have a child to care for and look after.

    Should I stick with deadlifts each workout or do something else instead of squats?

    submitted by /u/bigweeduk
    [link] [comments]

    Im having real trouble with squats. I need some advice

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 12:03 AM PDT

    Hi peoples. Im having some trouble with low bar squats. Im doing GZCLP and everytime i have to squat heavy it feels off and bad in general. My back rounds even though im bracing and i feel each rep is a fight for my life. My squat is also weak af. Today i did 67.5kg for 2 reps. And thats a pr. I always dread squats. So anyway. Is there any form tips or something you can reccomend to help me improve my squat technique? Thanks for the help! Edit: i have deloaded 3 times before to improve form with little success. Everytime i get past 60kg my form breaks down

    submitted by /u/Tayvan16
    [link] [comments]

    Felt stuck in "beginner programs" for a good while due to constant breaks, switched to an intermediate program while I can barely bench 40kg but I feel happier with new program. Is this a good idea?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 03:33 AM PDT

    I did fitness before, around 2 years, closer to but more than 1.5 and I also did this program before, which is just standard PHUL

    I took a break from fitness to focus on college and work, now I work full time so I decided to go back to Gym somewhere near my workplace which is going well

    Between my previous 2 years and this latest attempt at going to Gym again, I tried to "start again" many times, did stronglifts, greyskull, starter strength etc. and all felt boring and empty

    Now I'm back to PHUL, I feel much better, I feel like my body is working properly, it is more fun and I anticipate going to Gym

    But my lifts are still pretty low, I can bench 40kg and squat around 60kg

    How should I keep going with my fitness routine? Keep PHUL, add or remove anything? Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/LiftPoster
    [link] [comments]

    Stretchmarks?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 02:34 AM PDT

    Hello!

    I've seen a lot of people complaing about the stretchmarks they've got since they have began training. Therefor I was wondering if its neccersary to get stretchmarks? Are they considered as great progress to my fitness progress?

    I've been traning since October so I'm still a beginner. I don't have any stretchmarks even though, I've gained around 11-12kg (50.8-62.8kg, 185cm, 17y/o). Don't know if my progress is limited due to not training hard enough? I'm doing the 6 day split PPL with some extra exercises like abs and triceps/biceps on these days.

    Cheers :)

    submitted by /u/Ditz3n
    [link] [comments]

    A noob again. How to get back in the game?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 02:33 AM PDT

    Hey all! I've seen tips for taking several months off, but not much as far as several years. Close 5yrs to be more exact.

    Quick history: Naturally heavy-set. I gain and retain both muscle and fat pretty quiet easily. Both a blessing and a curse.

    Lifted all throughout high school for sports, continued to stay in shape during time at a uni and then joined the military. So up until about 24yo, had plenty of exercise knowledge, good (not perfect) form in my lifts, etc.

    Life stuff happened, my motivation to keep in shape dropped and I stopped going to the gym.

    Picked it back up after a year and a half and took about 6mo to reverse the "damage". Another couple years of added progress and I was doing great.

    Life stuff happened again. This time, we're talking almost 5 years and +40lbs.

    Since the start of the year, I've taken control of my diet and dropped 20lbs. Now, looking to make the leap back into the gym.

    I don't care what strength I've lost, I know I can get it back. Done it once before. My concern is I'm not 25 this time around. I want to be safe about it.

    1. Has anybody gone through something similar?
    2. How did you get your form back for lifts?
    3. Did you jump straight into free weights, or did you start back off with machines until your muscles got used to the stresses of lifting again?
    submitted by /u/AJ9x
    [link] [comments]

    Skipping flat bench and also using a plate loaded press?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 02:30 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    I have stopped doing flat bench because I never get stronger on flat bench, when I do its extremely slow progression compared to every other lift (My long arms really don't help). I have decided that I'm only going to do incline barbell and Incline dumbbell press as I would like to develop my upper chest more.

    Instead of doing flat bench I have decided that I'm going to use the plate loaded chest press machine, whenever I use this machine I have the seat at a height where it's almost akin to doing a flat bench press but sitting vertically. I find that when I'm using this machine I can really feel my chest firing during each press and my pecs start to get very lactic and painful near the end sets.

    I have read people saying that you shouldn't get rid of flat bench for various reasons but seeing as I'm doing incline, I can still go heavy on the machine then there shouldn't be much of an issue, is it not best to prioritize an exercise where I get the best mind muscle connection and most muscle activation? i don;t plan on competing in power lifting, right now I'm lifting for my physique

    submitted by /u/RuthlessAndMotivated
    [link] [comments]

    How long should a timed set with unlimited reps be?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 10:08 PM PDT

    male working on strength workouts to build muscle

    I only have light 10llb weights and would prefer to do as many reps as I can in one set instead of counting reps. With heavy weights I do 4 sets of 12 reps.

    What would be the equivalent/good amount of time for a timed set (when I'm not counting reps)?

    submitted by /u/blackhairjones
    [link] [comments]

    Why is there only one program in the wiki that includes lunges?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 10:47 PM PDT

    Essentially, I need to incorporate lunges (especially reverse lunges) into a program at some point because they are better than back squats in developing running skills. Now, I understand that nobody on Reddit plays sports and either does bodybuilding, powerlifting, or some combination of the above, but I don't see these workouts being recommended or included in programs like GSLP, GZCL, 5/3/1, PPL, or any of the various programs listed in the wiki other than Westside for Skinny Bastards. I actually ran that for a couple to months, but I became frustrated with the lack of defined progress which is inherent to the program ("straining" harder with a given weight for three weeks isn't exactly the best measure of progress...) Fittit tells people to never deviate from the listed workouts in a program, but I can't just do squats forever.

    submitted by /u/apost54
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment