• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 26, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 26, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 26, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - March 26, 2020

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    5 Months Progress Post - 36M 210lbs to 170lbs

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 09:25 AM PDT

    Stats

    Height - 6'0"

    Weight - 210lbs down to 170lbs

    Time - 5 months

    Routine - GSLP and 531

    Before/After: https://i.imgur.com/xPcM7Jd.jpg

    Flexed: https://i.imgur.com/rIEh5j1.jpg

    Background

    After our first kid nearly 6 years ago I stopped working out altogether. I would pick it back up for a few weeks here and there but would always get knocked out of my routine for whatever reason and fall off the wagon for another 6 months. Eventually I just stopped trying. Of course I was eating a lot during that time and began to take more and more pleasure in pigging out on junk and fast food. About once a year I would decide to go on a diet, lose 5-10lbs and then gain it right back. I was drinking beer every day. Slowly I lost the battle with my waist line and developed quite the hard bloated beer belly. I went from size 34 pants to giving 38s all they could handle.

    In October of this past year I hit 210, which was kind of shocking. I had been missing being in shape for a long time know and knew I just needed to make a lifestyle change so I rejoined my gym and started going 3 days a week. I also began tracking and weighing everything I put in my mouth.

    Diet

    I started eating at a 500cal deficit, which was around 1700cal for me, and I tried to hit 170g of protein and at least 50g of fat every day. I weighed absolutely everything I can and prepared 95% of my meals at home. I didn't eat breakfast most days but if I did it was probably just some hard boiled eggs or a protein shake. I ate a salad with 8oz grilled chicken breast, 3tb of ranch dressing and a 6oz clamshell of berries pretty much every day for lunch. Dinner was often chicken/beef with rice or an omelet of some sort. Then I had Greek yogurt at bedtime. If there were any calories left over for snacking it was usually peanuts, small cookies or a protein shake depending on where I was for my macros that day.

    If I had to go out to eat for business or something I would get a lean cut of grilled protein and steamed veggies. I would have some light butter popcorn and a beer as a treat usually one night on the weekends but I always kept any cheating at least under my TDEE. I think Thanksgiving and Christmas were the only two days where I exceeded my TDEE and even then it wasn't by much. I completely stopped drinking alcohol during the week.

    My original goal was to lose 35 lbs, which happened in just a couple days over 4 months. However I still lost another 5 "accidentally" over the last few weeks even as I've ramped up my eating to find my maintenance level. Currently eating at 2300kcal per day.

    I don't take any real supplements other than whey isolate if you count that. I also take vitamin D, probiotic, turmeric extract, fish oil, magnesium and a multi vitamin as well. My pre-workout is a banana about 30min before I get started if I'm working out in the evening and nothing but a couple gulps of water if it's first thing in the morning.

    Exercise

    Between work and family I was limited to 3 days in the gym at 90 min max including changing and showering after. Generally I went Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings. I tried to work in at least one HIIT session over the weekend or some sort of hike or bike ride or other cardio related activity.

    For the first few months I was doing 20 min hard on the elliptical before I worked out. I later changed that to a 10-15min HIIT session on the stationary bike or rowing machine after I lift. I warm up with a couple minutes on the bike or jump roping and some box jumps or medicine ball throws.

    Most progress was made on the GSLP Phrak routine, which got my lifts up pretty quickly.

    5/5/5+ of some combination of Bench Press, Overhead Press, Chins, Squats, Deadlifts and Barbell Rows depending on which day it was. Towards the end I started adding in some arm and abs work. Mostly ez bar curls and ab roller.

    After about 12 weeks I started to stall out on everything but deadlift, which I in part attribute to the lack of recovery on a cut. I then ran the BLS 3 day PPL routine for a few weeks before running once cycle of 531 Beginners template, which I liked a lot, but did find the upper body pressing volume to be a bit too much for me.

    My lifts are about 80% of what they were at my old "peak" in my late 20s and I think I'll get back there fairly quickly now that I am eating more. Squatting was lagging a lot and I attribute it to some form problems which I have hopefully fixed by switching to low bar squats. One of the things I like about training submaximally with 531 is that I can really focus on form. Eventually with GSLP I was pushing so hard every workout to hit that next weight in the progression that my form went to shit.

    Current Lifts (estimated 1RM):

    BP - 235 DL - 320 OP - 150 SQ - 265

    What I've Learned

    • Diet is everything. If my diet isn't dialed in I am likely just going to spin my wheels with everything else. This is what I never really got or bought into before but it's made all the difference. • The workouts are the easy part. I love going to the gym and I love feeling sore and exhausted afterwards. The hard part is forcing myself to rest and having the discipline to stay on my diet day in and day out especially while balancing this with work commitment and family life. • Devote specific training to arms and abs. I always believed the standard powerlifting beginner routine mantra of "believe me, if you lift heavy on all these compounds your arms and core will take care of themselves." As a result my arms and abs have always been pretty unimpressive. At least for me, I have only seen growth when I train those specifically multiple times per week. Lots of curls and ab roller. • Take time to establish good form on the major lifts. I was having so much fun throwing weight up and advancing with an LP routine that I neglected to really lock in my form and as the weights got higher I began to get some low back and piriformis pain on deads and squats.

    Goals/Future

    I feel great now and I've dropped two sizes in clothes and had to buy all new stuff or have things altered which has been both fun and expensive.

    Ultimate goal would be 185-195 at 12% BF or whatever weight I hit my natural limits at that level of BF. I've been slowly upping my calories to try to find my maintenance and then plan to do a long slow lean bulk for the foreseeable future. After 4 months of obsessive cutting it's been harder than I thought it would be to start eating more again.

    I was fortunate in that I started a home gym just a week or so before the virus really blew up and everything closed so I'm able to push forward in my routine without really missing anything. Having equipment at home and not having to commute is allowing me to lift 4 mornings per week and do cardio on my off days which has been great. I started 531 BBB this week and plan to run it for a while.

    submitted by /u/TheWolfmanOfDelRio
    [link] [comments]

    Any issues to me sticking with standard sized (1inch) weight plates and bar.

    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 02:47 AM PDT

    Hi guys, I have about 300kg in standard (1inch) weights (including 6 pieces of 25kg plates) and a standard bar but it's not your regular standard bar. It's like a heavy duty standard bar, It fits standard weights on the ends but the rest of the bar is a little bit thicker than an olympic bar, it can take up to 800lbs on it.

    I do bench, squat and deadlift

    Bench: 140kg

    Squat: 180kg

    Deadlift: 220kg

    My training style is powerlifting focused (but i don't compete)

    Pictures of my Bar

    https://imgur.com/a/FopDF1X

    My country has a domestic fitness industry, we make plates, oly bars and for some reason these heavy duty standard bars among other things.

    Anyway will this do fine? Based On my own analysis, it seems I am only losing out on the spinning end bits that olympic bars have which I don't think I need? I am not doing any of the Olympic lifts anyway.

    submitted by /u/GabrielGman
    [link] [comments]

    Victory Sunday

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Victory Sunday Thread

    It is Sunday, 6:00 am here in the eastern half of Hyder, Alaska. It's time to ask yourself: What was the one, best thing you did on behalf of your fitness this week? What was your Fitness Victory?

    We want to hear about it!

    So let's hear your fitness Victory this week! Don't forget to upvote your favorite Victories!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Do you infinitely increase reps/weight when lifting?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 10:20 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I have been lifting weights for about 15 years, usually on and off, more on than not for the past 3-4 years. I've gotten to a pretty great physique, but my issue is always peaking and exhausting. For example, let's say I do leg raises as my abs workout. I'll start with 10x5 a couple days, then increase to 11x15, then 12x15 and so on until im at 30 and it's physically daunting and beyond boring that it takes me 30 minutes to do one of my many workouts that day. What do you do to keep it difficult but not an hour long per muscle group?

    For weight lifting, same idea, let's say I'm lifting 40lb dumbbells, same start ya 10x5, etc but at a certain point should I increase weight vs reps? Do I reset my reps if increase weight? What happens when you get To a weight that is unrealistic to lift? Im confused how one gets to keep building their body without their workouts taking 4 fffffking hours due to the sheer increase in reps? This is always what throws me Off and makes me take two months off, lose EVERYTHING and start over, only to land in the same Spot time and time again. Idk what to do!

    Also thank you for reading my question I think this is the most appropriate place to ask my question. The weightlifting and bodybuilding subs always say my weightlifting related questions are not to be asked on those subs, so fitness is my best guess.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/xoxoxo19
    [link] [comments]

    Gym Story Saturday

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 01:17 AM PDT

    Hi! Welcome to your weekly thread where you can share your gym tales!

    submitted by /u/FGC_Valhalla
    [link] [comments]

    30 min 5k everyday or 1 hour 10k with rest days

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 12:23 PM PDT

    Corona cancelled my soccer training and matches and I still wanna exercise while quarantined. The only equipment I have is a treadmill that goes 10km/h max (so 30 min/5k). I ran a 30min 5k today and it wasn't really difficult for me tbh, but I don't really wanna run a 1 hour 10k because running for 1 hour straight is too much of a drag. So should I do 30 min 5ks everyday or 1 hour 10ks with rest days and if it's the 2nd one how many rest days should I take

    submitted by /u/PooPooPPThrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment