• Breaking News

    Saturday, July 24, 2021

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 24, 2021

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 24, 2021


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 24, 2021

    Posted: 24 Jul 2021 02:00 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it. Rule #0 still applies in this thread.

    Also, there's a handy search function to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search r/Fitness by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to check first are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    If you are posting a routine critique request, make sure you follow the guidelines for including enough detail.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk, chit-chat, jokes, memes, "Dear Diary" type comments, shitposting, or non-fitness questions. It is for fitness questions only, and only those that are serious.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Gym Story Saturday

    Posted: 24 Jul 2021 12:26 AM PDT

    Hi! Welcome to your weekly thread where you can share your gym tales!

    submitted by /u/FGC_Valhalla
    [link] [comments]

    Weight lifting / Gripping aid device advice for a deformed hand

    Posted: 23 Jul 2021 04:20 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    I have searched google high and low for an answer to this question so I hope you lovely people can help. I have recently gotten back into exercising and specifically weight lifting and want to finally fix a problem that has plagued me all my life. Basically i was born with most of my right hand missing, google crab hand on google images and the literal first image is basically my right hand.

    The crux of the issue is that my hand ended up smaller than my wrist (I go into more detail below). But in essence any time I pull anything of weight the adaptive aid I use now goes flying.

    This has meant I have had very limited gripping strength and no palm to speak of which makes gripping exercises incredibly hard e.g. anything with a lat machine. I have an aid from the company Active Hands which works decently for any pushing exercises (although due to the small wrist size i cant do barbells without causing a decent amount of pain. This is due to all the weight on a tiny wrist area) ,however as my wrist is larger than my hand and gets sweaty mid workout, anytime I attach weight to the aid and pull it invariably ends up flying away from my hand, sometime with hilarious consequences (literally went flying across the gym yesterday when I again attempted the lat machine).

    As such any advice, recommendations for alternative products or alternative back exercises you all could recommend to get over obstacle I would very very much appreciate.

    TLDR: Deformed hand smaller than wrist, can't grip naturally and aid goes flying off hand when I pull. Need alternate option for doing any pulling e.g. back, tricep, etc... exercises.

    Update: pic of hand https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/7xe1EJafs0e1

    submitted by /u/Atlanteanson
    [link] [comments]

    Balancing progressive overload and joint + connective tissue health: Giving my joints a break for 2 weeks

    Posted: 23 Jul 2021 06:12 AM PDT

    Soooo I've recently restarted going to the gym after an extended rest period of about 4 years lol. I had to stop cause of wrist issues (wrist tendonitis + instability), even though that original period of weightlifting only lasted 3-4 months back when I was 17/18.

    But it's been less than 2 months, and my joint issues are back - this time, with my shoulder, elbow and left knee joining the list of joints who protest me going to the gym. This is very aggravating, because I've been using quite low weights (upwards of 15/20 reps to reach anything even approaching close to failure) for generally 3 sets. I am also fairly certain that my form is good.

    None of my joints hurt but they feel the strain, and I know that if I keep going, I'm just gonna make it worse.

    So, much to my chagrin, I'm gonna take a 2 week break - no gym, no bodyweight exercise, trying to limit stress on joints from keyboard typing. Hopefully this'll help.

    Then I'll start from scratch, on very low weight, as I did at the start of June, and work myself up again.

    Which kinda raises the question which this entire point was leading up to:

    If tendons + joints require such a loooong time to adjust to higher loads being placed on them, compared to muscles, which adjust quite quickly, how do you carry out progressive overload safely? In particular for beginner lifters, who's loads are going to increase enormously in a relatively short period of time.

    Any advice/insight would be welcome!

    EDIT: My program is :

    Workout 1:

    • Squat 10kgs
    • Dumbbell Bench press (3 -> 4 -> 5kg in each hand)
    • Lat pulldown: 18 -> 32kg
    • Calf raise on machine:
    • Dumbbell curl (where I supinate my wrist through the movement): 3 -> 4 -> 5kg in each hand

    Workout 2:

    • Deadlift: 20 Kg
    • Standing dumbbell Shoulder Press ( 3 -> 4kg in each hand)
    • Chest-supported T-Bar row: 18 Kg
    • Leg extension:
    • Cable fly: 5.7kg in each hand
    • Crunch (or another ab exercise)
    • Tricep extension on cable (or another tricep exercise): 18kg

    Workout 3:

    • Dumbbell lunge: 7kg
    • Dumbbell incline press: 3kg -> 4kg
    • Reverse grip lat pulldown: 32kg
    • Barbell hip thrust: 40kg
    • Face Pull: 14kg
    • Dumbbell lateral raise: 2kg -> 3kg

    Generally I do 2 workouts a week on average. I started off at very light weight for all these movements (generally above 15 reps to even get close to failure). As I was tightening up my form and got more confident, I raised my weight, except for exercises which I viewed as risky, such as dumbbell presses, dumbbell shoulder presses (pretty much all exercises which fucked with my wrist in the past).

    submitted by /u/OlylP
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment