• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 23, 2021

    Beginner Fitness: New to r/Fitness? Click here first!

    Beginner Fitness: New to r/Fitness? Click here first!


    New to r/Fitness? Click here first!

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 04:34 PM PDT

    Welcome to r/Fitness - Reddit's #1 Health and Fitness community!

    This is a self-help community. Before asking questions, posters will be expected to have made a good faith effort to find an answer to their question on their own - and show it by explaining where they looked, what they found, and why they feel it wasn't enough. Remember that the people who will be answering your questions are volunteering their free time and knowledge.

    Links to Resources - Check these for answers before posting a question

    • The r/Fitness Wiki and FAQ. The knowledgeable and experienced members of the r/Fitness community have spent years compiling information about a variety of questions and topics into one central, easy to find location for the benefit of newcomers. Most questions that people come to r/Fitness looking for answers to can be answered directly by the Wiki and FAQ, or by applying the information found in it. It will always be the best first place to look for answers.
    • Searching past threads. r/Fitness has over a decade of discussion threads that are very likely to have answers to your questions if our Wiki and FAQ does not. Remember when searching that fitness and exercise are not fast moving topics like tech would be, and even though some discussions may be several years old they are still going to be relevant today.
    • Google. Yes, really. Google excels at being a source of answers for common fitness and exercise questions, such as lists of exercises and alternatives, foods with certain criteria, equipment and reviews thereof, and so on.

    The Rules

    The rules for r/Fitness can be found here.

    r/Fitness is a high traffic community that is actively and heavily moderated to maintain some amount of quality control. When making a post or comment, you will be expected to understand and abide by these rules. Our rules pages have both a short version and a longer, detailed version. In particular, make sure to review Rule #0 - No Threads That Are Answered by the Wiki, Searching Threads, or Google and Rule #5 - No Questions Related to Injury, Pain, or Any Medical Topic, as these are the two most commonly broken rules by new users.

    Weekly Threads

    r/Fitness has some regularly posted, themed threads that you can see the schedule for below

    Day Thread
    Daily Simple Questions - For posting quick, simple questions and form checks of your lifts.
    Mon Moronic Mondays - An r/Fitness tradition that replaces the Daily Simple Questions thread every Monday.
    Wed Rant Wednesdays - For letting off steam about fitness problems, and telling others that their rant is dumb.
    Fri Physique Phridays - For questions specific to how your body looks, what you should work on, and visual bodyfat % estimation.
    Sat Gym Story Saturdays - For sharing fitness related stories with other people who will get it.
    Sun Victory Sundays - For sharing pieces of your progress or personal victories that are too short for a full on Progress Post.
    submitted by /u/purplespengler
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Simple Questions Thread - January 23, 2021

    Posted: 23 Jan 2021 02:00 AM PST

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it. Rule #0 still applies in this thread.

    Also, there's a handy search function to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search r/Fitness by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to check first are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    If you are posting a routine critique request, make sure you follow the guidelines for including enough detail.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk, chit-chat, jokes, memes, "Dear Diary" type comments, shitposting, or non-fitness questions. It is for fitness questions only, and only those that are serious.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    [Progress] M/23/6'2" - 155->175lbs - 1 Year - No Compound Lifts

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 09:00 AM PST

    EDIT: Title should be No barbell lifts, didn't understand what a compound lift was.

    So I've just reached the 1 year progress point and thought I'd post on reddit which has been my main place for motivation and advice. I haven't made major progress but I'm happy with where I'm at.

    I haven't been to the gym once since I started my fitness journey. At the start I just wanted to do some home workouts with dumbbells and build a foundation to then go to the gym, but then the pandemic came. Because of this I have never done any barbell lifts and I haven't attempted a pull up ever. I can't get a pull up bar as I am too afraid of damaging the door frames in my rented apartment.

    Before and After Pictures

    1 Year progress, going from 155lbs to around 175lbs at the moment. Height is around 6'2".

    https://imgur.com/a/H6seKZz - 0,4,8,10,12 Month Progress

    Training

    I started out with a dumbbell full body workout that I found on Simeon Panda's YouTube that had some basic exercises that consisted of:

    • Pushups, Bent Over Rows, Bicep Curls, Tricep Kickbacks, Overhead Press, Squats, Stiff-Legged Deadlift, Leg Raises

    In the beginning I couldn't do one push up and used very light weights, doing 2 sets of 8-12 reps. After a month or two I started doing 3 sets. I would do this workout whenever I felt like it, sometimes everyday for a week and other times just once or twice a week.

    After a few months of that I progressed into a PPL dumbbell split that I've been doing ever since. My dumbbells only go up to 45lbs so I can't do anything crazy.

    Dumbbell PPL Routine:

    Day 1 -

    Chest, Shoulders & Triceps

    • Pushups / Floor Press - 4 Sets, 8-12 Reps
    • Dumbbell Flys - 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
    • Dumbbell Overhead Press - 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
    • Dumbbell Side Raise - 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
    • Diamond Push Ups - 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
    • Tricep Kickbacks / Skullcrushers - 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps

    Day 2 -

    Back & Biceps

    • Dumbbell Bent Over Row - 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
    • One Arm Dumbbell Row - 5 Sets, 8-12e. Reps
    • Dumbbell Bicep Curl - 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
    • Dumbbell Hammer Curl - 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
    • Dumbbell Pinwheel Curl - 2 Sets, 8-12 Reps

    Day 3 -

    Legs

    • Planks - 3 Sets, 30s
    • Dumbbell Lunges - 3 Sets, 8-12e. Reps
    • Dumbbell Stiff-Legged Deadlift - 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
    • Dumbbell Calf Raise - 3 Sets, 20-25 Reps
    • Dumbbell Goblet Squats - 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps

    Day 4 -

    REST DAY

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-JClsMGI9TlttAfcphfDhQaygmg-TN-pGWJSHAJvRfk/edit?usp=sharing - Here is the sheet if anyone is interested. I do a version of that ab workout every day or two with some variations now and then. Admittedly I've skipped a lot of leg days, they are just not as enjoyable as the upper body days. Maybe once I get under the squat rack I'll enjoy them more.

    Now I can do around 15-20 pushups in one set and feel much more comfortable doing them. I add weight to the dumbbells each week to try and make progress but it's hard since I only have a limited amount of weight to add.

    Diet

    When I started working out I had just started learning how to cook so I was having 3 meals everyday and probably getting around 2500 calories in most days. I bought a mass gainer powder that I'd have 3 scoops of with 700-800ml of milk after a workout.

    As for my diet right now, I try to get in 3000-4000 calories. I succeed most days but its not always the cleanest food. I usually get between 120-180g of protein. For breakfast I have 3 Weetabix with chocolate soya milk, a banana and a glass of fruit juice every morning, around 700kcal. My lunches vary. I was making a green smoothie with fruit juice, an avocado, spinach and peanut butter that was around 700kcal but it was too expensive so I've stopped making it. I'll usually have a sandwich and a couple clementine's or Baked beans on toast, lets say 500kcal. Dinner is usually around 800-900kcal, my go to meals are Tuna pasta, Chicken fried rice with chicken breast and 2 eggs, Beef burgers, Chicken breast with a sauce, rice and broccoli, etc. About 30 minutes to an hour after my dinner I'll have a protein smoothie that's around 700-800kcal. 400ml milk, 1 banana, 1 or 2 tbsp. of peanut butter, 1tsp. Nutella, 1 scoop whey protein. Around 10 or 11pm I'll have something else to eat, usually another sandwich or a couple pb&j sandwiches. That's about all I eat + some other snacks and unhealthy foods in-between. I'm going to start having a glass of whole milk with my lunch and later meal to get some more calories in. I definitely have more space to eat as I have a big appetite it's just I don't really enjoy eating and don't know what to eat without being super unhealthy.

    I don't take any supplements or creatine, except protein powder.

    Hopefully the world returns to normal soon and I can make some real gains in the gym. I'm pleased with the progress I've made though and hope to continue gaining weight this year.

    Advice and tips on what I could change and improve on are appreciated. Also feel free to post your favorite meals for lunch and dinner to give me some more ideas on what to have. Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/Ewanng
    [link] [comments]

    Gym Story Saturday

    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 10:16 PM PST

    Hi! Welcome to your weekly thread where you can share your gym tales!

    submitted by /u/FGC_Valhalla
    [link] [comments]

    How come my thighs are so defined compared to the rest of my body even though I don’t work out.

    Posted: 23 Jan 2021 04:14 AM PST

    whenever I post a picture of myself online there's always a comment like "you never skip leg day" "man thighs"

    I don't play sport or work out. I just walk to the bus stop for school, go up school stairs between periods etc.

    why?

    submitted by /u/kaitlynjclingin
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment