• Breaking News

    Monday, October 26, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 12:32 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    My (5’8 174lb, 28) fitness Journey to 2x bodyweight bench press

    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 06:17 PM PDT

    Foreword

    I want to start off by saying I have always been in shape. I have lifted since high school, but recently (last 5 years) got into powerlifting/bodybuilding type workouts. This is my fitness story, but you should only be competing and comparing yourself to who you were the day prior. I posted a photo of my physique on a weekly thread and someone said they would be interested if I made a post on here.

    Physique and Lifts

    Physique- I weigh around 174lbs here.

    https://streamable.com/wd441h

    Bench- 365x1

    https://streamable.com/1tivf6

    Squat- 405x1

    https://streamable.com/2q7oop

    Deadlift- 450x1

    https://streamable.com/x8nocp

    Total- 1220

    Training

    I have been seriously lifting for about 10 years. I did Crossfit type workouts from 18-23. Around 24 I started to do bodybuilding type workouts but could never seem to get any stronger and plateaued frequently. I found the nSuns workout and made some great progress before I injured myself doing deadlifts, I now have permanent nerve damage in my lower back that I am working through. Within the last year and a half, my younger brother started to write my programming and my body has responded very well to it. My programming changed every 4-5 weeks, and he writes up something new every time. Below is a link to my workout I did the week before I maxed. The biggest thing I learned through nSuns and my younger brother is to always increase the weight and switch things up as much as possible. If you want to increase your bench, you need to increase your deadlift and squat. I'm coming off an injury, so I admit my squat and deadlift are lacking compared to my bench. Though, once I started to really add the weight to both my squat and deadlift my strength really started to skyrocket. DON'T SKIP LEG DAY OR DEADLIFT DAYS!

    Some of the numbers are a little off, I fluctuated a bit with my main lifts as I progressed through the month.

    https://imgur.com/a/JIWxG6Y

    Cardio

    I am in the Army. So whatever workout we do in the morning I usually half-ass, unless it's cardio. I do run on the treadmill or the elliptical for 15 minutes after every workout if I didn't do cardio that day yet.

    Training Philosophy

    Going to the gym is my hobby. There is no question of if I am going to the gym 6 days a week, just a question of when. 6 days a week may be a lot for someone, but as a hobby, it is just something I enjoy doing. I am a huge believer in the mind to muscle connection. Every lift I do I focus on the body part I am trying to hit. You can read up more about that here. https://www.youareunltd.com/2018/10/05/understanding-the-mind-muscle-connection-and-making-it-work-for-you/#:~:text=Simply%20put%2C%20the%20mind%2Dmuscle,and%20actively%20moving%20the%20weight.

    My younger brother introduced me to training rest-pause sets. These were huge in my last month of building strength. I really like to push myself hard during these sets. One thing I struggled with understanding was working sets. Just recently (within the last 2 years) I started to do proper warm-ups before pushing myself in the 2-3 sets that mattered.

    I consider myself a PowerBuilder. I love powerlifting, but I do like to do some accessory work. My goal isn't to look like a bodybuilder, but I still want to look thick and strong. I have always believed that with strength comes size. If you want to get bigger and you're not in the 1000lbs club you should try to get there. Stronglifts has an awesome article on this. https://stronglifts.com/build-muscle/?fbclid=IwAR0ZDu55P1bBMcSq6pnKHbi9cYxRz0PzLM-V-sxjeWJXQ9dzCNbNQcHIEEU

    Nutrition

    I wish I had some stuff to say about my nutrition, but I don't. I will never be a bodybuilder; I lack the mental fortitude to diet right. I generally don't eat like shit all the time, I don't really eat sweets or drink any soda. I do drink alcohol usually once a week.

    Supplements

    I pretty much exclusively use Kaged Muscle products. Kris Gethin is my fitness idol. I believe they have phenomenal products.

    If anyone has any more questions please ask them. I'm sure I missed a few things. My biggest piece of advice is to just get into a regiment, don't miss any training days, and always perform at your best! There are no shitty days in the gym, make the weights your bitch and get after it!

    submitted by /u/JanMichaelVincent7
    [link] [comments]

    5/3/1 4B while in a deficit

    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    M/15/6'1/180 lbs

    So, I'm essentially a complete beginner, I'm a bit skinnyfat and would like to improve my physique a lot for multiple reasons.

    I was recently looking into the 5/3/1 for beginners program and wondering what the effects would be if I followed it, but ate at a deficit while also getting enough protein.

    Just curious on how this would all turn out because I've tried a good bit of different things and then eventually found out from others that what I was doing wasn't really optimal at all or good for my goals, which are to become more lean, and then to have a more toned body

    submitted by /u/Luniie
    [link] [comments]

    Deadlift stances

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 02:42 AM PDT

    Currently pulling sumo, 5rm 315lbs

    Is pulling sumo objectively worse for strength building? I ask this because of the slightly shorter range of motion. I don't intend to compete or focus on getting my numbers up on specific lifts. Since my goals are to simply build strength as a hobby.

    Would pulling conventional have better carry over to overall strength or does it even matter? Personally I prefer the feeling of a sumo deadlift but I'm willing to forego the comfort if it meant I could build strength much more efficiently

    PS to all the sumo lifters out there please don't be offended. I'm only asking questions and don't intend to belittle your achievements

    submitted by /u/Q_Q_Q_Q_Q_Q_Q_Q_Q
    [link] [comments]

    Is it too much volume for upper/lower split?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 02:38 AM PDT

    My routine is upper/lower 4-day split and I am spending 2.5 hours in the gym every session. I am worried it might be too much volume for a day and would impede muscle growth. I try to rest 3 minutes between sets. I am spending too much time in the gym and I feel there might be too many exercises for one session. How can I optimize my routine to make it more efficient both in terms of time and muscle growth? Here is my routine:

    Upper Day 1:
    Flat BB Bench Press 4x8
    Incline BB Bench Press 3x8
    Cable Chest Fly 3x12
    Bent Over Row 3x8
    Lat Pulldown 4x12
    Overhead press 4x8
    Lateral Raise 4x12
    Bicep Curl 4x8-12
    Concentration Curl 3x12
    Skullcrusher 3x12
    Triceps Pushdown 3x12

    Lower Day 2:
    Squat 4x12
    Seated Leg Press 3x12
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Lying Leg Curl 3x12
    Hip Adductor Machine 3x12
    Hip Abductor Machine 3x12
    Standing Calf Raise 4x20
    Cable Crunch 3x12
    Knee Raise 3x12

    Upper Day 4:
    Flat BB Bench Press 4x8
    Incline BB Bench Press 3x8
    Cable Chest Fly 3x12
    Dumbbell Row 3x12
    Face Pull 2x12
    Reverse Fly 2x12
    Lateral Raise 4x12
    Incline Curl 4x12
    Hammer Curl 3x12
    Close-grip Bench Press 3x12
    Triceps Pushdown 3x12

    Lower Day 5:
    Deadlift 4x8
    Seated Leg Press 3x12
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Lying Leg Curl 3x12
    Hip Adductor Machine 3x12
    Hip Abductor Machine 3x12
    Seated Calf Raise 2x20
    Standing Calf Raise 2x20
    Cable Crunch 3x12
    Knee Raise 2x12
    Cable Twist 2x12

    submitted by /u/MurkyAssassin
    [link] [comments]

    Right arm more sore than left

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 02:22 AM PDT

    Hello. I did a workout yesterday that included Biceps. I used Dumbells and resistance bands. I am right-handed and my left arm is slightly weaker than my right, but my right currently feels more worked. Is this normal. I use 1 dumbell at a time, so I do focus on one arm at a time.

    submitted by /u/DJS-2001
    [link] [comments]

    Calories counting, not enough?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 03:23 AM PDT

    So Ive been looking around the internet, to fing out how many calories should I intake. And yeah I found out that to lose weight I should eat around 1500 calories to lose weight, however isnt this a thing that when you intake not enough calories body stores fat?? And wont I lose muscles, slowing my metabolism further?

    submitted by /u/Nadine2808
    [link] [comments]

    I’m struggling to find a way to efficiently workout my shoulders while not sacrificing any other upper body workouts.

    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 09:19 PM PDT

    My routine is pretty simple. Push, pull, legs and an off day every week or two.

    On my push day, I do a pretty typical chest and triceps workout including different presses, flys, and various tricep isolation exercises.

    Pull day is back and biceps, again pretty typical. I've also recently incorporated some rear delt exercises into my back day which is a step toward answering this question.

    Legs, well, it's legs but I've been enjoying my leg days recently.

    I used to do a full shoulder workout on my leg days, including bar and dumbbell presses, raises, etc. The issue is here, where I would go to the gym the next day to hit chest and tris. I've come to realize that doing a full shoulder workout the day before a chest workout is not super productive for your chest. Now that I've stopped doing that, my chest is back on the rise again. BUT, what do I do with my shoulders???

    submitted by /u/CandiedJalapeno
    [link] [comments]

    Ab workouts that don’t involve thighs/quads?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 02:10 AM PDT

    Can anyone suggest ab exercises or YouTube ab workouts where quads are not involved? I'm really trying not to exercise them as they're already very toned

    submitted by /u/_-burrito-_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment