• Breaking News

    Monday, August 17, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 12:45 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to make the switch from lifting weights to lifting logs and tires, and I really don't know how to create a routine?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 05:57 PM PDT

    So, my university (stupidly) is bringing back in person classes. I spent the summer here as a nursing student that had to be in person, so I got used to the weight room at the rec center being usually empty/people following guidelines. Now, I see many people breaking simple mask guidelines, and I don't want to go back to the weight room because I know it's going to be packed.

    Behind my dorm, I have pull up bars, logs, and tires. I've gotten more muscle mass this summer, and I'd like to maintain that, but I really don't know where to start regarding creating a routine. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/subatomic_a-hole
    [link] [comments]

    I've found that focusing on the 20% that gives me 80% of the results while minimizing the risk works out best for me results-wise and for staying consistent. Is there any benefit to doing more than that, or is it usually just people with different goals who truly benefit from that?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 06:12 PM PDT

    I've been working out for almost 10 years now, on and off, and I found that the times where I had the most progress in staying fit and ripped were when I enjoyed going to the gym. The period when I was most in shape was when I ditch using squat racks, quit doing bench press on the barbell, and quit doing dead-lifts, and just did fully body exercises (I use machines, cables, and barbells, to individually reach each body part) with a short warm-up at the start of my work out, while going to the gym 3 times a week. I reached new heights regarding what I could lift, and regarding form, I would just do quick concentric motions and slow eccentric motions. I was also at my healthiest and never getting injuries while working out. It was low risk, high reward, for me. Then, I just make sure to get 100-130g of protein and lean bulk or cut at the calorie range that works best over a consistent long-term period. No keto or intermittent fasting, or any of that.

    I'm sure that for certain people, being very calculating in what exercises they do, it might be more beneficial to them, but why do some people view dead lifting, barbell bench press, and barbell squats as the holy grail? I get that there's a degree of more pay-off, which is why I used to do it, but it's also higher risk. Is it mostly bodybuilders, athletes/cross-fit, or power-lifters who do this?

    I've had people come up to me and ask me for all this crazy work out advice because they'd see my progress at the gym, and I'd just want to tell them that for their goals, it's not even worth it. Like they're going to the gym 5 days a week while stressing out about all this BS of the specifics, and then I see a lot of them quit in less than a month. Obviously, I'm not going to push my POV on others, but all that stressing over small details seems so pointless to me now.

    So is there something I'm missing out on fitness-wise by treating the gym like a casual hobby, and just engaging in recreational bodybuilding and staying fit, or are the gains really not that different?

    submitted by /u/Weeeyerd
    [link] [comments]

    Quarterly Book, Blog and Podcast Megathread!

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Quarterly Book, Blog and Podcast Megathread!

    This thread is for sharing fitness related books, blogs and podcasts that you enjoy, or taught you something useful about fitness.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    best exercise for endorphins?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 03:53 PM PDT

    what is the best exercise to release endorphins?

    Cardio (steady state)?

    HIIT?

    Lifting?

    im guessing its HIIT. if so, is there a way i can do HIIT every day or not?

    submitted by /u/Joshpills
    [link] [comments]

    Impact of early am workout on overall mood

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 12:19 AM PDT

    I've always been a fan of the early 6-7am workout: I have no excuses early in the morning and it helps me stay consistent. Since I am not hungry at all before those workouts I always perform them in a fasted state.

    However I've noticed that lately I'm feeling pretty cranky once I get to work after my workout. I don't really feel like talking to my colleagues and am pretty irritated.
    Generally getting my workout done in the morning does wonders for my mood and energy level throughout the day, but recently I'm "down" for a few hours after working out.

    Any of you experience something similar? I am working with a fairly strict caloric deficit though lately, so maybe that has a bigger effect on me than I expected.

    submitted by /u/Myz1988
    [link] [comments]

    Calorie Deficit Half the Week, Maintenance The Other Half?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 02:08 PM PDT

    Anyone offer insight to this specific calorie deficit "plan"? Basically just Mon-Thurs 500 deficit each day, and Fri-Sun 2100 Maintenance calories.

    I've only ever done just full on deficit every day "diets" before so I was curious if something like this split plan is even feasible.

    Not sure if height/weight is relevant but 5'11" 137 lbs. Really just aiming for a slow .5lb a week.

    Any insight is appreciated, sorry if this has been asked, could not find anything after a quick search.

    EDIT: I don't enjoy working out, simple as that. I don't why, but I don't enjoy it. That being said, I was 220lbs, I lost 80+lbs through diet, so I would hope I am not coming off as some skinny bitch who's too lazy to put in effort.

    submitted by /u/HypeBeast-jaku
    [link] [comments]

    Help.

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 03:54 AM PDT

    I'm a 20 year old 6,2 210 Lb male. I need help. I am also kinda broke. I need help with getting a diet plan in place. I have a weight bench I saved up for and a planet fitness membership since it's so cheap so getting an actual workout isn't a problem. I have urges..... I like cheese and chocolate and eating overly salted foods. McDonald's cheeseburgers are literal crack. Not to say I don't hate healthy food it's actually the very opposite. I only eat unhealthy foods because suprise surpise it's readily available and cheap as hell. I know what to eat but it's so hard to keep track of how much protein to eat which fruits or vegetables have the right soluable fiber or vitamins. Should I be eating a lot of whole grains? What's the deal with potatoes and starch?
    I tried to take the Dan Bilzerian method. No processed foods or sugars of any kind no dairy. It's hard with a budget. So if anyone at all could just help with cheap healthy foods or maybe possibly share with me their personal meal plan would help out alot.

    submitted by /u/GreasyGEazy
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth buying a deadlift bar if I already have an ohio power bar?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 02:53 AM PDT

    I deadlift both conventional and sumo, and my 1rm for both is around low to mid 400lbs.

    However, my form is still left to be desired at those heavy weights.

    I'm hopping onto average to savage 2.0..shoutout to /u/gnuckols. And I am hoping to deadlift 450 pounds for some rpe8-9 singles with good form by the end pf the year.

    My question is...is it dumb to spend $400 on a deadlift bar when I can lift that heavy? Does it make a big difference in terms of form?

    Or is it not much of a difference and OPB is fine?

    submitted by /u/herotohero
    [link] [comments]

    GVT and the benefits of cycling my training

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 08:13 PM PDT

    I have been lifting for nearly three years, however due to poor squat form and too much weight after 2 years my knees were shot. After healing for 4 months, I discovered German volume training (at least in relation to squats) 10x10 squats are killer, insane workout and little knee pain! I know it is good to cycle your workouts between strength and hypertrophy every 6 weeks or so, but I recently tried strength based squats, and unfortunately still had knee pain. My question is this: will I still be able to reap considerable benefits of GVT without cycling to strength and shocking the muscles? 

    tldr; if I squat 10x10 in a program, will it still be effective without cycling to a strength based program every six weeks?

    submitted by /u/furryrightz
    [link] [comments]

    Starting running

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 01:50 AM PDT

    Hi - i'm 45 and just started running properly, i'm starting very slowly - but have noticed i get pains in the front of my knee, especially the right one (which physio has said is weaker, so doing extra work on that). I've been cycling over last few years, but no running. I'm just wondering if its the impact of running and my knees arent used to it. Anyone else gone through that ? Im taking it very slow !

    submitted by /u/morph9494
    [link] [comments]

    Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness 2.0 HELP

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 03:01 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I want to start running the ICF 2.0 Novelty program but I'm not quite sure how the progressive overload works. I've watched his video but there are some aspects I don't quite understand, like the progressive overload.

    I'm relatively new to the gym and working out in general and I would really appreciate some advice on how the program works.

    Thanks in advance guys.

    submitted by /u/PLUPPYTHESLOTH
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner Routine with lots of isolation exercises: is it good or bad in the long run?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 11:13 PM PDT

    Beginner lifter here. Been in the gym for a month now. Made my own routine from scratch and am still changing 2-3 exercises around. PPL split, twice a week. 6 days a week in the gym. Progressively increasing either reps or weight (or both) for each exercise every session, so clearly I'm making decent strength gains. But I want to be hypetrophy focused.

    PUSH:

    5x5 BB Bench Press

    3x8-12 Inc. DB Bench Press

    3x8-12 Decline Press (Machine)

    ** I would add a cable chest exercise here, but the cables in my gym have been limited to 1 cable per person so I can no longer do chest flyes ** (I also do not have pec deck machine in my gym)

    3x8 BB OHP

    3x12-15 DB Side Laterals

    3x8-12 Leaning Cable Side Laterals

    3x12 Cable Tri. Pushdowns

    3x8-12 Cable Overhead Tri. Extensions

    Superset: 3x6 EZ Bar Flat Bench Skullcrushers into 3x8 Flat Bench Tricep Press

    PULL:

    3x6-8 BB Deadlifts

    3x8-12 BB Bent Over Row (not Pendlay row)

    3x8-12 Lat Pulldowns

    3x8-12 Rows Machine

    3x8 Strict EZ Bar Bicep Curl (strict = butt and shoulderblades pressed against a wall to prevent cheating)

    3x8-12 Rope Hammer Curls (prioritizing Brachialis)

    3x8-12 Behind Body Cable Curl (thinking of switching this out for another long head exercise)

    2x8 Incline Bench Curl (w/supination)

    2x8 Incline Bench Curl (w'out supination)

    LEGS:

    3x5 BB Squats

    3x5 Stiff-Legged Deadlift

    3x8-12 Quad Leg Extension Machine

    3x8-12 Hamstrings Leg Extension Machine

    3x10-12 Seated Calf Raise Machine

    3x8 Leg Press (legs close together to prioritize quads)

    ** I need a good hamstrings exercise to put here **

    (IF I HAVE TIME): 3x8 Hip Thrusts w/BB

    I'm starting to incorporate abs in my workout but I'm still unsure whether to do them on Pull or Legs day. Or maybe both days? Here's the list of ab/oblique exercises I plan to do:

    Cable Crunches

    Crunches on Decline Bench

    Captains Chair Crunches (legs straight to hit abs, then again but crunching left and right to hit obliques) (once my core and grip is strong enough I'll do these hanging from a bar)

    Cable Woodchoppers

    Any tips or recommendations would be great. Stuff to add, remove etc. Wondering if this workout routine will be good in the long run or if I'm an idiot for doing too many isolation exercises too early.

    submitted by /u/JimmyCG
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner Question.

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 04:21 AM PDT

    I'm hesitant to post anything here, because every time I do I get told to go read the wiki.

    well, I've read it. it's overwhelming as hell, and I have a specific goal in mind, that I don't believe I need a personal trainer for.

    I want to get shredded. maybe not 5% BF, but I'm 5'11, 239 lbs as of this morning. it's all 100% belly fat. my legs look like normal people's legs, maybe like a bodybuilder's legs, without the definition. probably from moving my big belly around.

    my bench is 225, my squat is 240 as of yesterday. so I have muscle, I just also happen to be fat.

    I understand calories now and I've been eating a calorie deficit. regardless, my goal is NOT body recomposition. I don't WANT to wear XL shirts. I don't WANT to be a 36 or 38 waist in pants. I don't WANT to look like the rock, even though he is my gym dream.

    I'm trying to go for a jason statham look. "toned" and "shredded"

    this leads me to my question, and why the wiki hasn't been helpful at all.

    I don't know jack shit about fitness programs. so what routine do I pick to accomplish my goals. I don't want to gain size, or mass. I'm not even 6 feet tall and I weigh 240 lbs. I'm obese lol. I want to be normal sized, with some muscle definition.

    do I pick a cardio routine? do I incorporate a HIIT workout into the 5/3/1? is 5/3/1 even something I want to do to get shredded.

    I literally have no idea.

    submitted by /u/GrumpyKitten514
    [link] [comments]

    Organising a caloric goal

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 01:13 AM PDT

    Hello. I've recently come out of a cut, not because I've removed all the body fat that I sought to, but more so because I didn't want my weight to drop any lower then it currently is. Originally I was overweight in highschool, so a combo of gym going and diet helped to build some strength and lose the bulk of the fat. I started taking lifting seriously with a variation between 2, 3, and 4 day splits (doing the same volume, just different setups) from Dec 2019 onwards. Prior to that date i had been in the gym 2 times a week but with less dedication.

    My stats are 18y, 5'10, 142 pounds.

    Besides love handles remaining, I'm relatively comfortable with my current bf%, so I've decided to put some mass on frame because I'd like to further my lifts at the gym, currently for 3x5 (B: 65kg, SQ: 100kg, D: 140kg). So in this phase my primary goal is put on muscle, with a secondary goal to recomp some of the remaining fat. Using a TDEE it estimates a maintenance of 2600. I plan on continuing my 3 day full body routine while aiming for this number, assessing my physique and a scale over a 2-4 week period to see if this number is appropriate. I'm well aware some fat will be put on in a lean bulking phase and I'm comfortable with this, more so wanting to optimize a diet to support my training and avoid excessive gain. I'd appreciate any direction that could be given from you guys.

    Cheers.

    submitted by /u/Cellude
    [link] [comments]

    Completely hypothetically, could you survive off a diet consisting of entirely mass gainer and water?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 04:47 AM PDT

    Obviously this isn't a great idea and won't be tried any time soon by myself, but I'm wondering if it's possible. Why is/isn't it possible? If it is, what are the severe cons?

    submitted by /u/AlucardIsHard
    [link] [comments]

    This body fat % scale is lying to me, can someone educated tell me what's more accurate here?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 09:12 PM PDT

    So i got this scale that measures BF% about a week ago, some context. I am 16, 5'7/5'8 160.8 lbs.. This scale literally says that I have 33.9% BF but right under it says i have 24.7lbs of fat weight which would mean i'm 15.3% BF? Doesn't having 34% BF mean that you're like morbidly obese? (Am deffo not that)

    I would give you guys a picture of me but pics of people under 18 aren't allowed on here. I will say that i'm flat chested though..

    Scale results: https://imgur.com/a/L8tveUB

    submitted by /u/Mic_Ryley
    [link] [comments]

    Moving away from gym?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 07:59 PM PDT

    Curious about people who have had a similar transition in the past -- appreciate any applicable advice.

    I'm an intermediate lifter (~2 years, 300 bench, 450 deadlift, 190 ohp) who's run several programs for both strength and bodybuilding. Going back to school this fall and won't have access to a gym. Was curious about how people with similar lifting experience have kept their strength / physique up without access in the past. Open to anything and willing to spend a few hundred $. No experience at all with calisthenics or other forms of strength training, but willing to learn.

    submitted by /u/stands
    [link] [comments]

    Help w my indoor bike

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 05:58 PM PDT

    So my bike(stationary) has a difficulty level from 0-100 I'm wondering what I should take into account when picking the level for a workout

    submitted by /u/47380boebus
    [link] [comments]

    Left calf is shaped different and smaller than my right calf (tips for strengthening)

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 09:11 PM PDT

    My left calf is shaped differently than my right. I played soccer for 17 years of my life and my right leg is my dominant one. I just recently noticed that my left calf looks different and is smaller/weaker than my right. Also my balance is definitely better on my right. It's really weird but is that normal to have your dominant leg more defined and stronger?

    I'm starting to get back into shape and would appreciate some exercises that can strengthen up my left leg. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/WustacheMax_
    [link] [comments]

    Simple Booty Routine for a girl??

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 11:19 PM PDT

    My girlfriend is trying to get in shape. She specifically wants to grow her butt. The problem is people keep recommending me a ton of different work outs for Glutes and not a routine she can follow.

    So instead I've just made my own for her but its probably no good.

    Workout A: Wall Squats RDL's Push-Ups Lat-Pull Downs

    Workout B: Lunges Hamstring Machine. Abductor Machine

    Obviously its leg heavy but that's her goal.

    submitted by /u/4EyedEagle
    [link] [comments]

    When should I use isoburn? And will apple cider vinegar tablets help?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 10:50 PM PDT

    I usually do cardio with my excersise bike for an hour, a little bit after I wake up, then later in the evening I do weightlifting/abs. I am trying to lose belly fat right now. Was wondering if anyone has any insight of when to use isoburn with this schedule and if those apple cider vinegar tablets would help with metabolism or if it will just interfere with the protein intake. Any tips would be great.

    submitted by /u/TypicalWhiteAsianBoy
    [link] [comments]

    Can I train strength for only my chest?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    I want my bench to increase, and I already have a pretty nice chest so I'm not prioritizing size much. But I want to focus on size for my legs, back, and biceps. Can my push day be strength-focused and the other days be mass-focused?

    Info that isnt really important: 18M 6'4" Moderately active No diseases I eat a lot idk??

    Also I know this is just a general fitness subreddit so can anybody recommend any weightlifting/bodybuilding subreddits?

    submitted by /u/ribrob2
    [link] [comments]

    Best types of exercises for general health and strength that burn the least amount of calories.

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 07:57 PM PDT

    I am a 22 (M) and due to some autoimmune issues, I have a hard time gaining weight. So my goal is to gain weight but at the same time be physically healthy with exercise. So i'm wondering what types of exercise give the most benefits (general health and also strength) but at the same time consume the least amount of calories.

    submitted by /u/Daimaz
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment