• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 16, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: How's this 4-dat workout split?

    Beginner Fitness: How's this 4-dat workout split?


    How's this 4-dat workout split?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 07:17 PM PDT

    Day 1 (Chest / Biceps / Legs):

    200 Pushups: 100 normal, 100 weighted

    Bicep Curls

    Flat Bench Press

    Hammer Curls

    Close Grip Bench Press

    Leg Extensions

    Calf Raises

    Day 2 (Back / Shoulders / Triceps):

    10 Minute Ab Workout

    Kneeling One Arm Row

    Seated Shoulder Press

    Shrugs

    Double Arm Tricep Lift

    Front Shoulder Raise

    Reverse Fly

    Day 3 (Chest / Biceps / Legs):

    200 Pushups: 100 normal, 100 weighted

    Incline Bench Press

    Curls

    Chest Flies

    Concentration Curls

    Leg Squats

    Day 4 (Back / Shoulders / Triceps):

    10 Minute Ab Workout

    Standing Double Arm Row

    Lying Tricep Extension

    Deadlift

    Side Shoulder Raise

    Shrugs

    Weighted Pull-Up Bar Tricep Dip

    submitted by /u/baseball_121
    [link] [comments]

    How to overcome injuries to be able to do a pushup?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 10:06 AM PDT

    Hey y'all. Let me start out by saying sorry if this is wordy, but. I'm kind of a wordy person. The TL;DR is that I want to be able to do a pushup and need some advice.

    I am male, I just turned 36, and I am currently at 415 lbs - the heaviest and most depressing weight of my life. I am 6'2" and have a naturally very stocky linebacker sort of frame. I was very physically active as a young kid, and did a lot of lifting in my early teens years, but.
    I have never been able to do a pushup, and its quietly gnawed at me my whole life. It for sure wasn't for a lack of trying, at least when I was younger, but there were some issues that I largely ignored/blamed myself for, and they've caught up to me over the years.

    -I had very bad hypermobile joints growing up, so stability wasn't good and my joints slipped a lot. I still suffer from this, but not quite as intensely.
    -I had undiagnosed pain issues growing up, which have since been identified as fibromyalgia. I medicate for this daily.
    -I severely injured my right ankle as a teen, and couldn't support my weight on it in "proper" pushup form for many years. The joint still slips on me from time to time.
    -Several years ago, I broke my wrist in a fall accident, and it never healed properly. As such, my right wrist doesn't have full range of motion - maybe 50-60%.
    -Last year in July, I was rear ended at an intersection, and twisted my spine, damaging several lower discs. I've mostly recovered, but my mobility has reduced even more, just from having to sit around stationary and not really being active. There is still pain, but it is tolerable for me.
    -I am on a LOT of medications for my mental health. Unfortunately, my brain just don't work so good. This means that I know exercise is even more crucial for my health, but also that the medications cause me a LOT of fatigue and gray days, where motivation to exist is very difficult.

    Now, not trying to sound like some sort of movie star action hero badass, but pain is rather insignificant for me. I've dealt with it my whole life and my tolerance is frustratingly high - this is just to note that pain from exercise isn't keeping me from it, for sure. I am, however, extremely easily discouraged, a very annoying fault. If I fail at something that I see other people do with ease, even if I know I have to work to get there, I will get angry and give up. Its something I struggle with a lot, but currently is still a factor. Also, I have never experienced that post workout "high" people talk about, and I have to wonder if that's just my own brain working against me, or something else. My doctor kinda just shrugged when I asked them.

    Also think I should say that yes, despite my weight, I am very healthy overall. I have very minor hypertension, just like every person in my family, and it is controlled with simple medication. As of last week, and for months prior, my blood pressure is right in the middle of the range my doctor wants. My blood sugar, oxygen levels, etc are all well within the healthy ranges. But I'd like to keep them there and actually get strong again. I attended physical therapy after my accident, so I am okay to move and work on my strength - I simply don't go now due to a combination of insurance + COVID.

    Now, if you've stuck it out this long - I really appreciate you. You're a champ. As far as my goal, as stated above - I want to be able to do even just one pushup, smoothly and correctly.
    Why a pushup? Is there some specific medical reason for it?
    Nope. It is just a goal I have. To be able to drop down, crack one out, and hop up, without missing a beat or groaning like I'm 80 years old.

    And after all of this information dump, I turn to you, Reddit. People with more experience - where do I even start? What do you suggest to build up strength at an acceptable pace, and what ideas can you toss my way to avoid getting frustrated with my perceived lack of ability/progress?

    submitted by /u/khaixur
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment