• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 16, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Routine Campfire - Hal Higdon's Novice 5K Program

    Beginner Fitness: Routine Campfire - Hal Higdon's Novice 5K Program


    Routine Campfire - Hal Higdon's Novice 5K Program

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 03:18 PM PDT

    Welcome to the next r/Fitness Campfire series - Routine Campfires! You can read the original announcement thread along with the future schedule here.


    This week's topic: Hal Higdon's Novice 5K Program

    Ask questions you have about this routine in this thread, and the community will help you get an answer.


    Here are the rules for Routine Campfires:

    • Routine Campfires are for asking specific questions about a specific routine and getting answers from the community.
    • Top level comments must be a specific question about the topic routine. Questions which are excessively vague to a point of being difficult to answer directly will not be permitted. Comments should not be used for general chit-chat, just for asking and answering questions.
    • Routine Campfires are not for routine critique requests of any kind. This includes but is not limited to: tweaks, lift replacements, accessory choices. All such questions should be directed to the Daily Thread exactly as any normal routine critique would be.
    • Replies to questions should be either an answer to the question, or asking the poster for information necessary to better answer the question.
    • Comments which in any way support or encourage piracy of a routine or its material will be removed and posters who make them banned permanently.
    • Comments should be civil and serious. Jokes, memes, and rudeness will not be permitted.
    • If the answer to a question can be found in an existing page about the routine, please be sure to include a link to the page.
    • Please check the thread to see if your question has been asked prior to posting.

    Comments which break these rules will be removed and posters given bans at the discretion of the moderators. Remember when you participate that the purpose of these threads is to develop community resources for those who come to r/Fitness for help in the future.

    submitted by /u/purplespengler
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 16, 2020

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need a seated calf raise machine for my gym?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 09:09 PM PDT

    Me and my brother were trying to plan out what we needed to buy for our personal in-house gym and he is convinced that we absolutely need a seated calf raise machine. Considering how we're both working out just to look better, I don't think it's necessary to completely work every part of the calf; we could just work our calves with other exercises. What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/ribb2112
    [link] [comments]

    What should my goal weight be?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 02:47 AM PDT

    18 yr old f here, 5'8". I was at about 112 lbs at the start of quarantine and with the help of calorie counting - am up to 120!

    Right now I'm at a point where I'm still underweight and have really low energy, the only exercise I enjoy and have the energy for is swimming.

    First of all, is 1 hr of mid-impact swimming good enough? I want to be toned and healthy, I'm not necessarily going after a six pack or anything.

    I want to have energy and stop feeling cold whenever I'm not in 90 degree weather.

    What should my goal weight be? I've looked at a bunch of charts and thought 135 lbs would be the sweet spot, thoughts?

    submitted by /u/PriceApprehensive22
    [link] [comments]

    Shift worker fitness

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 12:23 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Found this sub in order to try and find some answers.

    I was wondering how anyone who works rotating day and night shifts (mine in particular are 12 hours) managed to eat healthy and be able to fully workout and get the same results as people with regular hour jobs.

    Do you eat different when you are on nights? How to you manage to recover and switch back to day shift as well?

    Stuff like this is what I'm wondering about.. also would like to know what material people have used to help out with getting fit on a weird schedule.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Tarugo_32
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-meet advice

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:31 AM PDT

    I had no luck in r/powerlifting daily thread, so possibly I can find help here.

    I have my first meet next month (28-30th August), we have 2 hour weigh-ins. I enrolled for 52kg cat, I'm 52.X (depends on my cycle, what I ate the day before etc.). I consider myself intermediate, if I make weight I'll sit somewhere in the middle on the scoreboard. I successfully add ~1kg to my bench, ~1.5kg to my squat and ~2.5kg to my dl every 2 weeks, so although those aren't newbie gains numbers, I still gain strength rather fast.

    From what I've read there are 2 ways for me to make weight - a cut 5 days before the meet, not advised for beginners. Mostly focused on water loading and emptying stomach content. Other way would be to start a deficit 4 weeks prior to the meet. A deficit of 200kcal would be enough for me to get down to 52kg. Then I wouldn't really need to worry about the whole protocol. I'm only considering this, because I'm not an advanced lifter and could possibly still gain strength on a deficit.

    Also I'm starting to prepare my numbers, any tips?

    Squat

    60 65 70 - 60 I can squat twice on a horrible day, 65 I can squat once on a good day (did it twice already), 70 I've never done before

    Bench

    30 35 40 - 30 I can usually bench 4x4, I chose a low number bc I'm scared of commands and want to get it for sure, 35 I pressed once on a good day, 40 I never pressed

    Deadlift

    75 80 85 - 75 I deadlift for doubles/triples, can always pull this, but form can get worse on a bad day, 80 and 85 I hit recently with a solid struggle on 85.

    I'm asking here cause my team's coach doesn't really coach lol (academic teams ❤️) and I can't afford a real one.

    submitted by /u/ThatPlantWitch
    [link] [comments]

    Should I lose the weight first ?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:04 AM PDT

    I'm 16 and I'm approximately like 25 pounds overweight and I'm wondering if I should drop the pounds first before I start hitting the gym because I heard it's harder to gain muscle once you've loss a certain amount of weight and trying to keep a deficit.

    submitted by /u/louieSUPREAM
    [link] [comments]

    My face shape got really bad. Is there any way of fixing it naturally?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 04:06 AM PDT

    I was looking through old photos and noticed my face changed drastically, but I can't pinpoint what it is. It looks like it's my jawline. I haven't really gained any weight or changed any lifestyle habits. Any ideas on what happened and how to return to normal?

    Before and after: https://imgur.com/a/rniZB2U

    submitted by /u/luckystar999
    [link] [comments]

    Can I make gains/maintain at my current job?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 02:52 AM PDT

    I got a job at a factory warehouse (akin to how Amazon operates), I'm on my second week and have found that I don't have any time to workout normally as I'm working swing shift with frequent overtime. However, every day after getting off work I'm completely sore all over, my job is basically an 8+ hr full-body workout, I'm constantly lifting heavy boxes around and walking, can anyone who has worked a similar job tell me if it's possible to maintain myself or even make gains if I continue eating well?

    edit: I realized after posting that maintaining will be pretty easy, so I guess I should narrow it down to these two things: can I make gains, and am I missing any muscle groups from my job or is it truly a full-body workout like it feels?

    submitted by /u/hamyam386
    [link] [comments]

    Always struggled on the bench press but when i arched my back i can lift more.

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:47 AM PDT

    Hello, So i always struggled on my way up on the bench press but when i lifted my back up , i can easily now push the weight up, like the only thing that supports me are the top of my back and foot. Why is that? Is it okay?

    submitted by /u/canismajores
    [link] [comments]

    I ate my carb Allotment pre-workout, should i still have carbs post workout with protein?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 11:19 PM PDT

    So I have been counting macros lately and am running into a problem tonight that I tried searching here and google and got no specific answer to my question.

    I ate my Carbs/Fat for the day but still need protein and just finished my workout and am about to eat. Should I still eat a small amount of Carbs along with my Protein to replenish Glycogen? Or can I just eat the tuna I have and nothing else and be fine?

    submitted by /u/TisforTurtle
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on cardio

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 10:56 PM PDT

    I've been trying to lose weight recently but my city got locked down yesterday and I can't go out for a jog anymore, I used to jog about 3km what would be a good substitute? I don't have a treadmill or an indoor cycle. Would jumping rope be able to substitute the jog?

    submitted by /u/big-potato-diccs
    [link] [comments]

    Week off bulking nutrition

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 04:22 PM PDT

    I'm in the middle of a fairly aggressive clean eating bulk. Coming off running a marathon, including the months and hundreds of miles of training, I lost a good deal of my muscle mass.

    Currently, I am out of town for the week with no access to resistance training equipment. I'm taking the opportunity to give myself a much needed week off from lifting to help my body recover.

    My question is this: should my nutrition stay the same as it was when I was training? Or should bring my macros down to maintenance?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/marielFTM
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth it to do a 3 week bulk period, or should I try to hit a month/4 weeks?

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 02:00 PM PDT

    so I'm on my way to finishing week 3 of a concentrated effort to bulk up. I'm eating more, weight lifting and trying to be sore the next day. This was after doing about 2-3 months of cardio and endurance training, which I enjoyed vastly more as exercise.

    I thought I may have been getting too skinny though, so I just wanted to up my muscular structure a bit before returning to that same routine, with a better emphasis on eating more and cleaner.

    Bulking has gone okay, but I dislike it more than what I was doing before because I feel like I push pretty hard in the gym but still don't always feel as sore the next day. So that day is just wasted. I also am not counting my calories exactly, but eating a lot is honestly such a chore.

    I'm pretty eager to finish this off this week, but is there any benefit to just toughing it out for one more week? I mean, I know there will probably be a benefit to doing it one more week, but since I've made it this far, I'm just wondering if it would pretty much negate any progress I have made to stop now. I've gained about 2 pounds. Anyone find themselves in a similar position?

    submitted by /u/spuckler296
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment