• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 23, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 23, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 23, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 23, 2020

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How long after 'warming up/stretching' muscles do they 'cool off' and lose the benefit?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 07:29 PM PDT

    I am following a strength training program that involves at least three major muscle areas a day (e.g. legs, shoulders, back), so sometimes I'm already halfway through my session before I start working the third muscle group. I'm wondering if I can do warm-up stretches and movements for all three at the start of the session, or will I lose the benefit of the warmup if it takes 30+ minutes for me to actually get to the main sets for that muscle group? Would it be significantly more beneficial to do each muscle group's warmup right before those sets?

    submitted by /u/ChurchofPancake
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone increase weights per set?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    So like, if you were to use a weighted machine, has anyone thought of using light weights high reps until fail, and increasing the weights every set with short rest periods? I am pretty sure there was a name for it but not sure what it was called?

    submitted by /u/Callmerank1
    [link] [comments]

    Some questions about weight lifting

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 11:57 PM PDT

    I am just looking for some basic information because I see so much information about routines on different websites, subs, blogs, etc... that I'm not sure how to tell the difference between different techniques/practices.

    1. Why do some exercises have different recommended reps? Some are 5 reps, 8 reps, 10 reps... per set? Does it depend more on the muscle being used, the specific exercise, or the amount of weight?
    2. What is the difference between going up in weight between sets and going down? Some routines start light and work up, while others start heavy and work down. Do they have different benefits?
    submitted by /u/kingcal
    [link] [comments]

    Am I Over trained

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 03:52 AM PDT

    I've been working out for 3 months and been lifting heavy weights recently. I only take 2 days resting but separately. Anyways when i was working out my shoulders yesterday, I felt the pain of left shoulder's rotator cuff as i was working for reps. I stopped working out my shoulders took a break time and went to train my triceps. Not only i feel pain on my shoulders but also on my arms and legs. Should I take break from working out? If yes how much? Or is it normal to feel sore pain in arms and legs and continue training?

    submitted by /u/sheaib
    [link] [comments]

    What do you do with fitness information overload?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 01:48 AM PDT

    This expert, that expert, and their brothers uncle's sister's friend says...

    Nutrition, supplements, to what exercise program to do, and when.

    I'm making progress but it's slow and unfocused. 10 months and 60lbs with some strength gains but nothing serious.

    submitted by /u/ithinktoomuch2019
    [link] [comments]

    2% body fat loss and 2% muscle gain: are these good results?

    Posted: 23 Jul 2020 12:48 AM PDT

    Although I've tried to stay fit in the past, I've decided to actually take it seriously for 21 days. Mainly focusing on my diet, and exercising when I can. Today marks 21 days, and my weight is literally the same, haha, buuut I lost 2% body fat and gained 2% muscle. Is this percentage good? Is this average or below average? I ask because I want to make sure I am headed in the right direction or if I should make more adjustments. (Going to the gym more, adding to or altering my diet, etc.) I'm such a newbie! I appreciate any advice or guidance. Thank you so much ahead of time. ♥️

    submitted by /u/SecretlyShiney
    [link] [comments]

    I didn’t see anything on the wiki that states this but I have a question.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 09:01 PM PDT

    If you're already overweight do you need to bulk on food?

    I'm sorry that's a stupid question but Im currently learning what needs to be done in order to weightlift. Can I just weightlift with proper protein? Or do I need to bulk in order to start gains? Again, sorry.

    submitted by /u/113m0nDr0p
    [link] [comments]

    How do you properly rest from a full body workout?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 08:22 PM PDT

    I think it is pretty common knowledge nowadays that when you work out, your muscle fibers are undergoing "trauma" and go through a miraculous repair/growth process to account for the excess load (and prevent further "trauma"). The more intense the "trauma" or the workout is, the longer the recovery process takes.

    Nowadays, we have so many different forms of intense strength training, such as powerlifting, crossfit, powerbulding, strongman, etc.. Most of these workout styles involve intense, full body workouts. Thus, muscle fibers across your entire body are undergoing lots of "damage" during these workouts, however it seems most of these workouts are done every day.

    Working out half the time (one rest, one full body, etc..) is not really feasible if you want to work out every day, but doing intense full body workouts every day also does not seem feasible, given you are doing more harm than good damaging your muscle fibers during rebuilding/growth phases.

    How exactly do you do full body workouts every day and still give your body plenty of time to heal? How exactly is this handled in these sports/ways of working out to achieve optimal results? What is the trick here?

    submitted by /u/twnbay76
    [link] [comments]

    Protein fat

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 11:45 PM PDT

    So I'm looking at overall fitness not bodybuilding or trying to tone if that helps

    So is it better to have fat created by excess protein consumption or by the whole "empty calories"? I would figure protein is better for you but does it affect your body differently or is it harder to get rid of than sugars and oils?

    If this doesn't get removed my question is. if I'm bored and want to eat something I don't need, would it be worse or better to eat a high calorie protein bar than a bag of chips or Snicker's that has less calories but isn't as healthy

    Thank you all for your help

    submitted by /u/userquestiion
    [link] [comments]

    How to tell when you are pushing yourself too hard?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 02:54 PM PDT

    I just stopped smoking 4 days ago... I was a heavy smoker. Whenever I get a craving, I run. Suffice it to say, I've been running a lot lately. A mile every other day. (A lot for me)... I even ran a mile in 100 degree weather on Sunday. Anyways, I wanted to run today even though I ran yesterday... but I am SO tired. I even took a nap today, which is very strange for me. I felt very very dizzy right after eating, right before my nap. I read that quitting cigarettes can cause dizziness? I'm worried I've overdone it. I've accepted that I'll need to break today, but do you think it's okay if I get back into it tomorrow or should I break longer? Thanks guys

    submitted by /u/spacesauce_27
    [link] [comments]

    Elevated HR hours after cardio

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 02:53 PM PDT

    I've noticed that when I go out biking, my heart rate afterward tends to stay in the high-70s to high 80s range for quite a while. The elevation generally levels off and returns to normal by 11 or 12 at night and I'm able to sleep quite well, but last Friday and yesterday, the heart rate continued to be in the high 70s at bedtime and also resulted in me not being able to fall asleep until almost 4 in the morning compared to me usual of 12-1 at night. My Fitbit puts my RHR at 60-65 most days, and according to the Fitbit, my heart rate right after waking up is usually in the 50s except for last night in the 60s. I'm a 17y/o male, slightly overweight, works out maybe 5-6 days a week, only drink one cup of coffee in the morning. Could this be overtraining or something else?

    submitted by /u/Accurate_Vermicelli
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any value in moderate-intensity cardio?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 01:53 PM PDT

    For the past 3-4 months, I've been jogging 5 km about 5 days a week, at a fairly high intensity (though of course not as high as the explosive bursts that interval training requires, hence "moderate"). I'm pretty wiped by the end. As far as I can tell, my times haven't improved -- though it's a bit hard to know, since the weather has been getting progressively hotter. That's a bit discouraging.

    Supposedly the right way to go about this is lots of low-intensity cardio (70% max HR) with occasional HIIT. But is there any benefit to the kinds of workouts I've been doing?

    submitted by /u/dharmadhatu
    [link] [comments]

    Exercising makes metabolism faster - does it mean it makes also lifespan shorter?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 09:45 PM PDT

    I am just wondering as it is a quite known fact, the faster the metabolism is, the organism has usually shorter lifespan. If you exercise eventually you end up with much faster metabolism than you had before, does it also mean your life will be more likely shorter? Or the benefits of physical activities are stronger?

    Is there any study?

    submitted by /u/emreddit
    [link] [comments]

    Tilting head downwards when lifting - is that bad?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    I usually instinctively tilt my head down when lifting. For sure I do it on bicep curls and shoulder shrugs. Probably others.

    Is it bad to that? Is that making the exercises less concentrated on the targeted muscles?

    Lately, I've been making conscientious effort to keep my head up and look straight.

    submitted by /u/asdfjkl12889
    [link] [comments]

    Always hit a Ceiling after a couple of Months

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 03:28 PM PDT

    Hi,

    so I have a problem (m, almost 28). Luckily my genetics are optimal so I get quite ripped very quickly.

    However, this usually lasts a few months until I hit a ceiling and my body starts to deteriorate while I still can lift the same weights. I basically do a push/pull workout (3x/week, push/pull alternating) with pretty much always the same exercises, I know.

    How much variation is necessary and what does e.g. variation mean concretely?

    My plan:

    Pull:
    1) Deadlifts w/ barbell 3x ~12 rep
    2) Bent over rows w/ barbell 3x ~12 rep
    3) Neck carrying dumbbells and simply pulling them upwards 3x~20 rep
    4) Pull ups 3x
    5) Shoulders w/ dumbbells 3x ~12 rep
    6) Biceps w/ barbell 3x ~12 rep
    7) Situps 4x

    Push:
    1) Leg press 3x ~12 rep
    2) Bench press w/ barbell 3x ~12 rep
    3) Upper chest bench press 3x w/ dumbbells 3x ~12 rep
    4) Dips 3x
    5) Chest Butterfly w/ wires 3x ~12 rep
    6) Situps 4x

    Maybe that was a bit too specific. Do you have any good plans that also teach variation?Stupidly I'm a huge person of habbit, meaning it's very hard for me to break a routine.

    Thanks in advance and many regards

    *Edit: Wtf is up with all the toxicity in this forum? If you dislike anything of what I wrote then that's fine, but why be so negative?

    submitted by /u/mikehawk1988
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment