• Breaking News

    Monday, June 29, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 12:33 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    Do ab exercises ever get easier?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 04:09 PM PDT

    I've noticed a trend with ab exercises that I don't get with other exercises. Usually working out is hard work and tiring, but it feels really rewarding. Doing ab exercises however just feels like I'm making myself sick. Even a little bit of effort in doing ab exercises puts me into that "hell nope, that feels bad" mindset, and it's a lot harder to get through (physically and mentally) than other exercises.

    I have no issue working e.g. biceps to exhaustion, but going hard on abs feels similarly miserable as when I'm having a moderate food allergy, lmao. I really want to start working more on abs to develop a stronger core, but it's the main issue that's keeping me from being excited about working on those muscles.

    So I'm wondering, what has your experience with this been? Is this just a sign of weak muscles, and likely to improve as your core gets stronger? Or do ab exercises just always feel that way? And lastly, if you get this too: How do you deal with it in a way that improves your workout + motivation?

    TL;DR: Ab exercise feels bad in a way that no other exercise does. How do you deal with this, and does this feeling ever improve?

    submitted by /u/bakuze_n
    [link] [comments]

    Have you felt more energetic in general since getting fit?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 06:54 PM PDT

    I'm someone who's just wanting to get fit for the general energy boost that I've heard some people mention, and I'm not training for anything in particular.

    The closest thing to performance would honestly be having more stamina in the bedroom but you obviously don't have to be as fit as a fiddle for that

    Of course there are other major factors in energy levels such as sleep and diet but I'm interested in how fitness effects it.

    Bonus question: will hiit get you fit quick? I was forcing myself to run for a while and hating every minute of it, until I questioned why I was bothering since I'm not training to be a runner or for a sport, so I've swapped to a hiit style program that involves different exercises - it's hard but I don't loathe it as much as running.

    submitted by /u/FaithInStrangers94
    [link] [comments]

    20 rep sets

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 11:37 PM PDT

    The latest meta-analyses suggest 20 rep sets may stimulate muscle growth the same as lower reps and higher weight. https://www.strongerbyscience.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

    There is a lower bound for but it looks to be at 40 reps or more.

    I'm trying them out. Easier to get the weights in place, less warmup sets needed, and progress still occurs although one has to track subjective reps in reserve because incrementing weight becomes a slower process.

    In 2 months so far I'm enjoying this change of pace. I just wanted to ask if others have done rep ranges over 15 for even longer periods and what results you saw.

    submitted by /u/javascript_dev
    [link] [comments]

    Are thinner workout benches better?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 10:13 AM PDT

    I tried looking online for an answer but it's just riddled with reviews and ads.

    I'm talking about the width of the bench, not the thickness. For example if the bench has less width I feel like I get more range of motion during a press or lift because my shoulder blades aren't blocked by a giant wide horizontal surface.

    Does that effect results?

    I only ever see advertised "wider" benches but not "thinner" benches, but at least how I feel during workout sessions is that if I can have more freedom range it feels like a better workout overall.

    submitted by /u/strobelobe
    [link] [comments]

    Where should I hang my rings?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    I live in the UK, and houses aren't exactly sturdy enough to allow someone to hang from the ceiling.

    I know that I can hang them outdoors, but if there's only trees that can be used, how do I know whether the tree will hold me up?

    submitted by /u/ADK-KND
    [link] [comments]

    RP Male Physique Templates - Am I supposed to be matching reps every week?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    For example, week 1 I got 14,11,9,7 on incline bench. The next week with 5kg and one set added I got 12,10,7,8,8. Should I be matching the first four sets even with the increased weight?

    submitted by /u/DoorBoard
    [link] [comments]

    Preworkout effectiveness

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    Hey guys

    So ive never taken any type of caffeine product/supplement ever and I never drink coffee. Id assume i have no tolerance for caffeine so i tried my first dose of preworkout today (c4) i took like 3/4 of a scoop because i didnt wanna be slammed with the effects. However, i did not seem to feel anything at all in the slightest. Is this normal, id assume even 3/4 of a scoop would have even a little effect but apparently not.

    Thanks

    Edit: could this be some sort of anti placebo? I went into this dose assuming it wouldnt do anything to begin with

    submitted by /u/ryan12900
    [link] [comments]

    Off-day routines that dont hinder muscle growth?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 12:09 AM PDT

    Hey guys.

    Im at around 19-20% body fat (skinny fat) at 140 pounds, 5'7. I have some dumbells at home and have been weight training 3x days a week that hits my full body. Currently, im dieting to lose my body fat.

    I want to do something in my off days that can help burn calories while not hindering my muscle growth. I heard too much cardio can hinder muscle growth/repair, and im afraid of doing compound bodyweight exercises since Im already working my body fully 3x a week with weight training.. so Im looking for alternatives that can burn calories effectively while not hindering my weight training.

    submitted by /u/NovelAries
    [link] [comments]

    Lifesum vs loseit vs fatsecret (UK)

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 11:46 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I used to use MFP but people are starting to go away from that given the acquisition. Does anyone know which are the better alternatives both for the free version and the premium ones?

    Are there ones I haven't considered?

    submitted by /u/b1tchlasagna
    [link] [comments]

    help me with some cardio workout routine

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 11:01 PM PDT

    hey guys!

    i am 17/m i am a bit overweight just above healthy level on bmi scale i am 5'7" i have been weight training for about a year now but i haven't incorporated cardio in my training i have lost some weight but now i feel like i am stuck and can't loose fat. so i have been started to go for 3 km walks since two days and feeling much better.along with this i workout 6 times a week(weight training).

    now my question is what are your guys opinion about this schedule i plan on taking walk everyday and train 6 times a week. what would be your recommendation should i increase my cardio? i was also wondering how much time would it take for my body to adapt to this walks?

    submitted by /u/naimil_49
    [link] [comments]

    How to tailor lifting to slow cut?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 06:38 PM PDT

    So this is my second time cutting. I had a successful cut two years ago but ate it all back due to the stress of senior year of college + not cutting in a sustainable way.

    I have lose 25 lbs since last June so around .5 lbs a week. I'm more than happy with the pace I'm going due to it being more sustainable.

    I am trying to figure out the best routine/ method to tailor my lifting. Lifting is supplementary to BJJ so I'd like to keep it to 2-4 days a week MAX.

    I was thinking strong lifts, but I'm unsure if I should just do 3x5 maintaining my current lifts, or try and progress in weight due to it being a slow cut.

    submitted by /u/stallisfolife
    [link] [comments]

    How do I make workout fun?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 09:51 PM PDT

    I tried weight lifting, I tried Calisthenic, cardio, yoga. None of the exercise is fun. All of them are tedious and feels like a chore to complete. I am sitting on a chair 99% of my day which is already bad enough for my health, which is why I started exercising. Now because of it I am thin, weak and does not have strong muscles. I need to be strong at least as much as an average guy. Hence that's why I am trying to get into shape. I tried setting my routine in evening, afternoon and early morning. No matter when I start workout I am always tired and lethargic to start, it requires a truck load of willpower to workout. I even reduced my exercise sets and reps super low(1 set 10 rep) so that I can build just the habit first. It did not work and I ended up skipping days in between. I even read the books on habit building and watched videos and all of them say the same thing: Cue, routine, reward. Setting up a cue is easy but the routine is borring in itself and it has no reward, I get reward after 4 years. What should I do for reward? Eat sugar? Fine, I did that as well and it still does not work. I feel like an alien. My mind and body does not feel like as if it was even made for exercising. How do I make it fun?

    submitted by /u/sanketvaria29
    [link] [comments]

    Question about GNC's vitapak

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 06:56 PM PDT

    Serious replies only, thanks!

    I've been on a cut for the past few weeks and have been worried that I am not getting enough of the vitamins I need. I recently found the "Vitapak" from GNC and have begun trying it today. The biggest side effect I have noticed so far is the diarrhea. Not a big deal. My biggest concern is if they are worth taking at all. An even bigger question is are they bad for me? From what I read, recent studies seem to suggest that taking your vitamins in pill form may not work as well or even be bad for you in certain cases. I guess I'm also concerned about the effects of long term use on my body. Could my body get used to getting vitamins this way and develop some sort of tolerance? What about only taking the Vitapaks once a week, or a twice a week?

    submitted by /u/lamp817
    [link] [comments]

    Some exercises seem impossible.. and not because I’m out of shape. Help!

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 05:40 PM PDT

    I'm just starting to work out again after a while so I'm sure my inflexible body doesn't help, but I've been following different videos where planking is pretty common.

    Twist planks are genuinely too difficult to do, simply because every time I twist my feet shift my whole body around or my feet slide. I've used shoes and no shoes on hardwood floors, carpet, and a yoga mat. When it comes time for twist planks and those workouts similar I tend to switch to an exercise that works better. And the videos I watch make it look like twist planks are the easiest things in the world.

    Any tips for movements that seem physically impossible?

    TL;DR: I can't do workouts like twist planks because I slide all over the place. Help!!

    submitted by /u/Raynespot
    [link] [comments]

    good Tests to Gauge Overall Fitness?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 12:49 PM PDT

    I've exercised consistently for years, but have found I'm more motivated when I have specific "tests" to try and improve upon.

    This used to be oriented towards competitive athletics, but I haven't really had any specific competitions to prepare for in some time. So I'd like to choose a few tests that would best reflect an overall degree of fitness.

    Some ideas I've had are max(whether 1 rep r 5 rep max) on various lifts such as bench, trap bar deadlift, etc.) ; a 1 mile run for time ; some sort of sprint for time ; maximum # of pullup reps without stopping, etc.

    Just wondered if anyone did anything similar and if so, what recommendations you'd have for "tests" to include to best measure overall fitness.

    submitted by /u/cheapclooney
    [link] [comments]

    How often do you stretch?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 11:14 AM PDT

    I'm looking to increase my flexibility and overall mobility. Is it good to stretch small amounts every day or bigger stretching sessions every other day?

    Ps I have lower back pain due to anterior pelvic tilt and sciatica.

    submitted by /u/B4RT0N
    [link] [comments]

    Kettlebell vs Gymnastics Rings?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 10:51 AM PDT

    Gyms have not yet opened in my country.

    I have been training consistently at home with bodyweight exercises ever since lockdown (I have a Pull-up Bar installed at home).

    So far it has been fine for my upper body (although I don't have a place to do dips).

    Now I want to get another piece of equipment; so, if you could only choose between getting a pair of Gymnastics Rings or a 35lb or so Kettlebell; what would you get?

    Tl;dr - If you already have a pull-up bar; would it be smart to get a Kettlebell or a pair of gymnastics rings next? (if you could only choose 1 for now)

    submitted by /u/karan-k19
    [link] [comments]

    What weight should I try starting out with OHP?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 04:53 PM PDT

    I'm a 145 lb female and want to start working out shoulders. I already work out legs, back, chest. I have a solid posterior chain. Any idea what weight I should start OHP? Do you think I could start at the 45 lb barbell bar? Or what dumbbell weights ohp do you think would handle 45 lb bar?

    submitted by /u/butteryorzo
    [link] [comments]

    Is plant based protein a gains killer?

    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 12:48 PM PDT

    I've recently switched over to a plant based protein without much prior research as a result of allergies to whey. Are there any downsides in relation to building muscle mass - I've been using for two days and seem to be feeling progressively weaker. Almost in a state of "withering away". Some pointers and your personal experiences would be appreciated. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/EhrHD
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment