• Breaking News

    Friday, June 19, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 19, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 19, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 19, 2020

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I've been a couch Potato for most of my life, but now that i'm getting more involved in active hobbies i feel terribly uncoordinated. do you have any advice for developing better coordination later in life?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 03:54 PM PDT

    As the title says, pretty inactive for most of my early life.

    Recently started jiu jitsu and hitting the weights with some friends.

    In jiu jitsu I feel terribly uncoordinated.

    In the gym, my friends mentioned the bar path in a lot of my exercises is whack. Do you guys have any advice for getting more coordinated later in life?

    submitted by /u/BigManager
    [link] [comments]

    My Fitness Odyssey: 2008-2020 (38-51yo(M))

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 04:02 AM PDT

    Progress Pic

    • 2008, age 39 - fat, but tanned
    • 2009, age 40 - still fat, but pasty
    • 2012, age 43 - began running
    • 2016, age 47 - been working out, but weak. Still running
    • 2018, age 49 - after 3 cycles of Building the Monolith + lots of cardio, + endurance challenges. A bit stronger.
    • 2020, age 51 - after a year of doing a Murph a week, and midway through Average to Savage 2. Still running. A bit more strong: 5x190kg deads and 1x240kg Farmers Lift. Currently bw of 81kg/180lbs

    I've worked hard, and I've worked consistently over the last 5 years.

    No HRT or steroinks.

    submitted by /u/bobeschism
    [link] [comments]

    Cut from around 24 % body fat to 16-17% over 3.5 months. Beginning to feel very lethargic. What now?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 03:53 AM PDT

    Howdy.

    As the title says I (26/Male/5'7/140lbs) have been cutting for a good 3 and a half months on around a 300-500 kcal deficit, mainly lifting heavy 4 times a week with the odd steady state cardio on off days. I'm now beginning to feel incredibly sluggish and tired and the fat loss has slowed down dramatically.

    I was wondering whether returning to maintenance for a while would be a good idea to help my energy levels and shake up my hormones/metabolism etc as my current caloric intake (1780kcal) is starting to feel oppressive.

    Any insight on to what to do now would be greatly appreciated!

    Happy to answer any questions you may have.

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/PM-ME-DOGS-IN-SOCKS
    [link] [comments]

    Will the Palloff press build the abdominal muscles?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 03:10 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    Sorry for the potentially stupid question, I'm new to all this and I couldn't find an answer to this anywhere.

    I Just wanted to know if the Palloff Press (in the form of bands) is a viable option when building abs. I do 3 sets of 20, both sides. I pull it so it works my whole body fairly intensely. I would switch it up with other core exercises too.

    Also I feel it working my arms a lot, and while that most likely means my arms are currently weak, will it build muscle there too?

    I'm aware there are probably much better options in terms of building abs but unfortunately a gym is out of question at the moment, so if you have any tips or advice feel free to let me know.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/BurgerKing_
    [link] [comments]

    Physique Phriday

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Physique Phriday thread

    What's the point of having people guess your body fat? Nevermind that it's the most inaccurate method available, (read: most likely way wrong - see here) you're still just putting an arbitrary number to the body you have. Despite people's claim that they are shooting for a number, they're really shooting for look - like a six pack.

    So let's stopping mucking around with trivialities and get to the heart of the matter. This thread shall serve two purposes:

    1. Physique critiques. Post some pics and ask about muscles or body parts you need to work on. Or specifically ask about a lagging body part and what exercises worked for others.
    2. An outlet for people that want to show off their efforts that would otherwise be removed due to Rule 4, and

    Let's keep things civil, don't be a creep, and adhere to Rule 1. This isn't a thread to announce what you find attractive in a mate. Please use the report function for any comments that are out of line.

    So phittit, what's your physique pheel like this phriday?

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner Full Body Workout: Need a couple of questions before I start injuring myself...

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 01:49 PM PDT

    Hey there. I'm new to Fitness. For the past 2 months I've been cutting weight (yes, even muscles), and eating way less than the recommended deficit (500-1000) than I should be. It made my life horrible so now, I'm gonna try a clean cut and try to retain as much muscle as possible while trying to abuse that sweet, sweet noob gains.

    I found this as a good start for a beginner like me, and this is what I picked, since gyms are closed and I can do this at home with my dumbbells. But before I officially do it in July, I'd like to ask some questions regarding the program:

    1. The program doesn't have anything to say about resting time between sets. How long is a good, but efficient, resting time?

    2. I noticed that some of the sets have more reps than the previous rep (E.g. Dumbbell Bench Press 4 sets of 12, 10, 10, and 8). According to the comments of the program, this should mean that you're working on a lighter weight on the 12, and then add more weight for the 10, and even more on the 8. But the thing is, I only have 1 set of dumbbells. Would it be okay for me to modify it and do volumes instead? Say I'll do 4x12 instead?

    3. Again, as much as I want to retain some muscles, I'd also like to lose some fat as fast as possible. I can follow a strict diet, so eating in a deficit is no problem for me. Would it be alright for me to make the rest day an active rest day and do cardio? I've heard of cardio killing your gains but I'm not so sure.

    Thanks in advance to those who are gonna answer my noob questions.

    submitted by /u/Kapparino1104
    [link] [comments]

    Pathetic results over 9 years of training

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 03:09 AM PDT

    Being real with the title. I started training when I was 19 and now I'm 28. To give you an idea of my strength level; I haven't done AMRAPs for a while but these are my bests sets at 3 reps a few weeks ago, where the last set is RPE 9 or 10:

    • Squat: 4 sets of 3 at 125kg (~275lbs)
    • Bench: 4 sets of 3 at 77.5kg (~170lbs)
    • Deadlift: 4 sets of 3 at 155kg (~341lbs)
    • OHP: 3 sets of 3 at 55kg (~120lbs)

    I'm male, 180cm (~5'11), 75kg (~165lbs).

    Many people get to this strength level in months or maybe a year. I haven't even reached 1/2/3/4 yet. I'm very weak especially on the bench. Eating a lot is hard and I usually gain a lot of fat when I up my weight, at least I feel like I do.

    In my defence, I started at a bodyweight of 53kg (~115lbs), or less. I had anorexia. I also have slight scoliosis. I've had shoulder issues on the bench and knee and back issues on squat and deadlift, I've had a couple of injuries. I have a very narrow frame. I wonder if I fucked myself up having anorexia in my growth years (14-19). I have successfully trained myself from sickly thin to okayishly kinda fit shape. I'm not that ashamed of my body but obviously I'd like better results.

    I have always trained with motivation. I love working out, for years I was a NEET and it was the only thing I did. In 9 years I can count skipped days on one hand. Over the years I've trained between 5 and 12 hours a week. At one point I was going crazy with 2h full body workouts 6 days a week. But most of the time I've done smarter programs such as PHUL, PPL, PHAT, Jacked & Tan (GZCL) and Nsuns programs.

    Currently I'm doing Advanced Bodybuilding Sample program from Eric Helm's The Muscle & Strength Pyramid Training, which is basically a 6 day upper lower split (ULULUL) with about 14-20 hard sets per muscle group per week, except that I've been doing it 5 days a week removing one of the leg days (the light leg day). I've been doing this for 5 months now.

    I've trained upper body 3 times a week for a couple of years. I can manage a small PR maybe once a year, which is horrible. Leg strength has developed faster training legs just twice a week, even with knee injury that stopped me from squatting for a year. Right now, I've been super tired for a few weeks despite deloading every 5 or 10 weeks. I've lost a couple of kilos of weight, down to 73kg. My upper body strength is down, for example I went from doing 3 sets of 3 at 55kg in the OHP to 50kg being my 3RM or 4RM. It always goes down super fast even with the slightest weight loss.


    I'm slightly depressed and I'm asking for ideas or guidance where to go from here.

    Should I try training upper body less given that lower body has progressed faster with less training, or should I try to eat like a motherfucker to recover from the current upper body training amount? It takes me 4k calories a day to maintain 75kg and it's very difficult amount for me. Maybe it'd be easier to eat enough when I don't have to recover from so much.

    Should I try a more minimalistic approach? Maybe this is just all I get and I should focus more on other things.

    /u/mythicalstrenght's recent post (https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/h9ewhw/how_to_train_while_gaininglose_weight_why_lean/) is motivating. Should I try eating like that and switching to one of the programs he recommends?

    EDIT: My goal is mainly aesthetics. I use my lifts here to describe myself because I don't want to post pics of my body. You know no one is big at my strength level.

    submitted by /u/WinterCinder
    [link] [comments]

    Started getting into the old fitness during lockdown, and I'm happy with my progress so far, but what excericses can I do to strenghten and thicken my wrists?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 05:26 AM PDT

    I've always been very skinny, but through weights etc im getting a little bit bigger on my arms and chest, but I can still wrap my pinky and thumb around my whole wrist easily. There's lots of stuff online, but I'm not sure which advice to follow and which pages/ videos an so on are worth looking at for workout related stuff.

    Appreciate any help, cheers.

    submitted by /u/MeNombreBotBeepBooop
    [link] [comments]

    Slimming down my upper body

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 04:39 AM PDT

    It's my first time posting here! :)

    Me [21/female/5'6/155lbs]

    Background: been doing fitness since I was 15, wasn't really lifting serious in the beginning but got better over time, improved my forms, diet, tried different kind of work outs etc. Then joined a powerlifting gym and got into that when I was around 19, did a few competitions till the beginning of this year (so I did it for around 2 years). I quit because of other priorities, then quarantine came and I quit working out completely.

    Now my body and especially my back, shoulders and just my upper body in general grew immensely over time because of the powerlifting I imagine (okay I probably exaggerated lmao, but imo it just got super big). I want to get rid of that. It makes me a bit insecure because I feel like it makes me look super masculine and bulky and that's not the look I desire to have. My legs and butt got big too but I don't mind that. It's just my upper body that bothers me.

    So I quit powerlifting and working out my upper body for a few months already and focused more on lower body (although now that I think of it I've actually done a few upper body workouts but not on a regular base and not super heavy).

    I was wondering what else I could do to reduce my upper body and how long would such thing take? I feel like I just need to lose some weight. I'm on this weight [155lbs-165lbs] for some time already. I wonder what would be a good weight for me. I was thinking about 145lbs. Lately I've been actively trying to lose weight, also I'm doing more cardio, HIIT workouts, body weight work outs and I only train lower body, also yoga and I'm working on my flexibility a lot. Would this help me slimming down my back?

    All tips and ideas are welcome, thank you!! :)

    submitted by /u/kuelapiss
    [link] [comments]

    Flabby arms since I started working out?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 04:38 AM PDT

    Hey,

    I have little to no knowledge of fitness, and trying to start a long-term weight loss journey.

    I'm down 20 pounds already over the past few months, which including two workouts a day and eating a lot healthier. Most of my workouts are cardio, however, I do include push-ups to help with my arms as well.

    Lately, I've noticed that my arms are a lot flabbier than usual, there seems to be more fat under my shoulder-area, is this normal? Even though i'm down 20 pounds, I feel like more fat is around my arms.

    submitted by /u/kylevonnie
    [link] [comments]

    Does weight gain stabilize after the first weeks of bulking?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 04:06 AM PDT

    In only 5 days I have gained a pound and a half. I hear it is only 1 pound per week that is acceptable when bulking. But I still don't think I'm eating that many calories. Could this be my system adjusting or perhaps I'm getting newbie gains so it's faster?

    submitted by /u/cametovisit
    [link] [comments]

    Too much bicep pump??

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    I have this " problem" of when doing bicep curls with a barbell, my biceps and forearms get super pumped to the point to where it feels like if i do more curls theyre gonna " pop" or "blow up" does that mean they are just getting tired or is there such thing as pump limiting your muscle movement/ability..

    submitted by /u/Pucks18
    [link] [comments]

    Difference between not eating enough vs working too hard.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    I've been exhausted this week and I cant tell if it's because I'm not eating enough or if I've been working too hard. How can you tell the difference?

    submitted by /u/2005FordFocusSE
    [link] [comments]

    Not being able to see a significant difference of muscle on your body when bulking

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 05:37 PM PDT

    I've been bulking for a few months now and I'm nearing the end of my bulk. And I can't really tell that I've put on muscle, but I just look bigger. I know I have put on muscle because I can lift weights that I couldn't even think about trying when I first started. So I'm just wondering if it's normal to not see the muscle you put on when bulking.

    submitted by /u/kyxeq
    [link] [comments]

    Good 10-minute workouts that I can do in between work breaks

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 03:44 PM PDT

    I have a ton of free time now that I work from home and I've decided it's about time I channel the energy I spend on my downtime from sitting on my chair to working out. I just hit 300 lbs and I've never been this heavy in my life (I'm a 24 year old male about 5 foot 11 inches) and it looks like I will be working from home for about another 6 months. I have a long way to go but I want to get back to my 190lb self again.

    I'm wondering what kind of lower body and upper body as well as total body workouts I can dish out in 10 minute intervals (I will be taking 10 minute workout breaks every hour) to help burn calories and fat and help build muscle/ tone. Exercises where I'm not jumping all over the place are a must because I live on the top floor of the apartment complex I'm in and I don't want to bug my downstairs neighbors with all the jumping.

    Aside from that I also plan on going on a 2 mile run each day after my shift and I already have the diet part taken care of for the most part but if ya'll have any food or drink recommendations I'd be happy to hear you out.

    I know I'm heavy and I'm scared of ending up with stretchy skin so any advice on workouts I can do to mitigate that/ prevent that would be helpful. I can probably accommodate a small part of my apartment to a small set of weights as well but nothing close to a total gym.

    Thanks so much!!!

    submitted by /u/ykd96
    [link] [comments]

    Beginners question: when to take a pause?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 12:16 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I hope y'all are well.

    I am a beginner and a very untrained person, who has recently started to work out in order to lose weight and get fitter. Due to circumstances I am working out from home with a plank app and Ring Fit. I've been working out for about a month and my current plan is 4 days workout, 1 day pause.

    Recently I've noticed that working out is becoming much harder: I couldn't handle the planks anymore and had to restart the plank course several times. I am not quite sure why is that and what I am doing wrong. Could you help me?

    I am happy to provide additional information in case you need it.

    submitted by /u/HandsomeJill
    [link] [comments]

    um help?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2020 02:36 AM PDT

    Is it okay for me to lose even more weight if I'm already underweight?I'm skinny but my thighs are fat,not like really fat tho,but just stubborn fat that won't go away no matter how skinny I get,how flat my stomach gets until my waist bones show,my thigh fat is still there and it's annoying.Maybe bcs of genetics.

    I'm already considered underweight being 160cm female,15 y.o,42.6kg,and my BMI is 16.6

    Why is it that I'm skinny and like "fat" at the same time?

    submitted by /u/poiuytre7
    [link] [comments]

    Adding more workout days?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 11:09 PM PDT

    Currently I work out Monday-Friday ~2 hours a day, and run about 4-6 times a week on various days (working down after doing daily for ~3 months) and I also do a ~20min ab workout nightly.

    I workout with my family and they are not as motivated to workout as I am. My dad specifically will not work out on the weekends. I feel as though I should start my full workouts 7 days a week.

    Is moving up to 7 days a week working out too dangerous? I'm 15 so I feel the risk of injury is probably lower.

    submitted by /u/EntireDay6
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment