• Breaking News

    Wednesday, May 27, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Routine Campfire - Fierce 5 Dumbbell Variant

    Beginner Fitness: Routine Campfire - Fierce 5 Dumbbell Variant


    Routine Campfire - Fierce 5 Dumbbell Variant

    Posted: 26 May 2020 11:46 AM PDT

    Welcome to the next r/Fitness Campfire series - Routine Campfires! You can read the original announcement thread along with the future schedule here.


    This week's topic: Fierce 5 Dumbbell Variant

    Ask questions you have about this routine in this thread, and the community will help you get an answer.


    Here are the rules for Routine Campfires:

    • Routine Campfires are for asking specific questions about a specific routine and getting answers from the community.
    • Top level comments must be a specific question about the topic routine. Questions which are excessively vague to a point of being difficult to answer directly will not be permitted. Comments should not be used for general chit-chat, just for asking and answering questions.
    • Routine Campfires are not for routine critique requests of any kind. This includes but is not limited to: tweaks, lift replacements, accessory choices. All such questions should be directed to the Daily Thread exactly as any normal routine critique would be.
    • Replies to questions should be either an answer to the question, or asking the poster for information necessary to better answer the question.
    • Comments which in any way support or encourage piracy of a routine or its material will be removed and posters who make them banned permanently.
    • Comments should be civil and serious. Jokes, memes, and rudeness will not be permitted.
    • If the answer to a question can be found in an existing page about the routine, please be sure to include a link to the page.
    • Please check the thread to see if your question has been asked prior to posting.

    Comments which break these rules will be removed and posters given bans at the discretion of the moderators. Remember when you participate that the purpose of these threads is to develop community resources for those who come to r/Fitness for help in the future.

    submitted by /u/purplespengler
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 27, 2020

    Posted: 27 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I just don't get what I'm doing wrong

    Posted: 26 May 2020 11:55 PM PDT

    I'm a 17 year old male, and I've been lifting weights for about a year now with the intent of gaining muscle. At the beginning, I did do many things wrong that I can easily identify--like eating way under my TDEE--but I've tried to fix these mistakes. I honestly can't see where I'm going wrong; I consistently train 4 to 5 times a week (preferably 5), I have a structured workout routine (PPL), I eat enough to have gained weight (especially in the last few months), and I ensure that I sleep enough. Of course there are many other things that the wiki and most gym-goers suggest, like enough protein among other things. And I make sure to take heed the advice--I honestly think that I've covered most, if not all, of my bases.

    But, I just can't see much muscular progression, both physically or with the weights im lifting. It seems as if all I'm gaining is fat. My body started making some of those "noob gains," but then it just stopped like 6 months ago. My weight is going up slowly, but it seems as if none of it is muscle. My body actually looks worse than it did a few months ago, and I have no clue why. With some muscle groups, like my shoulders, I've been able to increase how much I lift. But, my shoulders don't look any bigger. The only difference I can see in them is that there are a few more visible striations when I flex. With other groups, such as my back and my chest, it honestly feels like im spinning my wheels. Anytime I try to push higher weight in bench press, I just can't lift it. No matter how hard I try. Any time I do achieve a few more reps than I did in a previous workout, it translates to less reps in subsequent sets. And then I still can't increase the weight over time. I've heard people say that it must mean you're not trying hard enough, but I honestly don't know how can I try any harder than to failure. The same applies to my back. With exercises like a barbell row, anytime I try to increase the weight (and I'm literally only lifting like 75 lbs right now for 10 reps) my form degrades so much. And, in the times when I've tried to see how sticking with a degraded form but a higher weight did for me, when I tried to do the weight that I previously had been doing then I literally do less reps and am not able to hit the same numbers I hit before. And, some workouts, I'm not able to hit 75 lbs for 10 reps so I drop the weight down to 70 lbs.

    My chest for some reason looks smaller now, and when I look at pics from me flexing my back it seems as if my back is less muscular now. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. I see so many people who commit to this and see great, or even just decent, results. And I can say with certainty that I've invested myself into this more than I ever expected I would. But the results just aren't coming. The "ear more, sleep more, lift" just doesn't work for me. Does anyone know what I can do?

    For reference, I'm 145 lbs and 5 ft 9 in. I've maximum added a few pounds to most of my exercises over the span of months. I can only bench 105, I squat 135, I row 75.

    Edit: here is what my physique looks like; the first is about 6 months ago, the second is now https://imgur.com/a/QVSbhOr

    submitted by /u/Kahootsux
    [link] [comments]

    Rant Wednesday

    Posted: 27 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Rant Wednesday: It's your time to let your gym/fitness/nutrition related frustrations out!

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is it completely normal to feel absolutely shit after working out for the first time?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 03:57 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    Simple question: I'm 202lbs, 6ft, male, not fat but chubby. I'm luckily built rather strong, my dad was built like a brick. Never worked out in my life, and tried to get into a routine around 4 days ago. I tried, at least. I'm in my mid 20s and already lost all hope. I feel highly insecure about my body. I know there are people who have hundreds of pounds more, I shouldn't be so selfish, but still.. I'm insecure about it, and want to change it. Better now than never, it's already kinda late to begin with.

    I can't afford a gym membership because I'm poor as hell, so all that's left is the oldschool way with bodyweight and some old dumbbells I had lying around from past sad attempts of trying to get at least in some way fit. I did some pushups, sit ups, dumbbell sets, stupidly simple beginner things, you know. We all have to start somewhere.

    Now the "workout" day was amazing. It hurt but I felt so good afterwards. First day afterwards I had T-Rex arms and couldn't even walk straight because of the pain everywhere. Second day still the same thing, third day it got better, and now is the 4th day and I could do some pushups (way less than before) again, dumbbell exercises, but not one situp. Seriously, it hurts bad. I just tried, and my "abdominal muscles" just hurt like hell as soon as I try to do them. Pushups are okay again, but it went from 16 pushups on the first day to 8 before my arms gave up.

    Did I fuck up, or is this normal? I surely didn't do them in perfect form, but I tried my best. I don't wanna lose that.. trail, if you understand it. Like a shark who got that whiff of blood. Yeah no that sounds kinda edgy, but you get me. I just don't wanna lose hope after enjoying the first day so much, just because everything hurts and I can't even do half of what I could do on the first day.

    Can some experienced people tell me if this is just how it is? Do I really have to recover so much after such a simple workout, because I never worked out before? Is it normal that I feel "weaker" in the second workout than in the first? I couldn't find a good answer on Google, so I wanna ask myself.

    And just as a side-note: I finally ordered some sweatpants because I want to get into jogging / running / both mixed up, will this help with my general health and muscle growth?

    submitted by /u/SexualStallion
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to workout with only a single pair of dumbbells?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 12:11 AM PDT

    I was finally able to get my hands on a pair of 15lb dumbbells without getting price gouged. 15lbs is around where I was at before shelter in place. Did a full body workout yesterday which consisted of:

    • Curls 4x10

    • Floor Press 4x10

    • Squats 4x10

    • Shoulder Press 4x10.

    I'm still researching workouts and did the above just to get into the rhythm again. Feel free to suggest ideas! But yeah I'm concerned about progression being an issue. From my knowledge, I know progression is usually upping the weight every week. But without a gym and without the budget to purchase an entire dumbbell set, I'm worried about hitting a dead end. FYI, main goal is to lose weight/cut so I'm not expecting to level up too fast on the weights. I'm also potentially eyeing resistance bands and a jump rope (for cardio, currently walking) in the future.

    I was wondering if you guys had any tips?

    submitted by /u/SilverSquare
    [link] [comments]

    Question about weight structure for reps

    Posted: 26 May 2020 09:54 PM PDT

    So, whenever I work out doing something with weights I will finish my main workout, and then go back through and do some higher rep counts with lower weights for everything I did the first time around, and I was wondering if this is actually beneficial at all?

    An example is that for arm day I will do 9x4 curls at 50 pounds right now, and then after I finish everything I will go back through and do 12x2 but at 45 pounds. I do this for every exercise I perform and was wondering if I'm getting real benefit from it or just wasting time.

    submitted by /u/Just4TehLulz
    [link] [comments]

    Pre workout gone wrong

    Posted: 27 May 2020 03:47 AM PDT

    I got some new pre workout yesterday, it's called Tanked Fury.

    It's got 125MG of caffeine in each scoop, one recommended. I went for 2 and a half scoops, as it said 3 was the very msx after testing tolerance. I of course did not do this like an idiot, and being in the UK gyms have been closed and I've only just set up my home gym so this is the first time touching it in a while. I took this at about 4:00PM.

    I had the best arm workout ever, great pumps etc. Afterwards I laid in the sun drinking water, but after felt very jittery, right chest, not good. I showered and ate a big meal of eggs, toast, wheetabix, and some chocolates to try sort me out as I felt so hungry, as well as downing water. I was in a jittery mess. I went and did my shopping and left the Windows right down in the car to try chill it out of me. After the shopping I played Warzone for a bit where I did really well, jittery of course so I was quick. Then I went to bed at about 11PM where I could not sleep. I was awake frustrated until 1:30-2AM. I was in a mess, very flustered and hot.

    I've woke up this morning at 7 and started work, I feel very dirty, run down, and not very well at all. I almost feel like I've done drugs. Had some water and going to have a meal to try sort me out. Any tips on what I can do other than drinking water? I finish at 3:00PM, so in 3 hours ish, I've got my lunch break soon too. I'm gonna try sleep at 3:00 if I can also. It's been a horrible experience really, has anyone ever tried Tanked before? £10 for 50 servings if very cheap...

    submitted by /u/ZS-SAL
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to find a sustainable diet to go along with sustainable fitness.

    Posted: 26 May 2020 09:43 PM PDT

    So, I'm a very all-or-nothing type of person. When I get into diet/fitness, I got hard for like 3 months, and then lose steam. I either do P90X, or some form of crossfit, coupled with paleo, or keto, or some other extreme form of dieting.

    Well, I realize all of that is no good if I can't keep it up long-term. So I'm trying to do more sustainable workouts (i.e. 30 minutes/day, 5 days/week, nothing soul-crushing). But I'm so used to taking the extreme route in diet, that I'm not sure how to eat in a way I can keep up long-term. I've had good success with paleo/keto, but I always hit a point where I'm like, "I gotta have pizza and candy now," and then I just kinda bonk.

    Any advice on coming up with healthy eating habits I can keep up for the long haul?

    submitted by /u/ApologeticKid
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else have an extremely stubborn place on the body where all the fat seems to accumulate?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 03:10 AM PDT

    I have this huge problem, where all the fat goes to my glutes region when I eat too many carbs or when I'm in a caloric surplus. Every time I up my calories a bit which is required for muscle growth, all the fat goes to my glutes... not the quads or the hamstrings. It's extremely annoying. It doesn't help that I was chubby as a kid so there is some cellulite there too. It just pisses you off when you grab that chunk of fat and wish it wasn't there. I have to diet like crazy to get rid of it. I've managed to do that a couple of times and while I did get rid of the fat, it all came right back when I went on my lean bulk again... It seems as if I can't win no matter what I do. You're always reminded of that chunk of fat, whether you are eating your oatmeal in the morning, going to the store or lying down to sleep at night. I've been super cautious with nutrition and training ever since the gyms closed and there have been days where I ate a lot of brown rice with my protein source some hours before bed, I just wake up the next day feeling like absolute shit!

    Does any of this sound familiar? Should I just bulk on a split that's high protein, high fat and low carbs? I definitely need them to fuel my workouts, but would cutting them out the rest of the day be conducive? I know it's all about calories in vs out, but I'm very insulin resistant it seems.. and mind you, this is while eating the leanest sources of carbs there is. Refined sugar would have me obese in no time :P

    submitted by /u/brighthazard
    [link] [comments]

    I have zero core strength... Where do I begin?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 02:42 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I'm a 28 year old female. I have reasonably strong arms and legs but absolutely no core strength.

    I can hold a plank for 30 seconds but I don't think I'm doing them correctly because they hurt my lower back (I could hold them for longer but have to stop because it hurts my back so much). I've tried dead bugs, leg lifts, and hollow holds but I find it absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to keep my lower back flat on the ground, it arches as soon as I move my legs.

    I also have no idea how to 'engage' my core so many core strength excersie instructions say to 'engage your core' but they may as well say 'engage your nose'... I just can't engage it like I can with other muscles.

    What should I do?

    submitted by /u/JumbledPileOfPerson
    [link] [comments]

    Ab workout

    Posted: 27 May 2020 02:29 AM PDT

    I've been training for a few months now and things have got easier, so I made a new programme. It consists of three sets of 12 different exercises (12 reps each) three times a week.I was just wondering if that would be overkill, as I don't want to overtrain but also dont want to miss out on some exercises.

    submitted by /u/flying_biscuit_tin
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice or even just your opinions on my idea

    Posted: 27 May 2020 12:30 AM PDT

    I was thinking of trying to have a balance with both endurance and strength, so I've started doing endurance exercises in the morning (high rep, low weight) and strength training in the evening (low rep, high weight). And I'm wondering if this is advisable. Thank you in advance :)

    submitted by /u/Bilzeebob
    [link] [comments]

    Do these 4 ab workouts target all the core muscles?

    Posted: 26 May 2020 10:12 PM PDT

    I am starting to get into lifting after a long break so am out of shape. Wanted to start with abdominal workouts to strengthen my core. Are these 4 ab workouts sufficient to target all the core muscles, or should I add some?

    - Bicycles

    - Crunches

    - Planks

    - Bird Dogs

    submitted by /u/ChronoPsyche
    [link] [comments]

    Should I continue training or take a break?

    Posted: 26 May 2020 09:38 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, this is a bit long so my bad in advance. I'm a 22 year old male and I'm not sure if my shoulder/rotator cuff muscles are pretty undeveloped, or something more serious. To give a little back story, I never really worked out or did any sports whatsoever until about 2 years ago when I started working out with a personal trainer. During that time my trainer had me focus on mostly body weight calisthenics type movements with weights every now and then but no benching, OHP, or really any of the main lifts besides deadlifts and squats on occasion. I gained a good amount of strength and fat loss through exercises like pull ups, dips, push ups, sit ups, and olympic ring exercises. Then some things came up, I had to work out somewhere else, started working out in a mostly circuit type training with dumbbells and some body weight stuff but as much as I had been doing. And then I stopped training for about 8 months.

    Starting in January of this year, I built a home gym set up to start training from home by myself. I started doing more of the main lifts such as bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, DL, squats, etc. After a few months doing that I noticed a sharp nagging pain around my shoulder blades(mostly the left side) when doing any overhead movements so I stopped bench pressing and instead started doing dumbbell floor presses, stopped pull ups and switched to ring inverted rows, switched barbell rows for seal rows, and made other substitutions for the main lifts due to my shoulder pain. Well I tried overhead pressing again recently for the first time in months and noticed the same sharp pain around the shoulder blade area.

    Up until trying to overhead press again I didn't really have any pain whatsoever, so I'm wondering, would it just be best to continue doing substituted exercises in the meantime and try and work on strengthening the area around the shoulder blade/rotator cuff with some kind of therapy exercises? Or maybe take a break from upper body movements all together for awhile while still doing lower body, and just try to strengthen the shoulders/rotator cuffs?

    submitted by /u/rubgomez97
    [link] [comments]

    Science-based workout ?

    Posted: 26 May 2020 11:52 PM PDT

    Good morning.

    Looking for best exercices from Science-based, I probably won't have much time (baby is coming to this world soon), but I still want to train with best routine without extra- less effective exercices while baby sleep. I do Running/Trailrunning preparation, not looking for Mass more for Strengh. I'm 63-65KG, 170cm.

    - 3 or 4+x most effective exercices for each muscular groups, hit all muscles

    - 2 or 3x most effective exercices for isolated muscles

    - Checkout imbalanced/weaked/neglected muscles

    I do not have tons of crazy knowledge into 'Fitness/Musculation' workout, and I'm afraid to get lost around tons of Youtube channel...

    Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/SebastianHike
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 24, 2020

    Posted: 24 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment