• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 7, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 07, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 07, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 07, 2020

    Posted: 07 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Feel Like Death the Next Day After Workout

    Posted: 06 May 2020 02:13 PM PDT

    Hello all!

    I'm 30, very fit, workout 5-6 times a week. I alternate upper buddy weight training, running 4-5 miles, leg day, rest day. 200 lbs. Bulky muscular build.

    I've been getting 8 hours a sleep a night, but In the last few months I've felt like DEATH when I wake up after a workout.

    Best I can describe it is it feels like someone beat me up by kicking every square inch of my body. I feel extremely tired and it's insanely hard to get out of bed.

    Why do I feel this way? It's not DOMS because I've worked out for years. Is this just an aging thing? I never felt like this before, but I am entering my 30s. Is this normal to feel worse after a workout as you get older?

    Thanks!

    *EDIT**

    Thank you all for your suggestions. This thing exploded! I'm going to get some blood work done and take a week off and see if that helps. I guess 30 isn't that old yet haha.

    submitted by /u/bedpost9000
    [link] [comments]

    I started to do cardio. How should I go about it?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 03:59 AM PDT

    Since I'm really tired of feeling mentally weak sometimes, I decided to change my life for the better. I'm suffering of a little bit of depression lately and I believe exercise is one of the best things I can do.

    I'm using the app Couch to 5K, but it tells me to do 3 days per week only. I'd like to do cardio every day to be honest, and maybe take a day off when I feel burned out.

    Any advice on which type of program I should follow? If you also have better apps that I might use, that'd be great as well. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Kayters
    [link] [comments]

    Issue with wide hips and core workouts

    Posted: 07 May 2020 12:07 AM PDT

    So I'm a guy and I've always had big legs which is a plus but I also got very wide hips to go along with that. To the point that I have an hourglass shape that I absolutely can't stand. Are there any core exercises or muscle groups I could work on to turn that into a V rather than my current situation? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Madvatic
    [link] [comments]

    Is working out 20 mins a day enough?

    Posted: 06 May 2020 11:59 PM PDT

    I'm an avid gym goer and usually go for 1.5 hours a day, however, I have really been struggling since my gym closed, I hate working out at home there are too many distractions.

    I've been trying and slacking, I've found my sweet spot is around 20 mins.

    Would this be enough to maintain/build muscle?

    I'm thinking of doing a 7 day split and very intense with 15 secs rest and no days off such as: Biceps Chest Triceps Back Legs Abbs Shoulders

    Or would I be better hitting 2 muscle groups for 10 min each so I can work each muscle twice a week? Or even a 20 min full body?

    Also I'm doing boxing with a friend twice a week for 1.5 hours so still getting some cardio!

    These are tough times my friends.

    submitted by /u/Glubbbb
    [link] [comments]

    Progression when every training session is at your new max?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 05:54 AM PDT

    New lifter looking for advice.

    With any linear progression program, eventually you get to the point where every training session is at a new PR.

    Suppose I just hit a 225 5x5 squat for the first time in my life. Then the next time I go to the gym, I'm supposed to hit 230 5x5 and that's exhausting, not to mention mentally intimidating.

    I've reached a point where I'm not confident with the weight on my back anymore, and I think form is suffering on the last few sets. Starting to worry that anything could affect my success the next day- a bad nights sleep, a cheat meal, work anxiety.

    Any advice for powering through?

    submitted by /u/attackfortwo
    [link] [comments]

    Spread 3-4 day program out to 6 days? (Nuckols' 28 Free Programs)

    Posted: 07 May 2020 05:51 AM PDT

    For those of you not familiar, Nuckols' 28 Free Programs is a set of lift-specific programs that you can combine together. E.g., you can combine the 3xWeek Intermediate Bench program with the 2xWeek Intermediate Squat and 1xWeek Intermediate Deadlift. There are also beginner and advanced versions, and different weekly frequencies.

    Thing is, in his attached pdf Nuckols when talking about combining programs his suggested combinations are all 3 or 4 day routines - e.g Monday Bench day 1 and Squat day 1, Wednesday Bench day 2 and Deadlift day 1, Friday Bench day 3 and Squat day 2.

    I have a strong preference for 6 day routines, because I like the regularity and the shorter workouts. So far as I can tell, I'm the pdf Nuckols doesn't address this. Does anybody know of any reason this would be a bad idea?

    E.G. Monday Bench 1, Tuesday Squat 1, Wednesday Bench 2, Thursday Deadlift 1, Friday Bench 3, Saturday Squat 2.

    submitted by /u/Carett
    [link] [comments]

    Morning Accountability Groups

    Posted: 07 May 2020 05:20 AM PDT

    Hello! I recently drank the kool aid and joined BeachBody. I really do like the workouts, and it's helpful for me as a beginner to have a solid program and training guide. My BeachBody group holds morning accountability zoom calls because we have all committed to getting up at 6 AM and getting our workouts in first thing. I have a kid, though, who usually gets up at 6:15! I love having other people hold me accountable for waking up early, but I want to get up even earlier and have a call around 5:15-5:30. Does anybody know of any other accountability groups, or want to start one of our own? I am NOT trying to sign you up for BeachBody and I have zero intention of ever becoming a coach.

    submitted by /u/thiccvegan_
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get myself back into fitness?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 05:10 AM PDT

    First time posting here so apologies if I'm missing any rules/information in regards to these kind of posts.

    Started working out at 15 years old. By 18 I had a good physique where you could tell I worked out. As I got into my early 20s I met a girl, had a full time job, we had children, got a house, and now I'm slowly closing in on 30 years old. Haven't worked out in like 10 years and pretty miserable that I was stronger and in better shape as an 18 year old than I am now in my late 20s. Would like to get back in shape so I am more motivated to do outdoor activities with my children and feel healthier overall. I've tried every now and again over the years to get back into a routine with fitness but I always give up within the first few days. I think my main issue is I focus too hard on what I used to be capable of so when I start doing pull ups I'm immediately demotivated when I struggle to get 2 or 3 reps out. Guess I'm looking for advice on someone who maybe went through the same thing. It feels like I'll never get back to where I was or even past it. I'm not expecting a transformation in a week. I'd just like some words that help me realise it is possible and maybe some things I can do to fall in love with fitness again. I feel like an experienced weightlifter working out in the body of a complete beginner and don't know where to start as if I was 15 again. Thanks to anybody who takes the time to give me some advice.

    submitted by /u/zR6efyKqN7if
    [link] [comments]

    Could someone recommend me good workouts on YouTube?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 01:25 AM PDT

    So far I've only tried the Chloe Ting ones but I'm not sure how effective they are. I'm a beginner so I'd prefer something that's not too strenuous but engages me throughout. I also wanted to know if any fitness apps have good routines too. I'm pretty clueless so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/existential_overkill
    [link] [comments]

    When sprinting should we be alternating which leg starts forward from the down position?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 12:31 AM PDT

    Since I am not sprinting to compete. I was wondering if it would be best to alternate which leg I start with forward. Since I really explode off of it to start my sprints I assume one leg is getting a much stronger workout than the other. Should I be alternating legs?

    submitted by /u/jimbosparks91
    [link] [comments]

    Teen needs nutritional/medical advice.

    Posted: 06 May 2020 11:51 PM PDT

    Hi. I am 16, Male, 179cm (5'10"), 66kg (145 lbs). I have been doing calisthenics strenght training for about an year and really enjoyed it. I was very excited of the thought about all the skills and cool movents which the calisthenics art offers. So searching the right routine for me I heard for the Reddit Recommended Routine. I started the RR and did it for about 10 weeks. It was great in the begging but after all I got bored and decided to switch to a split routine. And eventually somewhere around that moment I changed my nutrition. My new routine is PPL split twice a week, so I trained 6 times a week. I also included loads of walking, 1-3 times a week cardio and rope jumping every day in my faily routine. So I increased my activity level and simultaneously decreased my calorie intake. For 2-3 weeks I used to eat about 1800-2200 kcal a day. As a result my body started to feel constantly tired. I was cold more often than before. My training, my workouts felt like punishment. I stopped being excited of the skills. My defecation became irregular and often unsatisfiing. My mind also changed. I am constantly thinking of eating. Even when I don't really feel hungry. I stopped being excited of many stuffs. I even stopped checking my Facebook. After all these issues I decided to take a week off training. (Not exactly a week, rather 5 days). So I stopped working out for 5 days but basically kept my nutritional habits. I kept my walking and rope jumping and overall activity high. So when I came back to the gym after the deload I didn't noticed almost any strenght loses in my upper body, but drastic strenght decreases in my legs. Before these 5 days off I was able to do 4x7 +23 kg weighted pistol squads on each of my legs. After that I barely did 4x6 +13kg. I was shocked. How is it possible to lose so much strenght in only a week? Actionally after that deload my overall energy levels are still low. I am so different than the energetic guy I was let's say two months ago. Yesterday I noticed that I avoid running not by purpose. When I tried to run it felt like I am running in water. It was hard. My lower body just hurted. So having that info please give me an advice! What should I do? How can I start working out and moving as before? How can I stop that constant fatigue. How to recover my lower body effectively? Why did my deload fail? How to become the energetic guy I was? The guy who thought for things different than eating and calories and working out in his free time? Help!

    submitted by /u/OPCeto
    [link] [comments]

    Face mask for the gym

    Posted: 06 May 2020 11:42 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    My Gym is going to reopen and they require members to wear a mask. I do have those doctors masks that I think are unsuitable for sweating and heavy breathing. Do you know a company that makes exercise suitable mask? e.g. the same fabric that they use for gym wear. I'm not looking for a mask that simulates elevation but only for a something that would be good for the gym.

    submitted by /u/vagabond9
    [link] [comments]

    Chris Heria's body

    Posted: 06 May 2020 11:42 PM PDT

    Hello guys, I really like Chris Heria's body, what is the difference of his body between other bodybuilders or calisthenics people, I know he is natural.

    submitted by /u/Sarp10
    [link] [comments]

    Understanding nutrition and general advice

    Posted: 06 May 2020 11:21 PM PDT

    Hi, I have a couple questions regarding weightlifting. I don't have anyone irl to ask so I'm turning to you guys. So, I'm a beginner to weightlifting. The last weightlifting I did was almost a decade ago in high school where I just went into the gym and worked on my arms with dumbbells. I'm 5'11, 150 lbs.

    My first question is about nutrition. I watched Matt Ogus' nutrition 101 video and I learned a lot. What confuses me is increasing my calories per week. So, I calculated my TDEE to be about 1600. According to his video, I'm suppose to put on 2-3 lbs/month. This might sound stupid, but how do I know that this much is too less or too much? Like do I blindly just put on that much weight every month? Do I have to weigh myself everyday to ensure that I'm always at that weight? For example, June starts and I'm 153lbs and I hit the gym. At the end of June, should I still be 153 lbs?

    Second question is about a workout routine. I've looked through this subreddit's wiki and found that I should be following this beginners' routine for about 3 months. After that I should be following this routine or something similar. I have two questions here. 1) How long do I continue to second routine? 2) Once I decide to cut, do I continue doing the second routine while decreasing calories steadily per week?

    Thanks in advance and sorry if these are silly questions, I'm very confused, especially about nutrition.

    submitted by /u/abdulcool1
    [link] [comments]

    Excercises with pair of 5 pound dumbbells?

    Posted: 06 May 2020 10:47 PM PDT

    With many stores not selling 15-20 pound dumbbells atm(my normal weight for curls, extensions and etc.) What are some other excercises to do besides doing a 100 reps a day?

    submitted by /u/SaiyanMario
    [link] [comments]

    Am I eating too much?

    Posted: 06 May 2020 11:49 PM PDT

    16M 170lbs 6'1 Three months ago I was basically anorexic at 140lbs and I've made big improvements in my physique but I've been forcing myself to eat 3700 calories a day. Is this unhealthy? And is there an easier way to gain weight

    submitted by /u/GiraffeNeckAss
    [link] [comments]

    Strength Potential?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 01:43 AM PDT

    18 y.o Male 6'3 235lbs roughly 12-14% BF.

    1rm: Bench - 230 Squat - 400+ Deadlift - 440+

    I am wondering if these are good numbers. I have been lifting for football for a about a year. So obviously not all my training has been purely strength related during this time. Also if anyone is able to give an estimate on my strength potential in say the next 5 years? I'd also like to add that I have only done about 1 .5 months worth of deadlifting my entire life. (I have had a shoulder reconstruction therefore causing my bench to not have huge improvements) Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/what2wearinparis
    [link] [comments]

    mastrubation after workout

    Posted: 07 May 2020 03:27 AM PDT

    does it bad for my body and muscle growth? i tried to search for the answer online but some people said it's bad and other said it's okay. thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Auhwallen
    [link] [comments]

    How to bail a squat without a squat rack?

    Posted: 06 May 2020 10:57 AM PDT

    I recently was given THIS little setup and about 190 lbs worth of weights including the 45 lb bar. The posts raise up for squatting.

    I went to the gym for a while back a few years ago, and they had squat racks that had a ~knee-high beam on each side that would catch the bar if you fell or had to bail. I never had to use them, but it gave me the confidence to really load some heavy weights on the bar.

    Obviously, this bench set up has no fail safe for squats. If you guys had to bail using this setup, how would you go about doing it?

    submitted by /u/theSparkyJB
    [link] [comments]

    Average curl for age?

    Posted: 06 May 2020 10:18 PM PDT

    Im 15 and i am curently curling 2 10kg dumbells for 20 reps and 3 sets, is that normal for my age and if not, what is?

    submitted by /u/Charley2004
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment