• Breaking News

    Wednesday, May 6, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 06, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 06, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 06, 2020

    Posted: 06 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else experiencing hair loss when losing weight?

    Posted: 05 May 2020 10:26 PM PDT

    I've lost about 30-35 lbs over the last year, and noticed that my hair is thinning out/coming out a lot more in the shower. Is it due to a lack of vitamins? I've been pretty stressed out, but that's nothing new. I have a pretty nutritious diet; I drink a green smoothie everyday and almost all of my meals have a cup of veggies and protein. I also drink about half a gallon of water a day, should I increase? Should I start taking vitamin supplements? I'm still young and don't want to lose my hair lol

    Edit: I'm female, 20

    submitted by /u/godzilla_zoey
    [link] [comments]

    Why are deadlifts "more taxing" than squats?

    Posted: 06 May 2020 03:18 AM PDT

    If you squat ~ as much as you deadlift (which I think a lot of people, including myself, do) I don't understand why squats would be more taxing than deadlifts.

    I have heard that:

    1. It is because squats have a stretch reflex but deadlifts are from a dead stop - by this logic shouldn't touch and go deadlifts be almost as easy to recover from as squats and Anderson squats as difficult to recover from as deadlifts?
    2. It is because you grip deadlifts - hands have lots of nerve endings so it is taxing on the CNS. Shouldn't by this logic deadlifts with straps be much easy to recover from, touch and go with straps even easier?
    3. It is because of spinal compression. Spinal compression also occurs a lot in squats and if you squat ~ as much as you deadlift, should this not be the same?
    4. It is because your CNS protects your back. Squats in EMG studies (I know EMG studies don't mean shit) cause greater activation of the lower erector spinae. Furthermore, most people have a similar low bar squat back angle to deadlift back angle, or maybe a few degrees difference. Note - I don't fully understand the mechanism for how CNS protects your back.
    5. Perhaps there is an element of mental taxation - you get hyped for deadlifts more so than squats. I feel as though many people, including me will get more anxious, hyped (faster heart rate) with squats because they cannot simply drop the bar to bail.

    Furthermore, many people (namely Bob Peoples) have deadlifted every day, like a squat, and have recovered sufficiently.

    The main reason I asked this is because I have, in the past squatted over 200kg every day for like a week and a half straight, and made phenomenal progress. I want to do the same for deadlift because in the past I have always done 1 set of deadlift a week because I was so scared of "burning out my CNS" or "CNS fatigue" - I think the increase in frequency and volume could give me great progress.

    submitted by /u/REDoROBOT
    [link] [comments]

    Rant Wednesday

    Posted: 06 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Rant Wednesday: It's your time to let your gym/fitness/nutrition related frustrations out!

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Cardio progression

    Posted: 06 May 2020 01:30 AM PDT

    When lifting weights it's easy to increase reps/sets/weight to make progress, but on the other hand you have to consciously make an effort to do so.

    On the other hand I'm not sure if I can even do such active effort when improving my cardio. Is it so that as long as I stick to the recommended heart rate zones during exercise, I will make progress "automatically"?

    submitted by /u/betelgz
    [link] [comments]

    Need some advice on cutting

    Posted: 06 May 2020 03:17 AM PDT

    Hey all, im 16 / 5ft 9 / 168lbs. Estimate bf, 25-30%

    I've been overweight all my teen life with my highest being last august where i was 190lbs. Since then ive been doing intermittent fasting and eating a healthy-ish diet whilst also walking 5 days a week for at least 2-3 hours. I will admit ive been up and down with the diet and haven't stayed truly committed hence why its taken nearly 9 months to lose 30lbs.

    2 weeks ago I started lifting 4 days a week and taking dieting seriously eating at a calorie deficit (1500 calories / day). I try keep protein up to at least 140g a day, fat to about 40-50g and carbs fill in the rest. I also take a protein shake after my workout. I track everything im eating with my fitness pal.

    Ive just got some questions.

    1. Ive heard you dont want to cut at 16, is this true?
    2. Is 1500 calories enough? (my maintenance is 1800)
    3. Is cardio equally important when cutting?
    submitted by /u/GrandPaladin22
    [link] [comments]

    Proportionally Long femurs causing tight hamstrings and effects functionality

    Posted: 06 May 2020 02:37 AM PDT

    So I have been struggling with this very odd problem for 6 years. It has really impacted how my body moves and also self confidence. I'm not exaggerating when I say this has ruined many aspects of my life. I am a 25 year old male and still couldn't find a solution to this problem that might not even sound like a problem to some, but it's really complicated.

    The problem started when I was around 19. I noticed my femur(thigh bones) grew taller and so did my hips,relative to other bones;shins,torso,arms. I've always had long and muscular thighs, but around 19, they really grew out of proportion. It feels like the bone grew in length but the hamstrings didn't

    My hamstrings are always tight and my other body parts hurt as well due to the wider hips and unproportionate femurs. For example I have to bend my knees and back more compared to before to pick up things from the ground or at knee height to reach my hands down. My shorter shin bones are also hurting by the middle of the day.

    I've tried Physiotherapy and stretching but it only helps in the movement, most of the time my whole body,legs and hip flexors are so tight. The doctors O have visited just told me, you can't change your bone structure and just do stretches to lengthen hamstring muscles.

    I don't know what I will achieve from posting this here other then releasing some stress by venting. Maybe someone has been through a similar problem and can share some insight.

    submitted by /u/Mining_Boy20
    [link] [comments]

    What is your guys opinion on main-gaining?

    Posted: 06 May 2020 01:10 AM PDT

    For those of you who don't know, it means gaining muscle while eating at TDEE plus a very small surplus. Less than 100. I have been watching Greg Douchette recently, and he really pushes main-gaining. He says it is superior to bulking/cutting. What is your guys opinion on this?

    submitted by /u/MKOSU
    [link] [comments]

    Are squats, Romanian deadlift and calves raises enough for a leg day?

    Posted: 06 May 2020 04:20 AM PDT

    I usually do 10 reps for 4 sets, even so I feel like I am missing some leg muscles, is it my impression or what?

    Also should I use a weight belt for Romanian deadlift?

    submitted by /u/wilserax
    [link] [comments]

    What are some good hamstring exercises?

    Posted: 06 May 2020 03:09 AM PDT

    I suffer from a condition called Hamstring Tightness and I really really want to become a Cop and I'm trying to train myself for my new course which can be quite physical. Any help is good help. Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/EllaBergin12
    [link] [comments]

    What burns more calories running or walking the same distance?

    Posted: 06 May 2020 03:05 AM PDT

    I take my dog on a 5 mile walk every day for past few months but I'm starting to feel lazy like I should be running instead.

    Would running 5 miles burn more calories than walking 5 miles ? I walk quite fast

    submitted by /u/Bipolar__Wanderlust
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to bulk... few questions?

    Posted: 06 May 2020 02:12 AM PDT

    Been reading a bunch of articles.

    M 23 169 5'10(skinnier arms and a small gut)

    Just came off two months of keto. And was at 186. Now I want to bulk up but not a dirty bulk and gain the fat I lost.

    Any recommendations on whey protein?

    Or a good weight training program to follow?

    I think those are my only concerns because the diet part is not hard as keto got me accustomed to a lot of nutritional information. Gonna eat clean, low fat, high protein and carbs(3,000 calories)

    Anything else I am not mentioning let me know.

    submitted by /u/dannydrew24
    [link] [comments]

    16:8 IF plus HIIT, but no change in weight. Any thoughts?

    Posted: 06 May 2020 01:09 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Just looking for some advice. I'm currently doing 16;8 IF plus HIIT (30-45 min, 6x a week, using moderate dumbells sometimes) and on a diet of 1200-1300 calories a day (trying to keep carbs to around 100g a day). But two weeks in and there's no change in my weight, if anything it's increased slightly. My tummy and legs / bum are looking a bit better though My starting weight is 74kg and aiming for 67kg.

    Any thoughts on improvement to help me reach my goal? In past that weight has been good to continue weight training and get leaner.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/anagramz90
    [link] [comments]

    Overhead press sudden failure

    Posted: 06 May 2020 12:35 AM PDT

    I was just doing a 5x5, I was doing linear progression up until 40kg, since my last rep in my last set was failed. I redid it in my last workout, and got it fine. I'm now doing 42.5kg, most I've ever lifted. First set was a struggle, second set was good. Then in my 3rd set I almost failed on my last rep, wobbling like crazy near full extension. On my 4th set, I couldn't even lift weight past the top of my head. My 5th set was good, like my 2nd. (Had 5 mins of rest instead of 3 cause that's what the app said)

    What should I do now? I'm really confused and don't know what to think about it, I'm just disappointed I couldn't do my 4th set.

    submitted by /u/calebchristo
    [link] [comments]

    Increasing arm size by 2 inches

    Posted: 06 May 2020 12:01 AM PDT

    Hello! I am a 18 year old male that just finished a cut at around 11% body fat. I currently weigh 170lb and I am 6 feet tall. I have been lifting for a few years, and so far my arms are about 14 inches. They are big enough to fill a medium size shirt but they just aren't impressive. I definitely want them to be at 16 inches in a year. Is this possible? I have been thinking about training arms 3X a week as I feel like they are lacking compared to the rest of my body. What is your guys opinion this?

    submitted by /u/MKOSU
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with technology integration....

    Posted: 05 May 2020 11:09 PM PDT

    Hey, I am 58 and about a month away from 59. I had a stroke 12 years ago which changed my metabolism and my weight when I am not constantly on top of things. And I haven't been this past year, weighing as heavy as I ever have. My only solid way to maintain was to go to a 3x a week bootcamp, but it closed. Pre-stoke I was very athletic. But I wear a Fitbit Surge, use myfitnesspal, and have an iPhone. In my quarantine gym in my basement I have a nice treadmill, a very nice Bowflex both that I did not use much bc I would go to the regular gym, and now I have bought the NotdiTrack stationary bike with the training and the coaching through a year of ifit. Ifit does not talk to my Fitbit, but ifit will register the time and data from that bike, And any other training I do through the other trainer programs that come through the screen. I know they do their own bootcamp and some strength training. But I was wondering of there was a combination of apps that maybe could make things a little easier to track so that I can see how I am doing and where I need to work more. I live my surge, but I understand there are some models of trackers that can track blood pressure and % of O2. I just want to find a simple easy way/place to track it all together. I also walk my dog outside too, so the tracker on my person is important. Any ideas? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/tommyISfunny
    [link] [comments]

    Small female Looking for belt recommendations

    Posted: 05 May 2020 11:08 PM PDT

    I'm a 23F 5 ft 2 ~48-50kg & looking to invest in a lifting belt as I've been training for 5 years now (properly structured strength training for ~1 year.)

    Any recommendations for budget friendly lever belts (preferably non leather too.) I'm from Australia, so any local companies would be great so I don't have to spend my paycheck on shipping. Also, whats everyones thoughts on knee sleeves?

    submitted by /u/giacintam
    [link] [comments]

    I havent worked out in a month how bad will that mess me up

    Posted: 05 May 2020 11:15 PM PDT

    Yeah I know I've been lazy I'm a 15 year old athlete who has not had this Lon of a break from working out on 2 years even after this whole lockdown thing I still worked out heavily. So my birthday bcale around and you know missing one work out leads 2 and 2 to 4 and I'm tired feeling lazy so ik probably going to start working out again ive been eating not very healthy lately either. I just wanted to know how bad the recovery time would be and how low from my normal weight I have to go

    submitted by /u/Tanner576
    [link] [comments]

    Is it okay to skip a day?

    Posted: 05 May 2020 05:44 PM PDT

    I've googled this repeatedly and I can't find a concrete answer. I did my workouts yesterday except for my night one. I usually do one in the morning, some sort of activity in the afternoon and one at night. Today I did my morning one and feel sore and like crap to be honest, is it okay to skip my afternoon and night one, and I was thinking of just doing some light workouts tonight as a replacement. Overall I just want to know if it's okay, and I'm mainly worried because every couple or few days I won't do my night one and it makes me upset at myself.

    submitted by /u/brj5_yt
    [link] [comments]

    Hypertrophy training makes me exhausted. Should I do it more often?

    Posted: 05 May 2020 01:05 PM PDT

    Since I've started lifting weights I've been doing mostly strength-oriented training with reps between 6-8 (usually closer to 6). My strength was going up on every workout so I thought it's fine. But last time I've decided to try to go for higher reps 10-12 with a lower weight. I was surprised to find out that I'm absolutely exhausted after doing just a few sets (breathing like after running a couple of miles).

    So here's my question: would I benefit more from switching completely to hypertrophy training? Or should I just do both the strength and hypertrophy workouts? My goal is not the strength - I just want to put on as much muscle mass as possible during a bulk.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/OneContribution1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment