• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 21, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Routine Campfire - Westside for Skinny Bastards

    Beginner Fitness: Routine Campfire - Westside for Skinny Bastards


    Routine Campfire - Westside for Skinny Bastards

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 04:32 PM PDT

    Welcome to the next r/Fitness Campfire series - Routine Campfires! You can read the original announcement thread along with the future schedule here.


    This week's topic: Westside for Skinny Bastards

    Ask questions you have about this routine in this thread, and the community will help you get an answer.


    Here are the rules for Routine Campfires:

    • Routine Campfires are for asking specific questions about a specific routine and getting answers from the community.
    • Top level comments must be a specific question about the topic routine. Questions which are excessively vague to a point of being difficult to answer directly will not be permitted. Comments should not be used for general chit-chat, just for asking and answering questions.
    • Routine Campfires are not for routine critique requests of any kind. This includes but is not limited to: tweaks, lift replacements, accessory choices. All such questions should be directed to the Daily Thread exactly as any normal routine critique would be.
    • Replies to questions should be either an answer to the question, or asking the poster for information necessary to better answer the question.
    • Comments which in any way support or encourage piracy of a routine or its material will be removed and posters who make them banned permanently.
    • Comments should be civil and serious. Jokes, memes, and rudeness will not be permitted.
    • If the answer to a question can be found in an existing page about the routine, please be sure to include a link to the page.
    • Please check the thread to see if your question has been asked prior to posting.

    Comments which break these rules will be removed and posters given bans at the discretion of the moderators. Remember when you participate that the purpose of these threads is to develop community resources for those who come to r/Fitness for help in the future.

    submitted by /u/purplespengler
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 21, 2020

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Early AM workouts have taken away my fire

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 06:18 AM PDT

    As per title. Long story short I transitioned my workouts to early morning before work. Up at 4am and out of the gym 5:30am. I found this shift very efficient being a father to 2, time management is key. However currently I hate the grind every morning. Find myself just going through the motions. Tough to get in the "mood". I experimented and worked out this weekend during the afternoon and found it amazing. Curious if anyone has had a similar experience or any advice from the dads out there. Thanks

    submitted by /u/HowManyPushups
    [link] [comments]

    Have I reached my genetic limit?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 12:36 AM PDT

    Iv been lifting for 8 years and I have only seen minor improvements the last 2 years and it's getting rough mentally to stay motivated, Iv been looking into sarms as I really need something to push me to the next level.

    I'm 6'5 so filling out is very hard, I only look good in certain poses and angles due to my big ass frame

    Here is my transformation, I doubt il get any bigger as a natty :(

    https://ibb.co/dfnHwnD

    https://ibb.co/zFvFZRK

    submitted by /u/Meyzu91
    [link] [comments]

    Is it ok to eat right after your workout?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 10:35 PM PDT

    it's quarantine season and i'm working out at home before my lunch.

    is it ok to eat right after your workout? i'm taking like 5-10 minutes after workout. or i should wait longer?

    submitted by /u/sooooshi
    [link] [comments]

    How do you keep making progress after years of training?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 02:33 AM PDT

    I've been training for 5-6 years now (since 2014), since then I have put on 48lb/22kg of mass. Most of that happened in the first 3 years and after that its been a lot of effort making any progress, which I'm not too surprised about as you do slow down vs. the beginning.

    Curious to know what you do when you:

    1. Hit plateaus - i.e. maxing out on the weight you are lifting or see it going down
    2. Lose focus/"aggression" - i.e. not going as hard as you used to go
    3. Lose "motivation" - i.e. due to the speed of growth/transformation
    4. Have low quality workouts - i.e. not concentrating on each rep, lack of mind muscle connection
    submitted by /u/KronicXD
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for mid-back (not lower back) pain during abdominal exercises?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 04:38 AM PDT

    All of my exploring (whether it be on YouTube, Reddit, physio, PT) focuses on correcting LOWER back pain when it comes to ab exercises, usually attributed to tight hip flexors. As a result, I thought I had an anterior pelvic tilt and am currently doing the prescribed stretches, vacuums, foam rolling and posture correction to remedy it, but I've become acutely aware that the pain radiates from the middle of my back rather than the lower areas.

    I've adjusted and tweaked my form but my back still insists on taking over. Painful exercises include but aren't limited to: planks (back straight pelvis tucked) , Spider-Man planks, crossbody mountain climber, Russian twists, crunches and more. If I'm doing an ab circuit with a 30 second work time I end up failing at 10-15 seconds purely because of my mid-back and end up never making any progress.

    If this is a case of weak abdominals, how do I strengthen them without engaging my back? Has anyone else ever dealt with this, any direction would be so appreciated!

    submitted by /u/indigointheblue
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations- face mask you can actually work out in?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 04:33 AM PDT

    When the gyms finally reopen, I suspect face masks will be required. I have one I use when I go into grocery stores, & I hate it- it blocks my vision and fogs up my glasses if I'm wearing them. I have been running outside, but I can't imagine wearing a mask- I just stay very far away from people.

    So, I'd like to go back to my normal class routine at the gym when it's time- cardio, weights, HIIT stuff- I'm usually pretty sweaty at the end and breathing hard. Does anyone have a mask they recommend that will stay in place and won't make you feel like you're suffocating when you work out?

    submitted by /u/CCCC2233
    [link] [comments]

    A quick question about me doing sit-ups

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 05:31 PM PDT

    Am i a casual-beginner-stay-at-home-excersiser....

    But am I the only one or are there more people incapable to doing regular sit-ups?

    Like my core is fine, but if i dont counter-weigh my ankles, i will only lift up my feet and my upperbody will hardly come off the ground. At max I will just make an akward V-shape in the air whilst hurting the bones in my lower back.

    Like when I put my ankles under my bed or a pile of pillows, I can easily do 25 - 30. But I just seem inbalanced... Any tips?

    submitted by /u/PolderMeneer
    [link] [comments]

    Can RDL with dumbells compete with hex deadlifts?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 02:21 AM PDT

    So I used to do deadlifts with a hexagonal bar before my gym closed. Now stuck a t home, I've started doing romanian deadlifts with dumbells. For hypertrophy in the hamstrings, erectors and back in general, do you think RDL with dumbells can compete with deadlifts with a hexagonal bar?

    submitted by /u/qAstrov
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know of any good lower calf exercises besides seated calf raise?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 12:51 AM PDT

    For developing the lower leg between the ankle and the gastrocnemius I understand that seated calf raises are good because they challenge the soleus but does anyone know any other exercises to develop this area? I've made pretty good gains on my gastrocnemius muscles but my lower legs are still so skinny and that is the area I want to build muscle in

    submitted by /u/strungoutfelon
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for an affordable weighted jump rope to order in Australia

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 10:40 PM PDT

    I'm looking to order a weighted jump rope for my home exercise routine. I specifically want a weighted rope, not weighted handles. The obvious top option is the CrossRope but I don't have $188USD (inc tax and postage) to throw down on the purchase. So I am looking for a decent yet affordable option available in Australia, or with cheap postage to Australia. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/GrumpyW
    [link] [comments]

    recovering from being in a large caloric deficit for a long time?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 12:46 PM PDT

    Edit: deleted all my journey details and kept it short as below, if anyone want more details i can provide them.

    i needed 3000 calories as daily intake and i went cold turkey to 1500 calories i started seeing results for the first 3 months but then got stuck with no results for the last 3 months so i thought i slowed down my metabolism so badly by the large caloric deficit and wondering if doing 2 week re-feed will be the proper thing to do.

    submitted by /u/Hiwa_47
    [link] [comments]

    Help in setting up a full body routing

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 03:17 AM PDT

    Hello,

    So I've been exercising regularly for the past three years, but I haven't been able to stick to a routine and often try different things because I don't feel like I've been able to devise a good plan.

    I'm 186cm (6'1") for 76kg (167lb), 35 and would define myself as skinnyfat: thin arms, thin legs and a proper muffin top. My goal is to optimize for general health and maybe trim some belly fat, which is the only place where I currently have noticeable deposits of fat. As a father of three I haven't got too much time, so my ideal schedule would be 5 wo a week with three shorter ones (ideally around 20 mins) and two longer ones (around 40 mins).

    My current plan is something like this: * jump rope 5 times a week, if it's the only thing I'm doing 20 minutes, otherwise 10 minutes after whatever it is I've done. I've started out 1 month ago, so I can't do any kind of trick as I'm still tripping every now and then * 3 sets of this kettlebell routine with a 16kg (35lbs) kb 2 times a week: https://www.onnit.com/academy/full-body-kettlebell-workout-for-beginners/ I've been doing this for the past 6 months so I might have to upgrade to a heavier kb * I've recently started to incorporate some trx moves, but as much as I enjoy it, it gives me some light back pain, which I guess is due to not having proper form, so I'm limiting it

    I also used to do one HIIT on an AirBike once a week, but I haven't had access to the bike (due to lockdown) for the past 1 1/2 month (that's how long we've been in lockdown so far in Italy).

    So equipment available: TRX, 16kg KB, jump ropes, AirBike. Waiting for Rogue to re-stock pull-up bars so I can get one.

    Goal: shed some fat, lift some weights (either in the form of a kettlebell or my own body) and do some cardio. Have a routine which is simple (the less exercises the better) but is still training my whole body. I don't care about bulking, if anything I'd like to avoid it: ideal physique would be lean with a little muscle definition due to having less body fat. Ultimate goal: keep my mobility, strength and flexibility for as many years as possible, ideally into 70s-80s, assuming I'm making it that far ;)

    Diet: I rarely eat refined sugar (usually only for my kids' birthdays and a few other times a year around holidays), let's say 10-15 times a year and never full-portions, so it might be negligible. I don't have refined carbs (pasta/bread) everyday (maybe every other day) and eat legumes when I don't, but I do like some wine in the evening, so that would count as some carbs, other than that is veggies, fish/meat, added fat (extra-virgin olive oil) and a little dairy (mostly parmisan or some other cheese, no milk). I do time-restricted feeding at least mon-fri eating only one very large meal a day in the evening and I've been doing it for several years and find it very easy; during the week-end I might have lunch (Sunday: 100%, Saturday: 50% chance) to make things easier and to have a family lunch all together.

    I know it's a lot to ask, so feel free to skip this one if it feels like it's too much. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/michele
    [link] [comments]

    Over this isolation period I want to build: A bigger neck, bigger forearms and bigger arms/shoulders

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 12:52 AM PDT

    I got an okay sized body but my forearms, neck and even my arms let me down. I cant go to the gym but I do have dumbells (total weight equalling up to 17kg = 38 lbs).

    I suppose Im gonna have to do bodyweight exercises alongside but is it possible to add an inch or 2 to all these areas if I trained them like 3/4xs a week? And how?

    submitted by /u/After_Courage
    [link] [comments]

    Quick question about jumping rope

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 07:31 PM PDT

    So I'm a beginner and want to start jumping rope as a cardio workout, especially now that I can't go outside for running. Will jumping rope give me big calf muscles? I want lean legs, not bulky ones

    submitted by /u/__carla
    [link] [comments]

    Looking at getting gym rings for working out. Any good beginner ring routine?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 05:52 PM PDT

    Any suggestion on ring workout routines for beginners? I'm probably gonna stay out of the gym for a bit until things actually clear up lol

    submitted by /u/ArchangelFuhkEsarhes
    [link] [comments]

    Find myself eating a lot more?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 11:08 PM PDT

    Started a routine of jogging at least a mile a day. I try to pace myself but by the end I'm sweating and tired.

    My main problem is that I feel like I'm eating a lot more than I want to. I had a smoothie for breakfast an hour after my workout but literally an hour later I ate 3 pieces of toast with almond butter and 2 eggs. An hour after that my mom made dinner and I had steak and rice.

    I'm not used to this much physical activity and I'm afraid of losing all of my progress by all of the eating I'm doing. I'm trying to make healthier choices but I'm not sure if I'm eating in excess for the sake of it or if it's because of the workouts.

    submitted by /u/TheTransFantasy
    [link] [comments]

    What is core training?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    Hey I'm going to start this off with saying I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, asking too much or breaking the rules and I understand if it gets removed.

    I'm a 20 year old man who's currently stuck at home in lockdown but I'm still trying to stay fit and not rot away. I have a barbell which goes to a max of 27.5kg and dumbbells that go to a max of 12.5kg, which basically means for compound lifts the weights aren't ideal. But something is better than nothing! I can maintain my form at the very least because I'm a little slower than others. I recently found a huge gap in my core strength when I tried to use and ab wheel roller and couldn't fully roll out without back hyperextension. Instead of being put down I decided I need to seriously go to work. I have a six pack and want to maintain it and strengthen my core. Now my questions are here:

    1. Is core training and ab training the same?

    2. Will core training help maintain my six pack?

    3. What's a good anti rotation exercise for the floor with either no equipment or what I mentioned above? I suffer from analysis paralysis very badly so I'm getting a bit overwhelmed.

    4. I do an anti extension, anti lateral flexion and am looking for a good anti rotation exercise but do I also need an extension exercise?

    5. Thoughts on this routine for core/abs(???) that I do every other workout: Dead bugs 3x7 each side Side plank raises 3x15 each side Bird dogs? Haven't tried Extension exercise? Haven't found one yet

    TLDR: I'm a noob, not very learned and need help with understanding the requirements of a core workout and maintaining abs.

    Thank you for any help

    submitted by /u/sg160999
    [link] [comments]

    Am i doing it wrong?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 08:11 AM PDT

    Hi there, been doing calisthenics for about 3 months now, but ive been dealing with sudden thigh/legs problems while performing ab excercise.. i do feel the abs whenever i am doing f.e russian twists, but really less (thought i got used to it and i need to up the reps), but suddenly last 2 weeks are horrible for me, since everytime I do these my thighs just restrict me to keep holding on for more, even if I can hold for 10 more seconds, as i keep my legs stretched in the air they just burn and i cant hold them in that position, making the abs workout inefective.. is anyone able to provide help?

    submitted by /u/EpicFail8221
    [link] [comments]

    Switching from phul on a cut

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    Hi guys! I have been on PHUL for about 2-3 months now, and I've been cutting for atleast 2. I switched to this from 5/3/1 BBB because I was going on a cut and I figured, hey, hypertrophy is "easier" on a cut then full strength. I have steadily been making progress, strength wise, while losing weight. However, the last 2-3 weeks I've hit a ceiling, and I am feeling more and more shit as I get deeper into the cut. So I am looking for an alternative, pref a program more focused on hypertrophy, and also I am looking for some advice on how you guys did to move on on a cut. Should I just be happy with staying at the strength where I am, and just push on with the cut?

    submitted by /u/NoteturNomen
    [link] [comments]

    stupid question about calculating calories in a home made batch of food

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 07:05 AM PDT

    Hi,

    i would like to warn you this is probably a really stupid question so please keep that in mind, i am a dumb ass and that's without mentioning my maths skills

    my question is- if i make a big batch of food in a slow cooker that has a large amount of tinned ingredients and vegetables.. how can i cook this, take a portion of any size, weigh it and know how many calories are in this portion?

    im not even sure if my question makes sense but i hope it does somehow

    i have food scales

    the ingredients are stuff like tinned beans which are easy to calculate, with veg like onions and peppers

    bit embarrassed to ask but i can't figure it out properly.

    thanks for your help

    submitted by /u/truthtablez1
    [link] [comments]

    Glycogen Levels

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 01:03 PM PDT

    I recently watched Greg Doucette's video on David Laids 72 hour fast and it got me intrested in lowering my glycogen levels at the end of my cut as by stated by the doctor himeself can male you look up to 2 weeks deeper in a cut. Will going keto for 2 weeks do the job?

    I do not know any information on the topic so any advice/info helps

    submitted by /u/ferggod2001
    [link] [comments]

    3000 m in 11:09

    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 09:27 AM PDT

    In the moment I run 3000m in 12:40. I also run everyday and I hardly see any changes. Any tipps or tricks? I started to train about a month ago(14:50 min).

    submitted by /u/Colyn2000
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment