• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 15, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Routine Campfire - PHAT

    Beginner Fitness: Routine Campfire - PHAT


    Routine Campfire - PHAT

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 12:07 PM PDT

    Welcome to the next r/Fitness Campfire series - Routine Campfires! You can read the original announcement thread along with the future schedule here.


    This week's topic: PHAT

    Ask questions you have about this routine in this thread, and the community will help you get an answer.


    Here are the rules for Routine Campfires:

    • Routine Campfires are for asking specific questions about a specific routine and getting answers from the community.
    • Top level comments must be a specific question about the topic routine. Questions which are excessively vague to a point of being difficult to answer directly will not be permitted. Comments should not be used for general chit-chat, just for asking and answering questions.
    • Routine Campfires are not for routine critique requests of any kind. This includes but is not limited to: tweaks, lift replacements, accessory choices. All such questions should be directed to the Daily Thread exactly as any normal routine critique would be.
    • Replies to questions should be either an answer to the question, or asking the poster for information necessary to better answer the question.
    • Comments which in any way support or encourage piracy of a routine or its material will be removed and posters who make them banned permanently.
    • Comments should be civil and serious. Jokes, memes, and rudeness will not be permitted.
    • If the answer to a question can be found in an existing page about the routine, please be sure to include a link to the page.
    • Please check the thread to see if your question has been asked prior to posting.

    Comments which break these rules will be removed and posters given bans at the discretion of the moderators. Remember when you participate that the purpose of these threads is to develop community resources for those who come to r/Fitness for help in the future.

    submitted by /u/purplespengler
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 15, 2020

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Why do so many bodybuilders use partial Rom?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 04:36 PM PDT

    So whenever I look at clips of famous bodybuilders, there often doing half range of motion and rarely go to full rom. Now I get these guys are on a shitton of stuff but these guys have the best physiques of mankind, and are competing against other people also using anabolics, so they must be doing something right. My only prevailing theory is these guys got strong originally doing full rom and the main lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, etc) and when we see these guys they're just trying to increase weaker areas and peak out they're looks.

    submitted by /u/Danubinmage64
    [link] [comments]

    Least Amount of Protein

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 04:17 PM PDT

    Hello, I am trying to lose fat and I aim to eat 1400-1500 calories a day but I often do not eat enough protein. I am 137 pounds and 5'7 and run about 25 miles a week. What's the least amount of protein I could eat to preserve muscle?

    submitted by /u/v_m_21
    [link] [comments]

    Bit lost and need advice.

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 02:08 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm 18 years old, 5'11 11.1 stone, and I'm looking to build a nice physique. My Dad has brought a multi-gym even after I tried to convince him to get a power rack and barbell etc, and I'm worried that i will not be able to get big without the quintessential barbell exercises.

    I've read on various other Reddit posts that multi-gyms are really terrible and I'm strapped for money atm so I can't go and buy my own barbell setup.

    The multi-gym in question is this https://www.uksportimports.com/ironman-im-309-advanced-single-station-mulit-gym

    And the exercises you can do it on it are:

    • Upright rows
    • Chest Press
    • Leg Extensions
    • Crunches and sit-ups
    • Butterfly press
    • Lateral pulldown
    • Arm curl bar
    • Leg curl bar
    • Bicep curls
    • Seated weighted curls using the rear cable pulley and rope attachment
    • Tricep rope push or pull-downs
    • Ab Crunches

    I have dumbbells ranging from 10kg to 25kg and I know what to eat, protein intake etc but I'm struggling to form a workout routine around this machine as it is all I have access to as i can't join a gym.

    (massive noobie when it comes to exercise routines btw)

    Cheers.

    submitted by /u/J7bzy
    [link] [comments]

    Rant Wednesday

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Rant Wednesday: It's your time to let your gym/fitness/nutrition related frustrations out!

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Bulgarian Split Squats

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 09:34 AM PDT

    Anyone else using BSS as their main leg exercise due to the gyms being closed? How many sets do you guys do per workout? I'm currently doing 6 sets of 10 (each leg) with 30kg dumbbells in each hand. My 1RM back squat is 150kg at 80kg bodyweight for reference. I usually finish the workout with 3 sets of Romanian deadlifts and I find that I'm TOTALLY wiped out after just these 9 sets. However I usually do twice as many sets when I'm doing my usual leg workout which consists mainly of squats and leg press.

    I feel like I'm slacking off by doing so few sets, what is your guys opinion on this? Should I just push through the fatigue and add more sets or is BSS taxing enough for this to be sufficient? Thanks for any input

    submitted by /u/astronaught1
    [link] [comments]

    20 years old (M) and a bit lost

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 03:02 AM PDT

    Been doing a regular workout routine with dumbells / barbells and have gained about 30 pounds. Note that haven't really been to a gym because I kinda have anxiety. 19, (120lb) >> 20, (148lbs) Want to keep gaining weight to reach a goal of 160 or 170 pounds and looking to see if there's anything wrong with the exercises I do or I am not eating enough. I have been stuck at around 148-150 lbs for about 4 months now and haven't been seening any weight gain after that. I have dumbells from 10lbs to 40lbs.

    These are the videos:

    Arms:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYsmFL7NmwE&t=253s

    Chest:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f36MZ-axYns&t=299s

    Back:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXbuMsuUJeE&t=206s

    Shoulders:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoGKeRQFRDU&t=126s

    Legs:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpDsRqQ6Bcc&t=313s

    submitted by /u/Chainman555
    [link] [comments]

    Is it better to do bicep curls against a wall?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 10:44 PM PDT

    I know that doing curls against a wall is good for improving your form, but is it overall better than regular bicep curls for improving bicep size and strength?

    submitted by /u/bravesheeptribe2018
    [link] [comments]

    How can I avoid losing muscle mass with limited access to proteins during isolation?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 02:01 AM PDT

    Hello, I hope everyone is staying healthy during these trying times. I weigh 143 pounds and am 5'10". After a long stage of bulking (I started off very skinny but have built up a lot of muscle mass) I have recently started cutting but I do not have access to much protein during this isolation period. I can eat maybe 3 eggs a day and drink a lot of milk but I don't hit more than 80g of protein on any given day (while in an ideal situation I would aim for around 160g a day). What can I do to avoid losing all my muscle mass? Should I try to maintain my body weight or lean bulk instead of cutting if I can't eat enough protein?

    Please note that I do have access to weights through the gym in my building.

    Edit: Most of the shops in my area don't have meat/protein powder and my government has banned people from traveling too far so I cant get meat. I can definitely consume more eggs though.

    submitted by /u/TheDarkLord247
    [link] [comments]

    Enlarged stomach organ?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 01:00 AM PDT

    I got my body fat recently checked (using calipers so not exactly the most precise) and was at 12% although I suspect I'm closer to 13-14%. When I flex my stomach all 6 abs show. Some vascularity and striations are also visible on various muscles so I am by no means a high body fat percentage. However, my stomach seems to stick out immensely, but it's not like there's a lot of belly fat. It seems as if my stomach organ is engorged similar to children who are malnourished having eaten a diet consisting high in carbs and immensely lacking in protein, and as a result have that skinny-fat belly appearance. It may be hard to determine without a photo, but is there a possibility that my stomach organ or GI tract is stretched or enlarged? I never used HGH or any gear whether in the form of steroids or PH. I did some research and there were some explanations which included exercises such as sucking in your stomach (as if to get your navel to touch your spine and holding for a few seconds for one rep- and performing 10-12 reps for 2-3 sets.

    Is this bro science or is there any scientific explanation for it? How do I know if it's fat that seems to be more concentrated in my belly? I don't think this is the case because of the definition upon flexing and when I pinch my stomach it's not like there's a ton of fat to grab.

    Can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/BrokeAyrab
    [link] [comments]

    How much needs to be done to start getting some arm strength?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 11:11 PM PDT

    I have very weak arm muscles, and always have. I've started dancing and doing acro, but I don't have the arm strength to hold myself in many positions, so I would like to build up a little bit of strength in them, and am not worried about gaining heaps of muscle really quickly, that's not really my priority

    I was wondering though, how much needs to be done to actually make a difference? If I was to do 10 minutes a day using some small weights (going from zero arm training at all), would this make a difference, or is it just waist if my time?

    submitted by /u/Sunny_the_bunny
    [link] [comments]

    Recomped for 3 months with no results. Thinking of starting a cut instead. Thoughts?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 10:29 PM PDT

    I've been lifting for a little over a year now. I'm a female, 5'2, 120lbs, at around 20-23% body fat

    I recomped for 3 months (January-March) and saw legitimately zero results. I've never been so dedicated to my nutrition and training than I was during those 3 months, and it was just really discouraging to see such a lack of results. I know 3 months isn't that long, but still.

    I store fat in my stomach, so I want to start a cut in order to lose that fat. Then after around 3 months I'll switch to a bulk (on the lower side of a surplus) in order to build my glutes back up.

    Does this sound like a solid plan? I just wanted to get a few opinions before I make it a definite plan since I've never gone through a legit bulk or cut cycle.

    (For any of those wondering: I have a home gym.) Hope you guys are staying safe!

    submitted by /u/okaymelissa
    [link] [comments]

    Question about weird marks on my body

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    Since I started working out i've occasionally gotten these red marks on my arms forearms and chest. However recently they have gotten very deep and extremely red which is a little worrying. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there anyway for me to get them to go away? Does it have something to do with lifting or could it be some kind of rash or disease? Any comments would help, thanks.

    submitted by /u/Zeldarz
    [link] [comments]

    Madcow Setup

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 06:16 PM PDT

    I'm transferring from Stronglifts to Madcow and I'm curious what the starting numbers are. Are they the 5x5 weight numbers or am I supposed to find out what my 1x5 number is for the lifts? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MetalliMunk
    [link] [comments]

    Getting older adults excited about exercising?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 10:11 AM PDT

    I'm currently quarantining with my parents, who are older (later 60s) and am hoping to get them into doing some strength building exercises because I can see them starting to lose muscle mass.

    Ive tried doing some basic exercises with them (wall sits and a little with resistance bands) and got complaints because it was not particularly fun. The movements were a little challenging but mostly boring I think. They aren't horribly opposed to the idea but due to lack of interest certainly won't do it on their own.

    Does anyone have recommendations for getting older people excited to do strength building/maintaining exercises?

    submitted by /u/NjalBorgeirsson
    [link] [comments]

    Shoulders are too weak to row

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 02:23 PM PDT

    Im new to fitness but I've found that my shoulders almost always give out well before my back while I'm doing bent over rows with a dumbbell or a barbell. My back always feels like it's working but long before it's done my shoulders give out and I have to give up. Im not sure if it's a problem with my form or I just have really weak shoulders.

    It's probably important to note that I usually do overhead presses the day before my back workout so that might be worth changing.

    submitted by /u/KnightofFruit
    [link] [comments]

    Tyre workout

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 01:43 PM PDT

    Staying with my gf atm. She has an athletics pitch round the back of her house with tyres of various sizes and a couple of discs weighing 15 and 25 kg. Keen to get a workout going - can anybody here help me come up with a good routine (preferably different stuff on different days to keep it varied)?

    submitted by /u/snitchsgetbitchs
    [link] [comments]

    What is the next step is?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 12:41 PM PDT

    Hello everyone. I have been on a weight-loss journey for a while. Going from 240lbs to my current state of 185lbs. I am a male. 5 feet 10 inches tall with around 20% body fat (I'm going off by what my weight scale says although I'm aware they aren't the most accurate). I initially went from 240lbs to 215lbs just with cardio. Starting this year from January to March I went from 215 to 194 with only weightlifting 4-5 times a week. After March quarantine hit my town, I've been doing nothing but cardio since then. I'm currently at 185lbs and the question I have is. When do I know when I'm at a good enough weight to start focusing only on weightlifting again? Or if I need to get down to a lower weight still. My goal is to form a Lean build.

    I'm currently eating around 1600 calories and eating around 100-150grams of protein a day. (If any of this small info matters)

    TLDR: I'm 185lbs, want to be lean, should I continue with cardio or solely focus on lifting?

    submitted by /u/TripLeader
    [link] [comments]

    Can I substitute a heavy school bag for Dumbbells for my workout routine?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2020 06:45 AM PDT

    Am I wrong in assuming that a dumbbell is nothing more than weights? Since I dont have them maybe if I load my bag with books and use it it might give the same result for the usual forearm routines one would do with dumbbells?

    submitted by /u/shady_bananas
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment