• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 26, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: I need to run a 9 minute mile, my fastest so far has been a 9:30

    Beginner Fitness: I need to run a 9 minute mile, my fastest so far has been a 9:30


    I need to run a 9 minute mile, my fastest so far has been a 9:30

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 09:21 AM PDT

    I am a 26 year old male who jogs a 1.5 mile basically everyday and my 1.5 mile time always varies. The fastest I ever done was a little under 9:30. That was last summer and since then I have not really even come close, I think the winter season, sticking only to the tread mill actually killed my run speed as I am now running 10 to 10:30 mile time. but to be fair I'm 213 pounds now and when I ran the 9:30 I was about 15-20 pounds less. I need to hit 9:00 and beyond, please help I am willing to give it all I got to make this happen.

    EDIT: I know the title says mile but I meant 1.5 mile time. Thank you I love you all.

    submitted by /u/TwitchtvUltomo
    [link] [comments]

    Victory Sunday

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Victory Sunday Thread

    It is Sunday, 6:00 am here in the eastern half of Hyder, Alaska. It's time to ask yourself: What was the one, best thing you did on behalf of your fitness this week? What was your Fitness Victory?

    We want to hear about it!

    So let's hear your fitness Victory this week! Don't forget to upvote your favorite Victories!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Your single leg exercises that are effective given low-moderate dumbbell weights?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 10:00 PM PDT

    For me, they have been:

    -Bulgarian split squats

    -Lying down hamstring curls (placing DB between feet)

    -Reverse lunges

    I am looking for more suggestions to enhance the variety!

    I know of goblet squats and other variations, but they seem to be a bit too easy given with the amount of weights I have for such bilateral movements. However, i think a lower limitation of weights are good for dem unilateral exercises.

    What do you guys do?

    submitted by /u/zxblood123
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 26, 2020

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Stomach vacuum

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 10:16 PM PDT

    Is it normal to feel out of breath while doing them? I've been doing 3 sets of 20 seconds in the morning before food for a couple weeks. Is this a good starting point ?

    submitted by /u/HoldenCaulfield0114
    [link] [comments]

    My body composition and where do I go from here

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 03:29 AM PDT

    I'm female, 29. I've been VERY sedentary these past three years (desk job, working from home for as much as 10+ hours a day - yes, I'm a bit of workaholic) and let myself go pretty badly. Most days I walk less then 2000-3000 steps a day, according to my Mi Band and have no exercise.

    My diet is not great, but not terrible either - I eat pretty much everything, in moderate portions, but my breakfasts and evening meals are mostly (white) bread-based. Meat and vegetables / soups for dinners. I avoid desserts. Junk food / crisps maybe twice a month.

    I drink only water, coffee (with 1,5% milk) and tea (no sugar). Some alcohol once a week (wine) and alcohol free beer - I admit I can drink up to 3 cans a week of it in spring/summer.

    I have a body composition scale and I know it may not be very accurate, but my data is as follows:

    Height : 168 cm, Weight: 77,55, Body fat: 38%, Muscle: 58%, Bone mass: 4%

    The app tells me my protein (13,9%) and water levels (43,8%) are insufficient (but the latter may be because I weigh myself first thing in the morning?)

    This past week I've done a 45 minute fitness routine three times (in about 80%, I'm not fit enough to do all of the reps) and went for two long walks (about 8 km) and believe it or not - I've already see my body looking better: less cellulite on my thighs and bottom (my thickest parts), flatter stomach and I've been told my face looks thinner. The app claims I burnt 200g of fat during this week. I intend to continue the above, with some cycling instead of walking (running is out of question - I have some joint problems).

    Am I correct thinking my main problem is not enough exercise? My body seems to respond very quickly when I start to do something. Last year I was walking for 6-10km 5 times a week for about a month and my body got noticeably leaner (although there were no changes in my weight).

    As for my diet - maybe I should cut down on bread? And what's the best way to add more protein to my diet if I already eat quite a lot of lean meat? I don't like fish and am lactose intolerant, so have to avoid dairy (there are not many lactose-free products available in my area).

    I'll be grateful for any tips!

    submitted by /u/l4p_r4t
    [link] [comments]

    Do wait trainers carry any benefit?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 03:10 AM PDT

    I want to be slimmer and I read that if you wear a waist trainer it helps with the mindset of staying healthy & has other benefits but do you guys agree?

    submitted by /u/jeminimoon
    [link] [comments]

    Uneven waist, HELP

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    So first I'm totally a beginner in this fitness thing and I really need some help. I've been doing Chloe ting's small waist plank work out challenge for about two weeks now and it really worked, on the left side. It's not like in the right side it didn't work but it's pretty much visible the difference between each side. Can someone explain why this is happening or what I might be doing wrong?

    submitted by /u/clod3863
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment dweller question. How to setup squat rack out of back of truck.

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 08:38 AM PDT

    Gyms are closed and even if they reopen soon I don't want to go back quite yet. I can't lift in my apartment but I do have a truck and a covered parking spot.

    Anyone have a squat setup that can pull out of the pickup bed and secure in place? I don't mind keeping everything in the back of my truck but would like something that folds out easily.

    submitted by /u/Reddevil313
    [link] [comments]

    Did my first workout yesterday, I have sore muscles now, should I workout again today?

    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 02:41 AM PDT

    Title basically says it. I decided to start working out and did some stuff yesterday I found on the internet. Basically some workout to do every morning to lose fat gain muscle. And I am wondering is it ok to workout again today or should i wait until my muscles arent sore?

    submitted by /u/lincoooln
    [link] [comments]

    Fitness 101 book?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 10:29 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    does anyone have a book recommendation covering fitness basics (how to split workouts, rest days) and eating habits (when to eat what - carbs/protein before/after workout) for muscle growth?

    I do not want to be a body builder and it does not need to contain workout plans or recipes. I just want to have a basic understanding of the body to optimize results and avoid I am doing sth completely wrong with my current workouts.

    Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/weschmann
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to stop my hands from hurting so damn much?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 09:53 PM PDT

    Every time I do bicep curls with my dumbbells my hands just strain itself not allowing me to do as many reps as I should be able to do. My hands just hurt if I do more than 6 curls at a time. Is there anyway to stop this?

    submitted by /u/anonymous_guy_bruh
    [link] [comments]

    Dip belt on single leg exercises (to make it harder)

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 05:45 PM PDT

    Hi guys due to iso, I have a dip belt and a few dumbbells and weight plates (low number though).

    I was thinking I can strap the dip belt higher on my ribs or chest even and attach the extra dumbbell somehow to make it a harder exercise on things like lunges and Bulgarian split squats.

    Would this be okay?

    submitted by /u/zxblood123
    [link] [comments]

    Need to achieve below 16 min 2 Mile

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 05:17 PM PDT

    I've been doing C25K, currently on week three. Some days I do my own "program" which is generally a walking mile (16 minutes) and a running/walking mile (12 minutes) and a cool down mile (20 minutes). My current time is over twenty minutes for two mile run (and I can't fully run all of it). I do a daily routine of lunges, side steps, squats as well (among other workouts besides legs/cardio) I'm trying to get a sub 16 minute 2 mile time for my army OCS application.

    Edit to add- I'm female, 5 ft tall, ~110lbs

    Tips? Advice? Am I running too fast and wearing myself out- I noticed my heart rate when running is 180-200. I read on here it should be 180-my age which would be well below that heart rate.

    submitted by /u/Maverick_mca
    [link] [comments]

    which cambered bar ?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 08:44 PM PDT

    i usually dumbell press but aint got no dumbells
    dont like to press on the straight bar, feels uncomfortable in the anterior shoulder area, but i do it, no pain after.

    https://www.elitefts.com/cambered-swiss-bar.html https://www.blackwidowtg.com/Swiss_Bar_Football_Bar_p/bar-camberedswiss.htm

    the idea of the curve seems good to increase range of motion, i usually drop dumbells lower than a straight barbell would be.

    but my question if someone knows - the straight grip vs angled grips on these specialized barbells, what feels better ? ...tho probably even getting 2 barbells would be cheaper than a set of dumbells (with normal retail prices)

    submitted by /u/p90036
    [link] [comments]

    Am I missing something if 5/3/1 BBB takes nearly an hour?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 03:51 PM PDT

    I'm doing 5/3/1 BBB while on a slow cut (39yo M, 170 lb aiming for 160 lb). I expect that my progress in the numbers will be much slower while cutting, so that's fine for now.

    But my snag right now is that this "short" workout is taking me too long.

    So day 1 of week 1, I do 5/5/5 of overhead press, then 12/11/10/9/8 on bench press at 60% TM, but this takes me 45 minutes. Then I do 25 chin ups and 25 rows, and that goes rather fast. It seems to me the first two exercises shouldn't take so long. Clearly I'm taking too much rest in between sets (3-4 minutes or so), but if I try to shorten this, I find I get to failure too soon and instead of 12/11/10/9/8, I end up with something like 12/9/8/7/6/5/3 to get 50 bench press reps in, which takes even more time.

    This pattern holds true also on the other three days, and applies to the main 5/3/1 lift as well as the 50 reps lift.

    Do I really need to reduce weight till 2-2.5 minutes rest is enough to get through it? Or is there something else I'm missing?

    I'd like to consider a template with a higher volume, but going to e.g. a bodybuilding template, I'm afraid it might take me an hour and half; so, instead, I'd like to get my BBB workout more efficient first.

    submitted by /u/NuancedThinker
    [link] [comments]

    Outgrowing jeans

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 10:54 PM PDT

    Hello I am planning on starting seriously working out but I'm curious to know how much of a pain in the ass it's gonna be to find and keep wearing fitted jeans. I only wear skinny jeans since that's the only thing that looks good on a skinny person, but when I start lifting I'm defiantly going to outgrow my current 28x34 jeans quick. But my worry is that even after my newbie gains I'm gonna keep outgrowing them every couple of months and have to buy new pairs, it sounds like a fucking pain in the ass. Is this true or is the gains I'm gonna get not that much?

    Also I've heard from some people that things like your ankles and wrists don't grow. That sounds like some Spider-Man ass bullshit now come on. If someone gets fat as fuck from skinny their wrists and ankles don't stay skinny they get a bunch of fat over them. I'm just asking because I honestly don't know but that just sounds fucking ridiculous that my wrists and ankles won't grow in proportion to the rest of my body.

    submitted by /u/MostDownvotedOnRebbi
    [link] [comments]

    What’s it feel like to be exceptionally strong, what have you learned that you wish you knew earlier when it comes to strength.

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 10:07 PM PDT

    I'm 6'3 200lbs. I haven't worked out since high school but wasn't as big as I am now. I weld and generally do a lot of labor so I'm not weak. I've been stronger but recently lost quite a bit when I quit my 72-80 hour week production welding job.

    I've been thinking about seriously getting into lifting as I built a lift rack about a year ago and haven't even set it up.

    I just want to know what it feels like to be exceptionally strong when it comes to day to day tasks or rather how much would being strong help me out during work.

    Provided my weight and height how can I use that to my advantage? When it comes to dieting I don't really have a clue other than eat vegetables and meat, stay away from sugar. I'm starting out with no bad habits so I'm trying to learn the right thing to do from the start. Routines provided all I have is a barbell and some dumbbells, how can I build strength fast? Like i asked in the title for the people who've achieved great strength, what do you wish you knew earlier? What are myths what is true?

    My primary goal is strength and to be honest flexibility is very important as well. I don't care about appearance but my unrelated preference is I wouldn't mind being bigger rather than 6 packs and defined.

    I appreciate any and all insight and will consider it greatly, thank you!

    submitted by /u/johnnymaryseed
    [link] [comments]

    Question about adjusting carbohydrates and protein macros

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 04:17 PM PDT

    Sorry for weirdly worded title, this kept on getting taken down.

    Is it worth it to continue a fitness and food challenge when I'm underweight and young?

    I'm doing a fitness challenge that involves doing a pretty thought HIIT workout every weekday, and has a high protein diet, low carb diet.

    I'm pretty underweight, as well as just a teenager so idk if I should keep going on the diet part. I've already lost a few pounds, and my goal is to gain a bit of weight. It says not to eat/drink fast food, cheese, fried food, soda, ice cream, candy, dairy (I've been drinking a little milk), etc. I've pretty much only been eating fruits, vegetables, some rice, chicken, steak, and salmon. I've been constantly hungry no matter how much I eat.

    I guess my question is should I stop doing the diet? Should I continue following the diet but allow myself to eat certain things like cheese and bread?

    I'll continue doing the workouts no matter what since their is no downside to that.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Jctilton03
    [link] [comments]

    is neck fat easy to lose?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 09:56 PM PDT

    found that i'd gained a couple LBs during this quarantine, wonderin if neck fat is easy to lose? (through diet + excercise)

    submitted by /u/randyBONK
    [link] [comments]

    Sprinting AND jogging.

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 03:34 PM PDT

    Today I went my first jog since leaving the army 9 months ago. My aim is to lose weight and I read that sprinting is better for this. Doing 30 second interval sprinting. But I was wondering if I could do a jog one day then sprinting the next and so on. Is this safe and and a good way to lose weight. I am a 21 year old male and about 190lbs. Cheers!

    submitted by /u/I-Fuck-Ewoks
    [link] [comments]

    Good leg exercises with a weak back?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 04:22 PM PDT

    So I am trying to start working out, only problem is I have a very weak back due to wearing stilts in high school plays for a few years and it has led to a very weak back.

    It seems no matter what leg exercises I try, I can't do because of my back. Any suggestions on what exercises to do, or how to strength my back?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Sebastian83100
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment