• Breaking News

    Saturday, April 4, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 04, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 04, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 04, 2020

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I lost roughly 12kg(26lbs) due to sickness. What's a realistic time table to gain it back?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 12:52 AM PDT

    M34, 176lbs(down from 205lbs), 6'2, lifelong athlete but only ~3 years of proper gym experience.

    I managed to get a nasty case of pneumonia a month ago, got sick as hell and lost roughly 12kg in the first 2-3 weeks. I'm doing better now and my weight is stabilized, but still won't be able to start training for another few weeks. And I have to take it real slow in the beginning.

    I know some of it has to be water weight, but there's got to be some muscle loss there because I'm absolutely tiny. Clothes just hang off my frame like I'm a small boy trying out my father's clothes. Sleeves that were previously filled out now flutter around my sad skeleton arms.

    Assuming I have access to proper gym equipment a few weeks from now, and my diet and programming is on point, what kind of time am I looking at here for gaining my mass back?

    submitted by /u/solbraend
    [link] [comments]

    Can you consider sprint training a break day (gym)?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2020 02:13 PM PDT

    I gym 2 days in a row and on the 3rd day I spend time doing sprint training (plus core to finish)

    Can I consider my sprint training day as a break or do I need to fully dedicate a day to doing nothing?

    submitted by /u/Athyriel
    [link] [comments]

    Is there anywhere left to buy adjustable dumbbells online for < 2x mark-up?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2020 11:49 PM PDT

    I used to go to a gym that had Powerblock adjustable dumbbells. They worked pretty well. I'm trying to buy something similar for my home (Bay Area) but I'm having trouble -- Amazon is sold out, the Powerblock website is sold out, Walmart is sold out, Dick's is sold out, eBay is not sold out but everything is marked up 2-5x ($1.5k+ for 90 lb dumbbells).

    Can anyone recommend somewhere?

    submitted by /u/capitalsigma
    [link] [comments]

    Gym Story Saturday

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 12:17 AM PDT

    Hi! Welcome to your weekly thread where you can tell your gym tales!

    submitted by /u/FGC_Valhalla
    [link] [comments]

    How important is having a "goal" for your fitness journey?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2020 11:47 PM PDT

    I am not looking to lose a certain specific amount of weight, but I like the idea of my body occupying less real estate. My general goals are flexibility, stamina, endurance and strength, but because I do bodyweight exercises my goals tend to be more what move I can do which I haven't done before as opposed to how much I can lift or how fast I can run.

    I feel like this casual approach is stunting my progress somewhat, because I am not working towards anything. I can't say "I want to reach 60 kilos" because in the past 10 years, I never reached that weight without some bad health defects accompanying it (hair falling out etc). Therefore I do not have a quantifiable goal to work towards, though everybody seems to have one, and it gets demotivating when you realize your fitness "goals" are overall very vague terms.

    submitted by /u/Lattika
    [link] [comments]

    Self-Promotion Saturday

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Self-Promotion Saturday

    This thread will serve as a weekly AutoModerator post, for anyone looking to get exposure for their Instagram, Youtube, blogspot, RedditMade, Kickstarter, TeeSpring, MySpace, AOL, stand-alone website, or stand-alone physical product.

    This post is the one time where people can advertise without repercussions, and the one thread when anything goes. All other advertisements will continue to be removed as per Rule #8.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Monthly Apps, Gadgets and Gear Megathread!

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Monthly Apps, Gadgets and Gear Megathread!

    This thread is for sharing fitness related apps, technological gadgets, and training gear that you've found helpful for your fitness goals.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    M/22/179 Advice/Guidance on Diet, Workout, and aesthetic.

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 02:26 AM PDT

    Ive been lurking on this reddit for about 2 years now, and I've exhausted all my search resouses. Could really use some advice or Guidance. Brief Training history. I have always been some sort of athletic, whether it was just calisthenics, or cardio, but starting May of 2018, I was deployed and had nothing but time to bulk. I weighed in at about 150 lbs when I first left, and after 2 months of consistent weight training and focusing on caloric intake, I had gained 20 lbs. After that, I've just been maintaining and battling on finding diets, and workouts to help with my aesthetic.

    When I weighed in at about 173ish, I started the 5/3/1 and got all my major lifts up by a pretty big deficit. I was able to change my 3RM on bench from 190, to 225 and that was a pretty great feat.

    After some time in the gym, and just watching and learning how everyone has different approaches to lifting, I learned that I could have had a more lean bulk, which would've resulted with my body looking more cut and aesthetically pleasing. I'm just asking for some advice and tips on where to start my nutritional journey and how to really increase strength while also working on my aesthetic. Thank you

    before and after pics

    TLDR: Asking for resources and help in how to get bigger and stronger while also looking aesthetically pleasing.

    submitted by /u/Wardrone0341
    [link] [comments]

    If I stopped weightlifting for legs and started running for at least 20 miles a week, would I still maintain my gains?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2020 11:50 PM PDT

    Not being able to go to the gym is not an excuse to not train legs anymore, so I still do. I've found myself running much more frequently now than when I went regularly to the gym, and that's mainly so that I can get out more. I know I could train legs with kettlebells at home or resistance bands, but I'd rather not if running frequently will produce the same results in terms of simply maintaining what I already have. I really enjoy running so I'd much prefer that.

    submitted by /u/dankmemesDAE
    [link] [comments]

    Hey! im 16 and i workout regularly, i have a problem though.

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 04:38 AM PDT

    So before my gym closed, i got this in-body which basically shows your fat percentages, muscle, weight, bmi and all that stuff.

    According to the inbody, my fat percentage is 13.7%, my muscle is 48.3% and my total weight is 67.6 kgs. 13.7% fat percentage isnt bad at all according to some, though, i do feel that i have way more fat around my butt and that i got a mad side belly though i look skinny. my height is 175 cm/5'9 ft if that matters.

    what is my point? i exercise regularly but my whole body shape never gets better, my lower body is quite strong but its rather chubby for some reason.

    enlighten me with your knowledge people :)

    submitted by /u/Purrpap
    [link] [comments]

    Strange tightness during curls - where pec and bicep meet

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 04:36 AM PDT

    Every time I perform curls, I experience cramping where my biceps and pecs insert; it feels like what I would call "tight armpits". It isn't painful, but very uncomfortable. I also don't experience great pumps training biceps. This tightness occurs equally in both armpits.

    In general my upper body strength is quite low compared to my lower - 150 OHP, 235 pause bench, 410 squat, 500 deadlift. Back and legs grow like weeds, arms and chest not so much.

    I am wondering if some type of mobility issue or injury is present, interfering with my progress and what I could possibly do to correct it? Normally I'd be asking the physio but we're all locked in and not sure where to turn to :( Has anyone had a similar experience?

    Thanks, hope you're all staying healthy.

    submitted by /u/mirko869
    [link] [comments]

    Can your glutes stay the same size if...

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 03:30 AM PDT

    So a few years ago (2017 to be exact), my hips were at 37 inches. Lately, I've been working on building my glutes & it actually does a lot bigger, firm, & lifted (as said so by friends). However, I measured my hips just now and I expected it to have grown at least 0.5-1 inches but still it was still 37 inches. Is this possible? To grow my glutes more effectively, should I add weights? What sort of exercises should I do with weights? Are there youtubers you can recommend to me?

    submitted by /u/k_wai
    [link] [comments]

    Good substitute/workaround for a bench (dumbbell press)?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 02:47 AM PDT

    Like many people I'm working out at home. Reasonably happy with my current routine. I have two dumbbell, a mat and for heavier weights I'm using 2-4 big bottles of water in bags to compensate for the lower weight dumbbells that I've had for years.

    Can't think of a good way to substitute a bench though. One idea is to lie on my bed and dangle my arms and top of my back over the end so I can get proper range of motion and feel it would be good for my core also.

    I just don't have anything bench-like in my house that I can think of. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Rekuna
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to reach to a single bf digit.

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 02:07 AM PDT

    I was lean bulking in the gym but we had a lockdown back two weeks ago and had no gym access , So I changed my plan to cutting currently I am @ 13% bf and I am doing HIIT running every other day while restricting my calories but my BF seems to be the same I noticed a bit of difference but I got stuck .

    I have been taking EGCG as well pre running . Any solutions?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Th3mish
    [link] [comments]

    Not activating chest muscles in bench?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 01:24 AM PDT

    I've been running greyskull lp for a few months now but I can't seem to properly "target" my chest muscles when I bench. It seems like I just get sore in my forearms and arms, but feel nothing in my chest when I bench. Also squatting makes my upper back (where i place the bar) sore but I don't feel taxed at all on my legs. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/Chochoiy
    [link] [comments]

    Squatting Technique and Range Problem

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 01:12 AM PDT

    I can leg press 250+ but as I go to actually squat I'm running into two problems. Hip Mobility and when I go to squat at say 90-100 degrees I end up just Plopping down and can't hold my weight in a real position.

    tldr how to perfect my squat form/strength

    submitted by /u/ithinktoomuch2019
    [link] [comments]

    Running Substitute

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 12:56 AM PDT

    I'm recently new to running, I've been running 2 miles everday for the past 3-4 months. However due to my country recently going into lockdown, I can't go to the park to run anymore. I've read up and learned that Skipping Rope is good Cardio too. So I was wondering if skipping rope could provide me the same calorie burn and health benefits of Running and if so, how long should I skip rope everday for my level? (Recently new to running and probably never skipped longer than 5 minutes) Thankss

    submitted by /u/LukewarmSundae
    [link] [comments]

    Why can't I feel my chest?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2020 12:43 AM PDT

    Like I was doing supersets of different kinds of push ups and dips

    And my triceps were about to break but my chest barely felt anything

    It's just not the same as bench press or chest press

    Is there anything I'm doing wrong perhaps form or something because my triceps were bout to break but it's the opposite with chest.

    submitted by /u/Tenno_agent
    [link] [comments]

    My TARGET is to gain 10 lbs of muscle and burn 5 lbs of body fat in 60 days

    Posted: 03 Apr 2020 11:10 PM PDT

    Hello.

    I'm male, 19 years old, 178-180 lbs. My body fat percentage (I believe) is between 19-22%.

    My target is to gain 10 lbs of muscle and burn 5 lbs of body fat by summer time... which is about 60 days away from today. I have just begun weightlifting and body weight exercises after lengthy online research about the science of body recomposition.

    Every day, I consume between 2800-3200 calories. About 40% is protein, 30% fat and 30% carbohydrates.

    No soda, no fast food, minimally processed foods and little to no refined carbs.

    My diet consists of grilled chicken, eggs, broccoli, salmon, Ezekiel bread, whey isolate protein shakes and mixed vegetables/fruits, peanut butter and avocado.

    I perform a 60-90 work-out every day (except one weekly rest day), which includes stretching and a warm-up routine. This is my second week of "bulking" and I've already noticed increased strength lifting weights and with push-ups, pull-ups, chin-ups, etc.

    Is this all correct? Is my goal approach to caloric intake practical?

    If anybody with more experience or knowledge (which is almost every other person) has any advice or information to share, I'd love to hear it.

    submitted by /u/omniarnold
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment