• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 22, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 22, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 22, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 22, 2020

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Should fat people do strength training if they are not able to do cardio?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 02:19 AM PDT

    So I have been living a sedentary life for about 2 and a half years now. I completely destroyed my health, spent time eating lots of junk and lying on the bed.

    I gained a lot of weight while losing my strength and stamina. I decided to fix my health about a month ago and I started taking less calories while trying to run. During my running sessions I get tired real quick, my body aches and I don't last more than 3 minutes at medium speed. I tried speed walking but my legs give up and they hurt for days. The same is not true for lifting.

    I thought that maybe it has something do with my strength. Should I just lift weights and do other exercises before getting to cardio so it gets a little bit easier?

    submitted by /u/Pervyajmal
    [link] [comments]

    Is it bad to only do “easy runs”?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 10:06 AM PDT

    I find that I only really enjoy and can get lost in thought if I run at a very relaxed pace and have my heart rate in the 120bpm-135 bpm zone. Is doing long runs (3-8 miles) in this range 3 times a week enough cardio? Should I also include HIIT or tempo runs with higher heart rate?

    submitted by /u/mcnuggetlenny
    [link] [comments]

    Rant Wednesday

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Rant Wednesday: It's your time to let your gym/fitness/nutrition related frustrations out!

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    5'3 18 y/o female wishing to build a masculine physique

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 07:17 PM PDT

    Hello! First of all I'm new to this subreddit so excuse my ignorance in fitness related subjects

    I've never been interested in any sports, all I did for a long time was running, and not even that much. I only did some mild workouts and that's it. Despite how little I moved I've always had a good physique due to my quick metabolysm (and probably genetics). However, one week into quarantine had made me return to exercise due to my body feeling sore. At first it was very calm, but two weeks ago I decided to go for a consistent, intensive work out routine.

    Turns out, I've been wanting to build a masculine body figure for some time. As a tomboy trying to fit in masculine clothes when my body is so petite, or looking at the mirror and see those femenine curves really discourages me.

    I don't hate my "female" self but I really, really wish to make my body look more masculine and I'm willing to work hard for it. When I say masculine I don't mean above average male physique (I'm already too short for that unfortunately), with just having straighter legs and bigger shoulders, a boyish look would satisfy me. I already have an slim body, there is just a little fat in my side and inner thighs and a bit on my hips. I wouldn't like to bulk up my legs, just reduce this fat and straighten those curves. My bone structure is small so my back and shoulders look really small (I can't even fit in S size for women) so I want to build a bigger, stronger back and hopefully some shoulders to support my looser clothes. My arms are ok, but I want to gain strenght, and my abs are also toned but I want a more defined 6 pack.

    Going back to the routine I do, I exercise 1 hour and 10 mins 6 times a week, doing a combination of HIIT, cardio and weighs with a 4kg dumbell (I'm too weak yet to use the other one but I will eventually get to use both) with routines I saw on youtube videos. 5 minute warm up, 10 min for abs, 10 for back, 10 for arms, 15 for legs and 7 for fullbody weighs, then a cool down. I have no idea about my calories intake but it rounds in 2000 kcal, I have mantained my weigh for a long time and eat healthy (with quite a lot of meat too).

    My main question would be, what types of exercises do you think will help me hit my goal? Do you think it is possible for me to build muscle that way without looking too femenine? I really don't want to rely on steroids or hormones, those are a no no for me.

    Thank you everyone in advance! And sorry if my questions are dumb haha

    submitted by /u/Twinseok
    [link] [comments]

    Can one do circuit bodyweights every day?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 06:11 AM PDT

    Hey there! Its me again, here is a circuit I made and have been following for a few days now. I dont know what to do with it, I know a lot of improvements can be made although I can feel it working for me.

    From what I have read, I need 48 hours of rest after a workout. This workout has indeed tired me but the soreness is going away, so do I still need that 48 hours? Also, what other "no-equipment" bodyweight exercises would you recommend? I was thinking of having another set of workout that works the muscles not listed here and do them alternately. What do you think? I need help!

    Jumping jacks (Warm up) Pushups (Chest, shoulder, bicep) Planks (Core) Pelvic thrusts (Glutes) Dead bug (Core) Squats (Thigh) Calf raises (Calfs) Bicycle crunch (Core) Elevated dips (Tricep, shoulder) Superman (Back)

    submitted by /u/Joshywawawa
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner runner, 5km 31.56 - how do I proceed from here?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 09:11 AM PDT

    I have just started running recently due my country being in lockdown and gyms being closed / rugby training being cancelled. Before this week I have never gone on a run. Now, I have played rugby at quite a high club level, and of course do fitness training down there. However that has now been cancelled for about two months and I haven't done any physical exercise since.

    Three days ago I ran my first ever 5km in 31:56, 6:19 Avg Pace per/km. I walked periodically during this run as the gradient was extremely steep at times. My fastest split was 5:11 which was my last kilometre when I kicked. And my slowest 7:26 (I had walked to catch my breath here between two steep hills).

    Yesterday, I decided as my body was quite sore to set out on a 2km run, I ran this in 10:02, 5:01 Avg pace per/km, with my fastest split being 4:36.

    Also yesterday evening, the previous run had loosened up my body so I decided to set out for another 3km run with the idea of running much slower, however once I was out I didn't seem to tire at all and ended up running 7.29km in 50:55, with 6:58 avg pace/km and a elevation gain of 75m. My fastest split was 6:15, although they were all reasonably even.

    During that 7.29km run, I felt like I could run at that pace forever. When I was on the home stretch I kept taking turns leading away from my house to prolong the run.

    My question is, how do I continue from here? My goals are to eventually run a 25 minute 5km. I am thinking I will do that with a mix of fast 2km runs, longer slower 10m runs, and the occasional 5km with about 25 kilometres being ran per week. Today, my hips are quite sore although I am hoping to go for a run later this evening.

    How many kilometres should I be running per week? What kind of splits should I be aiming for?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Gainsbraah
    [link] [comments]

    Is it alright to do one set of barbell squats almost everyday?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 04:27 AM PDT

    I have uneven legs, one is structurally longer by 3/4 of an inch, so I tend to be uncomfortable with barbell squats. However, I intend to master my form and become more stable with them. Would it be ok to do just a single set of barbell squats with medium-light weight for, let's say, 5 times a week and even on non-leg days?

    submitted by /u/mcsalts99
    [link] [comments]

    Seated OHP back support

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 02:28 PM PDT

    Is there any benefit to doing a seated OHP/military press on a flat bench versus an adjustable bench with the back support? I've look high and low and I only can find comparisons of the seated OHP vs the standing press.

    I have an old adjustable bench that I want to upgrade to high quality flat bench. I lift in my basement and the ceiling height limits me to only seated over head presses. I've done it both ways just wonder if there's any science or hard facts about the benefits of either.

    submitted by /u/fuzz781
    [link] [comments]

    i jus added punching to my regular (every 3rd day) workout routine. thts?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 03:17 AM PDT

    my normal routine included pushups, dumbbell lifts and situps, sometimes.

    but i find the punching added makes it really really intense.

    submitted by /u/itsyourboiinilu
    [link] [comments]

    Is trx a good suplement for jumping rope?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 03:14 AM PDT

    I've been jumping rope for a month now and I'm a bit afraid of loosing muscle mass because i dont realy do anything besides push-ups and squats, and jumpring rope is cardeo, which is linked to losing muscle mass.

    Is trx something that wold prevent this muscle loss or even allow me to gain muscle?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/ImDoinThisForSchool
    [link] [comments]

    Is once a week of cardio enough if I walk alot at my job?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 02:18 PM PDT

    I started a new job where I walk..... Alot. Like 30-35000 steps a day equivalent to roughly 10-15 miles a day. I wouldnt mind doing cardio after work but by the time im off my feet feel destroyed and i dont think i have the pain tolerance to continue after work. Would doing one session on my off days be good enough to reap the benefits of elevated heartrate combined with all the walking i do?

    submitted by /u/stone____
    [link] [comments]

    Issue with getting in position for Flat DB Press using Screw-on Adjustable DBs

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 09:01 PM PDT

    I recently picked up a bench and some adjustable dumb bells so I can lift in my garage during the quarantine. They're great, but I've been struggling while using the DBs to bench press as the ends of the screw-on DBs dig into my legs as I get in position for the press, as well as coming out of the flat press position. Does anyone have any suggestions on an alternate method that might spare my thighs?

    This is how the dumbbells look: http://www.atlasfitgym.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1200x1200/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/7/1/71jqh9xhn3l._sl1500_.jpg

    submitted by /u/jolliestbee
    [link] [comments]

    Time to start a maintenance phase after 12 week deficit?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 11:34 AM PDT

    I've been working on my fitness and healthy eating since January 27, so essentially a full 12 weeks.

    I started at around 163 - 165ish lbs. At first, I was only focusing on diet, and was eating around 1200 calories a day. But as I increased my physical activity, I started to consume more calories because I was just getting voraciously hungry and this was leading to binges, bad sleeping, and weak workouts. I'm currently eating around 1700 cal a day and weigh about 150 lbs (- 15lbs). I've also definitely seen gains in muscle mass and losses in body fat, but I'm still not at the body fat percentage I'd like to be and I feel like I am stalling because I've been sitting here for a few weeks now. Also, despite increasing my calories, I'm still feeling hungry ALL THE TIME. Workouts involve a mix of cardio and dumbbell/bodyweight strength training. Right now, TDEE calculators put me anywhere between 1900 - 2200 calories a day. So, I'm still eating at a deficit, but I'm stalling regarding weight loss and so, so, so hungry all of the time. I eat relatively clean - almost no processed/snack food, lower carb but high in protein and healthy fats (fish, etc.)

    I've read through the wiki for this sub and some other resources, and I'm wondering if I should start a maintenance phase where I up my calories to maybe about 2100. I'm really worried I'm going to gain weight (even though its maintenance). I'm also not sure if I should modify my workouts - less cardio, more strength? more strength, less cardio? My ultimate goal is body re-composition, I don't care as much about the weight, but I do care about my body fat percentage. Any resources or advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/jfireshot6
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling with my ab workouts

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 07:03 AM PDT

    I am struggling to do a simple ab crunch, each time I try my feet just lift off the floor and then I can't pull myself any higher unless I straighten my legs and don't let them touch the floor. Can someone give me some pointers as to how I can train my crunches. My current workout is:

    • Ab crunch (I lift my shoulders and raise up to around my mid back) 45 seconds
    • Oblique crunch (left & right) 45 secs each side
    • Reverse crunch with straight legs 45 secs
    • Side crunch (left & right) 45 secs each side
    • Bicycle crunch 45 secs I try to do about 3 sets of these every other day. Along with my arm training and pec training. The other days between my workouts I do a 5 km run.

    Please help me improve my workouts and if you could help me build a kind of structure to my dietary it would all be greatly appreciated :).

    Edit: I will try all your suggestions and tell you which one worked best for me. :)

    submitted by /u/DawnedTides
    [link] [comments]

    Making longer runs less boring?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 12:06 PM PDT

    I've recently gotten back into running since I have to work from home now. I'd really like to get up to running a 10k. At the moment my routine is running 3-4 days a week around my block; each lap is 3/4 a mile, so I'll do 3-4 laps around. If I'm wanting to get to that 10k eventually, do you have any advice for mentally doing these runs? I feel like by a couple miles, I'm bored and just trying to push myself to finish. Perhaps I can find different routes beyond my block?

    submitted by /u/masterz13
    [link] [comments]

    My right dominant shoulder / trap is higher and more noticable when I flex. I am also thinking this may be related to other issues I've had on the past. What can i do to correct this?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 10:27 AM PDT

    I've had multiple MRIs and Xrays over the year and I'm told "structurally" there is nothing wrong with me. What could lead to my dominant shoulder being higher and how can I fix this?

    As of now I do daily back and trap exercises (with resistance bands).

    Edit: The only person who ever mentioned it was a girlfriend from years ago. She said "do you realize your right shoulder is higher?". No one else. But other recent issues and imbalances have caused me to look for solutions. And after remembering that comment I went ahead and tried to focus on it more. Once you look for it in a mirror or pic, it's very obvious.

    Doctors and PTs have never mentioned it before.

    submitted by /u/steamin661
    [link] [comments]

    Fitness for marching band?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 05:04 PM PDT

    I am interested in marching in the drumline in my schools marching band, however I am very small for my age, and do not have the strength to wear a heavy drum and march around all summer. Does anybody have any tips or recommendations to help me get in shape enough for wearing a drum to not be as much of a problem?

    submitted by /u/TheOnionBeast
    [link] [comments]

    Dumbbell High Pulls for Trap Hypertrophy

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 04:05 PM PDT

    I used to do snatch grip high pulls before the gyms closed and I really developed my traps but right now all I have is an adjustable dumbbell and weights totalling up to about 70 lbs so simple shrugs aren't that good of an alternative.Are single-arm dumbbell high pulls a good alternative?

    submitted by /u/gsmaragdakis
    [link] [comments]

    Is working out an hour before bed bad?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 11:10 AM PDT

    Is working out an hour before bed bad?

    So I have just started working out and I like to do an ab challenge workout at about 7PMwhich takes about 15 minutes, but at about 11pm I also like doing arm workouts which is when I have time to workout properly so I do that for about 25 minutes. Is this a bad time to workout? Doing an ab workout and arm workout together is too much for me! Have to say I haven't been eating that great at around 11pm but I could change that.

    submitted by /u/GreekgodxisObese
    [link] [comments]

    Thicker bar vs less thicker bar for deadlifts

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 06:24 PM PDT

    Dear fitness community,

    Recently I had the opportunity to use my friend's home gym which allows me to deadlift using the safety bars of the squat rack. However, the bar that I'm using is thicker and 20kg than the ones I'm used to at the gym 15kg.

    About a month ago, I was able to deadlift 303x6.

    Today at my friends home gym, I was only able to deadlift 280x3. I don't think it's my strength that degraded that fast. I've been doing pretty intensive workouts during that 1 month time frame. I think it is due to the bar being thicker than usual. I have relatively small fingers and a small hand so that might affect me more than others.

    Therefore, should I continue using the thicker bar? Will that make me stronger in the end since the deadlift is harder? Will more muscles be recruited?

    Or since my grip is the limiting factor for such bars, should I use straps and continue from what I was able to deadlift?

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Montarvo
    [link] [comments]

    Having trouble counting calories for popcorns

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 02:08 PM PDT

    Hey so I have a question, I bought orville redenbacher ultimate butter microwavable popcorn recently and I had some questions regarding its label, so it says per serving the calories are 160 and per bag there are 2.5 servings, so have i right to assume that the whole bag of popcorn has about 400 calories?

    submitted by /u/Jbentansan
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment