• Breaking News

    Saturday, April 18, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 18, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 18, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 18, 2020

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Gym Story Saturday

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 12:16 AM PDT

    Hi! Welcome to your weekly thread where you can share your gym tales!

    submitted by /u/FGC_Valhalla
    [link] [comments]

    My performance at the gym has got worse

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 04:03 AM PDT

    I've been training at the gym for 8 months, but over time my attitude towards training has got significantly worse.

    I train at the gym 3 times a week. The rest of the week is filled with cardio, which doesn't bother me as much as lifting weights. When I began training months ago I was happy whenever I started my workout. My problem is that now every day at the gym feels exactly the same. When I go the gym (rather force myself to go), I feel lazy, as if I just woke up from a 10h sleep. I do my first exercise, which is squats, very slowly. I somehow manage pick up the pace during training so the last exercise isn't as slow.

    Why does that happen? I used to enjoy training, but now I feel like I can barely go and lift any weights.

    submitted by /u/Emilos846
    [link] [comments]

    What next??

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 03:41 AM PDT

    Hello! I am trying to get a little bit more muscle and define it but I am not sure exactly where to start.

    For the past years I have been struggling to lose weight which I consider accomplished. That being said I ve been going to the gymfor 5 years now but I ve had some huge breaks in between. At the moment I went 4 times a week for a year and right now I am having a break with this quarantine but I am working out at home. I am almost 19 I am 185 cm tall and weigh 76 kg

    My question is.. Am I supposed to bulk and cut or lean bulk or what exactly I am confused??

    I dont really know what to do.. a little bit of help could be appreciated.

    Thank you in advance!

    I have also started to gain some weight the last months for some reason. Here are some pictures to what I looked like in december (72kg) and now (76kg).

    https://imgur.com/a/kraiX44

    submitted by /u/KoraIy
    [link] [comments]

    Noobie question about bulking.

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 03:42 AM PDT

    Hi, 16 year old male, 5'10 and 11.9 stone, currently on a cut and losing weight until i see fit (around visible abs level) and I'm wondering to what level should I bulk to? I'm fine with gaining fat as long as I gain muscle faster because I will just go on a cut again.

    I have access to gym equipment and I know my daily protein intake goal/diet.

    Just looking for advice as I see lean bulk/clean bulk/normal bulk and I just want to know which diet would be the most effective for someone my age.

    Cheers.

    submitted by /u/J7bzy
    [link] [comments]

    Self-Promotion Saturday

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Self-Promotion Saturday

    This thread will serve as a weekly AutoModerator post, for anyone looking to get exposure for their Instagram, Youtube, blogspot, RedditMade, Kickstarter, TeeSpring, MySpace, AOL, stand-alone website, or stand-alone physical product.

    This post is the one time where people can advertise without repercussions, and the one thread when anything goes. All other advertisements will continue to be removed as per Rule #8.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Body fat question

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 01:32 AM PDT

    So I'm going for a lean bulk and here are my numbers for about 2 and a half months. I'm a little under 0.5 a week but I've figured it out and now I'm consistently hitting 0.5 these last 2 weeks. My thing is it says I've gained 3.6 pounds and 0.9 of that was fat if I'm reading that correctly or it could be going off of my starting BF% of 11.6 to 12.5 which is what it is now. I'm hoping that's what it's doing because if I multiply 0.9 x the 3.6pds I've gained that means 3.24pds out of 3.6 I've gained is fat which is basically all of it which wouldn't make sense with my workout regime and diet. Then you see it says I gained 1.8pds of muscle mass so I'm not sure how to read these numbers if anyone can help me to understand.

    My diet is good it's 2770 to gain 0.5 a week. My protein is 150g and my fat is 100g so I'm hitting my minimums for the 2. I typically go over on protein because i enjoy it more and my carbs are typically at 250g or less as they don't matter as much as the other 2. I'm also 140pds 5"8

    https://imgur.com/a/lKPFCYJ

    https://imgur.com/a/rV9CTR2

    submitted by /u/Calikid32190
    [link] [comments]

    I went out biking yesterday. I pushed myself so hard that I started vocalising my breathing. Could that be bad for my health?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 01:31 AM PDT

    25M

    Basically every time I exhaled it was a straight up groan.

    It really helped me with my performance, however I would like to know if this could hurt me in some way.

    Could using my vocal cords constantly for a relatively long amount of time have side effects on my lungs, throat, larynx?

    I could feel a slight squeeze in my throat every time I exhaled which I think is because my vocal cords contract when I use them, meaning that it felt like the air was leaving my lungs/throat slower than usual.

    submitted by /u/myvirginityisstrong
    [link] [comments]

    help with jogging/running? ��‍♀️

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 12:04 AM PDT

    whenever i go for a jog, i drink like half a cup of water prior. but after a few minutes i get pain in my abdomen!!! how can i help this? also what is a good posture to maintain during jogging? does tightening your core and moving arms help? do i raise my legs higher?

    submitted by /u/peeled-oranges
    [link] [comments]

    How much calories should I be in taking for bulking?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 11:04 PM PDT

    I've been cutting calories for a while and now I decided to start bulking. I use my fitness pal to track my calories. Should I strive to try to gain 1 pound of muscle a week or 0.5 pounds a week? To gain 1 pound a week I need to be eating 2,700 a day but with the 0.5, it says I should be eating 2,500 a day. I need some advice here since I don't really want to start gaining fat since if I try to achieve gaining a pound a week. But I also wanna make sure I'm eating the right amount so I can actually gain muscle.

    (Btw I'm 16, but I can't use My Fitness Pal unless I'm 18 so I was wondering if the data is messed up by any chance do to my age)

    submitted by /u/iamangelo1207
    [link] [comments]

    Focusing on a weak body part

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 04:37 PM PDT

    My upper body is a lot more developed than the lower. Will doing maintenance work for the push and pull muscles (something like once a week instead of two times) while working legs regularly provide better results, in terms of pure hypertrophy for the legs, than working all muscles evenly? Now obviously a better balance will be achieved with the first method, but I'm strictly asking about the difference in leg gains. The idea behind this is that the legs might grow more with the first method because the body will be a lot more concentrated purely on their growth, all the while stagnating the growth of the upper body, but at the same time it sounds stupid and I'm not sure what to do.

    submitted by /u/Bufik2
    [link] [comments]

    Having a small frame is nearly if not just as worse as being short. Anyone else feel this way?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 02:00 AM PDT

    Male, 16, 175 cm, and have a small frame.From what I've learned, being tall and having a small frame acceptable, while being relatively short and small framed is possibly the worst starting point one looking to improve himself could have. I have 6 inch flat wrists, plus small hands and feet. I do work out and eat sumptuously, but it feels like no matter what I do, I am indefinitely limited by my bones. I find myself walking around class comparing my wrist size to everyone around me, and I genuinely do not think I have met or seen anyone, besides toddlers, with smaller wrists than mine.

    Q:

    I've heard some grip strengtheners can increase the circumference of a wrist by about a centimeter, is that well grounded in factuality?

    submitted by /u/Islamic_hood
    [link] [comments]

    Should I keep or give away my standard bars and weights?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 05:31 PM PDT

    A few months ago I scored some weights on Freecycle and ended up with full sets of standard and olympic bars and weights. After messing around with some different routines I started doing the starter routine from the wiki and am now at the point where all of my lifts are heavy enough I can use the olympic barbell, except for the overhead press and I'm using dumbbells for that.

    I like the compound lifts that are in the routine but I'm still a total noob to lifting so I'm wondering, is there a reason to keep the lighter bars around? Are there lifts that can only be done with a barbell and not dumbbells?

    If it matters - I have a barbell, curl bar, and 2 dumbbell bars plus plenty of weights in each set. I'm thinking about offering the standard set to my mom and brother.

    EDIT: I'm not looking to profit off of the weights since I got them from Freecycle. I'm just wondering if there's an advantage to keeping them around or if it's time to find them a new home.

    submitted by /u/AloneIndication
    [link] [comments]

    Astaxanthin for pre workout?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 11:43 PM PDT

    Astaxanthin is an antioxidant that has incredibly strong anti-inflammatory effects. Some people call it the fountain of youth. Athletes say it gives them super human endurance. I also read that it may lower testosterone and harm libido. I can't decide whether or not to take it. Does anyone know anything else about it? Note I am also taking creatine, ginseng, whey protein and citrulline malate pre workout and cbd and turmeric post workout.

    submitted by /u/Smillay
    [link] [comments]

    Between GtG and weightlifting. I'm wondering if it's a good idea and how the results will be.

    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 08:29 AM PDT

    Alright. So I'm very familiar with Greasing the Groove, or at least the idea behind it. I used to do it on my deployments because of my PT test. I'm pretty convinced that really the only way to he able to do more pushups is to do more pushups. I found myself starting with 15 every hour on the hour, and adding 5 every week until I pretty much plateaued at 55 every hour. Some times I wouldn't add 5 from the week before. I was really paying attention to my body, and when I finally took my test months after I started, I was able to bang out 80 easily. My strength increased no problem.

    Now with everything going on, I'm stuck at home, which is a bummer because I was really getting into a good powerlifting routine. I'm wanting to keep some semblance of that routine, essentially doing the big 3 + shoulder presses and assistance work, but with the limited resources I have.

    I've started a modified routine that incorporates lifting and greasing the groove. I don't have any weights at home, but I do have packages of vinyl floor planks that are about 20 pounds each. Essentially my routine looks somewhat like this:

    Grease the Groove. I do one set every hour on the hour for about 8 hours. Each set is 15 reps.

    Monday: Pushups. Will most likely do 15 until I'm comfortable doing more, and stop at 35. There's a technique I learned in the military where you do 7 sets of 5 different pushup forms that's supposed to really build your arms and chest. I wanna get there. Debating adding in bench presses with my vinyl planks

    Tuesday: Squats with 2 packs of planks (40 pounds)

    Wednesday: rest

    Thursday: Shoulder Press with 1 pack of planks (20lbs) + Curls with 1 pack of planks

    Friday: Deadlifts with 2 packs of planks + Bent over Rows with 2 packs of planks.

    I'm having no problems doing this routine. No pain, some soreness to be expected. I'm debating doing my last sets of the day to failure to really push it home. What does everybody think? Any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/jarekrictus
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment