• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 16, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 16, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 16, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 16, 2020

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Dr. Mike Israetel and Dr. Melissa Davis of Renaissance Periodization AMA - Starting when this post is 2 hours old

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 03:13 PM PDT

    We are excited to welcome back Dr. Mike Israetel and Dr. Melissa Davis from Renaissance Periodization for their third AMA on r/Fitness!

    This post is up 2 hours in advance of the AMA, which starts at 5PM PDT, to allow everyone to post their questions so Mike and Melissa can dive right in.


    Dr. Israetel has a Ph.D. from East Tennessee State University in Sport Physiology, was Former Assistant Professor at Temple University and University of Central Missouri, and a former Sport Nutrition Consultant for the U.S. Olympic Training Site in Johnson City.

    Dr. Melissa Davis holds a PhD in Neurobiology and Behavior and has 10 years of research experience. Melissa is currently a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt under Giva Santana at One Jiu Jitsu, and is a multiple time IBJJF Master World Champion. She has also represented the United States in the international Abu Dhabi World Pro Competition on multiple occasions. She has experience with physique competition, distance running, and dance as well.

    Renaissance Periodization has recently launched a home training program with a promotion at 60% off. It has also recently launced the RP Diet App for dietary planning and tracking.


    Reminder: As with all AMAs on r/Fitness, we will be monitoring comments closely, and those who participate will be expected to behave.

    submitted by /u/purplespengler
    [link] [comments]

    Weird Question: Alright to use a thick chain as a bar substitute?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 01:10 PM PDT

    Short story short: Just got a functional trainer (basically a cable fly machine) and I would like to use it for some exercises that require a barbell (overhead press, deadlift, etc.) but I don't have that attachment. I was thinking of making a ghetto version of one but then I remembered I have a nice thick chain my buddy gave me. Would it be the craziest thing in the world to just attach that to both pulleys and do these exercises with it instead of a regular barbell? I assume it's safe but thought there might be some weird grip mechanics involved that might put me at-risk. I think it might have a cool prison-vibe to it as well which is sorely lacking since I got rid of my rusty, welded barbells =\

    submitted by /u/LSTERD
    [link] [comments]

    Meal prep for under $25 a week?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 09:32 PM PDT

    Looking for both breakfast and lunch for under $25 a week. Currently 155, and trying to get to 180. I already have protein supplements, but whats a cheap meal prep meal I can do to gain muscle mass and weight?

    submitted by /u/gooseboi45
    [link] [comments]

    How do you hold on to muscle mass if you can’t work out?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 10:10 PM PDT

    Tomorrow I will be returning to a city where I don't have weights and a bench like I do where I am right now. How do I hold onto the muscle mass I have for about a month? I can do anything but actually use machines/free weights.

    submitted by /u/Treedoo
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to gain upper body muscle mass

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 02:49 AM PDT

    Hi so I'm looking to gain a bit of upper body muscle mass. I'm reasonably fit but not ridiculous. I figured this was probably the best place to ask. About me & my training plan:

    I currently do an hour on the rollers 6 mornings (similar to a turbo trainer) with the British cycling training plans. This is with speed and cadence sensors and a hrm going up to zones 8 & 10. And when not in lockdown I normally ride about 30-40miles @ an average of 15-16mph with 3-4000m of climbing on average. I go running on an evening doing around 10km at an average of 8-8.30min mile pace. 4 nights a week. Also I've got an adjustable press up board which I currently do 50reps on every other day.

    Im not putting on mass at all I've completely plateaued, I'm "defined" but not toned. And I'd like to fill out my t-shirts a bit more. I'm 6ft exactly (to the cm) and I'm 73kgs. I am Vegetarian if that is helpful too eating about 2500cal per day. With lots or pasta, lentils, chickpeas etc. I'm not looking to look like some adonis but I would like to be a bit "bigger"

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any extra info needed just ask.

    submitted by /u/Pirate1000rider
    [link] [comments]

    Difficulty Making Progress - Help!

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 02:39 AM PDT

    Hi All, I am a 27 year old male, 5'11, 174lbs. The issue I'm having is that I THINK I fall into the skinny fat category (excess waist fat, otherwise on the skinny side). I would like to get lean and I have been doing a lot of research on what the best way to go about it is, but the advice online is all over the place. I have been trying to keep my diet at TDAA - 700kcal/day with focus on protein (100-140g/day). I walk 5-12 miles almost every day and lift at home every other day. I am looking for a reliable approach going forward (recomp? cut or bulk first? cycles?). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/iAmCecil
    [link] [comments]

    Recomp or keep cutting?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 02:31 AM PDT

    Hi folks

    54/M 6'1" 200lbs

    Lost 38lbs through IF and walking.

    Last two months changed my routine. Dropped the IF (had enough) and been progressively weight training at home with dumbbells/plates/bench: 3x8 squats/rows/incline bench/shoulder press, 3xweek. Eating 2500 cals daily, protein average 125g. Also walk 4.2 miles every day. I've built a very modest amount of muscle but don't appear to be losing much if any weight.

    My goal is to get lean enough to then slowly bulk, and I've been trying for literally years. Despite the fat already lost, I still have a big pot belly (since childhood) and look like a pregnant woman when I let it all hang out. The rest of me looks pretty good.

    My issue - I'm running out of energy. Given that I want to lose fat, should I reduce calories and sets, perhaps do 1x8 3xweek? Or reduce the walking? I've been told by others to actually increase cals to "recomp", which I find confusing.

    Something has to give. Thoughts most welcome.

    submitted by /u/ConstantPoint4
    [link] [comments]

    Conflicting info, need help

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 03:40 AM PDT

    So I've been looking into working out again....my biggest issue is how much I should be eating. I am 155lbs. I work an extremely physically demanding job for 9-10 hours a day. I am also active after work. Bike ridding, rollerblading..... and of course more work, gotta love being a tradesmen. Some sources say I only need 3500 calories a day while others are telling me I need closer to 6000. Was hoping to get some info from you guys.

    submitted by /u/lastonethistime
    [link] [comments]

    Need help on Fitness routine

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 03:37 AM PDT

    I'm 14 and I'm 5'6 and 190 pounds, I have more of a bulky build (thanks to my dad). Also mentioning that I have EDS so my joints pop out way easier. I'm Transgender (FtM) I know that does have some effect on my muscle mass and body fat so I thought that might help. I'm on Testosterone so I know my muscle mass is different now.

    I dont have the whole lifting set and all, all I have are weights and a punching bag. But I want to lose weight in my stomach area and gain more shoulder and stomach muscle. I figured yall might know what would work best.

    submitted by /u/M1lkdudds
    [link] [comments]

    What Kind Of Exercise To Do When The Body Is Extremely Sore?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 03:28 AM PDT

    Hello!

    I am a 19-year-old girl (163cm) who is trying to be more fit and healthy. I've been on the r/loseit subreddit for a long time and went down from 90kg from the end of December 2019 to 75kg now. I've hit a plateau for 3 weeks now and I decided not to change my diet (1200kcal) but to increase my activity.

    I used to do 15min on the elliptical, skip rope (100 skips 10 times) and do some bodyweight and lightweight workouts, and I normally walk 6000-10000 steps a day. My family and I, for the past week, started doing at home light yoga collectively, and I decided to up my time on the elliptical (15min in the morning, 20min in the evening) and workout using alot more weight and using resistance bands. Yesterday I did the usual, but I went a little extra fast on the elliptical and did alot of core workouts. Today I couldn't even get up from my bed I was so sore. I don't want to ruin my progress, and I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Doukaim
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for extra protein troughout the day

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 03:28 AM PDT

    I am struggling to eat enough protein troughout the Day. Nornally I would eat some extra protein between meals. I would eat some 0% Greek yoghurt and that got me enough. Now, the skyr is almost always sold out or very limited and I have no idea how to hit that hoal anymore. Btw, I still live with my parents so they de use what I eat for lunch and dinner

    submitted by /u/2fast4you_m8
    [link] [comments]

    Need help overcoming trap dominance

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 01:08 AM PDT

    Hey everyone. Hoping to mine people's knowledge while in lockdown since it seems a good time to work on imbalances.

    I have been lifting for about 2 years and pretty much since the start I have experienced problems with my traps taking over during shoulder and a lot of back exercises. I warm up with a resistance band and a dumbell for rotator cuffs and stretch frequently. I also try really hard not to shrug and have gone back to light weights but it doesn't seem to make any difference - my traps are working way more than my shoulders. Not only is there evidently an imbalance, and I have a slightly injured shoulder presumably as a result of overactive traps especially on that side (?) I also hate the way it looks as my shoulders just look tiny next to my comparatively very developed traps. As a woman not competing in physique this is not ideal! Would be really grateful for any insight on particular stretches/exercises to do or avoid/cues/etc. It's been driving me insane!

    submitted by /u/IntelligentObelisk
    [link] [comments]

    Could being lean cause restricted blood flows?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2020 12:33 AM PDT

    Hey guys so i have been training for the last 8 months or so, I started on 57.5KG at 1.72m, im currecntly only 59kg but have a lot more muscle so i assume i've "recomped".

    Now the problem is most of my veins (hands,legs,chest,shoulders) are pretty much poppin even when rested.

    Now the problem i came to is literally resting my hand on a mouse i can start feeling tingling of blood flow restriction, like the table pushes against my arm veins...

    Even just sitting in the same position with hands a little bit elevated i start feeling it, sometimes i could nap at work and wake up with only 2 fingers functioning for a minute or so..

    Is this caused by having low BF& veins popping or should i look at it medically?

    submitted by /u/SilverBirthday5
    [link] [comments]

    What’s a realistic amount of weight fat to lose?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 11:26 PM PDT

    I am 6 foot, started at 195lbs . 7 day a week cardio 140-160 bpm and weight lifting 5 days I lost 7lb total for 4 weeks

    Is it realistic to say if I keep it up I can lose another 7-9lbs in the next 4 weeks? I am experimenting with only two carb meals out of 5 per day now. I've never lost this much weight in a short period of time, so I'm curious how much more can I expect to lose at a healthy rate? 2lb per week loss?

    submitted by /u/dividendman99
    [link] [comments]

    I want to do burpees, advice?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 11:13 PM PDT

    Here's the catch, I want to do 100 burpees a day but it is spread across 12 hours from 8am to 8pm, so I will aim for 10 each hour (maybe more who knows).

    Ive seen the benefits of burpees especially in youtube videos, especially the one by Chase Barron.

    So how do you think I should go about it? I see myself adding a few extra exercises here and there and improve along the way. What kind of diet should I have to gain muscles?

    Ps. I have about 6 months of free time, and even if I dont have the full 12 hours, I will try to adapt.

    submitted by /u/Joshywawawa
    [link] [comments]

    Simple routine with only one 10lb dumbbell

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 09:49 PM PDT

    I want to stay/get in shape over quarantine but I only have one 10lb dumbbell. I want to try to focus on all of my muscle groups. Any recommended routines?

    submitted by /u/Denver_Stylee
    [link] [comments]

    Question on the dumbbell workouts

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 09:46 PM PDT

    Hi I was reading through the wiki looking for a good dumbbell workout.

    I really want to come out of quarantine looking much bigger than before.

    I only have access to dumbbells and a bench.

    I looked at the stopgap exercises but they seem to be what the name suggests– a stopgap and not a long term workout.

    So then out of the two remainding workouts, which would you guys represent for building mass: the Frankoman split or the Fierce 5? Or maybe you guys have a link to a different workout?

    Thank you guys so much, I am definitely new to this so I could appreciate all the help I can get.

    submitted by /u/BlockofPotatoes
    [link] [comments]

    Bent Barbell

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 04:38 PM PDT

    So a family friend owns a gym and gave me two Iron Grip Olympic barbells, super nice gym pieces, with the caveat that they may have a slight bend. One is perfect, but the other is incredibly bent. Is there anything a bent bar is good for? Maybe squatting? Idk. Any knowledgeable feedback is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/j4ckedky
    [link] [comments]

    HOW do you navigate working out and tailoring your routine to your goals?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 08:00 PM PDT

    So here's some info about me and my body type first. I've always been lean, at some points really scrawny. I'm 18 years old female, I'm 5'4, and currently my weight has been sitting at a constant 105 pounds. My body type is somewhat inverted triangle, mixed with a very slight hourglass I think. My hips and my bust width are about the same, like around 30 inches with my waist about 26/27 inches and then I have pretty broad shoulders. So basically, narrow hips, broad shoulders with a teeny tiny bit of curvage. I'm pretty petite.

    So now my goals: I'm not sure what's really realistic here, but I don't like having super skinny thighs and arms and I don't really even like having narrow hips and I especially am not a fan of the broad shoulders. I know I can't change my bone structure and have accepted that so my hopes aren't high for widening my hips or shrinking my shoulders lol. I would however like to be way "thicker" if you know what I mean. I want my thighs and bum to get pretty big, but I don't really want my shoulders to get as big, but I want my arms to be bigger. I need help creating a routine.

    This is what I mean by I'm not sure what's realistic, so I am posting here because maybe you guys can help me know more of what I can expect result-wise.

    Also, how often should I workout? Also I've heard of bulking, I have been trying to eat eat eat but that's a little hard for me. My appetite is quite small, but I am doing my best to overeat when I do, and eating just whenever I can as much as I can. I hope that's right lmfao

    So a lot of what I'm asking is; is it possible for me to get my thighs like a lot bigger without making my shoulders huge? I don't want too much imbalance, and I am not working out ONLY to get the body I want. Among that reason I do wish to be more healthy and active just because I want to care for myself better, but there cant be much shame in wanting a body that I'm happier with and working toward that, its probably my biggest motivator.

    I'm a total newbie to working out at all so any and all information or help is absolutely welcome and I appreciate it! Tips on things to stay away from, what i should gravitate towards, and especially since gyms are closed things I can do at home. I have access to resistance bands or whatever they are called, I have ankle weights, those small barbells(?) i think they're 5 pounds and I have some that are 8, and I have an elliptical machine.

    If you've read to the bottom thank you so much, I really appreciate your help!

    submitted by /u/almondmilkhoney
    [link] [comments]

    Do you really need to change your routine every now and then?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 07:24 PM PDT

    This is something that I asked a long time ago, but I'm asking it again, because I never got a concrete or convincing answer.

    I haven't been exercising for a while now, because school has been keeping me pretty busy, I now have more free time, especially with the virus, so I want to get back to lifting again, I just want to be sure with what I'm doing first.

    I've never liked this recommendation about changing routines every once in a while because of adaptation, I could stick with one and be completely happy with it, but I've seen many articles and opinions debating whether muscle memory is real or not, leaving me conflicted as to whether I was doing the correct thing or not.

    My main goal is primarily fat loss (I have a 40 inch belly), prior to being busy, I would do an altered P.H.U.L. routine with progressive overload, I thought that would be sufficient to counter the effects of adaption, but the only gains I saw were a slight muscle mass increase (at least, that's what I think so, because my biceps felt a bit bigger). Then again, I wasn't doing cardio, so that might have been a factor that I'll avoid this time with rope jumping. I also didn't knew about the one max rep. measurement, but I know better now.

    Anyway, y'all know where I'm getting at, my question is: can I stick with just one routine, while doing progressive overload? Is it a necessity to change or people do it just to add some variety.

    Feel free to ask me anything if you have questions. Also, I apologize in advance if I'm sounding dumb.

    submitted by /u/Heavy905
    [link] [comments]

    Attaching standard 1" weights to an Olympic bar

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 05:42 AM PDT

    Slightly Odd request here with this. I Just managed to get an Olympic bar (hurrah!) I have a load of standard (1") weights lying around but no Olympic ones (except a pair that came with the bar)

    As youd expect I can find many "standard to Olympic" adapters but not the opposite way (because...why would you?!)

    Has anyone ever come across such an adapter or know where to purchase one?

    Alternatively, if anyone has any good suggestions as to how best to attach these weights to the Olympic bar? Im thinking maybe something like using some strong bags on the ends, but better suggestions are welcomed!

    Cheers.

    submitted by /u/wingy9
    [link] [comments]

    Decided that I need a change in my life

    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 10:30 PM PDT

    So lately I'm been super insecure about my face, mainly my jaw (check out my recent post to see my weak jaw). Right now I'm 158lbs and 6'1 and I'm wondering if that will help my face as well. Do body workouts correlate to a better face? aka better cheekbones, jawline definition. I've got skinny arms and calves, but big quads and an average sized stomach. I'm what you would called skinny fat, at least I think. I see posts saying lose weight to get a better jawline but I can't afford to lose any weight. My face is full of baby fat so when I work out, will it slowly fade. Just wondering if there is any correlation. People say I have a lot of potential, I'm just not sure where to start

    submitted by /u/yessir156
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment