• Breaking News

    Friday, April 10, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 10, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 10, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - April 10, 2020

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    People who own adjustable dumbells with spinlock collars: what are your tricks to prevent the spinlocks from unscrewing?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 03:11 PM PDT

    Rotational movement of the plates during lifts will start to loosen the spinlock collars on my adjustable dumbbells. anyone have any good tricks to keep them locked tight?

    i find i have to reset them quite frequently, every 5 reps on some movements.

    edit: i deem the official answer is to tighten the screwlock collars by rotating the plates instead of the collars. the extra radius provides the needed torque to ensure a much tighter lock.

    submitted by /u/nootfiend69
    [link] [comments]

    AMA with Renaissance Periodization - Wednesday, Apr 15 - 5pm PDT

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 12:14 PM PDT

    AMA with Mike Israetel and Melissa Davis from Renaissance Periodization this Wednesday, April 15 @ 5pm PDT (24 UTC)


    Hey gang,

    We are super excited to announce a third (!!!) AMA with Mike Israetel and Melissa Davis from Renaissance Periodization! Please join us as we host them both in /r/Fitness on Wednesday, April 15 @ 5pm PDT (24 UTC).

    Dr. Israetel has a Ph.D. from East Tennessee State University in Sport Physiology, was Former Assistant Professor at Temple University and University of Central Missouri, and a former Sport Nutrition Consultant for the U.S. Olympic Training Site in Johnson City.

    Dr. Melissa Davis holds a PhD in Neurobiology and Behavior and has 10 years of research experience. Melissa is currently a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt under Giva Santana at One Jiu Jitsu, and is a multiple time IBJJF Master World Champion. She has also represented the United States in the international Abu Dhabi World Pro Competition on multiple occasions. She has experience with physique competition, distance running, and dance as well.

    Mike and Mellissa stopped by and fielded questions with others from the RP team about two years ago.

    And last April, Mike and Melissa tagged team the Q&A.

    If you're not familiar with Mike and the rest of the team at Renaissance Periodization, you can check out their website, diet templates, and mobile apps.

    And probably most well known is the volume landmark series on training for hypertrophy, which is currently being updated and expanded.

    Come prepared with your questions this Wednesday and help us (re-re-)welcome Dr. Israetel and Dr. Davis to reddit and /r/Fitness!


    AMA with Mike Israetel and Melissa Davis from Renaissance Periodization this Wednesday, April 15 @ 5pm PDT (24 UTC)

    submitted by /u/eric_twinge
    [link] [comments]

    Physique Phriday

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Physique Phriday thread

    What's the point of having people guess your body fat? Nevermind that it's the most inaccurate method available, (read: most likely way wrong - see here) you're still just putting an arbitrary number to the body you have. Despite people's claim that they are shooting for a number, they're really shooting for look - like a six pack.

    So let's stopping mucking around with trivialities and get to the heart of the matter. This thread shall serve two purposes:

    1. Physique critiques. Post some pics and ask about muscles or body parts you need to work on. Or specifically ask about a lagging body part and what exercises worked for others.
    2. An outlet for people that want to show off their efforts that would otherwise be removed due to Rule 4, and

    Let's keep things civil, don't be a creep, and adhere to Rule 1. This isn't a thread to announce what you find attractive in a mate. Please use the report function for any comments that are out of line.

    So phittit, what's your physique pheel like this phriday?

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Modified Dorian Yates Training

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 01:46 PM PDT

    Curious as to somebody else's opinion on this. As a fan of Dorian Yates (previous Dorian, good on him now but I'm not that big into yoga), I decided to try a variation of his super high-intensity one working set. He would do a few warm up sets, then one working set of extreme intensity, most-often involving many forced reps (but you already know this). Problem is, I don't have any friends into hypertrophy weight training like I am (I have a few power-lifting friends who scoff at anything above 3 reps). I still wanted to try the program, so I came up with a modified way to take the muscle being worked to beyond failure. Instead of going to failure and having a training partner help with forced reps, I would do the set to failure, rest for a few seconds, go to failure again, rest for a few seconds, and do this until the muscle being worked was spent and I couldn't do any more. An example of this on lat pull-downs with a five second rest would be 12 reps, rest, 5 reps, rest, 2 reps, rest, 2 reps, rest, 2 reps, rest, 1 rep, rest, can't do another. This style of training took my time in the gym from 1 1/2 hours to 45 minutes, and while I can't say my progress has gone through the roof, I've been doing this for two months now and definitely been making progress at the same rate if not slightly more. Anybody else incorporate anything like this?

    submitted by /u/au_fait_bromate
    [link] [comments]

    Beyond failure

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 02:43 AM PDT

    Should I go beyond failure, meaning if I fail a set like halfway through, should I wait and then do some more until I have all the reps, or should I move on to the next set after failure ?

    submitted by /u/samurzele
    [link] [comments]

    How strong can my bench press get with 185 lbs of weight?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 10:37 PM PDT

    I want to increase my max bench (275ish) but I only have 185 right now. I can bench it for 21 reps, which I think is well past the rep range for optimal strength gain. How much will my max bench increase if I train with 185 to like 30+ reps? Or will I just gain endurance?

    submitted by /u/lkk5756
    [link] [comments]

    I want to finally see progress

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 02:06 AM PDT

    So this break I've been extremely urgent to fix my fitness situation. I currently weigh about 170 pounds, I'm 5'10, and a 15 year old Male. I do Marching Band so I have really strong calves. I am not really sure, however to approach working out. I decided to start biking, and I've been doing it every other day. I've kept track of the distance, so far I've done 134 miles in 2 weeks, and yet see zero progress. My older sister gave me 2 8 pound weights and I've been trying to use those as well. Does anyone have any advice or would like to help me out with some precise options? I mostly want to cut down on fat, but building some muscle would be nice as well. Any and all advice is appreciated, and if you need any more information about my habits or schedule or anything I'm happy to provide I just want to get to a place I'm proud of!

    submitted by /u/Maximum068
    [link] [comments]

    Speed reps for Shoulder press improvement?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 01:35 AM PDT

    Hi all, I've been using Westside barbell's bench speed rep training set up to boost my bench 1rm and it's been working pretty good, having increased from 90kg to 97kg. However, does this type of training carry over to shoulders and/or other main lifts? Would appreciate any form of input, thanks.

    submitted by /u/grandmasterLuo
    [link] [comments]

    I’m having trouble with pistol squats

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 09:39 PM PDT

    Ever since the quarantine I found myself doing a ton more calisthenics which is fine. Anyways the problem is that I can do pistol squats completely fine with my left leg but my right feels terrible. My right ankle is always in pain and I think it's because of poor balance or motor skills with my right leg haha. So is there any suggestions or progressions I should do or any kind of mobility work I should include?

    submitted by /u/Cheeseitz21duh
    [link] [comments]

    Why is my Waist sooooo skinny

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 03:32 AM PDT

    Started going to the gym in august last year and i am for the most part well trained but my waist is very skinny (looks like i wear a corset sometimes) any tips on how to get a "bigger" waist

    submitted by /u/iwclk
    [link] [comments]

    Pressing chest excercises for poor rotator cuffs?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 01:48 AM PDT

    I have a set of adjustable dumbbells, but am currently working to improve mobility and strength of external rotation. Bench press doesnt work for me, so I could use some advice on pushing chest excercises that take it easy on the rotator cuff. Thanks for any advice!

    submitted by /u/uhh-boneless-chicken
    [link] [comments]

    Why do I get tired so fast mid workout?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 09:20 PM PDT

    So two months ago, I decided to workout consistently again after going (still am but getting better) through a depressive state for about six months or so. I would say I am about 70% more consistent than before. Before my depressive state I was able to workout six days with no break effortlessly, but now try to workout atleast 3-4 times a week. My workouts are nowhere near as intense as they were because of how tired I get. Is this normal? How can I fix this?

    Edit: for some background info, I have a healthy diet, drink a gallon or so a day, get atleast 8-9 hours of sleep, and dont drink pre workout (never had to)

    submitted by /u/awihsoj
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a difference doing squats/deadlifts/bench press with an ez curl bar vs a barbell?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 03:32 PM PDT

    I have a gym at home but I don't have a barbell bar and I've been doing the big three with the ez curl instead. Is there a big difference in terms of the muscles it targets or the way it works them?

    submitted by /u/FelixEditz
    [link] [comments]

    Different barbell weights?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 10:18 PM PDT

    At one gym I went to they have a deadlift/squat area. I believe this area had a longer barbell than usual, and I was able to DL 315 pretty easily. Is this longer barbell lighter?

    submitted by /u/MostCynical
    [link] [comments]

    M 21, athletic and I wanna be a trainer and I need to bulk up.

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 11:51 PM PDT

    I started working out 5 years back, and I learnt everything on my own. From diet to the correct form of each exercise. I went from 51kg to 67kg (16% BF, 174 cm). I am a vegitarian (my family is, and I want to respect this as long as I'm staying with them). In the past 5 years. I have played football and frisbee for a club, learnt a lot about hypertrophy and now, I'm going for my first ever classes by an expert and learning Animal Flow and he's offering a course on Functional Training as well. I also run long distance and cover about 50kms in a week(before quarantine). My goal is to be at 72-75kg, lean muscle but sports has become an integral part of my life now, but I'm not sure how I can combine all of this in a single routine to give me the results that I want. I love learning about new trainings, I wanna test my body with different workouts, and push it. I'm not sure of a couple of things. 1. Should I go for the functional training classes? 2. How do I incorporate all this into a routine to get to my final goal? 3. What is the right way to keep learning more, and still doing everything you want to do?

    Thanks in advance for anyone's help on this, I'm super confused right now any guidance would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/ishaan8909
    [link] [comments]

    Dirty bulking to a healthy BMI?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 03:44 PM PDT

    I'm currently really underweight (5'10 121lbs) and I was wondering if there's any downsides to dirty bulking until I get to a healthy BMI which would be 133 pounds.

    submitted by /u/HoneyyBlossom
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment