• Breaking News

    Friday, July 30, 2021

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 30, 2021

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 30, 2021


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 30, 2021

    Posted: 30 Jul 2021 02:00 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it. Rule #0 still applies in this thread.

    Also, there's a handy search function to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search r/Fitness by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to check first are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    If you are posting a routine critique request, make sure you follow the guidelines for including enough detail.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk, chit-chat, jokes, memes, "Dear Diary" type comments, shitposting, or non-fitness questions. It is for fitness questions only, and only those that are serious.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    M18 3 years progress (70kg/155 lbs to 80kg/180 lbs) 175.5cm/5'9

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 02:15 PM PDT

    This is pretty much a post I'm making before going off to college. Definitely only the beginning of my journey, but a great foundation.

    Progress pictures:

    June 5, 2019; 70kg/155 lbs

    August 31, 2019; 72 kg/160 lbs

    July 29, 2021; 82kg/180 lbs

    Some measurements as of today (couldn't do chest/shoulders by myself):

    Forearms: 11.61in/29.5cm
    Biceps: 13.2in/33.5cm
    Thighs: 24.80in/63cm
    Calves: 15.75in/40cm

    Lifting numbers:

    Squat: 115kg/255lbs -> 162kg/357lbs

    bench: 47.5kg/105lbs -> 95/210 lbs

    deadlift: N/A -> 137kg/300 lbs x 6

    Military press: N/A -> 57kg/126 lbs 3x5

    Clean: 95 kg/210 lbs -> 118/260lbs

    Jerk: 75kg/165lbs -> 100kg/220 lbs

    Snatch: 60kg/132lbs -> 76 kg/168lbs

    Athletic history:

    I had done sports pretty much my entire life, most notably fencing 4 days/12 hours per week from 2016-March 2018. I quit fencing and didn't do anything until November 2018 when I started messing around at my school gym.

    Training

    I started going to the gym consistently at the start of 2019, though I didn't have a program. The starting lifting numbers are slightly inaccurate because I didn't max out lifts such as squats until much later. I remember failing a 115lbs bench very early in my training, and the 255lbs squat didn't come until around April or May of that year. My lifts at the end of this period were: 75kg/165 bench and 115/255 squat. I weighed 70kg/155 lbs.

    At the start of summer, I switched to reddit PPL and made great gains. After 2 months, bench shot up to around 88kg/195 lbs and I gained some experience deadlifting. I weighed 72kg/155lbs. Because I was starting a new school year, I switched to nSuns and really started going hard (2hrs+ sessions). During Late October, I maxed out again and hit a 95kg/210 lbs bench, 129/285 squat, and the heaviest I ever deadlifted was 137kg/300 lbs for 6.

    After watching a weightlifting video that got on my youtube recommended, I fell into the rabbit hole, watching Clarence, Ashgabat, and all types of weightlifting content. I decided to switch to weightlifting in November.

    My weightlifting training has been pretty inconsistent: November 2019-February 2020, August 2020-October 2020, March 2021-today for a total of 12 out of 21 months. I also only train 3 days a week (my coach runs his gym as a passion project, so it's only open 3days/wk) which is significantly lower than nSuns or PPL. My weight also fluctuated a lot. I weighed 75kg/165lbs right before quarantine but dropped all the way to 70kg/155lbs by August 2020. I made it up to around 76/168 lbs in October but managed to keep my weight despite not training and I've been pretty stable at 82kg/180 lbs for a few months now.

    Regardless of inconsistent training and weight, I made great squat PRs, hitting 145kg/321lbs in December 2019, 127kg/280 x 5 in October 2020, 143kg/315lbs x 5 in May 2021, and 162kg/357lbs for my first double bodyweight squat in June 2021. I had and have injuries in my wrist, so I've been unable to train the snatch for about 2 months, and I recently injured my shoulder so I wasn't able to do anything overhead for around 3 weeks.

    I haven't benched for almost a year now and I haven't deadlifted anything above 130kg/286 lbs because I can only clean 118kg/260lbs.

    Diet

    I don't have a very precise diet. I make sure to limit sugar heavily (only milk and water for the past 3-4 years, no candy, no ice cream, no sweet snacks like cookies/brownies) and roughly hit my calories/protein. However, more often than not I end up not eating enough. I usually eat 2 meals a day, sometimes only 1 because my sleep schedule is terrible. In college I hope to bulk up a lot because I'll have a much better diet.

    For supplements, I never took anything until the start of July of this year, when I started taking creatine and vitamin D. I started drinking protein shakes but that's not really a supplement(?).

    Physique

    Physique was never really one of my main goals but of course it's a nice bonus. Sucks that I couldn't get pictures of my legs before working out, but they were still pretty big regardless because of all the fencing (and soccer/track as well). I just wanted an opinion, do I really look like I'm 180 lbs? I always look at other people and think to myself like damn they're huge!, only for them to weigh less than me.

    Some of my biggest inspirations are apti aukadov, toshiki yamamoto, and tian tao... Absolutely monstrous quads and a ripped, aesthetic upper body is a killer combination

    What's next?

    I'm going to continue weightlifting for probably the rest of my life. I hope to squat 270kg and have a weightlifting total over 300kg one day. My current goal is a 200 kg squat by the time I'm 19 (next february) and to qualify for usaw junior nationals next year. In college I might do some bodybuilding and accessory training that I've been neglecting, and maybe even bench a little. I plan to bulk to 89kg and maybe far in the future 96kg (based on weight classes).

    Thanks for reading, and thank you to my coach, teammates, reddit for their resources, and various youtube channels. If you're still reading thank you as well!

    submitted by /u/watermeloans135
    [link] [comments]

    Physique Phriday

    Posted: 30 Jul 2021 02:00 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Physique Phriday thread

    What's the point of having people guess your body fat? Nevermind that it's the most inaccurate method available, (read: most likely way wrong - see here) you're still just putting an arbitrary number to the body you have. Despite people's claim that they are shooting for a number, they're really shooting for look - like a six pack.

    So let's stopping mucking around with trivialities and get to the heart of the matter. This thread shall serve two purposes:

    1. Physique critiques. Post some pics and ask about muscles or body parts you need to work on. Or specifically ask about a lagging body part and what exercises worked for others.
    2. An outlet for people that want to show off their efforts that would otherwise be removed due to Rule 4, and

    Let's keep things civil, don't be a creep, and adhere to Rule 1. This isn't a thread to announce what you find attractive in a mate. Please use the report function for any comments that are out of line.

    So phittit, what's your physique pheel like this phriday?

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Muscular endurance & strength when training to failure

    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 05:56 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    It has been a couple of months that have been on a successful bodyweight training program (unfortunately it is impractical for me to go at the gym atm). However, as I wanted to experience different ways of training, I tried working out to failure on a couple of exercises and I noticed some weird pattern.

    Just to give some numbers: on push-ups specifically, I tried to go for technical failure and I reached 31 push ups in a row before my arms would push me mid-way and would not be able to produce enough force anymore. I did the same thing on Squats & lunges with a 24kg (52 lbs) kettle bell and reached 26 for squats and 33 for lunges.

    Here are the things I have noticed, and I wonder if ppl experienced the same:

    1. When training to failure even taking 3-5 mn rest I would never be able to reproduce the same performance on the next set. I typically aim at 3 identical sets on each exercise, and when training to failure my performance would just massively degrade no matter what (I can easily lose 5-10 reps ). Most things I have read on the topic seem to assume that you chose a number of rep to failure and them you perform the 3 identical sets, but I find it absolutely impossible.
    2. I really find the fatigue of working to failure to be out of proportion with the volume. For example I can perform 10 sets of 10 push ups with 1-1:30 mn of rest between sets for a total of 100 push ups and do that every other day with no problem. However doing even 3 sets of 25 push ups seem to greatly compromise my next performance and I often need more than one day of rest to recover.
    3. Now, the funny thing is that, this pattern seems mostly to apply when I train for muscular endurance, by which in mean sets of 12+ reps. When it comes to pull-ups and dips where my sets are still under the 10 reps, I can train to failure without suffering from disproportionate fatigue. I was objectively getting stronger and being able to add a few reps/weight from week to week.

    Have you noticed a similar pattern where training to failure for your muscular endurance seems to fatigue you disproportionately compared to training to failure for pure strength (heavier weight and low reps sets) ? I have read some scientific literature suggesting that training to failure was not necessarily the best (especially if you want some volume for hypertrophy), but I cannot remember seeing this muscular endurance/strength divide when it comes to the fatigue failure produces.

    submitted by /u/Talnir
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment