• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 28, 2021

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 28, 2021

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 28, 2021


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 28, 2021

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 02:00 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it. Rule #0 still applies in this thread.

    Also, there's a handy search function to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search r/Fitness by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to check first are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    If you are posting a routine critique request, make sure you follow the guidelines for including enough detail.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk, chit-chat, jokes, memes, "Dear Diary" type comments, shitposting, or non-fitness questions. It is for fitness questions only, and only those that are serious.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    6 months on PPL & moderate calorie deficit

    Posted: 27 Jul 2021 06:44 PM PDT

    Side-by-side before & after pics

    I am 27 years old & 6'4"

    I bulked from 194 (skinny fat) to 225 (fat) in 9 months. I was eating pretty "clean", but just a lot of food. I sporadically tracked my calorie intake and I was eating close to 4,000 calories a day with 300g+ protein. I was gaining about 1-2lbs a week towards the end of the bulk. My training program was 7 days a week weight training (split: back & bicep, chest & tricep, legs, shoulders). Also, every other day 30-40 minutes MISS cardio (10 mile stationary bike, hill training mode). I was not logging my workouts but I was getting stronger and bigger (mostly fat). I decided to get serious with my diet and exercise routine and that's when I noticed rapid progress.

    I began a cut and my goal was to get to sub-10% bodyfat in 4-6 months for beach vacations this summer. I used this video by Jeremy Ethier to as a guide for how to plan my diet. I used this video by Jeff Nippard as a guideline for how to eat. For the entire diet I was eating 220g+ protein and 20-30% calories from fat, the rest was carbs. I shot for 1-2lb fat loss per week and when I reached a plateau I either 1: Reduced my daily calorie intake by 50-100, usually from carbs. OR 2: Increased my daily activity level by adding a small amount of LISS cardio. I weighed and cooked 95% of my food, and logged 100% of my food in MyFitnessPal. I weighed myself every morning and tracked my average weekly weight to see through daily fluctuations. I also stopped drinking alcohol completely during this cut.

    I began a 6 day PPL routine and began logging my workouts to track my progress and ensure I was progressively overloading my lifts. I designed my own programs that looked like this and took deload weeks every 8-12 weeks and switched up the exercises afterwards. I was doing tons of volume in my routine, 20 sets per body part per week minimum. I would do 6-8 exercises per session and do the compounds first, doing 4 sets in the 8-10 rep range. Isolations came next with 3 sets in the 10-15 rep range. I would progressively overload by adding 1 or 2 reps each session until I reached the rep range ceiling. Then, up the weight and start at the bottom of the rep range. For example, a bench press one session would go Set 1: 185 x 10, Set 2: 185 x 10, Set 3: 185 x 9, Set 4: 185 x 9. The next session I would try for 4 sets of 10 with 185. After hitting that, I would increase the weight to 190 and try for 4 sets of 8. Rinse and repeat. I pushed myself and went close to failure on every set (8+ RPE), with ample rest between sets (3 minutes for compound, 2 minutes for isolation). I kept a timer going for the entire session to ensure the proper rest time and to make sure I was having enough time under tension. I aimed for at least 30 seconds TUT, but ideally 40 seconds per set. Because of this, my weight training takes about 1h 30m per day. I averaged about 50 minutes of LISS cardio every day (walking outside or incline treadmill) and began stretching 30-45 mins per day. I was also getting adequate rest, 7+ hours most nights.

    I got down to 181lbs carb depleted. 2 days later carb loaded I was 190lb and this is me peaking with a pump. 3 weeks prior I was 10.7% body fat according to a DEXA scan, so I would estimate I am somewhere around 9% at my peak.

    I did not miss a single workout. I went on a couple diet breaks (1 full week about 4 months in and 1 weekend 5 months in). Other than that, I stuck to my diet and didn't cheat. I had meals that were "dirty", but I fit them in my macros. I used Greg Doucette's cookbook for a lot of my meals. I learned from Jeff Nippard, Greg Doucette, Jeremy Ethier, Renaissance Periodization and a few others on YouTube how to diet, train, and supplement.

    All my lifts increased. I am dealing with a herniated disk and AC joint sprain, so I had to work around the big 3 (squat, deadlift, flat bench). But for reference I was able to go from 140lb to 270lb hack squat (for reps of 10) and on bench press I went from 185lb 4RM to 225lb in 4 months before my shoulder prevented me from going further. I have been adding 10lb per month on my incline DB bench since starting, going from 60lb to 85lb in 3 months. My waist is 4 inches smaller at the same body weight as a year ago.

    If I could go back and change anything I would not have bulked up so heavy. I was chasing the number on the scale and wanted to get big. I didn't use the mirror like I should have to gauge progress. A "dirty bulk" or "dreamers bulk" is not the way to go. It took me 6 MONTHS of strict dieting to strip away that fat. I probably lost a good amount of muscle in the process. Bulk up slow. Do body recomposition, or "gain-taining" if you are only 10-20lbs overweight. Find quality, evidence based sources of information online, like the YouTube channels I mentioned. Some things you just need to learn for yourself, but there's a lot of advice that's worth hearing.

    submitted by /u/exdvendetta
    [link] [comments]

    Rant Wednesday

    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 02:00 AM PDT

    Welcome to Rant Wednesday: It's your time to let your gym/fitness/nutrition related frustrations out!

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    PPL with sports

    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 06:13 PM PDT

    Does anyone have any experience running PPL with sports? I'm specifically looking to play soccer while also doing PPL. I'm currently doing:

    PPLPPLS

    Where S stands for soccer but that basically means I do seven days of workouts. I was thinking of doing soccer on the one of my Push or Pull days but that seems a bit excessive too. I'm starting to believe an upper/lower split may work better when incorporating soccer. Before I do that I wanted to see if anyone has successfully implemented PPL with some sports.

    submitted by /u/TwistXJ
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment