• Breaking News

    Monday, January 18, 2021

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 12:30 AM PST

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    If my heart is no longer the limiting factor, what is?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 01:26 AM PST

    Hi all! My apologies if this is answered elsewhere; I couldn't find it.

    Four months ago I joined a group fitness class. I usually hate group fitness classes because I'm always one of the most unfit people there. However, this is one of those classes where you wear a heart rate monitor and it puts your % to max HR up on the front screen along with everyone elses. This was really the motivational ticket for me, because it meant that even if I was clearly not doing as many reps as everyone else, it was still evident that I was doing my damnedest. I really enjoyed pushing myself to 95%+. My competitive streak was driving my fitness.

    Lately, though, it seems like I'm still pushing hard and still hitting that wall but my heart rate is only going to ~90-92%. I can have an absolute meltdown on the rower and still not really breach 90%. I thought something might be wrong with my heart rate monitor, but I asked the trainer and he said that my heart may not be my limiting factor anymore.

    I watched the clock and counted my beats and it seemed like he was right, I'm still hitting that "can't possibly push any harder" wall but only getting to 90% heart rate for my age.

    It makes sense that my heart would be getting more efficient at its job over these four or so months, but if the ol' ticker isn't what's redlining anymore, what part of the process is limiting how much I can do? Lungs?

    Sorry for the wall of text, thanks for the help!

    TL;DR - Still hitting a wall during cardio, but not because I'm at max heart rate. Why?

    submitted by /u/Espiritu51
    [link] [comments]

    Single-Limb Exercises

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 04:09 PM PST

    I have been writing up a workout plan set for 12 weeks and it is my goal to stick with it and finish the whole thing. My secondary goal is to work in a caloric deficit and attempt to maintain as much muscle mass as I can. My tertiary goal, and the focus of this post, is to use single-limb exercises, preferably with dumbbells when possible, in order to challenge muscles that stabilize those movements and ensure that each limb is getting equal attention and weight.

    I have 2 questions that arose while writing this plan:

    1. Is this method actually achieving what my goals are? Does this method make a reasonable difference with my routine?

    2. Is it possible to use a similar dumbbell-centric, single-limb, plan for building mass? Would it be in my best interest to switch from one-arm dumbbell bench press to Barbell Bench Press?

    It is totally possible I am missing some fundamental information. This is the first ever weightlifting plan I have written. I may be willing to share what I have written thus far.

    Thanks!

    EDIT: as mentioned in the comments my plan is an adaptation of the Frankoman's Dumbbell Only Split replacing overhead tricep exercises with cable tricep pull-downs to accommodate a shoulder injury I had a couple years ago under the advisement of my doctor. I've also made a couple other adjustments like replacing dumbbell squats with barbell squats, replacing dumbbell stiff-leg deadlifts with Standard Barbell Deadlifts. Other than that most other things are about the same.

    TL;DR: I'm essentially asking if I can do a single-limb Variant of Incline Dumbbell Press instead of using both arms to work some stabilizing core muscles. Incline dumbbell press is the first exercise on the first day of Frankoman's plan.

    submitted by /u/punk_ian
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment