• Breaking News

    Friday, August 7, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - August 07, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - August 07, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - August 07, 2020

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Why are my estimated maintenance calories so much higher than reality?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 10:29 PM PDT

    Could somebody please tell me I'm not crazy?

    When I calculate my maintenance calories I'm looking in the range of 2400-2700 depending on the calculator. I'm 22 y/o, Male, 190lbs, I lift 6x per week for an hour at least, I walk for an hour each day, and I'm on my feet the rest of the time generally.

    After experimenting for quite some time, I have to be eating around 1800-1900 calories to lose weight at a healthy rate. I started this cut at 2100 for a whole month, not cheating myself, to see if I could achieve this at a more normal caloric intake for a cut. Nada...

    Interested in hearing your insights.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Fitwings
    [link] [comments]

    Do you guys feel comfortable going back to the gym to workout?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 03:10 AM PDT

    My gym just sent out an email that next week they will open, but following the government's capacity restrictions, requiring people to have masks on, and other precautions, etc

    since i've been away from the gym for a long time i'm very excited to go back, but not sure if it's safe to do so

    anyone with gym already open, how's your experience?

    is it stupid of me to go back to the gym in current situation?

    submitted by /u/oldDotredditisbetter
    [link] [comments]

    Are hula hoops really effective cardio?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 02:56 AM PDT

    I ask here, as googling it seems to generate a lot of anecdotal celebration from Karens living in California. Even my fitness app says 30 mins burns 186 kcal - really? I don't feel tired or hungry after, like with all other cardio, but if it's proven, I will believe it.

    Yesterday I managed using my weighted (1,5 kg) hoop for 2,5 hours which allegedly burns almost 1000 kcal... Should I believe this?

    submitted by /u/Aphranida
    [link] [comments]

    Slower eccentrics with lower weight vs regular tempo with higher weight

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 04:13 AM PDT

    When slowing down my eccentrics, I've noticed that I "feel it" more in my muscles, but I'm not able to use as much weight. I'm wondering if there is any merit to lifting this way or if I should be solely concentrating on lifting more weight with proper form and a regular tempo. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Mmcfarl1
    [link] [comments]

    Best effective way to strengthen chest muscles?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 04:07 AM PDT

    I'm 21F and I have E (DD) cups, they are quite the strain to carry around, so I'm hoping that making my chest muscles stronger will help me support the weight.

    Sadly all the workout stuff I could find had quite small breasted girls in it, or dudes, and I don't know what would suit me the best.

    I'm hoping there are some experts here who can give me some tips.

    I'm naturally strongly built (have quite the shoulders) so I'm kind of worried that I could end up looking funny if I build too much muscle under my already large chest size.

    Is the idea good in the first place? And if yes, how should I approach it?

    submitted by /u/busy-sloth
    [link] [comments]

    Physique Phriday

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Physique Phriday thread

    What's the point of having people guess your body fat? Nevermind that it's the most inaccurate method available, (read: most likely way wrong - see here) you're still just putting an arbitrary number to the body you have. Despite people's claim that they are shooting for a number, they're really shooting for look - like a six pack.

    So let's stopping mucking around with trivialities and get to the heart of the matter. This thread shall serve two purposes:

    1. Physique critiques. Post some pics and ask about muscles or body parts you need to work on. Or specifically ask about a lagging body part and what exercises worked for others.
    2. An outlet for people that want to show off their efforts that would otherwise be removed due to Rule 4, and

    Let's keep things civil, don't be a creep, and adhere to Rule 1. This isn't a thread to announce what you find attractive in a mate. Please use the report function for any comments that are out of line.

    So phittit, what's your physique pheel like this phriday?

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Favourite accessory movement for aesthetics?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 04:37 AM PDT

    I started my fitness journey with the Reddit PPL almost 2 years ago. The routine involves hammer curls on pull days. I loved what they did/do for my forearms and biceps, and now hammer curls are a staple in whatever routine I'm doing.

    Aside from compound work, what's your favourite movement for aesthetics and why?

    submitted by /u/pythasaurus
    [link] [comments]

    Is intense training really necessary?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 04:28 AM PDT

    Hi guys, i want to change how my body looks because it doesn't look very nice rn and not so strong, 2 pull-ups and I'm done or 7-8 push-ups. I want to gain muscle ofc and lose fat. I'm 185 cm (6 ft 2) and 75kg (around 160 lbs). I have seen people do it within 30 or 60 days, but they must really go through such intense training. I have works to do so it would be better if I'm not using all of my energy in the morning and get exhausted throughout the day. and they seems like push their limit or at least reach their limit when training that.

    So it is possible if I'm being less intense with my training but having my body transform in like 120-180 days? i know you need to maintain it also after that 120 days and maybe i will add more 'docile' to my training.

    submitted by /u/Nachos_168
    [link] [comments]

    How much should i be able to bench as a 13 year old

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 04:01 AM PDT

    Soi am 13m 55kg so far now i can only bench about 45kgs and wonder if its even safe for me to bench or not and if its safe how much should i be able to do?

    submitted by /u/chicken4every2
    [link] [comments]

    Do you always count your calories?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 03:43 AM PDT

    I am trying to build some muscle and am just starting out in learning more about fitness. I know that nutrition is key and makes up most of your success but is it really necessary to count the calories of every single thing that I eat? Do you always track all the calories you consume in a day?

    submitted by /u/opinionatedcrisis
    [link] [comments]

    After losing 40 pounds again I feel like my routine is not the best fit for my goal anymore. How do I go about changing workout routines and maybe switching to split training? I am really no expert sadly...

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 02:58 AM PDT

    Hey guys.

    I am not new to the gym by any means, but since 18 years old I have always used the gym to lose weight primarily. Started around 240 pounds and went down to 175 while building up decent muscle. Few years later I slacked off again and was back at 210 pounds, now down to 186 again and this is where I am now.

    I know how to lose weight as I have done it before. I know about nutrition, fats, carbs and all that - but the more I learn about lifting and proteins etc the more I realise how much you can fuck up and how little I understand in general. I want to be more efficient regarding my routine AND my diet.

    I go to the gym very strictly since 2 months. Every 48 hours, whole body workout that always worked for me (big musclegroups, lots of squats, back, cardio etc). I do count calories although very loosely and should definitely start taking it as serious as back then (really know your actual intake by counting). I don't use any protein powder at the moment and this is probably where my dilemma starts.

    My body looks a lot fucking better than before starting to work out but.. The strength I have doesn't equal my muscle gain. My biceps pretty much is rocksolid now but didn't grow in the slightest. I know I have long muscles and that they take longer to grow and all. I believe my nutrition is the reason for this, not my workout performance.

    A few questions:

    - should I try to lose weight first and then build muscle or should I just start now while not having my goal weight

    - how would I start about doing splits? I have never done it and am a complete noob to it (2 or 3 splits?)

    - I probably should get protein powder as I already know that your muscles need a certain amount of protein so I don't loose muscle instead of fat

    - Is there a difference in body form if I start building muscle now with a bit too much fat on my body instead of slimming down first and then building up muscle?

    These may come across as totally noob questions, but I really want to hear some insights and experiences. I spent all my time and energy building a mindset that finally makes me go to the gym strictly (i do it for myself now as well - big fucking change) and pretty much missed out on educating myself about different routines and specific excercises. I always pretty much did the same - worked on the bigger muscles to increase the required calories of my muscles.

    Thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/PatientLettuce42
    [link] [comments]

    Is it normal to be losing fat and going up in weight when going to the gym?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 02:23 AM PDT

    So as the title suggests, after I started working out my weight has been steadily going up or at best staying stationary at most times. I do think I'm looking better and I can feel my belly tightening up significantly, but every time I step on the scale I get disappointed. I've been working out consistently for a month now, going to the gym 4-5 times a week and going as hard as I can, eating enough protein (shooting for 1gram per pound of body weight), but I'm still in a severe calorie deficit since my main goal is losing the extra fat. Am I just holding on to extra water weight, putting on some muscle while losing fat or is it something else? Also for reference I don't really cheat on my diet and do A LOT of cardio(around 15k steps a day between work, the treadmill, and that's excluding going swimming and other activities).

    submitted by /u/Pr1mal__
    [link] [comments]

    Weighted dip advice?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 01:34 AM PDT

    I was wondering if I could ask about proper assistance movements and training to increase the strength of my weighted dip, as it is my current and favorite upper body pressing movement and I am very fond of it as an exercise

    If it is relevant at all, I am a 5'10 18YO male currently weighing 200lbs even

    My weighted dip stands right now at 125 pounds added for somewhere between 9-12 reps, I'm considering upping the weight to truly see where my max is, but I'm also concerned about my power tower and it's maximum weight capacity

    When approaching assistance movements, should I aim for variations of the dip movement such as ring dips, or more heavily emphasize compound lift that target the involved muscle groups? Currently my assistance work is mainly OHP and bench, and I've noticed great strength improvement after adding in heavy OHP

    On a similar note, should I swap bench for close grip bench to target my triceps more? And if so, should I disagree traditional bench completely, or only use that lift on one of my upper body workouts (I have a lighter day and a heavy day)

    Thank you, I look forward to seeing your messages and hearing your thoughts. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/xX_G0D_Xx
    [link] [comments]

    Oversized rib cage sucks ass

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 12:38 AM PDT

    Does anyone else's body hate them? I've got oversized bones making definition hard and shitty joints

    I've had a knee injury for 3 years. Nearly got over it in physio but it limited my training.

    I've developed some pain in my left elbow and am now worried that gonna fuck over my training too.

    I have a massive rib cage. My lats look tiny because my ribs are so ducking big.

    My pecs look smaller because my ribs stick out a bit. Have to stand in a specific position just to see them and abs.

    I have kyphosis from the rib cage meaning my traps look oversized from back and mid back looks dodgy.

    Not related to injury but I have really wide feet so shoe shopping is hard, and had jaw pain for months.

    Why does my body hate me so much?

    submitted by /u/Idm123
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment