• Breaking News

    Monday, July 13, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:52 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    Muffled ears after intense workouts

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 11:48 PM PDT

    I just got back into my workout routine after an 8 month hiatus. I gave myself 3 weeks of conditioning to get my body used to daily intense workouts. Now week 4 I am getting muffled ears after hard workouts, almost as if I was temporarily going partially deaf for a few minutes. I have very good hearing, I'm age 25 and I've never experienced anything like this working out in the past.

    I researched this and apparently its most commonly a happenstance that occurs with improper breathing. However I am very breath conscious and that wouldn't be the cause. I'm very motivated now, and I don't want to quit my routine if I don't have to.

    -Edit- Thanks for all of the responses so far guys, very helpful context to see so many others with similar issues !

    TL:DR - Is it bad that I lose some of my hearing and get muffled ears after I finish an intense set, should I stop working out?

    submitted by /u/1ofthehumans
    [link] [comments]

    Can you overtrain without being sore?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 12:09 PM PDT

    Hey,

    I train 6 times a week doing a push pull leg split 2x a week, for over a year now. I have been at a platue for quite some time. I push almost every set to failure and i also inplement dropsets (maybe not beneficial, but i like doing it). And i never get sore even though i train to failure almost all the time. I feel like i get enough sleep (8 hours) and i eat decent (could be better). Is there a possibility that my gains and strenght progress is hurting because i am training to much? Maybe my body doesnt have enough time to recover? Or should i be fine as long as i dont get sore? Thanks for the help guys :)

    Since a lot of you have been asking about my program:

    I do most compound exercises 3x8 and single join exercises either 3x12 or 3x15 depending on the intensety of the workout. I do this split 2 times a week.

    Push, chest tricep delts Pull, biceps, back Legs legs, abs, arms
    Bench Press, Dumbell overhead press, Dumbell press, Skull crusher, Dumbbell lateral raise, close grip bench press, Pull Up, Deadlift, Barbell curl, Barbell row, Dumbell curl, Shrug, Squat, Calf Raises, Hip thrust, Abb exercises, Pronated forearm exercise, supinated forearm exercise,

    A litle more information since i havnt provided enough info:

    i am 15, i have been training for 3 years. I devoloped an actual good physique imo, (i can share progress if yall really want me to :). I achieved it by doing a 2x push pull leg split. My 1 RP is 63kg i weight 62 kg. I am not satisfied with that number not becuase its so extreamly low but more because it has been 63 kg for 2 monts. My physique has changed quite a lot in those 2 monts, but my strenght hasnt. So i made this post asking if my strenght hasnt increased becuase i might have been training to hard, wich resulted in to litle recovery?

    submitted by /u/MePorro
    [link] [comments]

    How much ab work is enough to stimulate muscle growth and strength?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 03:11 AM PDT

    It seems there's plenty of info on how other muscles react to length of time worked out. Abs seems a little more confusing. Since lockdown I've done 5-10 minute ab workouts 4x a week. With gyms re-opening id like to know how with the introduction of weights again, and also compound lifts like squats, OHP etc which will stimulate the abs, how much frequency/time would be required to yield good results? Would 5 minutes x3 a week be ample? Or looking at it from a sets point of view, 3 sets of 30-50 reps 3x per week.

    submitted by /u/discoveredunknown
    [link] [comments]

    How do you actually count training volume?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 02:45 AM PDT

    This is what I understand:

    • Training between 10-20 sets/muscle group/week is ideal for most lifters depending on their levels. (Let's assume the average intermediate lifter needs 16 sets)
    • Training frequency is ideal around 2-3×/week.
    • Combining the two points above we can say that an ideal workout routine might be a full-body routine hitting each muscle ~5 times every workout, or an upper-lower split hitting the corresponding (upper or lower) muscle groups 8 times/workout.
    • Note: sets above 5+ reps seem to produce the same amount of hypertrophy if they are done close to failure (no more than 3 reps left in the tank).

    This is what I don't know:

    • Compound movements hit multiple muscle groups at the same time, but not with the same intensity. For example take bench press: if I do 5 sets of 10 (close to failure), then do I count it to not only to the chest, but also the triceps and maybe even to the shoulders?I am sure we have to count more muscle groups, because by not doing so would we would end up with very long workouts, but I am not sure how to do it.
    • Is there an example routine which follows the above mentioned programming requirements?
    • Bonus: Right now I am doing 5/3/1 BBB and I am unsure about my assistance. (I know about the 50-100 push, pull, core/single leg rule.) Can anybody help me out what exercises would be optimal to do?
    submitted by /u/1HungarianThrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a beginner with a sliiightly rounded back, am I lifting too heavy?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 08:33 PM PDT

    M24, 5'8, 159lbs, I'd say around 15% BF. Been training for 1 month (4-5 solid workouts a week) mostly barbell work, the big 3, working on that progressive overload. My form is not so bad, but I keep trying to get all the details right.

    The only exercise I'm worried is the deadlift. Last workout i managed 3 x 4 at 242lbs. Problem is my upper back as always been slightly rounded as I always spent a lot of time on my desk. And so even when I'm giving my best to have a straight spine during the lift, I'm always slightly worried. Should I stop increasing deadlift weight until I "fix" my back? Few years ago I had a doctor say my back was fine and it was the result of my muscles but I felt like he just wanted me to stop bothering him.

    submitted by /u/PacinoPacino
    [link] [comments]

    TSA beginner 9 week powerlifting program

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 03:56 AM PDT

    Hi guys

    I'm 25 and have dabbled in gym for years. I was just never consistent enough because I just did mostly what I felt like for my workouts and focused on low weight body building type exercises

    Recently I want to go into powerlifting specfic training because I want to build true strength and to follow a set program. My friend recommended the TSA beginner program because it gives a good frequency and intensity. The program is also not linear in the sense that almost every week is different so it keeps the experience fresh

    Just here asking others if they have run the program and their opinions. And more experienced lifters, what their opinions are on the program and if I should just stick to a linear weekly program

    Thanks. Please let me know if I shouldn't post this here and I will remove (it's my first time)

    Stats 168cm 77kg Bench - 105kg Squat - 140kg Deadlift - 150kg

    submitted by /u/junkemail1
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Push Exercises That are Easier on the Shoulders.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:06 AM PDT

    Hey, I've been in a month long push/pull/leg routine coupled with 2 seperate days of running or rucking. An issue that im beginning to notice is that on my push days, my shoulders get worked the hardest and ache the most throughout the week. Of course this isn't a bad thing but I want to make sure that I take full advantage of my push day to target my chest and triceps more effectively. Ive also noticed that most of my push day workouts all have shoulder motion involved such as pushups, flyes, overhead presses and more. Any advice on what should I do?

    submitted by /u/Pigeon_ACTL
    [link] [comments]

    Cycling in the morning and leg day in the evening?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 10:05 AM PDT

    Does anyone have advice on cycling and doing leg day on the same day? I do squats (5x5), reverse lunges (3x10), and calf raises (3x10) three times a week. My squat weight is rapidly approaching 200, on track for this Thursday.

    I'm also an avid cyclist, and I took advantage of some cooler than usual weather this morning went on a pretty easy 30 mile ride, but with some more challenging hills. I can definitely feel that my legs (especially quads) got a good workout on the ride.

    Today is one of my leg days. I workout in the evening on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I can't delay until tomorrow due to schedule conflicts on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Should I attempt a full leg routine today, or rest my legs until Tuesday?

    submitted by /u/flyzapper
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner Rings + Weights workout

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 06:47 PM PDT

    Yo. Thinking of buying some gymnastic rings and attaching them to garage ceiling, and incorporating them in workouts but ultimately not sure of how to program this with weights aswell.

    Main goal = get bigger and look thick, solid and tight (prefer hypertrophy programs to strength ones).

    Equipment = Bench, db, barbell, pullup and dip bar, gymnastic rings

    My problem is: if i focus on gymnastic rings first, ill be too fucked to even try the weights after. But i still want to do a decent amount of ring work aswell. Can someone help my overthinking ass with a simple workout program

    I wanted to incorporate a full body ring workout ideally but not sure how practical that is e.g. as seen in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTL8HZmEadk or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTL8HZmEadk.

    anyone have their own rings + weights program theyd be able to share

    submitted by /u/aliano124
    [link] [comments]

    How to slow down and go for steady progress instead of trying to rush to my goal weight?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 04:51 PM PDT

    Okay so I'm a very impatient person when I want something that will make me happy I want it as soon as possible so I'll rush, trying different methods to reach my goal, but every time I do that I'll burn myself out and relapse back into old habits. Taking it slow just seems to long for me.

    Anyone else dealt with this? How did you manage to keep yourself in line and what was your reasoning/motivation to slow down?

    submitted by /u/Throwawaymylifepls43
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to organize exercise for shorter workouts?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 04:16 PM PDT

    I am a high schooler going into my junior year, and with everything I have going on it is going to be a very busy year. I have been workout out consistently over the summer, and I want to continue that into the school year. However, I tend to spend a lot of time working out, and this is not going to be something I can keep up. What is the best way for me to balance strength training with a good amount of cardio without spending too much time working out?

    submitted by /u/RoccoMightWin
    [link] [comments]

    Cutting fat whilst eating enough for an advanced training level

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 11:41 AM PDT

    I currently weigh 213lbs at 6'4, about 17% body fat.

    I train to what I think most would consider a fairly advanced level - combining 4 resistance sessions per week with about 35 miles of running per week. My sessions (both resistance and runs) vary between lower intensity and higher intensity, e.g. some sprints sessions and HIIT circuits, some weights sessions, some endurance runs including a weekly half marathon.

    The closest comparison would be CrossFit although I don't attend a CF gym or associate with the branding in any way.

    I have been trying to cut down about 10lbs of body fat for literally months now. This is because I'll shortly be rejoining training for my country's Special Operations forces and I don't want any extra fluff for the selection and training elements.

    I count calories on MyFitnessPal however I can't seem to strike the right balance between energy to train and recover, and fat loss.

    When I cut down to any more than a 200 or 300 kcal deficit I immediately start seeing a decline in performance and feel a lot shittier. I train best at a slight surplus (~200kcals) but obviously I won't shed any weight this way.

    I feel like I've tried everything now. Is it time to just bite the bullet and suffer a few weeks of shitty training in order to lose the fat?

    I don't understand how all the pro CF athletes have such low bodyfat percentages and bulging abs either. I've replicated some of their diets before but the fat simply won't shift.

    Many thanks

    submitted by /u/highg0als89
    [link] [comments]

    DEXA scan not expected results after 30 days.

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 03:55 PM PDT

    Age: 37 male about 165cm indian

    Diet: I do four hour body which has worked for me before and also I restrict to 1500 calories. I take about 100-130g of protein every day the extra 30 on the days I work out.

    Work out: I hired a lifting trainer and have been doing 3 sessions for 1 hour for the last 1 month.

    It usually involves lot of bench presses and over head squats. I have avoided dead lifts since my back gets really sore so my trainer is working on improving my core strength before putting me on dead lift again. I currently bench about 100 pound 3x5 and about same for squats.

    Dexa result : I have lost about 2 lbs in pound but I'm more worried about loosing 1.4lbs in muscle especially about 0.8lbs in my arms.

    I'm certainly lifting and benching more so why have I lost muscle?

    Also my shirts and pants are already loose so I'm more confused.

    410-CAF6-B-860-F-4-C09-B47-E-FA863-E36-A690.jpg

    Update: I also did a RMR around same time 30 days ago so my rate was about 1300 kcal per day

    submitted by /u/Nadigan
    [link] [comments]

    How long should I bulk for?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 01:53 PM PDT

    Hi guys, I'm a beginner lifter who started a bulk four months ago. I'm 17 and I've been naturally skinny my whole life. I'm 6'1 and just hit 155 lbs (was 140 when i started) my question is about what weight I should stop bulking, since with my muscle mass gains obviously came some fat gains (I'm not fat or anything, but I don't have the 'skinny guy six-pack' anymore that I used to have), I would estimate my body fat at about 17-18%.

    submitted by /u/lthunderfoxl
    [link] [comments]

    Paused squats with no weights for mucle growth?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 11:43 AM PDT

    I've been searching on r/fitness and google but apparently people only do paused squats with weights. I was wondering if it would build muscle like gymnasts who just hang on hoops for a prolonged period of time, they have huuuge biceps, so I was wondering if no weight, paused squats for prolonged times would have a same end result as I have no gym to go to currently, or would it just bulid strength.

    submitted by /u/MYMOUTHISNUMmn
    [link] [comments]

    Does not working out your back have any big drawbacks?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 05:27 PM PDT

    I am 22 m and i have been working out for like 8 months, my legs and arms are pretty big and my abs show. i have never liked working my back, so i never did because i think there is no point working on my back if i dont like doing it. So is there any big drawbacks to it?

    submitted by /u/oookoo
    [link] [comments]

    How should I go about getting ripped?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 01:27 PM PDT

    So I have been working out off and off for the past 6 years. Overall I have done good progress. For the past three months I have been trying to get really lean, I want to reveal my abs, which are pretty big and strong at this point but are covered by a thin layer of fat. So. I have been reducing my caloric intake really slowly to avoid losing lean muscle. I work out at home (due to lockdown) with elastic bands and some dumbells 4 times per week. My workouts are pretty solid and demanding. I also run for 45 minutes 2 or 3 times a week. But, so far, I have been unable to lose any signican amount of fat, my abs still aren't very visible, I do notice that my shoulders, calves and forearms are more ripped. I wonder if I should be running every day or if I should get less calories the days that I workout but do not run or the days that I run but do not workout or maybe the days that I don't workout or run. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Shaolinmonkey11
    [link] [comments]

    Physique Phriday

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Physique Phriday thread

    What's the point of having people guess your body fat? Nevermind that it's the most inaccurate method available, (read: most likely way wrong - see here) you're still just putting an arbitrary number to the body you have. Despite people's claim that they are shooting for a number, they're really shooting for look - like a six pack.

    So let's stopping mucking around with trivialities and get to the heart of the matter. This thread shall serve two purposes:

    1. Physique critiques. Post some pics and ask about muscles or body parts you need to work on. Or specifically ask about a lagging body part and what exercises worked for others.
    2. An outlet for people that want to show off their efforts that would otherwise be removed due to Rule 4, and

    Let's keep things civil, don't be a creep, and adhere to Rule 1. This isn't a thread to announce what you find attractive in a mate. Please use the report function for any comments that are out of line.

    So phittit, what's your physique pheel like this phriday?

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment