• Breaking News

    Monday, July 27, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: M/20/5'10'' - 1 Year of Gaining - 115lbs to 138lbs (+23 lbs)

    Beginner Fitness: M/20/5'10'' - 1 Year of Gaining - 115lbs to 138lbs (+23 lbs)


    M/20/5'10'' - 1 Year of Gaining - 115lbs to 138lbs (+23 lbs)

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 08:41 AM PDT

    Was told to post here. Hopefully, this will motivate others to keep on keeping on.

    Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/NTgkxR8
    For my European/metric friends, I am 1.78 meters and went from 52kg to 62.6kg in a year (+10.6kg).

    Diet: For the first six months, I ate ~2500 kcal. The last six months, I ate ~3000 kcal. Progressive overload. I have no restrictions but eat mostly whole foods.

    Routine: For the first six months, I did Reddit's Bodyweight Fitness routine. Then I got a gym membership and started Reddit's PPL routine. I am sedentary outside of the gym, and my only cardio is walking.

    Lifts: Started with the bar (45lbs) for Bench/Squat/Deadlift, 5 reps. Now I can bench and squat 135lbs for 8 reps, and deadlift 185lbs for 5 reps. I have not tested 1RM and do not plan to.

    Mistakes that I made:
    1. Not eating enough. Can't gain weight without a caloric surplus.
    2. Ego lifting. The weight on the bar really doesn't matter if you don't have a reasonable range of motion. Also, injuries are more likely to happen.
    3. Worrying about fat gain. I was (and still am) skinny but scared of putting on fat. In hindsight, that really limited my progress, and I could have done significantly better in terms of my lifts if I stopped overthinking. Putting on some body fat is part of gaining. Building muscle is hard but shedding fat is easy.

    Things I did correctly:
    1. Tracked calories and lifts. This is the most important thing!
    2. Followed a lifting routine and applied progressive overload. Sometimes I didn't improve from session to session but I made sure to do more from week to week.
    3. Consistent sleep and rest. Muscle is broken down in the gym and repaired out of the gym.

    I would like to specifically thank /u/Oatsandwhey, /u/MythicalStrength, /u/FuckingEatMore. Also, huge props to the /r/gainit for the awesome recipes and motivational posts.

    Thanks for reading! We're all gonna make it.

    submitted by /u/fight_never_stop
    [link] [comments]

    What are good to-go restaurants to eat healthier?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 10:33 PM PDT

    I doordash so most of the time I grab something in my car. Is there any other options besides chipotle?

    submitted by /u/SackOfFlesh
    [link] [comments]

    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 12:30 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have a Peloton or The Mirror? Looking at both and curious what “real people” think.

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 11:44 PM PDT

    If anyone has either one I'd love to hear what you think and any pros/cons you can come up with!

    I used to be in shape, and gained 50lbs due to a medication and am desperate to get back to what I used to look like and be in shape again. I've cleaned up my eating pretty well and need to work on the fitness aspect now. I have been leaning towards checking out a Peloton bike bc I like to bike, I feel like it'd be a good way to start cardio to eventually get back to running, and I like the competitive aspect. Someone I know has "The Mirror" and mentioned how great it is, however with my current lack of fitness, I tend to do better/work out more when I have a machine to use as opposed to just my body weight. However, because I'm so used to being fit I have a really hard time trying to workout like I used to, and getting upset when I fail. I literally don't know how to exercise at the weight I'm at, so The Mirror may be a better option because I can do lower impact "slower" stuff to start like yoga and Pilates, which I'm also interested in.

    submitted by /u/trippapotamus
    [link] [comments]

    Strength/Cardio Ratio

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 04:59 AM PDT

    So I'm not exactly trying to lose weight, more so lose the nagging fat I have from bad dieting over the years. I don't have very much in terms of workout equipment AT ALL, but I've been making do and I've lost inches, toned, etc. Up until now I've looked at strength training as a way to build muscle first, and cardio as a way to burn fat/lose weight first. I know that they both are capable of all the above, though. So my question is how much of my workouts should be cardio focused vs strength focused? Right now I dedicate Monday/Tuesday/Friday upper body exercises and Wednesday/Thursday/Saturday to cardio (about a solid half hour of cardio each day). Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/ThreeEyedOG
    [link] [comments]

    Shorter version of nSuns?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 05:18 AM PDT

    I have been doing a 5-day nSuns and enjoying it, making good progress over the course of the year or so I have been doing it. Obviously I haven't been in the gym for the past 3 months or so and have been doing home workouts, keeping cals low and doing cardio.

    My gym is now reopened but due to restrictions we have to reserve time in 45 minute blocks. There's no way that my workout partner and I can do the full nSuns in 45 minutes (it usually took us an hour to get through the T1/T2). Can someone suggest a shorter workout that has a similar progression style?

    submitted by /u/RUNPMT
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know anything close to ghost legend Rebberry?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 02:40 AM PDT

    When doing low carb one of the few flavour things I look forward to is a nice preworkout. Ghost legend redberry was delicious but of course they've discontinued it. Does anyone know of a preworkout with a similar taste?

    submitted by /u/Nice-Respond
    [link] [comments]

    If you have a less-than-expected amount of time for the gym, do you hit all your lifts with less sets or do you do full sets of some lifts and miss the rest entirely that day?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 12:37 PM PDT

    Say you've running late one day and can only fit in half your ideal gym time. Do you cut a couple reps from each lift you'd normally do, or do you hit your primary lifts in full and just skip a couple accessory lifts entirely that day?

    I cut one or two sets from each lift (depending on how much time I think I have) and try to hit all the muscle groups still. Does anyone do the opposite, and entirely commit to just a few lifts?

    submitted by /u/NavigateByAstrology
    [link] [comments]

    T1 and T2 lifts progress differently with nSuns, what to do?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 02:01 AM PDT

    Hello everyone.

    I'm on the nSuns app looking to start the journey soon, but I was wondering how to change some things. The training maxes for the front squat and the normal squat are the same and, once one is changed, the other changes with it. I find this very unproductive as I'm significantly weaker in the front squat than I am with the normal squat, however I can't keep changing both constantly. Same problem goes for the close grip bench and normal bench, although the difference there is not as significant.

    Another question, I understand that you use the 1+ set to increase the main lifts, how do I determine how to increase the T2 lifts? They don't have any "+" set from what I've seen so I'm not sure how to increase the weight and by how much. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Psychological_Salad_
    [link] [comments]

    Is regular jumping a good exercise?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 05:15 AM PDT

    This might sound a bit like a weird question, but is jumping, without rope or anything, a good exercise? It's easy and you don't need anything for it except some space. I was wondering if this might strengthen your legs (especially knees, which is beneficial for runners etc)? I also get out of breath quite quickly when jumping, so maybe it burn calories as well?

    submitted by /u/tortoise315
    [link] [comments]

    Weighted vests and cardio, a bad idea?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 04:28 AM PDT

    I recently bought a 20lbs weighted vest. I love using it to add resistance to push-ups and pull-ups. But I'm hesitant to do cardio with it, particularly running. I've heard it can be bad for your joints. What's your take on this?

    submitted by /u/harry_powell
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to bulk without counting

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 11:33 PM PDT

    Hi!

    Im currently coming off over a year under single digit BF% and main gaining. But, lately I've felt sick and tired of eating bare minimum. Lifts not going up and body not changing too much. Strength is the same.

    I dont like counting calories unless I'm cutting. Question is, how stupid is it to bulk without counting calories? I'm very prone to eating disorders so I dont want to get fixated on the numbers due to that.

    If you want to peep my physique its on my profile. I've gained 3kg since then.

    submitted by /u/jfrtohbo
    [link] [comments]

    How do people run and lift for an hour or more?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 11:02 PM PDT

    Whenever I see absolute beginners asking a trainer how to gain stamina and strength, I usually hear running and lifting for an hour as part of the plan. I never actually had an hour long workout and I'm still debating if I should. I personally lift a comfortable weight that's not too heavy till failure with each set (I don't count). Even then, I could only last 30-45 minutes. When I go running, I run for however long I can complete my fastest time for a mile which is a little below 7 minutes. Am I not training hard enough? I mean, I like to keep my workouts short (which is why I go to failure or till I'm numb) yet pushing them to my personal absolute limit.

    submitted by /u/soulsaremylife
    [link] [comments]

    Weighted Running vs. Normal running

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 03:17 PM PDT

    I picked up the Habit of running with a 10kg (22lbs) vest instead of going for a normal run and I am not sure which method is better. I am Faster without the vest but my heartrate is lower and the weighted run is slower but my heartrate is higher. Which way is more effectiv for Building stamina?

    submitted by /u/traceur2301001
    [link] [comments]

    Can only workout on Friday Saturday Sunday

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 04:46 AM PDT

    Due to me being in the military now I can only workout during the weekends, I wish to workout 3 full body consecutively but it has been difficult finding one online, any suggestion, perhaps heavy/light/medium? But I still don't really know how to program this so that I can recover properly

    submitted by /u/MazeOwner
    [link] [comments]

    My gym does not allow chalk, is there anything else I can use?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 09:26 PM PDT

    So recently my gym decided to become a chalk free facility after some people complained about mess from chalk on the floor and on the power bars

    This has become a problem for my bench and deadlifts since I almost always use chalk for my heavy sets such as 120 bench for reps and 200 deadlifts for reps. I don't like straps because I want to train my grip strength, especially in deadlifts

    Are there any products I can use for the grip assistance aspect but none of the messiness?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/maplenew60
    [link] [comments]

    Would a farmer walk handle make a good dumbbell substitute in a one-arm row?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 08:49 PM PDT

    I like doing one-arm dumbbell rows, but it's pretty much the only dumbbell exercise I think I could ever need to go higher than a 150 lbs dumbbell for. I was wondering if a farmer walk handle could do the trick so I don't need to purchase heavy dumbbells just for rows. I'm not sure if the length of the bar would make it feel awkward though.

    If anyone has experience trying this or has access to a farmer walk handle to try it, your input would be very appreciated.

    submitted by /u/B05SxBrennan
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for direction after losing weight, getting leaner and hoping to gain strength. Went from 162lbs > 140lbs from Jan-Jul '20 whilst working out 3-4 times a week, not sure whether to drop my weight further for better appearance before focusing on gains? M/27/5'5"/165cm

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 04:20 AM PDT

    Hi all! I'm hoping that I can get some constructive advice on where to take my fitness journey. It started this year with a resolution to better myself and work on my anxiety. I took up bodyweight exercise and calisthenics, and massively changed up my eating habits.

    I was around 165lbs at the end of last year.

    I dropped down to around 145lbs by June, and now I'm hovering around 140-142lbs whilst trying to gain slowly. Also growing a beard!

    I'm eager to continue my regular workouts and ensure I'm eating as cleanly as possible. I am struggling a little with loose skin around my belly and sides, but I am starting to see some definition. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I've always admired a more 'ripped' physique, and I wonder if I could stand to lose a little more weight before building?

    At this point I'm wondering if my loose skin will stop me seeing much definition around my abs or sides, and instead I should just focus on strength and building muscle?

    submitted by /u/RossyRossy
    [link] [comments]

    First day at the gym

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 04:47 AM PDT

    I just got back from the gym and the trainer on my question how should i train recommended for me to do only Squats, Deadlifts, Dumbbell Row, Bench Press, and Overhead Press, every other day, he also said i shouldn't stress about what i eat because i'm skinny guy, that i could for now eat everything. I must say, i kinda like that plan and i'm looking forward to try it.

    I know i need to eat a lot more than i'm used to, so i will try to eat as much as i can as healthy as i can (my budget is a little tight).

    What do you guys think overall and what should i add to improve my training plan. My goal is to gain weight, have a decent looking physique and to improve my posture.

    My body type is Ectomorph

    Weight: 70 kg

    Height: 188 cm

    (Sorry for grammar mistakes)

    submitted by /u/madara1996
    [link] [comments]

    How to guarantee a great workout? (Weightlifting)

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 08:11 AM PDT

    So my workouts have been very hit or miss lately. I tried working out this morning after waking up feeling refreshed. Took a little preworkout and got started. I couldn't really get into the groove and just felt lethargic and couldn't get a decent pump going.

    Other days I get into the gym and have amazing workouts and get the most massive pumps. What can I do to achieve more "satisfying" workouts?

    submitted by /u/BrrToe
    [link] [comments]

    Do i need to have a high amount of protein when just getting back into the gym?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 01:54 PM PDT

    Just getting back into the gym for first time in 4 months due to lockdown, as a result i'm lifting around 50% of what i was lifting in March. Is there much use in having protein shakes now and if not when should i start?

    submitted by /u/gstarguru
    [link] [comments]

    is there any major drawbacks for incorrect benchpress form?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 10:44 PM PDT

    So im just starting to try benchpresses for general fitness reasons (I dont plan on doing super heavy stuff), and my brother who I would say is way more fit then me says I should stick to push ups, because I can fuck myself up if my form is bad. Now he has me a little worried I'm not exactly sure if he was exaggerating or not so it would be nice to have some confirmation for if bad form will "fuck me up" or just give me less/no gains. Note that I have tried searching up on this, but I found more stuff saying what incorrect form looks like other then how it affects said person doing it.

    submitted by /u/Red-hitt
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment