• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 7, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 07, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 07, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 07, 2020

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Where do I go from here?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 12:58 AM PDT

    Hi All

    I'm fairly new to regular fitness work so I'd really appreciate any help in working out (no pun intended!) where I go from here.

    I started regularly working out last October. I was around 180lb (Male, 33, 5'11")

    I did around 5x cardio per week and quickly lost quite a bit of weight. Then earlier this year I made a little gym in my garage with a pull up bar, squat rack/bench and a barbell with 20kg weight on it.

    For the last couple of months I've been doing a daily 20 min weight circuit of pull ups, bench press, dips and some ab exercises like V ups and flutter kicks, in addition to 5-6 runs or bike rides per week. My TDEE is around 2,000 cals per day but I normally net around 1,600-1,700 after exercise so running in a small deficit each day.

    Fast forward to today and I am now 157lb and have taken 2 inches off the chest and 3 inches off the waist. You can see my abs a fair bit more but I still feel like I'm carrying a fair bit more body fat than I would like.

    However I'm very slight of build (really thin forearms, wrists, ankles etc) and think if I keep running in a calorie deficit and maintaining this level of workout I'm going to end up looking ill, rather than fit, which is something I'm very keen to avoid! I've dropped down from a Med clothing size to a small and even small t-shirts can be a bit loose.

    So my question is how do I improve my physique from here? I don't want to 'get big', I'm happy with the general 'size' I am, but I want to look more athletic. Here is a before and after (though the before is from like 3 years ago when I was a fair bit bigger again!) Pic

    Do I drop the cardio and do more weights? Increase the weight or keep it the same? Focus on ab routines? Do I keep running in a calorie deficit or switch to maintenance? I still feel like I'm carrying quite a bit more fat around the abs and waist than I'd like but the fact that I'm already feeling like small t shirts can be too big is a weird feeling.

    Anyway sorry for the long post and any help would be gratefully received!

    submitted by /u/BRISTOL_86
    [link] [comments]

    Work on days off

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 01:23 AM PDT

    I'm following GZCLP after having done Phrak's Greyskull LP for around 6 months. I've been on a constant aggressive cut since I had a lot of weight to lose, I'm 80lb down and currently 154lb at 5'9". I know that's approaching pretty light for my height but I have some stubborn fat around my belly that must go.

    Anyway, I'm wondering if it would be detrimental to throw in some conditioning stuff on my days off like I did with Greyskull, ie sets of pushups / pullups throughout the day. On (most of) my days off I'm running for between 20-30 minutes.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/riggers_vr
    [link] [comments]

    Pain in my quads after OHP from bench

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 03:34 AM PDT

    I've been doing ICF for about 2,5 months now. Ever since the lockdown, I've been working out at home and the only equipment i have is a bench press and some weights. So I've been doing sort of a front squat motion to lift the bar for OHPs and it worked so far. But just now, when i tried to do the motion my right quad (upper knee) got this burning sensation and pain and im not sure if i can keep going like this. Do any of y'all have any recommendations for how to get the bar to position or even replacement workouts for OHP? Thank you for reading my post.

    submitted by /u/friedchickenshit
    [link] [comments]

    One handed farmer carries work which side more?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 04:44 AM PDT

    So I have scoliosis and someone suggested me to do it to improve my core strength and balance. If I hold the dumbbell on my right hand would it work more of my right or left obliques? I have S shaped scoliosis with side bent to the left (my right shoulder is higher). Thanks

    submitted by /u/akirafujikawa
    [link] [comments]

    Carb Cycling on keto once every 2 weeks. Good idea or dont bother?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 10:18 PM PDT

    Been following a keto lifestyle for about 22 months now, down about 65 pounds. Love the lifestyle, works very well for me and my body, as well as my health and blood work. I consume maybe 8 carbs a day now and I love it. So if anyone comes in here and says "Keto is bad blah blah" i'll just ignore it since it literally changed my life forever (in more ways than just weight)

    Anywho, I heard that there are lots of people who carb cycle with a low carb diet, every 2nd day or so. Thing is, I do not function well with carbs in my body, but sometimes its nice to treat myself. I was thinking of doing a carb cycle day once every two weeks. This would NOT consist of sugar, but more things like rice (maybe sushi), or a thin crust pizza, maybe even pasta or something.

    Is there any benefit to doing a single carb cycle day every 2 weeks? I do enjoy having foods I wouldnt normally eat... so maybe its just that, a change of scenery? Is there any benefit to just doing ONE day? I will be weight lifting and working out that day as well if that makes a difference but will remain in a deficit.

    (If anyone knows keto, I am 100% fully fat adapted, and even with high carb days my blood ketones are still high, so I am not worried about getting kicked out ketosis or anything)

    Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

    edit: before anyone asks why I didnt post this in keto subreddit, if you mention ANYTHING about a carb day, you'll get auto banned or removed.

    submitted by /u/mc_donkey
    [link] [comments]

    Can I build chest with only dumbbells and no bench?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:07 PM PDT

    I recently got a pair of adjustable dumbbells, since I won't be able to go to the gym in a while. I don't have a bench at home so I've been doing chest presses and flies on the floor. Will this be effective in building a bigger chest, or should I invest in a bench?

    submitted by /u/kamalasacop2
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment