• Breaking News

    Friday, July 31, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 31, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 31, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 31, 2020

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Will jogging during my walk burn more calories?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 06:03 PM PDT

    This may be a stupid question, but this is the first time I've actually done "cardio" on a consistent basis. I was overweight as a child and half my teen years and lost a lot of fat basically all from lifting and dieting. Until now I haven't really done much cardio and recently decided to start practicing it regularly; I'm quite enjoying it actually!

    I like to take a 4 mile "power walk" at roughly 3.5-4 mph just to burn off some extra calories. Recently during my walks, I've been jogging sections of it to speed things up, theoretically burning more calories. Since I'm new to this I'm not too sure if there's something I'm missing.

    My question is would jogging sections of my walk (almost like interval jogging..?) burn additional calories than had I just walked the entire 4 miles at a constant walking speed?

    submitted by /u/Jeff_the_Cabal
    [link] [comments]

    How to keep going?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 03:52 PM PDT

    I am 24f and have gone down from 240 to 200 with dieting. I hit a stall so I bought an elliptical. I do HIIT and try to do 30 but I'm on day 4 and only managed to get to 10 mins (better than my 5 mins on day 1!). I am literally dripping sweat and have to lay down and die for a bit after because I'm so wobbly and tired. I get so light headed and hot.

    Questions- how long should it take before I can get up to 30 mins of HIIT on the elliptical? How long before I stop literally dying afterwards? I have also been doing arm exercises with weights. Any tips for motivation? I hope one day I can enjoy this ... :)

    submitted by /u/wanderlust2422
    [link] [comments]

    Quitting smoking reduces run time?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    Hi guys, I stopped smoking at the start of July. I've had a few slip ups on a few occasions I've gotten drunk but I haven't had a sober cigarette all month and I'm pretty proud of it.

    Nothing else about my behaviour has changed, however I play soccer and I find this month I need far more frequent subsitutes because I'm gassed as and lose my breath much more quickly.

    Does anyone have any explanation for this?

    submitted by /u/late_dingo
    [link] [comments]

    Physique Phriday

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Physique Phriday thread

    What's the point of having people guess your body fat? Nevermind that it's the most inaccurate method available, (read: most likely way wrong - see here) you're still just putting an arbitrary number to the body you have. Despite people's claim that they are shooting for a number, they're really shooting for look - like a six pack.

    So let's stopping mucking around with trivialities and get to the heart of the matter. This thread shall serve two purposes:

    1. Physique critiques. Post some pics and ask about muscles or body parts you need to work on. Or specifically ask about a lagging body part and what exercises worked for others.
    2. An outlet for people that want to show off their efforts that would otherwise be removed due to Rule 4, and

    Let's keep things civil, don't be a creep, and adhere to Rule 1. This isn't a thread to announce what you find attractive in a mate. Please use the report function for any comments that are out of line.

    So phittit, what's your physique pheel like this phriday?

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    When should I increase my weights

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 02:32 AM PDT

    Okay so I just started to go to the gym but since it's vacation I can't get in touch with a personal training (bruh moment). Therefore I'm asking u guys.

    I work out twice a week (is that enough for fast muscle gain?), both being full body workouts.

    So my question is: when should I increase the weights I'm lifting to get the best results? And how many kgs should I increase it with?

    N.B. I'm hitting the gym because I'm fairly skinny and I want to get an athletic build, if possible within the next year.

    Thanks a lot guys

    submitted by /u/notoriousnutcracker
    [link] [comments]

    Hope some can answer, where am I suppose to feel kneeling one arm rows?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 08:12 PM PDT

    I know it's the last I think, when I do them I feel them on the opposite sides, like when rowing with my right I feel the left lat activate, and left row I feel my right lat activating . Is that correct/normal? New to kneeling one arm rows, recently started incorporating them, thanks.

    submitted by /u/rely559
    [link] [comments]

    I know this may seem weird...

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 11:06 PM PDT

    But, what should I work out most if I have the need to carry around a 150lbs person that's afraid to walk? Piggy back pack , harness?

    submitted by /u/WashoutLaneMeyer
    [link] [comments]

    Clean and Press good for beginners?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 12:45 AM PDT

    I used to go to the gym and we did that exercise but it's been about a year and I'm sure I've lost everything I've gained. I don't want to injure myself. I have weak upper body strength

    submitted by /u/_Mountain_Water
    [link] [comments]

    Muscle tightness caused by weird body proportions

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 12:32 AM PDT

    I don't know if I should be posting this here but here is the problem I have been facing for years and cannot find a solution to this weird ongoing issue;

    I am a 25 year old guy, and I have immense muscle soreness and tightness, especially in the hamstring and quads area but overall it's all over my body. I feel it's due to weird proportions and late growth spurt at age of 19. Befote that I have never experienced this. I feel due to my femur bones growing long and hips growing wider compare to my waist is the issue here. Also a very undesirable look for a guy. I have very muscular, long and heavy thighs compared to my lower legs, arms and torso. My hips also look very wider compared to my waist. Basicslly feels I have extra bone in femur and wider hips for rest of my frame. I feel my hamstrings and quads did not adapt to this extra bone growth and mechanically I have to bend down my back and arms more to reach something at knee height or ground which tires out my shoulders and back as well.

    I have done xrays of my back and legs and there is nothing wrong with the bones. So proffesionals just told me to do stretching and basically said it's only upto me to fix this muscle tightness and soreness as bones cannot be changed, obviously. I have tried doing all the hamstring, hip flexor and back stretches but it's only a temporary relief.

    I don't know what else to try, even walking for a mile would have my whole body sore. What else can I try to lessen this pain?

    submitted by /u/Mining_Boy20
    [link] [comments]

    Working out problems would love help

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 03:49 AM PDT

    14M So I have a double jointed shoulder and doing exercises involving it makes it start to hurt quick, any suggestions as I don't want to just not workout my shoulder and have it out of proportion compared to the rest of my body

    submitted by /u/Magoosey4231_
    [link] [comments]

    Help me get back to my old self.

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 03:48 AM PDT

    Hello everyone! Sorry if this is not the right place for this but these past few years have really taken a toll on my health. So long story short,i started working out when i was 17, i was a skinny male with a small frame.Started working out to get some size and over 2 years i got decent results back in 2016. I was now in somewhat decent shape and pushed further another year and was able to achieve somewhat good enough physique.This was in 2017. Now i was in medical school and it got really hectic to maintain the meals and workout and with all the academic pressure.We used to live in a hostel and couldn't make my own meals(No cooking was allowed inside the rooms) Now i stopped working out and ate all kinds of junk for 1-2 years and eventually it caught up to me.Now i lost most of my gains made over that period of time.Now i am finally out of medical school and today is a really happy moment for me but when looked myself in the mirror it makes me kinda sad.I wish i had been more efficient in time management back then.But its all in the past.So i really need you guys to help this poor dude with some guidance.Any workout plans,my weak areas to focus and any other thing that can help me get back up and be better than my previous self.Thank you.Hoping for a positive response.Peace. P.S Pardon me if this is a wrong sub to ask this.:) Stats- Age-23 Weight- 73kg Height- 5 feet 8 inches Here is an attachment of my progress and current shape. 2017 and 2020 (current)

    submitted by /u/shazhank3385
    [link] [comments]

    Can I do this?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 03:34 AM PDT

    I'm almost 16 yo and in my training schedule i do 17 push ups without pause, is it better if i do 10 then take a 10s pause and do 10 more?

    submitted by /u/Foenix_DBL
    [link] [comments]

    I get called FatLogic for saying some bodies act weird

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 03:32 AM PDT

    If I eat 2500kcal everyday and don't work out, I should get heavier. But I don't.

    The day I start working out with 2500kcal/day, I get heavier.

    That is to say, just working out without focusing on diet yet is a terrible idea for me and maybe for most people who are putting on weight easily.

    But people keep saying that's not how it works. Yet this is how my body has always worked.

    Maybe I need 2000 a day and then my body uses the remaining 500kcal in different ways. I tend to overheat when I eat too much, and not when I diet, so it's probably a good hint. And the day I start working out on 2500kcal, maybe the body finds a new usage for these 500kcal and starts building muscle and stocks.

    And similarly, if I go down to 1500kcal without workout, I'll loose fat and muscle quickly, but if I workout my weight loss will be a lot slower (but probably more efficient on losing only fat, so that's what we want). Despite it's not logical to expect to loose weight slower while working out.

    What do you think? Makes sense or it's fat logic nonsense?

    submitted by /u/Eastuss
    [link] [comments]

    How do you guys deal with work and then working out before/after?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 03:49 PM PDT

    So, I work 4AM-1PM and when I get home from standing on my feet all day long, I get home and my feet ache and the last thing I want to do is work out, mostly in fear of hurting my legs/feet even more and then being dead at work the next day(s).

    Are there ways to recover faster? All I'm doing right now is running outside for about a mile. I've taken yesterday and today off from running to let my feet/thighs recover because they've been burning from the running the past couple days, haha.

    Would be ideal to workout/run after work since getting up at 3AM is already a pain.

    Side note: working out / running is new to me. I'm just now getting into fitness. I'm 26 and slim/average weight.

    submitted by /u/Tuisdheisj
    [link] [comments]

    Why is 10,000 steps the generic goal

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 08:14 PM PDT

    Bought a knock off of a Fitbit and was just wondering if it's like that for all of them and if the number 10,000 is just a good starting point to achieve after these months of staying inside and less active

    submitted by /u/myshellg88
    [link] [comments]

    Help identifying equipment

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 10:32 PM PDT

    Alright, I suplicate myself before you all after numerous Google searches. I recently saw on Instagram (and foolishly didn't save) and ingenious piece of workout equipment that I need to identify. Basically the concept was this : the athlete stands on two raised platforms with a gap between them. In this gap below the athlete is a fan and pulley system like that of a fan rower machine. The pulley system was connected to a belt that the athlete wore around their waist. As the athlete squatted, the acceleration upward was resisted by the fan in the same way a rowing machine resists when one pulls away. This caused resistance equal to the exact amount of force that the athlete was putting into the ground with the squat on each and every rep. I have no idea what this rig or set up is called, but I want to either build one myself or purchase one. However to do either I need a name. Can anyone here help me out?

    submitted by /u/jackof10trades
    [link] [comments]

    How can I stay committed to a diet?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 10:13 PM PDT

    Hey everyone. I was once really overweight and now that i'm not, im pretty happy with my overall health and physique. However, one goal of mine is to get super lean and ripped. I wanted to get a 6 pack, but every time I just end up like flip flop dieting. I'll diet good and lose a few pounds over a few weeks, then binge and gain it back. I just am having a hard time controlling myself. I don't feel guilty and i'm not super pressed to get myself super lean, but I want to try to get there and maybe sustain it if possible. Anyone have any tips on pushing myself over this slump, and staying motivated and committed to cutting for many weeks straight on end? Thanks

    submitted by /u/marcelthehippo
    [link] [comments]

    How long should you exercise till you see gains?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 11:58 PM PDT

    I want to make it to 60kg at the end of this year. Currently am 59.6 kg. Should I train hard, eat a lot just when I start on 01.08.20 or eat moderately and work hard and ill make it to 60kg in reasonable time?

    submitted by /u/FunFact_Matthias23
    [link] [comments]

    First obstacle race

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 07:15 PM PDT

    Hey guys! I've been working out routinely for many years and have done everything from powerlifting meets to a bodybuilding competition to a half marathon and little fitness ventures in between. Buuutt i have never done a fitness obstacle race until now! My local gym (TrvFit) is hosting their version of an obstacle race, Endeavor, in 8 weeks and i have no idea how to train (and enjoy said training) for it. Ive seen some PDFs from Spartan threads and the prep- workouts are a)not interesting to be and b) not something that i can easily do in my gym setting.

    My questions are: 1) does anyone have a standard 5-day workout program that incorporates HIIT, strength, bodyweight/plyo, and endurance that would help with training for such an event? OR 2) would a stand Push(mon)-Legs (wed)--Pull (Friday) with tues/thurs being HIIT (Thinking 30-60 sec sprint supersetted with a movement for 60 sec) suffice?

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Kristen00715
    [link] [comments]

    A question in regards to where I should start.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 06:30 PM PDT

    Hey r/Fitness.

    I've got some weak knees that I constantly feel the need to stretch, as well as a knotted muscle in my back (right side, between spine and shoulder blade). I was just curious to know if either of these conditions would prevent me from properly getting into a routine. I can lift fine and without pain, but my biggest concern is my knees. Would there be a way to "ease into" a routine or strengthen them without causing any health issues? I would really like to start focusing on personal fitness but this has been holding me back.

    submitted by /u/Weeb-Prime
    [link] [comments]

    Parallel bar dips vs straight bar dips

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 06:03 PM PDT

    So im in a bit of a dilemma here,i am wondering which one of these dips build the chest more.I usually start my chest workouts with parallel bar dips,and ever since i achieved my first muscle up ive barely done straight bar dips.That was like 5 months ago though and i was wondering wether i should start doing straight bar dips instead of the parallel bar dips. Which ones build the chest better and faster? Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/YoungWhizz
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment