• Breaking News

    Friday, July 3, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 03, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 03, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 03, 2020

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    25M/5'10", 108 lbs to 175 lbs - 67 lbs gain. Super skinny to muscular - 1 year 6 months of progress including insightful story

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 01:33 PM PDT

    Background:

    The day was Wednesday 2nd January 2019 - I purchased my first ever gym membership and attended the gym for the first time in my entire life, walking into this unknown with zero knowledge. Prior to this, I had been suffering from severe depression throughout my entire life for multiple reasons such as being bullied, being skinny, experiencing racism and all the rest of the insults that I had received. This almost lead me to try and commit suicide because I just thought life wasn't worth living, so basically the gym/nutrition has give me hope in my life. I had no ambition or drive in my life to want to become a better version of myself, but I won't bog you down too much with that as you're not here for that, right?

    I work a full-time job for 40 hours per week, so I was always that person who thought I never had time for the gym because I worked a full-time job. I was infact mistaken, I just had to find the determination and dedication to put into the gym to make it work out for me, I had to find ways and solutions to be able to eat all the food I eat whilst working, and also attending the gym and getting a good nights sleep.

    I decided that it was time to change everything, it was time to change how I viewed the world, how I viewed myself as a person and how I viewed my life. I wanted to make something of myself and I wanted to be the reason that many more people that are/have been in the same situation as me can also change themselves for the better and improve little tiny things in their lifestyles - I will be making my Instagram account dedicated to fitness, healthy nutrition, exercises and overall having a healthy lifestyle and keeping away from depression.

    My Journey:

    Weighing in at a staggering VERY unhealthy weight of 49kg (108 lbs). To put this into perspective, my BMI calculation was at the very end of the red zone, suggesting I was very underweight and baring in mind I don't have any eating disorders. The healthy weight for someone of my height started from 56.7kg (125 lbs).

    I walked into the gym having absolutely zero exercise, nutrition or gym knowledge. I didn't have any friends who went to the gym, I didn't have any family who I knew went to the gym so all I had was myself and the internet. A personal trainer was out of the question to get me started because I couldn't afford it. I remember it was also a very intimidating experience for me as there was a lot of fairly muscular people working out, and it always felt like everyone was watching me, the usual gym beginners problems - of course no one was watching me, they were in the gym for the same reason as myself.

    After my first ever workout, I had DOMs for at least 5 days afterwards and that put me off going back. Another thing that put me off was the amount of eating I was doing (the only knowledge I had was to eat as much as possible), I went from eating a packet of Doritos for my 8pm tea to eating about 2500 calories. The diet seemed much harder than going the actual gym itself because I wasn't use to eating so much food. I would probably eat 2500 calories spread out across 2-3 days before I went to the gym.

    Fast forward to attending the gym for a whole month, and I started to see that the scales where going up, so whatever I was doing was working. This was when I was becoming serious about the gym and from that month onwards, I always set myself targets to reach for all my exercises.

    Fast forward 2-3 months into my journey and it was a weird feeling, I started to become more comfortable in my own skin. I started to not care what people thought about me out in public or inside the gym. One major problem for me was my ego, I wanted to make it seem like I was lifting heavy weight for people to see rather than for my own personal benefit, which sacrificed my form on a lot of my exercises, but I eventually overcome this problem after 6 months of my journey.

    My breakfast included the likes of sausages, egg, bacon, tomatoes and beans (I can't remember the exact macros as I never use to track my food). For my lunch, I would eat a massive bowl(I mean massive, to the point I kept gagging because I was so full) of egg fried rice. For my tea (dinner, whatever you refer to it as) I would eat cooked chicken thighs and I ate a lot of them, approx 800-1000 calories worth. For snacks throughout the day, I would prepare sandwiches with ham and turkey slices to eat. I also bought USN Anabolic Mass weight gainer about 3-4 months in and had 1 shake per day. I was eating approx. 2500 calores. I use to prepare my food the day before so I was able to eat them in work and then go to the gym in the evening.

    6 months in, I started learning so much more about the gym, exercises and nutrition from all the time I put into researching. I changed my breakfast from a full English to Lasagne (I'm not kidding about this, I ate Lasagne for breakfast for at least another 7 months). Although Lasagne isn't that healthy, I found it was much better than eating sausage and bacon every day. About 1 month into eating Lasagne, I changed the beef mince to 2% fat turkey mince because that was healthier, so the only unhealthy thing about it at this point was the industrialised cream sauce and fatty cheese. For my snack, I use to eat a little salad box including Kiwifruit. Lunch, I had 200g (dry) pasta with Dolmio sauce. For another snack, I had 2 x pizza subs (not the healthiest). For my tea I had chicken thighs still.

    Breakfast: 816.15 cal

    Lunch: 1149 cal

    Dinner: 855 cal

    Shake: 564 cal

    Total Calories: 3384.15

    Protein: 267g

    The exercise I have struggled most with has definitely been bench press. My ectomorph bodytype and long arms don't help in this exercise so it has definitely been a struggled to get it where it is today. I'm really striving for that 2 plate bench press though by the end of this year, at least.

    Unfortunately I injured my right bicep after a few months of training and that meant I couldn't do arm workouts for approx. 6 months. I used the easy curl bar and sat down on the bench/stool provided. I must of been squeezing my hands too hard for my grip, whilst trying to straighten my arm out as much as possible with a heavy weight. I must of trapped something or tear something, but it took months to heal. I only just started training my arms towards the beginning of this year so I feel as if they're very underdeveloped at the moment. I also injuried my right knee area from doing deadlifts a few months in, I've put that down to the fact I wasn't very good with squats so my knee joint was very weak. It seemed to subside after a few weeks, but it's still comes back occasionally so I'm just careful with my weight.

    I changed my diet up coming up to my 1 year gym anniversary. I cut out my pizza subs and chicken thighs and replaced them with Quorn products. They're meat-free processed foods, but I thought they were a little healthier at least.

    After my first year, I completely changed my diet and now my diet is super healthy and contains as much unprocessed food as possible and easy digesting food.

    New 2020 Diet:

    Breakfast - Oat Protein Pancakes = 675.90 calories

    Lunch - Roast vegetables with rice inc olive oil = 812.14 calories

    Pre-workout Meal - Healthy Protein Smootie and a bowl of rice = 446.28 calories

    Dinner - Turkey Mince 2% fat with a gravy type liquid = 410.60 calories

    Macros per day:

    Calories: 2344.92

    Protein: 171.40g

    Fat: 67.6g

    Carbs: 202.65g

    Sugar: 63.4g - mainly comes from the vegetables and fruit

    Water: 3.5 Litre

    Sleep: 8-9 hours

    Food Cost £50-70 per week

    Routine:

    Currently doing a 4-5 day workout week, although I know I need a new routine. Lockdown has currently stopped that!

    Monday:

    Bench Press - 5 sets of 10 reps

    Incline Bench Press - 5 sets of 10 reps

    Barbell Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 8-10 reps

    Side Lateral Raise - 4 sets of 10 reps

    Delt Raise - 4 sets of 10 reps

    Tricep Pushdown - 4 sets of 10 reps

    Tricep Overhead - 4 sets of 10 reps

    Tuesday:

    Deadlift - 5 sets of 6-8 reps

    Pull Ups - 7 sets of 10 reps (weighted pull ups, overload with weight and finish remaining reps without weight)

    Trap Raises - 7 sets of 10 reps

    Standing Bicep Curl - 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps

    Incline Bicep Curl - 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps

    Wednesday:

    Squat - 5 sets of 10 reps

    Leg Press - 3 sets of 10-12 reps

    Calf Raise - 5-7 sets of 10 reps

    Leg Curl - 3 sets of 10 reps

    Ab Pull Ups - 3 sets of 15 reps

    Ab Bench Sit Up - 3 sets of 15 reps

    Thursday:

    Bench Press - 3 sets of 10 reps

    Incline Bench Press 5 sets of 10 reps

    Barbell Shoulder Press - 5 sets of 10 reps

    The rest as Monday

    Friday:

    Deadlift - 5 sets of 6-8 reps

    Barbell Bent Over Rows - 5 sets of 10 reps

    Standing Bicep Curl - 5 sets of 10-12 reps

    Incline Bicep Curl - 5 sets of 10-12 reps

    Bench Dumbbell Preacher Curl 5 sets of 10 reps

    Lift Progress:

    Starting Point:

    Bench Press - 20kg (44 lbs)

    Squat - 25kg (55 lbs)

    Deadlift - 35kg (77 lbs)

    Overhead Press - Unknown as I don't ever remember doing it....

    1 Rep Max Progress (No Belt):

    Bench Press - 1x85kg (187.4 lbs)

    Squat - 2x120kg (264.5 lbs)

    Deadlift - 1x155kg (341.7 lbs)

    Overhead Press - 1x50kg (110.2 lbs)

    Progress Picture:

    https://imgur.com/mYcPw9a

    Results as of now:

    I'm very happy with my progress and I'm happy I've achieved everything I have in just 1 year 6 months. I've gone from feeling/looking loose inside my x-small t-shirts to filling them out and now they actually look good on me for once. However, I now need medium t-shirts depending on the shop they're purchased from. Having this healthy lifestyle has definitely provided me with a better mindset. This is just the beginning for me and I probably won't stop working out until I drop dead!

    Thanks for reading - hit me up if you need help.

    EDIT: If you want me to provide a more in depth workout and meal plan, please let me know!

    TLDR: Suffered from depression throughout all my childhood, being a teenager and into my 20s. Decided to do something about it and change myself. Starting weight of 49kg (108 lbs) of January 2019 to 79.5kg (175lbs) as of now. Wanted to post my journey to inspire others who have been in a similar situation, the same situation or whatever situation they're in that if the effort gets put into something, it can be achieved.

    Comparison: https://imgur.com/mYcPw9a

    submitted by /u/adamfit
    [link] [comments]

    Physique Phriday

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Physique Phriday thread

    What's the point of having people guess your body fat? Nevermind that it's the most inaccurate method available, (read: most likely way wrong - see here) you're still just putting an arbitrary number to the body you have. Despite people's claim that they are shooting for a number, they're really shooting for look - like a six pack.

    So let's stopping mucking around with trivialities and get to the heart of the matter. This thread shall serve two purposes:

    1. Physique critiques. Post some pics and ask about muscles or body parts you need to work on. Or specifically ask about a lagging body part and what exercises worked for others.
    2. An outlet for people that want to show off their efforts that would otherwise be removed due to Rule 4, and

    Let's keep things civil, don't be a creep, and adhere to Rule 1. This isn't a thread to announce what you find attractive in a mate. Please use the report function for any comments that are out of line.

    So phittit, what's your physique pheel like this phriday?

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Can a muscular chest be flabby and look a bit like fat?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 07:39 AM PDT

    So I've been working out my chest hard the past few months, and to start with I had no chest, but now I have a chest however sometimes it looks muscular sometimes it looks fat. For example if I tense it looks like a normal muscular chest, however if I'm laying down it just looks like many boobs. Idk why my chest would have gotten fat if I've been doing weighted pushups, landmine press etc...

    submitted by /u/jonathon-parker
    [link] [comments]

    Working out once a week

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 12:37 AM PDT

    For the most part I currently only have time to a nice gym workout once a week. I can do minimal stuff throughout the week. I'm just beginning, will that lead to muscle growth/aesthetic changes? My understanding is you can notice some changes in 6-8 weeks but I don't know how many times a week that "rule" applies to

    submitted by /u/HudsonOilCompany
    [link] [comments]

    Nucleus overload testimonials?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 01:50 AM PDT

    Did anyone try nuclei overload and did it work for you? I did the 100 pushups for over 30 days challenge and my chest got from below average to above average, taking my peers into consideration. Experiences?

    submitted by /u/MattPruga
    [link] [comments]

    Can I build chest with only dumbbells and no bench?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:07 PM PDT

    I recently got a pair of adjustable dumbbells, since I won't be able to go to the gym in a while. I don't have a bench at home so I've been doing chest presses and flies on the floor. Will this be effective in building a bigger chest, or should I invest in a bench?

    submitted by /u/kamalasacop2
    [link] [comments]

    Adding power cleans to your program, is there a benefit if you don't primarily olympic lift or do explosive sports?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 12:52 AM PDT

    I've been thinking about adding power cleans back into my programming.

    I do know how to power clean, but will get a refresher at my old weightlifting gym prior to starting, as it has been a few months since i've cleaned anything.

    With safety out of the way, is there any benefit to adding power cleans to your program if you don't primarily olympic lift and don't do any sports (I only really lift weights and some biking.)? Is there any point in developing your power output in daily life?

    Secondly, are there any draw backs? If I just added them as an extra day, the first day of my training week would I notice any problems? I'm on GZCLP right now, so I would just do power cleans on day 1, T1 bench day 2, squat day 3, rest, deadlift day 5, OHP day 6, rest and repeat, for example.

    edit: actually would power cleaning help increase my average cycling speed?

    submitted by /u/15311651465418318929
    [link] [comments]

    Rack weight capacity vs dynamic weight capacity

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 02:21 AM PDT

    I'm trying to latch on some safety straps to my half rack, I'm wondering how much force they would be able to withstand. My rack has an alleged 800 lbs capacity, now if I drop 300 lbs onto the straps (10k lb strength cap) I'm thinking it'll withstand the force. But based on elementary physics alone it seems like it wouldn't (~1300N, potentially 650N with two strap weight distribution). I'm not too sure so I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this before I make a purchasing decision.

    How do they even calculate the weight capacity of a rack anyway? I'm thinking it's just static force but I'm not sure how that translates with dynamic

    submitted by /u/nejikon
    [link] [comments]

    So I know to hit the bigger muscle first, but..

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 11:01 PM PDT

    So I understand that you need to hit the bigger muscle before the smaller one, an example being to hit chest before triceps; would hitting chest before triceps decrease the size of your triceps?

    What if you are working out 3 muscle groups on the same day? Would the last muscle group you hit end up lacking?

    I know this sounds stupid but I remember seeing it somewhere and I just want to make sure.

    submitted by /u/Ayreus
    [link] [comments]

    Exercise lingo and scheduling question

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:22 PM PDT

    Ok, really dumb question coming up.

    Background: starting weight was 350, inching closer to 300 now after a few months of CICO, C25K and regular walks.

    Finally starting to feel like my body can tolerate low impact workouts but I'm so confused about exercise in general when it comes to setting up a schedule for myself.

    Couch to 5k has 2 rest days, everything I read about workouts says to have a rest day in between sessions but then I also read that 30 mins of daily exercise is recommended. Can anyone explain what counts as exercise and what a real rest day means? Is there actually ever a day where you shouldn't be doing some form of physical activity (like walking) to give your body some rest, or when rest says are recommended is that only specific to things like HIIT? If I walk daily is that ok? Does that not count as exercise if it's not like cardio or strength training?

    Just trying to figure out how to schedule exercises in a way that lets my very obese body recover from all the movement I'm making it do while also not hindering progress.

    Thanks for not making me feel stupid in advance.

    submitted by /u/darrby8215
    [link] [comments]

    Light vs Heavy days on PPL split

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:11 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, Was wondering if it's a good idea to have a "light" and a "heavy" day in a PPL rotation. For example my split is P/P/L/P/P/L/rest so for first push day I'll go heavy chest and light shoulder, with heavy shoulder and light chest on the second push day of the week. Would this be effective or should I just keep constant throughout the week?

    Thanks for any advice!

    submitted by /u/kcfaction
    [link] [comments]

    How much could I benefit from knee wraps?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:12 PM PDT

    I squat 275 raw, weight ~230 (I know, it's sad). I'm thinking about doing some classic raw, and I was wondering how much weight it would add to my squat? I do low bar, narrow medium (About hip width). I think I could squat 285 raw. Also, what are your recommended wraps for adding the most weight?

    submitted by /u/Untaken____Username
    [link] [comments]

    Will my muscle mass reduce if I have 5 days of swimming instead of weight training?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:10 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, I require your knowledge!

    I have to be away from the gym for 5 days for professional reasons, but the hotel has a swimming pool, so my question is simple.

    Will I loose muscle mass and/or strength if I only swim for 5 days?

    Given my current split is a PPL on 6 days.

    Thanks in advance 🙏

    submitted by /u/BlyatOps3
    [link] [comments]

    Are Squats Only for Legs Ok?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 03:19 PM PDT

    I absolutely hate working out legs so want to keep my leg workouts to a minimum. My legs are a decent size naturally and I don't particularly want biglegs, so I'm ok with only doing one exercise for them.

    But my question is, will doing squats only create an imbalance between hamstrings and quads? Or does the exercise target both muscle groups pretty equally?

    Also, if I'm not particularly stiff or have any mobility issues, is there any real benefit to stretching? I remember reading a while ago that stretching alone helped boost leg strength, but not sure what the current research says.

    submitted by /u/mikesalami
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment