• Breaking News

    Sunday, July 26, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 26, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 26, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - July 26, 2020

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Gaining too much fat on a bulk

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 02:30 PM PDT

    3 weeks ago i started a bulk up muscle plan. 5'11 157lbs and im guessing about 15% bodyfat?

    I didnt wanna cut as im skinny so decided try gain mass on 3000cals per day but as im bad with eating some days prob only eat 2000-2500 as always miss meals on workout days i try eat more maybe 3500 at most!! but ideally 3000.

    Apart from my 3 weight training days, body part splits ive done very little anything due to lockdown.

    I now weight 167lbs so thats 10lbs in 3 weeks haha but first 5lbs prob water and glycogen weight anyway. 5lbs in 3 weeks i guess still a lot?

    My strength gains have been VERY good. eg week 1 60kg deadlifts 10 reps, today 70kg deadlifts 8 reps (weak right but had to start somewhere)

    Ive decided to cut my diet to 2500 calories which seems low but im about 30 now so guess not got that teenage metabolsim and in lockdown not very active.

    BUt though i gained strenght i just not sure i gaining much muscle? I guess hard to see in 3 weeks if truely gained muscle? Maybe in 2 months you can tell better?

    but anyway as said prob only eating 2000-2500 calories but geting a fat belly just seems odd?

    submitted by /u/redorblewit
    [link] [comments]

    How can I strengthen my lower back without deadlifts or anything similar?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 12:08 AM PDT

    I am a 26 year old male. For the last 5 years I've been trying to build muscle and strength through weight lifting. Every time I would try a new routine, it would inevitably incorporate deadlifts for strengthening the lower back. Every single time, I would end up injuring my lower back. Whether it be a matter of weeks or months, I always end up injuring it to the point where I have to take a prolonged break. This injury always comes from deadlifts.

    This most recent time happened a couple weeks ago. It had been about 2 years since I had done any strength training, and I decided I wanted to start up again. Due to all the gyms closing in my area, I've had to do all my exercises with dumbbells and body weight exercises. I decided this time to strengthen my core first before starting deadlifts. So I did about a month of nothing but core exercises and then progressed to dumbbell deadlifts along with other weight exercises. I made sure to perfect my form with just the dumbbell bars before progressing to actual weights. I loaded it with far less weight than I knew I was capable of, and for a while it was fine. However, after about a month of deadlifting, along with various other exercises, I hurt my lower back again and have been unable to lift for about 2 weeks since.

    My back is getting better but I am trying to figure out an alternative. I want to be able to strengthen my lower back, as it is clearly weak, but it seems like deadlifts are just not for me. Are there other ways to properly strengthen it that doesn't involve weights? There was a time that involved doing hyperextensions for my lower back, and that seemed to build some serious lower back strength without injuring myself, but due to the quarantine, I don't have access to a hyperextension bench. I looked online and saw some websites recomending exercises like glute bridges and knee to chest stretches, but can this really strengthen my lower back at a level even close to deadlifts? Seems more like it just stretches it.

    submitted by /u/ChronoPsyche
    [link] [comments]

    Victory Sunday

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Victory Sunday Thread

    It is Sunday, 6:00 am here in the eastern half of Hyder, Alaska. It's time to ask yourself: What was the one, best thing you did on behalf of your fitness this week? What was your Fitness Victory?

    We want to hear about it!

    So let's hear your fitness Victory this week! Don't forget to upvote your favorite Victories!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Gym for 3 weeks or stick to routine

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 02:51 AM PDT

    I'm planning on starting a slow bulk, or a bit of a maingain, and gyms open in my country next week. The only problem is, I leave the country in 4 weeks.

    I have been doing a body weight routine for the last three months, but I was hoping to use the gym to start lifting heavy and get some good strength gains.

    My question is, is it worth it to switch to a gym routine for 3 weeks when I may not have access to a gym for another 6 weeks afterwards, or should I just continue with my bodyweight routine trusting that I will progress during that time?

    submitted by /u/bennyxvi
    [link] [comments]

    Spontaneous burning sensation above pubic bone when deadlifting

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 02:46 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I was hoping someone could relate or help me out with a small concern I've had when deadlifting.

    I'm (26M, 5'11'', 170 lbs) relatively new to resistance training but have been playing sports all my life (soccer, football, 5-a-side soccer). I've been fortunate enough to remain pretty much injury free all my life (save the removal of a bone cyst in my femur when I was in high school which hasn't had any after affects to my knowledge).

    My last two deadlifting sessions (today and three days ago) have involved a strange, sudden, and short lasting burning sensation right above the pubic bone on my right side, on the first rep of the first set. On both occasions I've cautiously finished off the sets with no reoccurrences of that sensation.

    The first time I just played it off as a one off but after it happened today I thought to take the time to do a bit of research. Now, the first thing I was made aware of was that it could be an inguinal hernia. The only thing is though is that there is no lump/bulge or pouch that is characteristic of hernias of that kind present. Not even a slight bump that could only be seen upon close inspection.

    Thus far, I've had no similar experiences while doing back squats.

    I did notice after showering today that if I poke at the pubic bone itself it does feel slightly sore and tender but there isn't any burning feeling to speak of.

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/Zae17
    [link] [comments]

    I feel too fatigued to workout

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    Hello, 2 year long bodybuilder here, 18 years old.

    So I am having trouble with working out lately because I am way too fatigued. I do every daily task fairly fine but I am always mildly tired, and when I lift I sometimes have to force myself not to take long resting breaks between sets.

    I am currently trying to quit a junk food (chips/crisps) addiction and have been 2 weeks without it until today. I've tried stopping several times before and have succeeded for months at times but I always relapse. When I don't eat junk food I feel fatigued and eat bunches of fruit throughout the day and drink a lot of fruit juice to keep my energy up to manage working out. However, if I eat junk food I get mild migraines (most likely because of the salt) and that also prevents me from working out. Chips/crisps addiction is honestly a nightmare because it's so hard to quit when I used to eat several bags a week.

    Other than the chips/crisps I am addicted to I eat healthy. On days I don't eat junk food I eat a lot because I get very hungry, but the only physical exercise I do those days is lift for 45 minutes, so I don't undestand why I need so much energy.

    I don't know if it has much to do with it but I am also agoraphobic, but even during days I am not struggling with that I feel tired.

    I am just worrying about all the days I take off where I don't do anything. That plus the fact that I eat a lot of chips when I relapse adds a bit of fat. So any advice?

    submitted by /u/Maolseggen
    [link] [comments]

    Weightlifters who have/had children

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 01:32 AM PDT

    So in 3 months I become a father for the first time, I have been lifting on and off for the past 9 years and consistently for the past 2 years running upper lower or PPL routines.

    For those that have or have had kids, did your routine change? I could be wrong but I don't feel like I will be able to run PPL or maybe U/L as I won't have the time and/or energy. I work out at home with no machines all I have is power rack and weights

    submitted by /u/valvenisv2
    [link] [comments]

    Workout Questions!

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    Hey all.

    So I'm making a workout plan for when my home gym is made which would usually be straight forward for boxing training which I planned to start with stretching, then jump rope then shadow boxing then heavy bag work then a run. so 1. is that the order I should be doing it and 2. I'm also going to be doing a regular workout routine like ppl maybe, not sure, so should I do it all at once like the boixng workout then the normal workout, workout normally in the morning then the boxing workout at night or something? Also will the boxing contradict the lifting since it's a lot of cardio?

    submitted by /u/Shadey7
    [link] [comments]

    Workout / Fitness planner

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 01:50 AM PDT

    Does anyone know any good website or app where you can make your own workout / fitness plan? all are welcome free and paid websites/app

    submitted by /u/bollie1990
    [link] [comments]

    Abnormal weight gain during bulk

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 01:45 AM PDT

    I'm a 15M at 5'8 (173cm) and 133lb (60kg) at a guessed 16%bf

    I started a bulk at the beginning of July with my estimated TDEE being around 2.270kcal, I've been eating on a 400kcal surplus.

    The thing is I did not have a scale to measure week 2's weight gain which was a mistake on my part.

    From week 1-3 I gained 0.5kg (1lbs) but from week 3-4 I gained 1kg (2lbs) which was weird but maybe it is just water and glycogen?

    So now from week 4-5 I gained 0.5kg (1lbs) which is what I got on for first two weeks.

    I'm quite confused any help would be appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/FanisGR
    [link] [comments]

    Question about thigh exercise.

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 12:00 AM PDT

    I do a lot of bike riding, medium to high intensity and usually 5-6 days per week.

    Yesterday morning I decided to go for a run. Nothing big as I haven't been for a run in over a year, 4.2 km. With lots of stretches afterwards.

    Today my thighs at the front of my legs are absolutely killing me. I assumed these muscles would more conditioned since I bike a lot and it works this muscle group.

    Can anyone elaborate on why this is?

    submitted by /u/omelette_wrap
    [link] [comments]

    Lost the tip of my ring finger, need some advice?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 11:59 PM PDT

    I lost the tip of my ring finger on my left hand about 2 months ago and am in the middle of my first non-leg workout since it happened. My grip strength is so bad on my left hand such that it's hard to even do lat pull downs and curls. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do?

    submitted by /u/YungVenta
    [link] [comments]

    1/4 Mile Times, By Age

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 10:17 PM PDT

    I am unable to find data on 1/4 mi times by age. I am not sure any are available. Does anyone know anything on the subject? 34 y/o male, just began 1/4 work, consistently between 60 and 65 seconds. That's well faster than average, but I'd like to get an idea of what's a very high-achieving time for early to mid 30's.

    submitted by /u/tractatus25
    [link] [comments]

    I need to get cut a tidy bit quicker...

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 09:52 PM PDT

    I am 5'11 and about 165 lbs

    I started working out a month ago but got really into it about 2 weeks ago. I work out 5 days a week, and my meals consist of less than 2,000 calories roughly, mostly rice, soup, chicken, and tea.

    I also use a schedule for my workout and it's as it goes...

    Mon - Back and Biceps Tue - Chest and Triceps Wed - Legs and Shoulders Thur - Any workout from the first 3 days but usually rotate weekly Fri - Full Body Workout Sat & Sun - Rest

    I also take protein, the kind I take is a athletic body and strength kind, I think it's a 100% Whey Protein. Not really sure if it's what I need to take, but I take it anyways.

    I also have a good amount of muscle that I am happy with but if it got bigger by a bit I wouldn't mind. I got most belly fat, as well as leg fat that are covering up all the muscles underneath (duh)

    I guess what I need to know is how I can look lean in a matter of a month or 2. Perhaps I need a protein suggestion? New workout routine? Maybe a diet plan?

    submitted by /u/MrStealKiller
    [link] [comments]

    Neck, Core, Forearms, Calves

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 03:29 PM PDT

    Can these be worked everyday/ do y'all work these everyday? I barely see answers to this question, and when I do, they're conflicted with each other.

    submitted by /u/manmanmanman55
    [link] [comments]

    Should I start walking every day?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 04:14 PM PDT

    So I've been trying to search reddit for someone whose had a similar issue as me. I've been trying to cut some fat off and just got back to lifting. I went from 83kg to 81kg (5ft 9) after minor cut backs without working out due to quarantine. I began working out again about 3 weeks ago and sticking to 1800 calories (within about 100 either side) roughly 160-170g protein, 160g carbs and 60g fat. Mostly eating porridge, whey, pasta, sweet potatoes, meat and fish. Even with sticking to this I noticed my weight not dropping over the last 3 weeks. I know I may be gaining some lost muscle due to not working out properly over the last 4 months but for the scale to stay exactly the same over the 3 weeks seems improbable. I wanted to know if someone could give me any suggestions as I've not done a cut since I started working out around 2 and a half years ago and I feel like I must be doing something wrong. Should I start walking each day? Thanks in advance.

    Edit: forgot to include I workout 6 days a week

    submitted by /u/BRCAMARONXX
    [link] [comments]

    what happens if i dont burn as much calories im putting in (serious mass protein)

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 03:42 PM PDT

    ive been lifting for a month now, doing comstant cardio and going into a anaerobic state almost every day for 5 mins, and decided to start using serious mass to increase muscle recovery and gains ofc, i dont keep track of calories i burn on the treadmill, but i sure sweat till my shirts soaked. Just worried what if i dont burn the amount i need and somehow let the calories build up in me. Ive always been sort of clean bulking, eating the right sources for protein and getting good fats and carbohydrates, but occasionally take a snack or not so bad meal (white rice sugary marinated meats juices with added sugar) can someone tell me what exercises will prevent me from ruining my bulk on serious mass?

    submitted by /u/dxmken
    [link] [comments]

    Back Lateral Raise vs. Back Extension?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 03:53 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm doing a routine, and I can just put one more exercise for back, which one should I do?

    PD: I have two weights of 6kg to do the back lateral raise, I don't know if is enough but I did not exercise for a long time, so I don't think it matters for now.

    submitted by /u/Siberian_Keeper
    [link] [comments]

    Worried that I might quit?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 03:13 PM PDT

    I've taken 2 days off because I was sore, and I planned on getting back on track today but I'm stuck at home and the heat is absolutely miserable today. We don't have AC or anything so it's super warm and humid. It's okay to take a 3rd day or is that to much?

    submitted by /u/DevyCanadian
    [link] [comments]

    Can your body absorb more protein if you've trained your whole body?

    Posted: 25 Jul 2020 02:57 PM PDT

    Many studies say that your body cannot absorb more than 40g protein in one meal. But what if you trained your whole body that day? Wouldn't it be pretty logic that the body would absorb more protein per meal if you've trained the whole body?

    submitted by /u/TarmsprackarElof
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment