• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 4, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: r/Fitness Stands Against Racism et al

    Beginner Fitness: r/Fitness Stands Against Racism et al


    r/Fitness Stands Against Racism et al

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:02 AM PDT

    On the mod team, we had a long discussion about whether or not to make a post like this. r/Fitness is something we traditionally maintain as a "politics free" zone, partially because it tends to inspire a lot of vitriol, and partially because it tends to dominate everything and we want to be at least one small oasis where people can take a breather. As we all talked about it, u/vikingmechanic said something I feel is very poignant:

    As one of the largest fitness forums on the internet, I think seeing the strength training and strength sports community rally behind their plight can feel very comforting and supporting for a lot of people - in the same way I imagine us taking zero tolerance policies on sexists is offering comfort and safety for women gym goers.

    Current events and protests are centered on racism, but bigotry takes many different forms and on r/Fitness we extend zero welcome and zero tolerance to all of them. It is our standing opinion that hateful bigots have no place in either the world of fitness or the world in general. We encourage everyone within the sound of our voice to do what they can to support peaceful efforts to change the world for the better. Some can do less than others, and that's okay. It admittedly may not be very much to just make a post about it, but this post is backed by our on-going commitment to keeping bigotry out of this community, and ultimately we feel something small is better than silence, and if we can inspire anyone to take a more solid action, then it hasn't been nothing.

    It feels a bit cliche to use this quote, but:

    We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere.

    Today we feel it is important to make it known that here, at least, we have taken a side.

    submitted by /u/purplespengler
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 04, 2020

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How to get into working out?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 12:02 AM PDT

    I'm having trouble sticking to my workout routine. I bought an exercise bike and have been trying to use it for an hour a day but I can't stick to a plan on using it because I just get so bored during that hour and it feels like it drags on forever + lack of seeing improvement. I know building muscle/losing weight comes down to consistency and diet but I just can't be consistent with my exercise, most days I just dread having to get on that exercise bike

    submitted by /u/Swogic
    [link] [comments]

    How does it feel to be fit/ripped?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 02:01 AM PDT

    I know confidence improves and all but I've always looked at lean guys and wondered how it felt being them, physically, I imagine they have a body high all day and are probably full of energy.

    I've been putting on some slight muscle on my skinny ass twig arms recently and I can't stop touching my biceps lol.

    submitted by /u/WillpowerExertion
    [link] [comments]

    Advice to morbidly obese 28/F wanting to get fit?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 10:30 PM PDT

    I am 156cm and weigh 122kg, BMI 50.1. I have never been exceptionally fit however due to intense mental health issues and wanting to die for years and years, I just let myself get to a point where I'm in absolutely terrible shape. I mean like walking around a small block puts me in a foul mood because I get stressed being out of breath and my depression spikes because of self loathing. I'm basically a shut in, unemployed etc but trying to change my circumstances.

    My goals are to be a healthy BMI, and be fit enough to just do normal life things like walk around, go on walks and not die, and improve my flexibility and lower back strength.

    Food-wise I have diagnosed EDNOS, so I will either starve myself for days or binge eat. I have a psychiatrist who can help with the emotional side of my eating disorder and other mental health issues (sob story but it's been a long journey in and out of hospital for most of my twenties, extensive self harm to the point of requiring multiple surgeries and waking up on life support after a suicide attempt, so I've had a really goddamn rough time).

    I'm also long term unemployed and in poverty so paying for a gym membership/personal trainer isn't necessarily an option. I'm scared of gyms because I get really embarrassed about how out of breath I get when I'm with friends walking somewhere.

    So yeah. Idk if this an ok post to make here, I guess I'm just throwing this out there with hopefully enough info and if anyone could tell me where to start I would truly appreciate it.

    Thank you 💗

    submitted by /u/dink_munson
    [link] [comments]

    Why does arm seems to be bigger than the other

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 02:32 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I've recently started working out -- and I've noticed some good improvements in just the last few days, especially since I'm a skinny guy and seeing my arms look "normal" makes me feel pretty good. Unfortunately, my left arm (non-dominant) seems bigger than my right arm (dominant). When I asked my parents if they notice the difference, both my mom and dad said they couldn't notice it but whenever I look in the mirror I see them different and it bugs me. I've tried working out the right arm a little more but I see no improvement.

    I've asked my dad who has been lifting weights for a while if he had this same problem, and he said yes. He also said that after a while, both arms will look the same. I'm not sure if I'm just going crazy or what, but does anyone know if this is normal or bad?

    Thank you for the help!

    submitted by /u/nullsci
    [link] [comments]

    daily workout routine without equipment

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:08 PM PDT

    hey guys im new to this topic, but does anyone here have a 1 month exercise plan that doesnt require equipment ( just push up , sit up , etc) , my aim is to have average muscular body and arm ( not too big) . i am planning to do this routine until december and see the result. sorry for bad english :)

    submitted by /u/rebelprogrammer11
    [link] [comments]

    Monthly Apps, Gadgets and Gear Megathread!

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Monthly Apps, Gadgets and Gear Megathread!

    This thread is for sharing fitness related apps, technological gadgets, and training gear that you've found helpful for your fitness goals.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Why does my body look like this?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 01:26 AM PDT

    This is a somewhat accurate representation of how my body looks from the side. It has always looked like this. It's not APT, it's just fat, I can hold it in my hands. You can't hold poor posture in your hands. I never get to tuck in my shirts. Is it possible to reduce the size of my ass? I'm 18M.

    submitted by /u/candlescarcelyout
    [link] [comments]

    Not moving much outside of my workouts.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 10:28 PM PDT

    I work out 5-6 days a week lifting weights and doing a bit of cardio as well. Other than that I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle. How much movement do you guys do outside of workout time? Just curious.

    submitted by /u/Wolftron
    [link] [comments]

    The best time for cardio when weight lifting?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 04:12 AM PDT

    I've determined that doing cardio right before weight training isn't the optimal time to do it. Doing it after seems better, but I'm fairly exhausted after weight training for 60 - 90 minutes. Would it be best to do cardio at a different time of the day? I usually weight train around 9am and was thinking about doing cardio around 2pm. Or is it better to do it in the same session as my weight training?

    submitted by /u/nemo002
    [link] [comments]

    Sport and Exercise scientists - what is the current scientific consensus on the efficacy of pre- and post-exercise static and dynamic stretching in relation to injury prevention and performance improvement?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 04:00 AM PDT

    My understanding is that stretching regimes conducted for the specific purpose of improving flexibility and mobility are worthwhile and recommended for general joint and muscle health.

    What is less clear is the necessity of stretches before and after exercise for injury and performance-related reasons.

    I've not done a huge amount of research, but the following studies (which are pretty old now) show little evidence for its benefit. Although I think they primarily discuss pre-exercise stretching.

    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15438620802310784

    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1356689X03000109

    https://journals.lww.com/cjsportsmed/Abstract/2006/05000/Pre_exercise_Stretching_and_Sports_Related.7.aspx

    What does the science say today?

    submitted by /u/toolemeister
    [link] [comments]

    Are my legs supposed to hurt like this?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:43 PM PDT

    I swear my legs give out whenever I try a butt exercise like a glute bridge. And i don't mean laziness, it's like the joints in my knees are on fire. Almost as if i have arthritis but it only starts when I do that one exercise. Is something wrong with me? Can I stop it? It literally feels like if I twist my legs a certain way, I might break a bone or something will disconnect.

    submitted by /u/Sims1o7
    [link] [comments]

    How do you know when pain is "normal?"

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 03:37 AM PDT

    So I [f26] have been working out consistently for about 3 years. Last October, I broke my ankle (talus) while sparring muay thai. I did a really shitty job with recovery. Like, working out in the boot basically the next day. Yeah, stupid. I know.

    Anyway, its basically just now getting back to not really hurting so much. I've noticed if I walk more than 10k steps in a day, i have discomfort the next day. Same goes for lifting heavy on legs. Legs are my favorite! So this has been super hard.

    Just the last month or two I started running again about every 10 days.

    So, when is it simple discomfort, i.e. pain i will have for the rest of my life? I always try to take it easyish if I have discomfort. But, if this is just pain I'm always going to have now, then maybe I won't worry about it as much...? For example, my dad is old now and has all these pains, so he just tells me to deal with it haha. Not sure if its the right answer though. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/curiousquestioner16
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on lean bulking after losing 20kg in 4 months and getting to 10%bf, (dont want to gain any fat)

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 03:30 AM PDT

    Hi, so i've been cutting for the past 3 months and lost 20kg on a 1300 diet, surprisingly i didint lose a lot of muscle, i maintained a 150g protein, 50g carb and 20 hour fast everyday and can still do it everyday no problem but now that i have settled on my body fat percentage and am happy about 12%, i want to go on a lean bulk, should i start consuming 1600 calories or less? (I REALLY DONT WANT TO GAIN ANY FAT)

    submitted by /u/OPG609
    [link] [comments]

    How should I get rid of water?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 02:21 AM PDT

    I've been on a cut for a month now and I've lost a bit of weight, but there is alot of water near my core and my love handles region? What are the tips to get rid of it and looks shredded? Less salt? Drink more or less water? More cardio? Any tips that would be helpful to get rid of that excess water hold.

    submitted by /u/Bitgammer
    [link] [comments]

    The outer part of both shoulders(near armpit to the right) is extremely sore along with my triceps. It also hurts in my elbow when I flex and my arms get extremely exhausted whenever I use them. What on earth did I do to myself?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 02:07 AM PDT

    I don't think I have an injury at this moment but I'm pretty scared at the moment considering I stretched before every workout

    submitted by /u/thisisfakedecent
    [link] [comments]

    I dont know what to do Please Help

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 01:22 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    First some Basic info

    im 23, 183cm and 83kg

    I've been trying to change my Body for like 2 years now but i just dont see any changes. I think i fall into the categroy of "skinny fat"?

    When i first started to work out i just did basic workouts without knowing anything i gaind a little bit of chest and some biceps etc. Overall got bigger.. Then Last spring i thought to myself i seem to be fat especially around the belly so i started to go into a calorie deficit of around 700kcal. Doing Low Weight and like high reps. Also i started to do HiiT cardio. I really wanted to lose that belly fat but it just didnt go away. This was form like May to August. I lost alot of muscle etc but the fat just didnt go away.

    Then i tried to cut again in winter of 2019 with a calorie deficit and low reps but high weight. But my diet got very sloppy because of a new job i was working. I seriously dont know what to do. Some people told me i should Bulk and then cut. But wouldnt bulking make me even fatter?

    My goal ist just to be Lean, not like Christian Bale in American Psycho but just not that MUCH belly fat.

    I added some pics that i took today

    https://imgur.com/a/rX3UMx0

    https://imgur.com/a/ncfz5HW

    sorry for my bad english im from europe

    submitted by /u/idkHowToKillMyself
    [link] [comments]

    Should I do the Dumbbell Stopgap if I only have 5lb and 10lb dumbbells?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:21 PM PDT

    I have read the post ans it says that it ends when you can 3x10 exercises become easy to do. With that said, I feel like this program would be extremely short. I have looked at the bodyweight recommended workout, but it requires some things that I do not own.

    Are there any alternatives?

    Note: I do have a multifunctional pull up bar

    submitted by /u/tobythestrangler
    [link] [comments]

    I can't easily air squat without falling backwards. Should I still be doing barbell squats?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 10:43 PM PDT

    Even before quarantine, I really struggled to go below parallel on a low bar squat, despite having trained on it for over a year. Air squatting without falling backwards is incredibly difficult for me. During quarantine I completely neglected squats and just did running and upper body. My mobility has gotten way worse during that time.

    Recently I discovered what is likely the cause of this problem: ankle mobility. If I put a text book underneath my heels, so that my ankles don't have to make such a tight angle, I can squat down very low effortlessly.

    I found a good ankle stretch online that I've been using. Simply stand with my back 1-6 inches from a wall holding weights, then squat down as low as possible and hold it. Heels may come off the ground. I think this is working, but it's not an instantaneous process. I think it will take a long time before I have the ankle mobility to squat comfortably.

    Should I still be including barbell squats in my routine? I worry that I'm likely teaching my self bad form. I need the weight of the bar to "squish" me down to really get into that bottom position, since I'm not really capable of getting into that position even in an air squat.

    submitted by /u/Gidanocitiahisyt
    [link] [comments]

    How would you train if your primary goal was to improve your resiliency to injury?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 10:00 PM PDT

    I've read that Westside Barbell recommends incorporating sets of super high repetitions to increase tendon strength. If the overall goal is to improve resiliency to injury, should people aim to progress in weight after they reach 100 or 200 repetitions?

    I've also read that tendons are trained by partials with super heavy weights. All of the information out there is very confusing.

    submitted by /u/Jack114
    [link] [comments]

    NSD powerball underarm position

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:49 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I have one simple question. What should be the position of the underarm when using this device? In most videos the arm is parallel to the floor (with the hand down, bending the wrist ) . This seems weird to me as the wrist is in an "extreme" position. I personally rest my whole arm and the circles of the ball are parallel to the floor. Feels natural, but... I don't see anybody doing it this way. Is it wrong? Does it help less? Does it work the wrong muscles? Some advice here is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/fladder95
    [link] [comments]

    Mass building plan with rubber bands?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:20 PM PDT

    I currently have THESE ONES. It's what I've got in lockdown. More than 2 months without a gym and these arrive tomorrow. Maybe someone knows a plan or two, thanks!

    submitted by /u/Cristobolon
    [link] [comments]

    skateboarding?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 01:59 PM PDT

    Hey guys, ive been into weight lifting for a while, but something my body and mind never seemed to like doing was cardio. I picked up skateboarding recently just to get outside more, and MAN. learning to ollie, and balancing on one foot in a slight squat while pushing, these are absolute killers. I have more feeling in my posterior from trying to ollie than I ever got from deadlifts. What do you guys think? is there any science to back up the extent at which it builds muscle.

    submitted by /u/monkeyman_31
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment