• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 11, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 11, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 11, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - June 11, 2020

    Posted: 11 Jun 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Should you stretch sore muscles?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2020 10:39 PM PDT

    Exactly the title. I always want to stretch a lot when I'm sore from a workout but I've heard some people say you shouldn't?

    submitted by /u/ragnorak45
    [link] [comments]

    Why is horizontal pulling strength not given as much focus as horizontal pushing strength in many programs?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2020 10:18 PM PDT

    I was reading several beginner programs such as SS, SL, GreySkull, 531, and GZCLP. It looks like most of them, if not all, puts squats, deadlifts, and bench press (horizontal pushing) as the main/T1 lifts while putting rows (horizontal pulling) as seconday/accessory/T2/T3 lifts. 531 even puts OHP (vertical pushing) as a main lift while having no pulling in the main lifts.

    It could be due to the deadlift working the lats/pulling/back but I don't think there is a full range of motion for lats. Moreover, the biceps is only in isometric position. Lats can get some of the low rep range works but the biceps (or horizontal/vertical pulling in general) will never gonna get the low rep range works if no pulling exercise is in the main/T1 lifts.

    If there is bench press which works the front of the upper body, shouldn't there also be row which works the back of the upper body in the same Tier? Why is focus more on pushing than pulling rather than having equal focus? (eg. 531 having both horizontal and vertical pushing in main lifts but no horizontal (maybe deadlift) nor vertical pulling in the main lifts)

    ps. I come from /r/bodyweightfitness and we put equal focus on vertical pushing, vertical pulling, horizontal pushing, and horizontal pulling for the beginner recommended routine. So it's kind of hard to understand why there seems to be inequality.

    submitted by /u/whiteSkar
    [link] [comments]

    How to get over the fear of being out of breath when working out?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2020 08:18 PM PDT

    I know this sounds stupid but I seriously hate getting out of breath when I try exercising, I start to panic. I'm 20F and about 30lbs heavier than I'd like to be. I want to get healthy and strong and lean but whenever I do higher intensity workouts where I get out of breath, I kind of freak out and stop. I know it's irrational and silly to hate getting out of breath like this, and I want to get over it. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/haneliza
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice on caloric deficit.

    Posted: 11 Jun 2020 01:06 AM PDT

    For context im a 24 yr old 210 lb male with very high body fat. My goal is 160 lbs with a "slim but toned" aesthetic. I'm following the healthy plate method 3 times a day with one light snack and drinking only water. I try to put a few days between times i eat fast food or sweets, and im still on it with the portion. But I'm new to all this, just a guy googling stuff. So my question is: what is the lowest amount of calories I can consume without going too low and hurting my progress? I have been trying to cap at 1200, but it feels to low. With the amount of carbs im eating i feel I should have way more energy, but for all i know it could just be my body adjusting to a new lifestyle. Pls help im so lost

    submitted by /u/trashboi96
    [link] [comments]

    Core Workouts

    Posted: 11 Jun 2020 12:29 AM PDT

    Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place for this. I've been actively swimming competitively for years, but because of school situations and quarantine and all, I've been out of the water. That's always been my primary workout, and I've never really done much else. As a result, I have no idea how to formulate a workout plan on land. Of course the normal pushups, etc for upper body and all, but I really don't know what to do about core workouts. I need to work on the motivation which is just a me thing, but whenever I try to do things like side planks, etc, I never really feel it hurting or burning at all. I'll get a little bit and it won't go past that. In particular I really want to work my obliques and core in general, but I'm not sure how to go about it, especially without any equipment in my house.

    submitted by /u/1Darude1
    [link] [comments]

    If I can do 3x12 db curls with 15lbs, then is it a good idea to move to 20lbs if I can only do 3x8?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2020 02:39 AM PDT

    As the title says. I can do 12 reps of 15lbs after 3 sets, so should I move up 5lbs even if I can only do 8 reps each set?

    submitted by /u/echanuda
    [link] [comments]

    Do you recommend working out with just a barbell, squat rack and dumbells?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2020 08:13 PM PDT

    I started going to the gym in November! I was going 4 times a week, no exceptions. My gym closed two months ago bc of the virus.

    I only used machines at the gym, but I'm planning on buying a squat rack, a barbell, a pair of dumbells and some weights so I can work out in my house. Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/mnt9797
    [link] [comments]

    Those without dip belt, what do you use?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2020 10:44 PM PDT

    I tried holding it on my feet just sort of clipping the dumbbell, but its really unnatural, even though I am working on a relatively small weight 10kg. I feel like I am spending more effort in holding the DB then my form on the dips, I guess I can do the same in Pullup.

    submitted by /u/snoopwong
    [link] [comments]

    Best time during the day for certain exercises?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2020 04:30 AM PDT

    With my gym being shut for a few months now and killing a lot of my motivation to work out, I've finally got the buzz to exercise consistently again but with more 'at home' style workouts.

    Gym timing was easy for me, I'd always just go in the afternoon regardless of what I would be focusing on. But id now like to start doing daily cross country runs on top of doing (trying) 50x press ups, sit ups and squats almost every day.

    I currently work 9-5 and eat dinner around 5-6, I'm just unsure how to fit these workouts into my schedule in my day. For instance would it be best to go for a run in the morning and do the resistance stuff after work/before dinner? Or maybe do them back to back in the morning?

    I should note my current main goal is to mainly cut body fat and the secondary being to develop more muscle mass around my shoulders and chest. I am also attempting to IF with my eating window being 12-8pm so my morning exercise would be without calories.

    Any general advice or help on the situation would be really appreciated, I just want to make sure that whatever exercise I am doing is worthwhile and done at the most effective times.

    submitted by /u/Jallsop
    [link] [comments]

    How Much body fat can you lose from diet only?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2020 04:26 AM PDT

    I'm around 20%ish body fat and would like to reduce it to 15% but with gyms being closed I can't do any resistance training bar some body weight exercises until they reopen in England.

    Height - 177cm Weight 73.5KG/161LBS

    I want to know if I meet my macronutrients with a 500kcal deficit from my TDEE how much body fat I can reduce in around 12 weeks.

    submitted by /u/AnMuSi
    [link] [comments]

    Oils from chicken.

    Posted: 11 Jun 2020 04:03 AM PDT

    Firstly, I am sorry if this breaks any rules and I am sorry if this is a stupid question.

    Hi, I have been cutting for nearly 2 months now. I eat chicken nearly every meal and have been steadily losing weight. However, recently I have been using the oil from the fat in my chicken to fry my rice.

    As I use a non-stick pan, I do not add any oil when cooking. However, I am worried about using the oil from the chicken I cook.

    I use a general 177 calories = 100g of chicken thigh to calculate calories.

    I also assume that the oil from the chicken fat is included in the 177 calories.

    Am I correct and just worrying over nothing?

    submitted by /u/SucculentScythe
    [link] [comments]

    L-Carnitine

    Posted: 11 Jun 2020 02:56 AM PDT

    Hello guys, I am 16 year old 179cm height and 77kg weight.. i want to get lean to the swim suit.. i am working out a lot and i struggle with eating . dont get me wrong i eat a lot of healthy food but the dosed are enourmous ..i have s bad habit of overesting i am working on it ..but i am just asking if L carnitin is healthy for my 16yo body if it wont damage my liver or something ...dont comment on my stupid goal to get lean to swimmer is more than that and i know i am completely fine with my body and look but i want to lose weight because i am starting to struggle with running good times

    submitted by /u/reddit_user1110
    [link] [comments]

    Deadlift Without Rubber Plates

    Posted: 11 Jun 2020 01:42 AM PDT

    My new gym doesn't have rubber plates for whatever reason. This is a problem for me on deadlifta because I just like to lift up then drop the weight. How much lower in weight should I go to safely lower the weight so I dont cause a scene dropping metal plates?

    submitted by /u/drugmaker07
    [link] [comments]

    What should I do to get a smaller, more toned butt? (male)

    Posted: 11 Jun 2020 12:43 AM PDT

    Throughout my life, a lot of my fat has always been stored around my butt, and no matter how much I lost around my waist, calves, arms and so on, my butt has always been jellying around.

    I want to take more serious measures to finally get rid of the fat there. I'm currently doing somewhat of an intermittent fasting (I don't eat until 12:00 every day), and I watch my calories, so I keep myself under the daily recommended amount. Though, I don't really watch specifically what I eat even though it's not totally unhealthy stuff (I have noticed, I may have a shortage of protein, so I plan on using protein shakes soon).

    When it comes to my workout that affects my glutes, I go for long walks every day (that hits the glutes, right?), and I do 100 kickbacks every time I work out (around 2 times a week, though I want to do it more often).

    Am I doing this right? Are there other excersizes that do it better? Am I doing something wrong with my diet?

    Any input is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Skidepote
    [link] [comments]

    so uh, my diet is crap and i wanna eat good but, i got some problems.

    Posted: 10 Jun 2020 11:46 PM PDT

    so basically, i wanna get more meat and good food into my diet, but i cant really get fresh meat, my parents buy my food and they only buy meat when its for dinner for that night. so i can only get canned meat really, which really only leaves me with chicken, tuna, turkey, and ham but i love red meat. something like the vertical diet sounds super appealing, but i cant get the ground beef/ribeye/bison for it. im not really looking to get healthy.

    but i wanna put on a good amount of muscle, and i hate chicken(more like im sick of eating it). but ground beef, hell yeah. i just switched over from power lifting focused training to hypertrophy training like a week ago, and its was weird. went from doing hard sets of 3-5 with something to it being a 1rm. bench fell off a lot, no more leg drive allowed so i gotta just muscle it. and high bar squat is way different.

    submitted by /u/Shadyscrip
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment