• Breaking News

    Monday, May 18, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 18 May 2020 12:55 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    PPL Routine Warm-Ups

    Posted: 17 May 2020 11:55 AM PDT

    Apologies for the silly question - should i be doing warm-up sets before every working set if i'm following the PPL routine?

    "WARMUPS

    (idea courtesy of /u/Gawd1)

    I'm a big believer in just practising the movement as a warmup. So you can use bench press to warm up for bench press. Or squats to warm up for squats. You get the idea. The goal of a warmup is to get blood into the muscles and joints that are going to be used, and also to start drilling the motor patterns into your body for form purposes."

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/lalakash
    [link] [comments]

    Question Concerning Calories Per Day

    Posted: 17 May 2020 12:34 PM PDT

    I've recently started eating healthier and trying to up my activity levels through walking every day. I'm a big guy, and really would like to lose weight. I'm 6'8" and weigh around 380 pounds. I've used a few calculators to see my total daily energy expenditure and it shows around 4,000 calories. I'm new to this and really don't quite understand what to do with this number as far as diet goes.

    I've been doing 18:6 intermittent fasting and trying to eat 3 healthy meals per day. My calorie intake is around 1,500 to 1,700 per day at the moment.

    My meals for an average day look something like:

    Breakfast: Half a cup of oats and a serving of chia seeds made into overnight oats with 2% milk and a scoop of protein powder and a banana.

    Lunch: Peanut Butter Sandwich, a handful of baby carrots, a glass of v8 juice, and a banana.

    Dinner: A chicken Breast, a couple servings of broccoli, spinach, or some other green veggie, with a carb such as a cup of rice, a baked sweet potato, and a couple servings of beans.

    My main questions is, should I be concerned that I'm getting less than half of my TDEE calories? I actually feel really good and am not too hungry most of the time. I try to make sure I'm getting a variety of vitamins and nutrients through fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains, and meats such as fish and chicken. My goal is not just weight loss, but to just be a healthier person in general. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Jazzlix08
    [link] [comments]

    Advice

    Posted: 18 May 2020 01:26 AM PDT

    I'm thinking of doing this intense endurance thing in order to burn some fat. I am an extremely strong swimmer and an okay runner. I live right on the lake and am planning on swimming to the beach 500 meters out and then running just over a 1km back home. Is this a good workout where I'll see actual results? Also any health benefits on swimming in cold water?

    submitted by /u/Koifmonster
    [link] [comments]

    Confusion About 531 BBB vs RP Volume Landmarks

    Posted: 18 May 2020 02:51 AM PDT

    I wanted to run the 531 BBB 3 month challenge. Recently I was looking at this spreadsheet for things like minimum volume, adaptive volume etc from Renaissance Periodization https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14eG45XqAG8e-_bE8jq-yjh2Vd_orwRHo4hcbWPhzpvE/edit?usp=sharing and it seems that even the minimum effective volumes are higher than what's prescribed with 531 BBB.

    For example, the chest minimum effective volume is 10 sets per week. And following the RP guidelines (https://renaissanceperiodization.com/training-volume-landmarks-muscle-growth/) the sets should be between 5-30 reps. Using these guidelines 531 BBB is only ~8 chest sets per week.

    For biceps, the minimum effective volume is 8, but BBB would only prescribe 6 sets of biceps per week.

    I understand that sets can be added, but the BBB outline seems very far off from what RP deem as necessary amounts of sets per week.

    Could someone shed some light? Is BBB outdated for hypertrophy?

    submitted by /u/DoorBoard
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for some advice and things to look out for with BFR training

    Posted: 17 May 2020 09:31 AM PDT

    I've decided to start Blood flow restriction (BFR) training.I've put my time into researching BFR and how it works but I would like some words of wisdom for people with experience, some do's and do not's would be helpful.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/ocrk
    [link] [comments]

    Stomach bulging

    Posted: 18 May 2020 12:47 AM PDT

    When I lie down and face up a little the middle area where abs would appear bulges and the left and right side doesn't......I'm very sure that's normal why does that happen and how can I fix it

    submitted by /u/mrhellooo
    [link] [comments]

    Dumbell exclusive workout routine

    Posted: 18 May 2020 04:40 AM PDT

    Hello. Recently ive gone over a change of lifestyle and I wish to be able to get muscle and a great physique. I have got the nutrition part done, i just have a problem picking the right workout routine.

    The thing is i only have a single pair of 20 pound dumbells. And i have been looking around for dumbell workouts, in the subreddits wiki, the internet, youtube etc. And i cant seem to find a dumbell exclusive workout. They all require benches and pull up bars, which as of now i cannot require due to financial problems.

    Is there any full body/split dumbell plan that will actually help me get my desired physique and hopefully in a rather short time (maybe in a year)

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/biggboiggy
    [link] [comments]

    Frankoman dumbbell progression

    Posted: 18 May 2020 04:10 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I have just started doing the frankoman dumbbell split and had a question about progression and the weights to use.

    I have dumbbells that are adjustable in increases of 4 kg from 4 to 32.

    I didn't realise I was meant to be upping the weight as I progress through the the exercise for the sets with less reps. But I feel with the weights I have it would be a bit dangerous as a beginner. (12 at 4, 10 at 8 the 8 at 12 seems like a big increase)

    Would I be better off at first stick at the same weight for all exercises then once I hit doing all reps at say 8KG then start to look at doing the increases?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Shniper
    [link] [comments]

    Am I doing it right with my protein, vitamine and kcal intake?

    Posted: 18 May 2020 04:04 AM PDT

    I am following an own made kind of diet (2750kcal maintain) which am following for quit a few years. And basicly I am eating the same thing every day for my breakfast, lunch, snack and before bed. The only thing I am varying is my diner.

    Mostly my meals are packed with protein, kcal and healthy fats with here and there a fruit. Just some milk, oatmeal, eggs, bread, nuts, cottage cheese, peanutbutter and banana's. As you can see not a lot of vegetables.

    For the lack of vegetables I am eating them a lot on my diner and my question is: Is 200-400gr vegetables each day in just 1 meal enough to meet my needs? Am I doing it right like this? No fancy mealplan, just plain meeting protein, fats, cars and kcal and with 1 mix of vegetables?

    submitted by /u/Hesje
    [link] [comments]

    Being active while sitting down

    Posted: 18 May 2020 04:03 AM PDT

    I wanted to know your tips on doing something active to burn calories while having to stick on a chair for the whole day. Before u say just get up and exercise I do it but the time I spent sitting down its too much and I wanted to do any change for the better even if it seems pointless. With this in mind what are your recomendations and thoughts.

    submitted by /u/Slam_Dunkester
    [link] [comments]

    Wide Bench

    Posted: 17 May 2020 10:02 PM PDT

    Hey guys, so during quarantine I've been working out at my home gym and I noticed that the bench I have at home is a lot wider than the bench in my gym, it's about 1-2 inches narrower. I'm a skinny/lanky guy so it feels like a big difference. When I first started at the home gym after gyms closed my estimated 1RM for bench went down by about 20 lbs but since then I have regained it and my estimated 1RM is about 20 lbs more than what I was doing at the gym. My question is would a wider bench impede my ability to bench, specifically I feel like it reduces the ROM of my shoulders and makes me flare my elbows out a little bit. Also, does this mean that I would bench even more than what I'm currently benching at the home gym when I return to my regular gym?

    submitted by /u/jven0530
    [link] [comments]

    "Dent" in my thigh?

    Posted: 18 May 2020 03:29 AM PDT

    I'm not really sure if this is fitness related or not, but since I have started to lift a lot heavier than usual and my muscles are growing, I thought it might be related to that?

    Anyway, just last night I noticed that there is a sort of "dent" in my right thigh. First I noticed it by feeling it, and then I saw that it is actually quite noticeable in the mirror too. I checked my other thigh, and it doesn't have the same at all.

    I train my legs exactly the same, but of course my right leg is my dominant leg. However, I can't really get it to make sense, since there is no particular muscle that would bulge out mid-thigh. I haven't really gained or lost weight, but it feels sort of like a dent in the fat, if that makes sense? Could it have something to do with re-comp?

    The only other reason I could find was something called lipoatrophia or something like that, but I don't fully understand how that works to be honest.

    Anyone experienced anything similar?

    Pics for reference: https://imgur.com/a/YleGl6O (Showing the "good" thigh in the second pic for comparison. It doesn't look too bad, I know. But it looks worse from certain angles, which I couldn't quite capture on photo)

    submitted by /u/OrdinaryProtection0
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need a harder workout?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 09:28 PM PDT

    After a tough workout my muscles seem to recover like nothing happened after an hour or two. I'm reasonably new to weights and body building but I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong or not putting in enough work. Should I do more or is it natural for my muscles to repair quickly?

    submitted by /u/IAmCheese01
    [link] [comments]

    Do you guys have any advice for my Specific situation?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 11:54 PM PDT

    Hey fit bros, I want to use quarantine to really get into shape. I read all the stuff in the sidebar/wiki but I want to see if anyone here has specialized advice?

    For context I am 5'6, 22 years old, male and 260ish lbs of ham. (Fat manlet I know) and I want to change that, or at least be strong ham.

    I am endomorphic if that matters and the big problem I run into aside from having basically no experience working out is that there is a genetic heart condition that runs in the family.

    (not muh genetics but like actually no male in my family on my fathers side no matter how in shape has lived past mid 40s early 50s because of a bad ticker, and no man on my mothers side has lived past roughly 60 for the same reason.

    And Im not sure if this matters but I also get kidney stones. Ive cut out soda except for maybe 3 to 5 times a year and Ive been eating a lot more protein, I got a set of 5 10 and 15lb kettlebells as well as a 35lb dumbbell.

    How should I go about starting to safely build strength without ending up in the hospital? I am thinking a lot of situps for core strength and youtube tutorials on beginner kettleball exercises mixed with bodyweight exercises like squats and pushups.

    Am I on the right track? Also I can't hit the gym, I am limited to what I have in my house because my moms on chemo and my dad has MS so their immune systems are fucked and they don't want me dragging the wuflu in so I'm stuck inside.

    Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

    submitted by /u/razezero1
    [link] [comments]

    Bodyweight Exercise and Fitness

    Posted: 17 May 2020 07:25 PM PDT

    Hi! I'm a naturally very thin female university student who cannot afford a personal trainer. When I'm at school, I have access to a gym with weights. Recently, I have been doing bodyweight exercises (just completed Chloe Ting's 2 week shred) and have seen some results.

    A question I have is: can I continue going into progressive overload with just bodyweight exercises? I find them easy to do because they're in my home and don't require any equipment. I have some experience with weightlifting but have no idea if my form has been correct (one of my friends quickly taught me some exercises but that's all I had). I also don't want to dedicate my life to exercise. I have a whole lot of hobbies that I like doing and saw another post somewhere saying a significant amount of my free time has to be working out. I just want to stay at a healthy weight and live a long, fairly active life.

    Can I maintain this by just doing bodyweight exercises? Or at a certain point, will I have to move on to something else? I really just want something sustainable.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mspalandas
    [link] [comments]

    How do you count your protein?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 06:53 PM PDT

    First of all, I would like to apologise if this is a stupid question.I have never took workout that seriously, so I have been wondering this question a lot of times.

    I have seen some people to suggest on others " aim for 1.4–3.3 g/kg (0.64–1.50 g/lb) to build muscle" and I don't understand what that means.Is this for people who take extra protein supplements/powder?If I eat a lot of meat (2-3 meals in a day) is it enough and how much is it?

    Thanks everyone.Stay safe during these wild times! :)

    submitted by /u/MaKGreK
    [link] [comments]

    How long does it take to become "null" to an exercise/weight range

    Posted: 17 May 2020 07:23 PM PDT

    I read some stuff online about "progressive overload" and how you're supposed to keep doing more difficult workouts if you want to see better results (for example, you might do push-ups but once those become easy switch to one-arm push-ups or something)

    Can anyone let me know if this is true? And if so, how long (in general) does it take for an exercise to become too easy that you need to make it harder

    I'm assuming it varies person-person and exercise-exercise but is there any general idea like a couple days or months

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Blooooon
    [link] [comments]

    Is losing body fat/doing a calorie deficit a good idea for a college cross country runner?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 12:07 PM PDT

    I'm going to (hopefully) being running for a college around the end of the this year for their cross country + track team. But I also am trying to lose a good amount of body fat because even with my short height and lack of pounds, I still have about 20-24% body fat. Is it a good idea to start getting rid of it or will it take a toll on my running I do on a almost daily basis?

    submitted by /u/Instinct_Nemoh
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment