• Breaking News

    Monday, May 4, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Beginner Fitness: Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread


    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 04 May 2020 12:52 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    Is walking good exercise?

    Posted: 03 May 2020 02:36 PM PDT

    I've seen conflicting answers as to whether or not it helps any. I've been trying to become healthier/more for throughout quarantine and have taken up walking.

    I walk about 1-2.5 miles a day depending on how much time I have.

    Is it good for fitness? Is it good cardio? Can it aid in weight loss, or is it too little?

    I'm trying to lose some weight I've gained and get back out of the obese category, but I'm trying to ease into it.

    Thank you ♡

    EDIT: I just wanted to make a note because I keep getting a lot of replies about diet before exercise (not that they're bad comments, it's excellent advice and I do appreciate it!). I'm already eating 1400/day, which on it's own a ~1lb weight loss a week sedentary. I'm eating primarily plant based.

    submitted by /u/carlsolomonsblues
    [link] [comments]

    Monthly Apps, Gadgets and Gear Megathread!

    Posted: 04 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Monthly Apps, Gadgets and Gear Megathread!

    This thread is for sharing fitness related apps, technological gadgets, and training gear that you've found helpful for your fitness goals.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Did my first upper body workout yesterday

    Posted: 04 May 2020 03:46 AM PDT

    I did it after a cycle and some star jumps so that I was warm. I did some push ups, sit ups, crunches, leg raises and a plank. I stretched out my arms and abs afterwards but today every muscle that I worked out is really sore. Is this supposed to happen or did I do something wrong? Maybe I didn't hold my stretches for longer? Should I stretch after I'm warm but before I work out? Any advice would really be appreciated

    submitted by /u/panalangaling
    [link] [comments]

    Are rigid leg muscles common when starting out leg lifts?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 01:18 AM PDT

    So I recently began pilates ( and by recently I mean 20 minutes ago) and I noticed during the leg raise portions my legs felt heavy (normal for me since my legs are chubby) and very stiff. I mean, rock hard. That part was new to me.

    has anyone else experienced this?

    submitted by /u/Italianabanana
    [link] [comments]

    Confused On How to Position My Shoulders For Back/Chest Exercises.

    Posted: 04 May 2020 01:17 AM PDT

    If I take flat dumbbell press for example do I focus on pulling/dropping my shoulders back and then pinching them together or so i tense them up closer to my head?

    Same goes for back exercises, for example any type of rows, do I need to drop my shoulders down or keep my traps tensed therefore shoulders higher?

    submitted by /u/WhatACarrickter
    [link] [comments]

    What are the benefits of a push/pull/legs split as opposed to a full body/upper body/lower body split?

    Posted: 03 May 2020 07:47 PM PDT

    I'm somewhat of an amateur so I don't know all the details or science or whatever you wanna call it in regards to these two types of splits. Currently, I lift weights three times a week in a full body/upper body/lower body split. I've seen some people endorse this split and it works for me. I'm not really looking to change but I am curious about what the different benefits of a push/pull/legs split are? Do you guys use one of these? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Which would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/kolky12
    [link] [comments]

    Quality HIIT videos for beginners?

    Posted: 03 May 2020 10:11 PM PDT

    After several weeks of quarantine (and at least two more in our city) my wife wants to begin working out at home.

    Before we spend hours searching through what I'm sure are many options I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for a series of 10-15 minute quality HIIT videos (or any other body weight, total body series)? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/erikgpeterson
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone tried the routines mentioned in Frank Zane's Personal Training Diaries book? If yes, how were your results?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 01:40 AM PDT

    I just got the book and am curious to know if someone else has already done it! Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/AnmolDilipkumar
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with doing wall slides

    Posted: 04 May 2020 01:33 AM PDT

    I am trying to improve my awful posture and I saw a video on doing wall slides (getting into position and sliding your arms above you whilst maintaining certain contact with the wall). However, I am finding it impossible to keep my arms against the wall during the movement, and very hard to keep my lower back against the wall too.

    Can anyone recommend an easier variation of this movement or any exercises to help me in keeping my arms against the wall?

    submitted by /u/bestd25
    [link] [comments]

    Best undies?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 12:58 AM PDT

    So I've been walking a lot lately, mostly a few miles every day, and occasionally 10-25 miles in a day. I've noticed my undies, or just my cheeks rubbing together, make friction rashes or sores. I'm female, but find men's undies comfy too. What have y'all found best for long distance? While we're at it, how do you find great walking shoes? I can't tell the difference till I've walked 10 miles in a pair.

    submitted by /u/autumn-ember-7
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any hope for "Runners Itch" ?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 12:42 AM PDT

    I'm trying to get into running since I don't really have room for any other kind of exercise in my very small apartment.

    The trouble is that I can't get past the runners itch every time I start walking/running. It gets to the point where I'm sobbing while trying to run/walk because the itchiness is so unberable and of course that kind of ruins any breath control I had going on.

    The only thing I saw was trying to "work through" it. I don't want to sound like a baby but if I'm itching so badly that I can't physically take it any more, how am I supposed to "work through it." I can't even exerise long enough to work up a sweat. The only advantage I found was that I was so desperate to get home to put cold compresses on my legs that I literally sprinted the entire way home crying. I looked like a crazy person. I understand what causes the itchiness (Blood vessels expanding in the legs) But I can't see how a normal person just works through the unbearable itchiness.

    I tried taking claritan before my run to try and calm down the itchiness but it didn't work in the slightest. Has any one else tried to deal with this? I did research on this to try and find some kind of solution, but every single thing I read just basically said "Eventually it will stop"

    How am I supposed to get to eventually when I can't make it past the starting point?

    submitted by /u/dawrina
    [link] [comments]

    CFFB or Jacked Street?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 12:09 AM PDT

    I've been using Jacked Street programming for the last few months and love it - find it challenging and interesting and very well thought out. I've also had the Crossfit Football excel sheet that was knocking around here saved on my laptop for years and I've always wanted to try it. Like everyone else I have spent the last while kitting out a home gym which got me thinking this may be the time to try CFFB because I have the equipment and it's my own space. My question is; is CFFB any good? Has anyone tried it or better yet tried both it and Jacked Street? Any results out there?

    TLDR; should I stay living on Jacked Street or run off with Crossfit Football?

    submitted by /u/GoodShipKangaroo
    [link] [comments]

    Fatigue from Bodyweight Training

    Posted: 03 May 2020 07:36 PM PDT

    So in an attempt to stay fit during this lockdown I've turned to bodyweight workouts like a lot of others. I'm having a LOT of trouble though and I can't figure out why, so if anyone has any insight to this that'd be great.

    Some background: 26M, 5'10, 175. I've been lifting since I was about twelve I'd say. Simple at first, but I was pretty serious by the time I was sixteen. Chilled out a lot but stayed active, lost, gained, and lost a lot of fat (250-170ish). I've always been pretty athletic and just before this I was lifting four days a week and cycling classes twice a week no problem. Just focused on being healthy now, not getting huge or anything.

    However, any amount of body weight exercise messes with me really hard. If I ignore the fatigue I can get through a few sets of pushups and some core work, but I feel light-headed and nauseous for the rest of the day. Two sets of pistol squats (assisted because I'm really bad at them so far) and I'm basically useless until the following morning.

    Part of me thought I was coming down with the big bad the first time this happened, but now I'm kind of thinking that maybe it's just like new people just starting at the gym where the first two weeks are hell. Since it's a new type of workout maybe my body is just being pissy about it? I haven't tried roughing it out for long than about a week because I don't really enjoy feeling horrible, but is that what it's going to take?

    I guess my questions are: is this a common problem? Is there an easy explanation? Do I just need to suck it up until it gets better?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AlphaDishhands
    [link] [comments]

    Any lifters that are also regular surfers here?

    Posted: 03 May 2020 07:26 PM PDT

    I surf a lot, usually at least 3 times a week in the cold south island of New Zealand in a 5/5 mm full body wetsuit. I am also trying to make progress building muscle to be heavier to do more powerful carves and to develop my legs because they are quite skinny especially the calves.

    I am wondering if I miss back and shoulder workouts will these muscle groups still develop effectively since I am using them a lot with resistance from the wetsuit while I surf? Then I could focus more on building my legs, chest and biceps in between surfing.

    As a surfer gaining is challenging since you are doing a shit tonne of cardio. Are there any surfers/lifters on Reddit that have found a good workout routine to compliment their surfing?

    submitted by /u/strungoutfelon
    [link] [comments]

    How to do deadlift properly?

    Posted: 03 May 2020 10:23 PM PDT

    They say that you have to feel like you're pulling back not pulling up but when i lean back, i feel like my all the pressure is on my heels and i will fall backwards if not holding onto the bar.

    Is it normal to have all the pressure on heels instead of whole foot when pulling up the bar?

    And also is it safe to do it on a thick gym mat that is quite soft and will leave footprint dents on the mat? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/taquitoxz86
    [link] [comments]

    Sprinting + Long runs all in the schedule? (weekly inside)

    Posted: 03 May 2020 09:48 PM PDT

    Hi,

    My primary objective is to get a good looking body, with slightly visible muscular cuts. Given how ectomorphic I am.. I barely gain mass, although strength increases (relative to my skinny frame).

    I also want to improve my 1mile, 5k (25mins at this point) and 10k (56mins) times. I realize this is not a singular focus for my training, but that's how it is at this point, and I don't know if keeping the objectives varied would make it difficult to achieve any of the goals.

    So I was thinking of a weekly plan for myself.

    • Running 5 days a week:
    Run Distance Weekly Freq
    Sprint 400m or 100mx3 1
    Run 1 mile 2
    Run 1k 1
    Slow jog 3-5k 1
    1. What do you think of this schedule? Would this be useful to attempt to meet my goals?

    2. Does it make sense to run twice a day if I feel energetic enough, say a run in the morning and a slow jog in the evening? (to effectively make it upto 8-10 runs on a high energy week)

    3. How many days a week is good to avoid hurting myself while still improving?

    Please feel free to share any other suggestions/warnings/ideas etc if any.

    submitted by /u/paninee
    [link] [comments]

    Add on weights?

    Posted: 03 May 2020 09:29 PM PDT

    So I have a dumbell kit from my dad's friend. Its adjustable, but so far it only can have 15 on each side. Does anyone know any companies that sell dumbell plates? I'm new to working out at home so I don't know the specific term, but I'm basically looking for add on weights to dumbells that I could use. Thanks for any replies!

    submitted by /u/Altec2001
    [link] [comments]

    How do I bounce my pecs?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 03:15 AM PDT

    I am aesthetically fit. I tried bounce pecs similar to shown in this video https://streamable.com/9g41my. I made unsuccessful attempt to copy the guy in video.

    Do you need to have lot of pec muscles for it? or it's more of control thing. I have seen guy with moob bouncing pecs. I do not have moobs. I do regular gym but I am unable to bounce pec muscles.

    Any tips or specific advice?

    submitted by /u/kart678
    [link] [comments]

    Why do I feel skinny after not working out?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 12:11 AM PDT

    I'm naturally skinny, so I've been exercising for about a year, and managed to put on some decent weight.

    However, if I miss a workout day or don't workout for like 2-3 days, I feel skinny.

    Is this a mental problem or am I somehow actually skinnier?

    I eat decently, I try to eat about every 2-3 hours, but eating is probably my main problem because I get lazy.

    submitted by /u/TheVikingGoat420
    [link] [comments]

    Weight Cut Question

    Posted: 03 May 2020 10:21 AM PDT

    I have a random question that I can't seem to find the answer to:

    I know traditionally water weight cuts are drastic. Is there a way to do this in a way that is less drastic? I have to weigh in for something in 5 days and I have 4 pounds to lose.

    I'm thinking if I can do a water weight "cut" on a smaller scale that would help?!

    submitted by /u/RainbowMountains
    [link] [comments]

    Reverse Grip, Close Grip And Twisting Dumbbell Presses Feel Like They Work My Chest More Than Standard Dumbbell Presses, Does That Mean I Should Make Them My Primary Go-To Dumbbell Exercises? Or Is My Body Deceiving Me?

    Posted: 03 May 2020 01:01 PM PDT

    Hi there,

    Simply put, the dumbbell chest press where you turn your wrists at the top of the press until you're in a reverse grip position (returning to normal grip on your way down from the top) feels like it is engaging the chest more than a standard straight up straight down dumbbell press, this is true for close grip and reverse grip presses. If so, should I make these exercises my primary chest dumbbell exercisers over the standard dumbbell press?

    Should I expand this to all exercises, i.e, regardless of what anyone says, if a less popularized exercise feels like it is targeting a given muscle or muscle group more than a common exercise for that same muscle, I should go with the exercise that feels like it is targeting that muscle more?

    FYI, I'm not suggesting I do away with the standard dumbbell press (or any other common exercise), I am asking the question: if reverse grip presses and close grip presses feel like they are engaging the chest more, should I not focus on those types of exercises instead? Or is there an objective answer that says the less common exercises cannot work given muscle groups more than the most popular exercises? Could my body be deceiving me?

    Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/BillMurray2020
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment