• Breaking News

    Tuesday, May 5, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: I (35/M) have been exercising regularly for 8 months, but I have questions

    Beginner Fitness: I (35/M) have been exercising regularly for 8 months, but I have questions


    I (35/M) have been exercising regularly for 8 months, but I have questions

    Posted: 04 May 2020 10:15 AM PDT

    I was 208 pounds (5'11") on June 1st of last year, when I changed my diet completely and resolved only to become more active (considering various injuries I figured 'real' exercise was beyond reach). By the end of August my weight was back in the 150s, but I was not satisfied. To make a long story short, I hit upon the exercise program 'DDP Yoga'. I first gave it a try on Labor Day (September 2nd) and immediately knew it was something I could do. Over time old pains became less severe. Physically there have been clear changes as well.

    It's now been 8 months. 5 to 6 days a week I go along with an hour of these yoga+calisthenics workouts. Afterwards I often do extra push ups, crunches, squats, jump rope, etc. There's no denying I've made progress, but given my age, situation and lack of experience, I genuinely don't know what to make of the results. People in my personal life now think I'm way too skinny. I don't entirely disagree. From September thru November my weight steadily dropped by another 25 pounds, to about 130. I stayed at 130 pounds with little fluctuation from December thru February. I made it a New Year's Resolution of sorts to eat more, though it wasn't until March that I started to see an increase on the scale. I feel like I had to eat a lot of food to gain 5 pounds in the last two months, more than I've ever eaten in such a timeframe (I've been 135 pounds all this week).

    I've been looking around for some time now, unsure of where to post this. All I know is I still feel like a beginner, so this subreddit felt like a possible place to start. Progress pic: https://i.imgur.com/ckc3H5e.jpg [Again, I was already down 50+ lbs in the first picture. I included the middle picture from December only to show my loose skin when it was at its worst.]

    My main question revolves around this weight gain thing: Am I on the right track eating more while continuing on with what I've been doing? Did I shortchange myself from the start by not eating enough? If gaining weight is now the goal, should I transition into something else entirely? I run into weight-lifting recommendations endlessly online but I don't know if I can handle that. 35 seems old to start, but I feel so much healthier than I have in years, perhaps there's still time? How long do people stick with exercise videos like this DDP Yoga in general? I'm not bored with it yet, but if I can get better results with something else I would consider it.

    I have so many more questions but they can wait for another day I suppose. Big picture - and all nitpicking aside - I am so glad I did what I did! I feel 1000% better today than I did this time last year. It's been an amazing experience!

    submitted by /u/martyy777
    [link] [comments]

    New posture & stretch video. Open the chest, stretch and breathe!

    Posted: 04 May 2020 01:01 PM PDT

    Due to social distancing and being home most of the time , I made a 28 day workout challenge great for beginners and it has 4 phases to slowly progress https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvpHteEYSr2_JZsub0IAAt90Fxp3EmriK be safe , be well and healthier you

    Posted: 04 May 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment