• Breaking News

    Tuesday, May 5, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Routine Campfire - Deep Water Method

    Beginner Fitness: Routine Campfire - Deep Water Method


    Routine Campfire - Deep Water Method

    Posted: 04 May 2020 09:00 AM PDT

    Welcome to the next r/Fitness Campfire series - Routine Campfires! You can read the original announcement thread along with the future schedule here.


    This week's topic: Deep Water Method

    Ask questions you have about this routine in this thread, and the community will help you get an answer.


    Here are the rules for Routine Campfires:

    • Routine Campfires are for asking specific questions about a specific routine and getting answers from the community.
    • Top level comments must be a specific question about the topic routine. Questions which are excessively vague to a point of being difficult to answer directly will not be permitted. Comments should not be used for general chit-chat, just for asking and answering questions.
    • Routine Campfires are not for routine critique requests of any kind. This includes but is not limited to: tweaks, lift replacements, accessory choices. All such questions should be directed to the Daily Thread exactly as any normal routine critique would be.
    • Replies to questions should be either an answer to the question, or asking the poster for information necessary to better answer the question.
    • Comments which in any way support or encourage piracy of a routine or its material will be removed and posters who make them banned permanently.
    • Comments should be civil and serious. Jokes, memes, and rudeness will not be permitted.
    • If the answer to a question can be found in an existing page about the routine, please be sure to include a link to the page.
    • Please check the thread to see if your question has been asked prior to posting.

    Comments which break these rules will be removed and posters given bans at the discretion of the moderators. Remember when you participate that the purpose of these threads is to develop community resources for those who come to r/Fitness for help in the future.

    submitted by /u/purplespengler
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 05, 2020

    Posted: 05 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    What Burns More Calories: Walking or Running?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 09:41 PM PDT

    Lets say one day I take 1hr, 15 mins to walk 5 miles (15min pace). The next day I run the same 5 miles but it takes me only 40 mins (8min pace).

    My question lies in this: does the (almost double) amount of time spent walking make up for the lack of high-intensity exercise that running provides, when it comes to calorie burning?

    Note: I'm fully aware that running is better for both health and cardio, im talking strictly about calories here. Its just a thought experiment

    submitted by /u/Freezetyle
    [link] [comments]

    Why is running so miserable for me?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 11:05 PM PDT

    I get at least 30 mins of moderate to high intensity cardio everyday. Biking outdoors is my absolute favorite. When I have access to the gym, I do a combo of the stationary bike, stair stepper, and elliptical. I've always hated running so I never really do it. I've been actively working out (5-6 days a week) for the past year and a half and I have lost a significant amount of weight.

    I figured running would be easier/more enjoyable/less painful than it was for me in the past so I decided to switch it up and go for a run. I barely lasted 12 mins of jogging and hated every second of it. It hurt my legs, knees and mostly my lungs.

    How should I work on becoming a better runner? Will I ever get to a point where it is enjoyable?

    submitted by /u/Urmomsmygolffriend
    [link] [comments]

    Am I overthinking it? IFT 16/8 + KETO+ 5/3/1

    Posted: 05 May 2020 04:04 AM PDT

    Hi as the title says I'm doing a combination of these three. I work between 8.30-17.00, due to job circumstances I eat at lunch at 10.30 and since I workout at 17ish and get done around 18.30 how should I do with IFT? since I'm missing the window.

    Should I just skip IFT? The reason why I'm asking is because I've read that there's no point in doing IFT if it's not atleast 16/8.

    Goals are pretty basic with just losing weight and getting stronger.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/joarwar
    [link] [comments]

    Recommend an exercise machine for my wife...

    Posted: 05 May 2020 03:52 AM PDT

    Hey. My wife has asked for an exercise machine for her 40th birthday. I've no experience with machines as I get fit from all the watersports I do, so I'm really confused as to what kind of machine would suit her. Currently looking at Ellipticals, Crosstrainers, Max Trainers, and simple treadmills, but really open to suggestions...

    Mostly she wants to build cardio fitness, but would also like something with an element of strength training, including upper body if possible. Other than walking she hasn't done any exercise for several years due to ongoing mental health problems, so easy accessibility for a beginner is important. Simplicity is also key, as her problems create a huge mental barrier to exercise, anything too complicated, technical, gadgety or fiddley risks creating another reason to not do it.

    That's partly why she wants a machine, something she doesn't have to think about too much, she just wants to get on and go...

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Critical_Fault
    [link] [comments]

    Difficulty cutting

    Posted: 05 May 2020 03:22 AM PDT

    Anyone know how to drop additional weight while in the final stretch of cutting? I dropped about 9 pounds the last 7 weeks and added cardio 2 weeks ago. I'm 5'9 163lbs around 10% (according to a scale & calipers). I'm down to around 2200 calories daily with cardio once a week. Should I Increase my deficit or activity ( I follow a PPL routine 6x weekly).

    Also I've been lifting consistently the last 3 years, I'm curious to see how I'd look around 6-7% having been skinny fat since starting (131-175lbs). Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/chopinNIBLETS
    [link] [comments]

    Dissapointed and Confused with my Gains

    Posted: 04 May 2020 10:56 PM PDT

    I am 14 years old, 136lbs and 5'9. I started lifting weights when I was in 7th grade and slightly overweight, and had been going on and off with working out since. But, I made it a commitment to start taking things seriously in my freshman year of high school. I joined the track team, and started lifting very regularly on the bench in my garage. I also implemented a short nightly workout that I have done every single night since I started, with the exception of maybe 7-8 days off.

    Since then, I have physically seen dramatic improvement. I have lost almost 15 lbs, and I look very toned to myself in the mirror. Looking at myself, I feel muscular and all that good stuff. But my numbers don't show it.

    I can't tell anyone what I do because the weights are so low. Every other day I currently do 5x5 105lbs bench, 5x5 65lbs overhead press, and 5x1 120lbs deadlift. From what I've seen online and from others, these numbers are very low.

    I have friends who have never worked a day in their life, certainly look like they have never worked out a day in their life, and start the first day with bigger numbers than myself. I just.. don't get it. I look more muscular than my friends, and I am certainly bigger than them. Back in October when I was benching 75lbs 5x5 I was so proud of myself I told a friend and he literally said straight up with a very confused look on his face "that's nothing. That's almost no weight" and I haven't told anyone my numbers since.

    (Also my nightly routine consists of: 20lbs dumbbell hammer hold 10x1, hammer overhead 10x1, palm in 5x1, palm out 5x1, and finally palm in 5x1. After this I do an ab workout consisting of: 100 curl ups x1, 100 Russian twists x1, 1min forearm plank, and finally 15 pushups)

    Also, regarding track, I run every single day in a variety of different ways; track workouts, long runs, recovery runs, hills, etc. but I still haven't seen any improvements in my times (in fact, I've even seen some times go up). I still can't even run 20min straight without a waking break, and my mile time PR is still 6:25, set at a meet in February. However, my runs have felt much better, and I have physically seen improvement in my appearance.

    So I guess what I'm trying to ask is, What am I doing wrong? Why are numbers so shit despite putting in the time and motivation? Why do I appear so strong but don't have the numbers to back it up?

    submitted by /u/EntireDay6
    [link] [comments]

    1 workout per muscle group enough?

    Posted: 05 May 2020 01:11 AM PDT

    So since I've been in quarantine I've been doing at home workouts with my dumbbells, body weight and pull up bar since my gym is closed, and I still want to get bigger.

    It's been over a month since I started my at home workouts, but I only have limited amount of workouts I can do. I only have 1 workout per muscle(chest,shoulder,lats etc) for 3 sets 12 reps.

    Should I just add more sets to my workouts? The other home workouts I know I can do, I just don't like thats why I only have 1 workout for each muscle group.

    submitted by /u/S1pr
    [link] [comments]

    Does electrolyte powder expire?

    Posted: 05 May 2020 12:20 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I have some electrolyte powder from Myprotein that has a best before date dated October 2019 and has been opened for awhile. Just wondering if it's safe to consume still?

    submitted by /u/RupturedPhenomenon
    [link] [comments]

    Is it silly to ask my high school to borrow gym equipment from our weight room?

    Posted: 05 May 2020 03:24 AM PDT

    It's 3 AM, thoughts are wandering, silly question. I miss the gym a lot, where most of my gains were done in my high school's weight room. What are chances I'd be able to borrow gym equipment such as a bench and a barbel? I'll ask later today probably, just wondering if it's a silly question.

    submitted by /u/brytahea
    [link] [comments]

    Would anyone happen to know of any adjustable dumbbells that are decent for under $100?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 11:03 PM PDT

    I'm trying to get into better shape and don't have room for equipment like pull-up bars or a bench and weights, so I've decided on adjustable dumbbells. If anyone has recommendations please let me know!

    submitted by /u/macaroniandsalt
    [link] [comments]

    Training methods

    Posted: 04 May 2020 11:00 PM PDT

    Suppose I wanted to do 100 pushups in 2 minutes. Should I:

    A) Keep doing sets of 100 pushups until I do it under 2 minutes OR

    B) Keep doing sets of 2 minutes and try to get as many as I can in 2 minutes?

    submitted by /u/Llsangerman
    [link] [comments]

    Help with squat

    Posted: 04 May 2020 10:26 PM PDT

    I have bone spurs in the front of both of my ankles that prevent me from getting my knees past my toes. Or dorsiflexion. I was wondering what muscles should I stretch to help me get down into a deep squat without my knees traveling past my toes.

    submitted by /u/SsRk1
    [link] [comments]

    Issues Keeping Lower Back Engaged on Chest and Back Workouts

    Posted: 04 May 2020 10:08 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    To make a long story short, I broke my collarbone 8 years ago and had a plate surgically slapped on. I didn't go to physical therapy/rehab and this lead to me developing bad lifting form that slowly devolved into causing mean really bad shoulder issues. I ended up going to PT for the first time a few months ago. I had pretty much totally morphed my back musculature into a non-functional system. Support muscles had completely atrophied and my traps had largely taken over the bulk of my back support.

    PT helped me fix my form issues and strengthened my rotator cuffs, and then they sent me off since things were improving. However, I just kept stalling out on bench and back workouts still didn't feel right. Through trial and error, I've discovered that the majority of my issues stem from my lower back, particularly on my left side, not engaging on any lifts. I've started mentally engaging it in my back lifts, but I just can't get it to work on chest.

    Are there any particular movements that I can do at home to help me engage my back when doing chest lifts? Or should I merely focus on strengthening my lower back? I've been doing birddogs for about two weeks now, and while I can tell my back is getting stronger, it still isn't kicking in on bench. I'm pretty limited with what I can do at home, as all I have is a custom-made bench for bench press and an assortment of dumbbells.

    submitted by /u/boywonder200
    [link] [comments]

    I lost all my gains.

    Posted: 04 May 2020 10:03 PM PDT

    Hey, so because of quarantine i (19F) haven't been able to lift weight for 2 months. during the first couple weeks i was motivated and tried to train at home with bodyweight then quickly got bored and sick of it. I am a beginner and have been properly weightlifting for 7 months and have made some decent progress, but now i am so desperate, i feel like i lost all my of my muscles, my pants fit looser than usual and my legs and bum got significantly smaller. Will i be able to quickly get to my old physique when gyms open, or will i go back to square one? Ps: i have been eating mostly healthy food, but haven't been counting my calories. (again, i got really demotivated with all what's happening)

    submitted by /u/FitnessUser666
    [link] [comments]

    Fitness Journey and Chris Heria's Weighted Vest Review

    Posted: 04 May 2020 10:45 PM PDT

    Chris Heria's Weighted Vest (28 lbs)

    So just a little backstory. Back last July(2019) I was around 206 lbs at 5'8. When my family went on vacation I stayed behind and started to workout at home since I was bored. I stopped going and paying at NYSC by me because I just saw it as a waste of money since I had no motivation to go there and months just went by and money burned as well. I've had way more results from working out at home compared to the past 3+ years at NYSC. I started on the elliptical for 30 minutes, 45 then 1 hour at a time. I'd be doing fasted cardio while also cutting down my calorie intake by alot(HIIT is what I'd be sticking to til the present today). Then to change it up, I would do HIIT where I'd go on the highest intensity for 3 minutes straight then cool down for 2 and repeat. With all the cardio I would mix in running, free weights and pushups/miscellaneous exercises(youtube) at home. At my lowest weight I was around 169-171 in the morning.

    Now I've been averaging around 173 in the morning and I feel great. I'm in the best shape of my life. I watch what I eat and of course treat myself to something once in a while. Mixing in sprinting for one day(at night before dark by the nearby school), walking with ankle weights the day after for at least an hour and then the following day walking with no ankle weights. Rest from cardio for a day or so then repeat after my legs weren't that sore anymore from the sprints. I would do walking to keep my legs loose. Arms, Back, Shoulders and chest exercises with free weights later on in the day. It helps that I have a pretty good bench I still use from back in high school. I'm 29 right now so you can do the math as to when I got it around lol.

    I decided since I'm saving money by not having to commute to NYC for work that I'd treat myself to something that I'll constantly benefit from. I was looking up different weighted vests in the past and never decided to pull the trigger on buying one. I'd look at the reviews on amazon and watch youtube videos of the products and would not be impressed. Now here comes Chris Heria's weighted vest and I clicked on a few reviews. Most seemed like honest reviews while a couple were just hyping it up because the vest was from Chris Heria. The thing that the reviews raved about was the sheer quality of the product. Great durable material compared to other brands. It was also nice that the vest wasn't filled with sand but with the iron bars. I ordered the 28 lb vest on 4/27 and got it today, 5/4. Theres 2 rows of 3 bars in the from and another 2 rows of 3 bars in the back. You can see it in the picture that I attached to the link. So trying it on after attaching the velcro belt it felt pretty nice. It was a bit annoying to get the vest over my head since it's kinda big but no big issues there. After tightening it up so it was loose after I'd move around I started to do dips at home and push ups. Dips were fine and of course challenging while regular push ups were annoying to do. The front part of the vest gets in the way and I couldn't go as low as I usually do for them. The only viable options for push ups are incline and decline versions. After that I started the cardio and I was able to run one stretch towards my elementary school which is about a quarter mile and I was gassed. The vest kicked my ass. Even with me tightening the vest so it wouldn't move as much, it still did. I did my usual hour walk and I was definitely feeling the effects of the vest. Afterwards I tried a few pull ups which were extremely tough but I was able to do just one at a time since my fingers were giving out from the wide grip stance. Overall I think it is going to be a great investment. The only exercise that I can think of that you will have to figure a away around is just push ups. Anything that requires you to have your chest at or near the ground will be affected. If you're worried about the price being hefty before shipping which is also a good amount, don't let it bother you too much. I was the same way til I bit the bullet. You can always fill a backpack with books or something to make it tougher to walk but it won't be too helpful if you want to jog with it or do other body exercises. Vests are more convenient and I stand by my recommendation of Chris Heria's over other's that you may be looking at yourself. I look forward to what I will be able to accomplish in my fitness journey with this vest added to my arsenal. Thanks for taking the time to read my review and stay safe. Be smart and wear at least a mask when you go out shopping and of course wash your hands!

    submitted by /u/xTheRKOx
    [link] [comments]

    Is this... “side plank hip raises with feet elevated” exercise bad for the spine?

    Posted: 04 May 2020 10:34 AM PDT

    I just tried this, get into a side plank with your feel elevated like on a chair or something, then lower your hips to the ground and come back up again and squeeze at the top.

    Is there a name for this? And is it good or bad?

    I did this in place of dumbbell side bend as they make my back feel weird the next day and I don't like them.

    submitted by /u/5eurokebabmeal
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment