• Breaking News

    Friday, May 8, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 08, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 08, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 08, 2020

    Posted: 08 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for progression when having to increase weight lifted by 20 or 30 pounds at a time due to only having 10 and 25lb plates available?

    Posted: 07 May 2020 09:33 PM PDT

    So I am fortunate enough to have a 45lb barbell but I currently only have some 25lb plates and one pair of 10lb plates. This means that if I want to load the barbell symmetrically using these plates I must go up or down in increments of at least 20lb at a time.

    (Unless I try something kind of unusual like asymmetrically loading the plates, or try hanging water bottles off the bar with string or duct tape which I think would alter the mechanics of the exercise by requiring more work to stabilize than normal)

    I have recently been doing some high rep German Volume Training style workouts of 10 working sets of 10 reps for each exercise. It's the highest volume I have ever done, and have been enjoying it and feel it's been good for helping weight loss and increasing stamina. So I'd like to keep doing this style of workouts for at least awhile longer.

    But now I have gotten used to the weights I have been using and feel it's time to increase. For example, I have been using the 45lb bar with a pair of 25lb plates for a total of 95lb on strict OHP. Over the past few weeks I have gone from not being able to complete a full 10 reps on the last few sets to being able to do all sets with 10 good form reps.

    If I had some smaller plates it would be a no brainer to just add a 2.5 or 5lbs to each side and seek to progress that way.

    But the smallest increase I can make with my currently limited plate selection is to add a 10lb plate to each side, which would increase the weight from 95 to 115. If I do that, I suspect I probably wouldn't be able to get all 10 reps even on the first set.

    Any of you have recommendations?

    submitted by /u/ThrowRA20192019
    [link] [comments]

    Physique Phriday

    Posted: 08 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Physique Phriday thread

    What's the point of having people guess your body fat? Nevermind that it's the most inaccurate method available, (read: most likely way wrong - see here) you're still just putting an arbitrary number to the body you have. Despite people's claim that they are shooting for a number, they're really shooting for look - like a six pack.

    So let's stopping mucking around with trivialities and get to the heart of the matter. This thread shall serve two purposes:

    1. Physique critiques. Post some pics and ask about muscles or body parts you need to work on. Or specifically ask about a lagging body part and what exercises worked for others.
    2. An outlet for people that want to show off their efforts that would otherwise be removed due to Rule 4, and

    Let's keep things civil, don't be a creep, and adhere to Rule 1. This isn't a thread to announce what you find attractive in a mate. Please use the report function for any comments that are out of line.

    So phittit, what's your physique pheel like this phriday?

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Injury prevention

    Posted: 08 May 2020 02:49 AM PDT

    How do you guys prevent too much strain on your joints (knees in particular)? I don't want to do any long term damage to them.

    Good posture and form is a must of course, but I wondered if anyone had any further tips

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/pag32
    [link] [comments]

    are there any pictures or posts about people who became atleast decent looking after they started with narrow shoulders and wide hips ?

    Posted: 08 May 2020 04:49 AM PDT

    Seriously,i hate my genetics.I have wide hips and narrow shoulders and a big ass. Right now i have shit ton of body fat but even when i was skinnier i looked awful. I fucked around with gyms these few years but nothing strict so i know that i cant say anything but still is there any chance for me to look decent? Im 6,3 so even that fucks me over because i have to eat shit ton of food to gain weight but im afraid to do that because i have alot of bodyfat. Look at these pictures ,its just depressing to look at them when my hips are almost in line with my fucking shoulders.. https://imgur.com/a/TCfny4N

    submitted by /u/abcddcb
    [link] [comments]

    Monthly Apps, Gadgets and Gear Megathread!

    Posted: 04 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Monthly Apps, Gadgets and Gear Megathread!

    This thread is for sharing fitness related apps, technological gadgets, and training gear that you've found helpful for your fitness goals.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Hypertrophy training makes me exhausted. Should I do it more often?

    Posted: 05 May 2020 01:05 PM PDT

    Since I've started lifting weights I've been doing mostly strength-oriented training with reps between 6-8 (usually closer to 6). My strength was going up on every workout so I thought it's fine. But last time I've decided to try to go for higher reps 10-12 with a lower weight. I was surprised to find out that I'm absolutely exhausted after doing just a few sets (breathing like after running a couple of miles).

    So here's my question: would I benefit more from switching completely to hypertrophy training? Or should I just do both the strength and hypertrophy workouts? My goal is not the strength - I just want to put on as much muscle mass as possible during a bulk.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/OneContribution1
    [link] [comments]

    Is it okay to skip a day?

    Posted: 05 May 2020 05:44 PM PDT

    I've googled this repeatedly and I can't find a concrete answer. I did my workouts yesterday except for my night one. I usually do one in the morning, some sort of activity in the afternoon and one at night. Today I did my morning one and feel sore and like crap to be honest, is it okay to skip my afternoon and night one, and I was thinking of just doing some light workouts tonight as a replacement. Overall I just want to know if it's okay, and I'm mainly worried because every couple or few days I won't do my night one and it makes me upset at myself.

    submitted by /u/brj5_yt
    [link] [comments]

    Issues Keeping Lower Back Engaged on Chest and Back Workouts

    Posted: 04 May 2020 10:08 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    To make a long story short, I broke my collarbone 8 years ago and had a plate surgically slapped on. I didn't go to physical therapy/rehab and this lead to me developing bad lifting form that slowly devolved into causing mean really bad shoulder issues. I ended up going to PT for the first time a few months ago. I had pretty much totally morphed my back musculature into a non-functional system. Support muscles had completely atrophied and my traps had largely taken over the bulk of my back support.

    PT helped me fix my form issues and strengthened my rotator cuffs, and then they sent me off since things were improving. However, I just kept stalling out on bench and back workouts still didn't feel right. Through trial and error, I've discovered that the majority of my issues stem from my lower back, particularly on my left side, not engaging on any lifts. I've started mentally engaging it in my back lifts, but I just can't get it to work on chest.

    Are there any particular movements that I can do at home to help me engage my back when doing chest lifts? Or should I merely focus on strengthening my lower back? I've been doing birddogs for about two weeks now, and while I can tell my back is getting stronger, it still isn't kicking in on bench. I'm pretty limited with what I can do at home, as all I have is a custom-made bench for bench press and an assortment of dumbbells.

    submitted by /u/boywonder200
    [link] [comments]

    Moronic Monday - Your weekly stupid questions thread

    Posted: 04 May 2020 12:52 AM PDT

    Get your dunce hats out, Fittit, it's time for your weekly Stupid Questions Thread.

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Many questions get submitted late each week that don't get a lot of action, so if your question didn't get answered before, feel free to post it again.

    As always, be sure to read the FAQ first.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness".

    Be sure to check back often as questions get posted throughout the day. Lastly, it may be a good idea to sort comments by "new" to be sure the newer questions get some love as well. Click here to sort by new in this thread only.

    So, what's rattling around in your brain this week, Fittit?


    As per this thread, the community has asked that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Moronic Monday thread. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.

    submitted by /u/cdingo
    [link] [comments]

    Confused On How to Position My Shoulders For Back/Chest Exercises.

    Posted: 04 May 2020 01:17 AM PDT

    If I take flat dumbbell press for example do I focus on pulling/dropping my shoulders back and then pinching them together or so i tense them up closer to my head?

    Same goes for back exercises, for example any type of rows, do I need to drop my shoulders down or keep my traps tensed therefore shoulders higher?

    submitted by /u/WhatACarrickter
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment