• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 3, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 03, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 03, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 03, 2020

    Posted: 03 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Are weighted dips as effective as the bench press?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 09:11 PM PDT

    Obviously with gyms closed most people don't have access to a classic bench press. Would a set of dip bars and dip belt/weights be a viable replacement, using a weight that keeps you in the 8-12 rep range?

    submitted by /u/Fielding_H_Yost
    [link] [comments]

    34F, Am I too late?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 10:12 PM PDT

    I'm 34 and at least 40 pounds overweight. I don't even recognize myself anymore. I know that so can lose weight and tone up at my age, but I want to set realistic goals. I haven't tried since my 20s, and I fear that I'll never be attractive again at this age.

    submitted by /u/LinaZou
    [link] [comments]

    How effective are deadhangs?

    Posted: 03 May 2020 02:13 AM PDT

    Recently, I've been doing deadhangs on a pull-up bar for fun at the end of workouts. I simply grip the pull-up bar, relax, hang, and wait. Is there any real use to this workout other than possibly grip training? I've just been focusing on steadily increasing time, and right now currently at one minute.

    submitted by /u/brytahea
    [link] [comments]

    Victory Sunday

    Posted: 03 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Victory Sunday Thread

    It is Sunday, 6:00 am here in the eastern half of Hyder, Alaska. It's time to ask yourself: What was the one, best thing you did on behalf of your fitness this week? What was your Fitness Victory?

    We want to hear about it!

    So let's hear your fitness Victory this week! Don't forget to upvote your favorite Victories!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    5/3/1 Upper BBB Lower FSL or 6x8 for both

    Posted: 03 May 2020 12:32 AM PDT

    Hey folks,

    As you can see from the title, I'm having trouble with 5x10 on lower days and it doesn't matter if I use 50 or 60% for BBB. My form breaks on the last two reps, but everything is fine on the first 8 reps. Don't have these issues with the bench and press. Also, I do descending percentages on the deadlift since it is very taxing, yet still it is, I'm fried for the next two days after the DL. Never had these issues while doing SS 3x5 or even 5x5. I'm still a novice.

    submitted by /u/PenSurfer
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with begginning my fitness journey

    Posted: 03 May 2020 02:27 AM PDT

    I'm 17 year old male, 6'8" (203cm) / 207lbs (94 kg). I train basketball for a very very long time (12 years or so) but I plan on giving up because my knees are too bad and switch to fitness. I was really a promising player and everyone still thinks I'll go pro, but after a few devastating injuries and me being an A+ student, I made a decision to quit soon. Right now I still have 2 practices a day (top-tier athletes have started to train in my country) so I can maybe do some cutting before gyms open (I'm waiting for it). However, I think that I am skinny fat so idk if I should cut or bulk (pretty much only fat I have is on my stomach and it simply won't go away). I think that my diet is pretty good (no sugars, no bread, high protein) but only downside is that I tend to eat large portions of food really late (11pm or so) - idk if that is a problem. Furthermore, I gain and lose weight quick and pretty easily but I'm not really satisfied with way I do it because it seems like I only lose mucles when cutting or getting fat when bulking.

    Furthermore, I'm wondering which routine will be the best for me? I'm planning to hit the gym 3-5 times a week (maybe 3× weight lifting + some cardio and mobility work - but I can change it if it will be worth it). When I was injured my team hired me a personal coach with whom I trained with for ~2 years so I'm kinda familiar with exercises (If you need numbers I think I did 70kg bench max, 120kg dead lift max and 100kg squat max). Any futher advice or motivation will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/kv2408
    [link] [comments]

    100 press-ups per day. Am I doing something wrong?

    Posted: 03 May 2020 01:08 AM PDT

    18 y/o 5"8' 125lbs

    Main sports: running and swimming

    So I've been doing over 100 good form press-ups every day now for about a year. I've mainly been doing them in 4 sets of 25 throughout the day. A year ago managed to do about 25 without stopping. But now 25 is still my max in one set. I was expecting much more by this point, something in the range of 40-50 in one set.

    Am I doing something wrong? Is my diet to blame? Are my expectations too high?

    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/deffonotmypassword
    [link] [comments]

    Need a cardio routine that isn't based on hip-hinge exercises

    Posted: 03 May 2020 03:54 AM PDT

    Hi everybody

    I was recently diagnosed with a high hamstring tendinopathy, and am looking for different exercises that I can use for a cardio-routine at home. I have searched the internet and youtube, and the majority of routines include exercises that can strain my injury.

    At the moment, I need to avoid exercises based on the hip hinge: Squats, Kettlebell swings, Burpees.

    So far I've been using: Mountain climbers, Bear walks, Glute bridges

    I have a 2 dumbbells, 1 kettlebell and a TRX at home.

    Any input will be highly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/trazom
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with using this machine

    Posted: 03 May 2020 03:40 AM PDT

    Hello, I've recently moved into a new home, and the ex homeowners left behind this fitness machine thing. I have no idea how to use it, I've managed to find the model on amazon but no videos showing of the machine. Can anyone help? This is the machine in question https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stamm-Bodyfit-Power-Up-Grey/dp/B0042VJWZC

    submitted by /u/kill4mud
    [link] [comments]

    Quarterly Protein Megathread!

    Posted: 03 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Quarterly Protein Megathread

    This thread is for sharing your favorite brands of protein, whether it be because they're delicious, cheap, high quality, or gave you great service.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Best machine for cardio

    Posted: 03 May 2020 02:14 AM PDT

    Hello , I used to play hockey and football so there was my cardio and I worked out weights in the gym 4 days a week so I was pretty fit , but I fucked my knee up so I had to stop and now im 25 and overweight, looking for good cardio that won't be too hard on my knee. I know a treadmill is out of the question , so do you guys think a rower is a good idea? And if so , which one would you recommend me , thanks and hope you can help me .

    submitted by /u/Phylosophik
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a solid shoulder workout with limited equipment

    Posted: 02 May 2020 10:14 PM PDT

    Hi Everyone

    I've got 2 5kg dumbells and some assorted resistance bands, what are some good exercises I can do with them? I'm an almost total begginner just trying to 'fill myself out' a bit after a lot of cycling and running.

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/straynj
    [link] [comments]

    How do i maintain my bench press and other lifts now where i have switched to olympic weightlifting?

    Posted: 03 May 2020 12:10 AM PDT

    I have been training for almost 3 years. In that time period i have built a decent bench and some good arms too. Now i have switched to olympic weightlifting, and you nearly only train shoulders and legs in that sport. I would like to maintain the gains i have made through the years. Would once a week be enough to maintain the gains? Or is it too little and will my strength detoriate a little?

    Thank you for reading.

    Edit: Will benching put alot of strain on my shoulders since i'm gonna OHP alot?

    submitted by /u/WillyWankar1
    [link] [comments]

    What will you be doing differently to not get sick when gyms open back up?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 11:51 PM PDT

    Of course we're all already wiping down equipment and washing our hands after workouts, but what else will you be doing to stay extra safe after things start back up? I'm thinking a pair of workout gloves would be a smart place to start.

    submitted by /u/The_Apex_Predditor
    [link] [comments]

    Best cardio workouts and how to measure

    Posted: 02 May 2020 11:28 PM PDT

    Hey guys

    I'm preparing for a firefighters physical testing circuit that is part of the application process (should I get to that stage), I made it through last year fine but cardio was my biggest issue so I want to go in a little more prepared this year. I've recently gotten an exercise bike as I don't enjoy running, and was wondering what the best kind of routine to follow to best improve cardiovascular endurance? Cycling for 25-30 minutes seems like a good place to start, and potentially adding time, intensity and resistance in the lead up to the testing. Also wondering if there's a way to take a measure of your cardio endurance at home? I know it can be done with vo2max testing and such in labs but just anything simple to see for myself if my work is making a difference or not?

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/Cooperdyl
    [link] [comments]

    How much have you loaded on a 1inch barbell?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 10:38 PM PDT

    Currently have a 6ft solid 1" 15lb bar. It's rated for up to 250lbs. Just wondering what the real limit is, and if anyone has loaded past 250lb There are 3 price bars with the hollow center which holds less weight so that's not what I wanted.

    The only weight I'd need past 225 is for deadlifts. Already invested too much to go switch to a 2" bar, so I'll stick with the 1"

    submitted by /u/pglggrg
    [link] [comments]

    Getting back to the grind

    Posted: 02 May 2020 10:35 PM PDT

    So I have been off the gym for a long time now and want to get back to grinding it out. Any recommended routine to get my body and mindset back into gym mode? Any tip would help

    submitted by /u/axelfist0915
    [link] [comments]

    Once a week low reps twice a week high reps?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 08:50 PM PDT

    24 male here. I have been weightlifting for a while but not often enough so I would still consider myself a beginer, and I want a more consistant routine. I have 22 pound dumbells at home and do bodyweight/ higher rep workouts there. I am living in Korea, and there is a full outdoor gym I like to go to once a week on the weekend since it is not next to my house. My question is, would it make sense to do once a week more intense heavy workouts there since they have all the equipment, and twice a week bodyweight/higher rep workouts at home?

    submitted by /u/Trapdamouse
    [link] [comments]

    Combining Insanity and Body Beast 3 days in a row?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 07:42 PM PDT

    Reading reviews and looks like I'd like to incorporate building muscle into the Insanity routine.

    I see hybrids... but is there anything wrong with doing 3 days of Insanity, taking a rest day and then doing 3 days of Body Beast?

    I see hybrids that switch it every day so was just curious what people here thought.

    I'm skinny fat but at 16-17% body fat and on the verge of being a "little" bit too skinny so was hoping to add some muscle. I'd say the only issue fat wise is that I don't have a legit 6 pack and have a slight beer belly.

    submitted by /u/MaverickCarter
    [link] [comments]

    Which exercises should I do to improve my monofin (dolphin) swimming?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    I don't know if this is the correct sub but anyway, I'm trying to get back in shape. Is there any gym training regimen thing that involves the monofin swimstyle to a high degree?

    The girls in the gym place had no experience and couldn't recommend anything specific.

    Maby static training or resistance (rubber band) exercise is popular?

    submitted by /u/silverback_79
    [link] [comments]

    5x5 programming as a percentage of one rep max

    Posted: 02 May 2020 02:28 PM PDT

    If you were doing a program that included 5x5s of the big compounds followed by a fairly standard slate of accessories, how would you program the weight you use to do the 5x5s? 80% of my one rep max feels a bit too light, but 90% too heavy.

    submitted by /u/ron_ass
    [link] [comments]

    Water fasting for 2 days

    Posted: 02 May 2020 10:47 PM PDT

    I've never tried it, but I'm looking into doing a 2 day water fast. The main goal is to lose fat, as I'm currently skinny fat. What are the pros and cons of water fasting? Any important info?

    submitted by /u/namejefffiy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment