• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 2, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 02, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 02, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 02, 2020

    Posted: 02 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    The effect of contraceptives on fitness

    Posted: 02 May 2020 01:59 AM PDT

    Hi there. So until 1st April I was on contraception for 10 years. Now I'm off it I've noticed changes in my body especially weight loss. When I was losing weight earlier this year I found it extremely hard. I was calorie/macro counting on an average of 1400 calories and working out hard in the gym. Took me 8 weeks to lose 3lbs. Had a weigh in and in 9 days I lost 3 lbs. curious to see if I can lose anymore (even if it's a lb a week)

    I was curious to see if anyone else has seen changes being on or off the pill?

    submitted by /u/nessac93
    [link] [comments]

    Gym Story Saturday

    Posted: 02 May 2020 02:39 AM PDT

    Hi! Welcome to your weekly thread where you can share your gymless tales!

    submitted by /u/FGC_Valhalla
    [link] [comments]

    5/3/1 on Keto? (Can't quit Keto)

    Posted: 02 May 2020 02:19 AM PDT

    32, Male, 5'10", 200lbs

    I've had bad acid reflux issues for years and have tried every medicine I can get my hands on to no relief. Omeprazole, apple cider vinegar, you name it. Caused me to almost eliminate alcohol entirely and try many diets to help it.

    Then, I tried Keto, assuming it was a fad.

    A year later on Keto, this is the best it has been in years. Still not great, but overall quality of life has been raised significantly because of how much Keto has helped my reflux. Bread, rice, all carbs seem to irritate my esophagus and later come back up. (I don't have a gluten allergy)

    Its been the only thing that has helped with my reflux. I don't want to get the surgery, because the band they put around your esophagus to keep food down prevents you from lifting heavy cause you can pop the band off.

    So, with all that in mind, I want to do 5/3/1 after a couple year hiatus from working out regularly.

    Got the book and he preaches carbs. Can't do carbs or my reflux returns.

    Is there any modifications to that plan I should make with carbs not being an option?

    submitted by /u/Pearcenator
    [link] [comments]

    Got my first pair of gymnastics rings today, and found while doing dips on rings it causes pain on my sternum.

    Posted: 02 May 2020 12:47 AM PDT

    I've been doing dips on parallette bars for about a month now and I'm pretty confident on doing them. I don't have an an insane amount of pushing strength, but I can confidently do them on paralettes.

    I usually do 3 sets of 4-5 reps on the parallettes, and found on the rings my max was 3 on the first set. On the second set, I attempted to do 3 again and found my sternum felt like it was being imploded on. Should I hold off on doing ring dips until I increase my parallette dip strength first? Or is it okay to continue on with ring dips?

    The pain isn't from my muscles, it's definitely the sternum bone. If I apply pressure to the sternum right now it still hurts, but only if I apply pressure to it.

    submitted by /u/Bacon8or777
    [link] [comments]

    Shoulders

    Posted: 02 May 2020 05:50 AM PDT

    Hi all, I'm a 24 year old woman and I absolutely hate my shoulders :( for ref, I'm 5'9 and 75 kgs. I'm trying to lose weight at the moment and while I've seen results in my stomach and legs, my arms and shoulders remain so bulky and I'm scared that the workouts I'm doing are exacerbating this (normally f45 in the studio, during quarantine I'm doing f45 home workouts). Does anyone have any tips? Is there a reason why my shoulders are slanted/arched up to my neck instead of sitting straight? It looks like I'm a bulky bodybuilder and I really really want a smaller frame :(

    submitted by /u/Fluffy-Tangerine
    [link] [comments]

    Roka Glasses Experience?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 05:44 AM PDT

    Hi! I'm thinking about getting a pair of Roka glasses to workout in. I have HORRIBLE vision and a lot of days, I put contacts in just because I'm going to workout for an hour. I have to use dailies, and they're super expensive, so it'd be nice to not have to worry about "wasting" a pair just for a workout.

    I don't like running/working out with the straps that hold glasses on because they still kind of bounce around even when they're on tight. Anyone have experience with Roka? Do they slide around at all? My prescription is pretty high so I'm worried the weight would be too much.

    submitted by /u/seehunde
    [link] [comments]

    Started Insanity but I have zero rythm

    Posted: 02 May 2020 05:40 AM PDT

    I (F16) have been in a decent shape for my whole life (basketball team, parkour/gymnastics, decent grades in PE) However, i have been really out of shape for the past year or so after stopping my activities (no reason in particular) and quarantine just made things worse, so i decided to start making good use of my time and started insanity. The fit test was a terrible punch in the face. I had ZERO rhythm. ZERO coordination. My muscles didn't feel like they were really flexing properly, they felt so limp, and I was constantly feeling like I wasn't doing the moves properly. I felt incredibly weak and my results were terrible. Does anyone have any advice for me? Feeling really down after my first workout. It was definitely a huge wake up call.

    submitted by /u/wamen_respekter69
    [link] [comments]

    Strange wheezing sound from doing side to side planks

    Posted: 02 May 2020 05:37 AM PDT

    I was doing side to side planks and a weird wheezing like sound was coming out of my throat while i was doing it i do not know why it wasn't painful or uncomfortable does anyone know about it?

    submitted by /u/UnstableBridge
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone tried the deep squat hold for 10 minutes?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 05:22 AM PDT

    Ok so I just did this, and around the 8 minute mark i was starting to really find it difficult. Made it to the end tho and after I could barley get up! Had to walk a few laps around the gym to feel normal again.

    What you do is get into a deep squat and hold that position for 10 minutes, sort of like what a kid would do if they're chilling, and this is meant to help expose weak points that could be hindering squat progress or causing injuries and soreness.

    I found I have a lot of tightness in my groin and adductors as this is where all the tension was and where I found it difficult. I wasn't sure to just hold the pose or to really try and push my legs out to open up my hips while down in the deep squat, either way it was a great stretch. I have a bad left knee that I'm working on at the moment and it was fine through all this. I feel my ankles are a bit tight too as I really had to lean forward to get all pression equal on my foot.

    Will be doing this once a week I think to see how things progress

    Anyone tried this?

    submitted by /u/5eurokebabmeal
    [link] [comments]

    Sore/Painful Coccyx?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 04:58 AM PDT

    So i've lost a lot of weight over the past 7-8 months (about 80lb/37kg), mostly through cutting carbs from my diet, cutting down to just two fairly big meals a day, drinking less and doing 30 minutes of low intensity cardio religiously every day.

    A side effect which has developed is that my coccyx (tailbone) is basically permanently sore, like an irritating pain rather than anything serious. Even when i'm sat on a sofa, lying down or standing up its always there in the background and its starting to get annoying. At first i attributed it to being because i was so heavy when i started that my body was soft and wasn't conditioned to be exercising but now after 7-8 months i would have expected that to go away.

    Is this a common side effect of losing so much weight over a fairly short period? is it because my equipment isn't providing enough support/padding? is it because i have poor posture when i use the machine? I mostly use a rowing machine but it doesn't nessecarily hurt more when i'm using it

    submitted by /u/WolvoNeil
    [link] [comments]

    Wondering how to properly do a Upper/Lower Split in my lifting program

    Posted: 02 May 2020 04:52 AM PDT

    I have been making myself lifting programs for strength gains, mainly all centered around lifts involving multiple sets at low reps, all with heavy Dumbell or barbell weight.

    My issue has been that when I first made my program I had a 6 days per week cycle (2xpush motions upper body, lower body, pull motions upper body). However 6 days per week became too time consuming as I am a 3rd year finance undergrad student. I decided I would be able to do 4 days per week, with days split just by upper and lower body

    The 2 lower body workouts per week involving compound lifts should be enough, however I was wondering that with only 2 upper body days per week, if I should still split my upper body days by push and pull motions to target specific muscle groups in the upper body once per week, or if this is not enough and 2 comprehensive upper body workouts would be more beneficial so all my upper body muscles are also broken down twice a week. And if so how do I make it less time consuming to hit every upper body muscle group in one workout in a reasonable time

    submitted by /u/asemchenko81
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to gain this much weight?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 04:45 AM PDT

    Hi, im trying to figure out how much calories i need to eat for gaining about 30kg in about 2 years of time? Im 15 years old my weight currently is 61 kg 178cm tall and im in around 10% body fat range i would say. I train 6-7 times a week 1.5-2.5hours a day cardio, lifting and boxing. Im aiming for getting into heavyweight class in boxing. i eat about 1800-2500 calories a day right now ive been training like this for about 6-7 months. My body has mostly recomping

    submitted by /u/Damme05
    [link] [comments]

    Decided to start drinking only water yet I feel way tired than before?

    Posted: 02 May 2020 04:00 AM PDT

    I started only drinking water about a week and a half ago. I drink about 64 oz a day and ever since then I have experienced major fatigue randomly. I have not changed what I eat or do daily. This hasn't started until after I started drinking only water. Any ideas why?

    submitted by /u/sonderiy
    [link] [comments]

    Self-Promotion Saturday

    Posted: 02 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to Self-Promotion Saturday

    This thread will serve as a weekly AutoModerator post, for anyone looking to get exposure for their Instagram, Youtube, blogspot, RedditMade, Kickstarter, TeeSpring, MySpace, AOL, stand-alone website, or stand-alone physical product.

    This post is the one time where people can advertise without repercussions, and the one thread when anything goes. All other advertisements will continue to be removed as per Rule #8.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Do YouTube bodyweight routines actually do anything?

    Posted: 01 May 2020 01:08 PM PDT

    18F and 117 lbs, i decided to try and improve my fitness level during quarantine. I'm already running 30 mi/week minimum and eating healthier, so right now I'm trying to focus on improving my muscle definition.

    You see all these fitness Youtubers like Blogilates, Chloe Ting, Pamela Reif, etc pushing these 10-15 minute bodyweight routines. They seem to be very popular especially among women and teen girls but I have no idea if they are actually effective.

    Obviously any type of exercise won't hurt, but will these actually build muscle or change your appearance any? I'm at home and I only have resistance bands and the internet at my disposal equipment-wise, so I'm looking for effective ways to develop my physique and I'm just skeptical of the claim that 10 min/day of basically crunches and planks will tone your abs or that 100 donkey kicks and glute bridges will grow your glutes.

    submitted by /u/100percenthomo
    [link] [comments]

    Can't work out due to the lockdown

    Posted: 02 May 2020 02:04 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    My gym's closed, and I live in an extremely small shoebox apartment with several other people. I'm quarantined for a month already, and have another month to go.

    Body weight fitness requiring a lot of space is kinda out of the picture. For example, I can't really do proper jumping jacks without hitting something, or someone downstairs complaining. I've been doing push ups, squats and sit-ups regularly, but should I even bother? Should I just be sedentary until the gyms reopen?

    Edit: Thanks for the recommendations. I would love to go running but I currently live in a medium sized town in a developing country. There aren't many pavements to jog on, and the parks are closed.

    submitted by /u/uqqu
    [link] [comments]

    Increasing calories

    Posted: 01 May 2020 11:20 PM PDT

    Hi, I was hoping someone could help me out because I cannot find the answer to this question anywhere.

    Here are my stats:

    17 years old

    5'5"

    131 lbs

    Female

    I've been dieting hard for the past while, trying to get down to 15% body fat but ended up only getting to 19% off of 800 calories a day before gaining weight due to the whole "starvation mode".

    Now I've given up on getting super shredded, I'm still strength training 5-6 times a week, cardio 3 days, but all I want is to get back up to at least my BMR (1,360) because I can tell my body is dangerously low on calories.

    Any advice on how to increase calories with minimal weight gain? I'm okay with gaining 5-10 lbs if need be, it's my fault for dieting so hard lol.

    submitted by /u/ftxale
    [link] [comments]

    Hyperbaric chambers and distance running

    Posted: 01 May 2020 06:17 PM PDT

    I'm a high school junior running XC and track. I have access to a hyperbaric chamber and I've been reading up on it. I know it can reduce your recovery time/help heal injuries. I've also heard that it can improve your overall performance.

    If I was to use it, how would I go about it? Would I do it after every run? and would using it make more double runs in a day possible?

    I've looked all over for information on this and I can only find what the chambers supposedly do for an athlete, no info on how to properly use them. So please if u have any experience with hyperbaric chambers help me out.

    submitted by /u/CrocHoles
    [link] [comments]

    Different training zones interval types or lengths?

    Posted: 01 May 2020 03:06 PM PDT

    So I've been reading for the last months about training zones and how to use them. But haven't really sticked to them. Just getting data around my workouts but following pacing. Mostly because I wanted to get an effort test to really know my top hr, but haven't been able to.

    I've got a Garmin watch who calculated my zones following the partitioning of 50/60/70/80/90% zones.

    Recently, an experienced friend gave me a different set of zones based on my resting HR and my age (25). They seemed very off from my previous so I wrote them down to find some kind of relation between them.

    You can see more detail on this image but as the two right-most columns say, the intervals seem equally spread from Z1 through Z5, just a little more narrow.

    e.g. Using a max HR of 195, old Z3 spans 137-156bpm (70-80%) with the interval length of 19bpm (156-137) but, new Z3 spans 154-167bpm (79%-86%) with the interval length of 13 (167-154).

    Questions are:

    1. Is there some source that describes that Z1 should start from 50% or that it may start from 64% to achieve different objectives?
    2. Is the effort test really required to get my zones accurate? Or is the good ol' 220-age formula enough?
    submitted by /u/Hackerdude
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment