• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 17, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 17, 2020

    Beginner Fitness: Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 17, 2020


    Daily Simple Questions Thread - May 17, 2020

    Posted: 17 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/Fitness Daily Simple Questions Thread - Our daily thread to ask about all things fitness. Post your questions here related to your diet and nutrition or your training routine and exercises. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer.

    As always, be sure to read the wiki first. Like, all of it.

    Also, there's a handy-dandy search bar to your right, and if you didn't know, you can also use Google to search fittit by using the limiter "site:reddit.com/r/fitness" after your search topic.

    Other good resources to search are Exrx.net for exercise-related topics and Examine.com for nutrition and supplement science.

    Be aware that the more relevant information you add, the more relevant the answers you receive will be. And if you are posting about your routine, please make sure you follow the guidelines.

    (Please note: This is not a place for general small talk or chit-chat. Also, the community decided long ago that we keep jokes, trolling, and memes outside of the Daily Q&A threads. Please use the downvote / report button when necessary.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to increase likelihood of actually feeling endorphins from exercise?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 05:15 PM PDT

    TL;DR: Do I have to get my heart rate to a certain range for a certain period of time? Do the endorphins only hit you after months of effort? (I've admittedly not stuck with regular exercise more than a month at a time). Do I just have to except that I'll never be a member of the exercise-makes-you-high club? Please, anyone who does feel endorphins, can you be more specific about when/how they kick in? Does it actually feel like a literal "high"--comparable to a drug? Is there a supplement I can take to make it more likely?

    I'm sorry if this post sounds whiny as hell but I don't know where else to ask this.

    This isn't exactly about hating exercise--I know it's not *always* going to be enjoyable and no one feels an "endorphin rush" every time they do it. At 33 I'm old enough to appreciate that sometimes you just have to do boring shit you don't want to do.

    My problem, and why I've developed this complex that there's something either wrong with me or wrong with my technique, is that I have never, ever, EVER, even once in my life, felt any kind of "high" from physical activity.

    The best case is I do it and think, "Meh, cool, that was a thing I did." But the worst case is I'm completely exhausted with serious brain fog and I'm useless the rest of the day. (Seriously, how people wake up at 5 am and exercise and THEN go to work just completely baffles me). I could obviously stick to working out in the evenings, but my main hobby is writing and with a full time day job evenings are the only time I have to do it, so I'd rather not spend them in as an exhausted blob.

    I realize there are other reasons besides mood lift that people exercise, but in my case I do not need to lose weight. I never have. I'm one of those lucky people who've been naturally skinny my whole life. I'm also not interested in body building, or even in how my body looks, so I don't have those as motivators. In fact, I can't come up with any concrete goals I want to work towards.

    The only reason I'm concerned with exercise at all is because I'm a nurse so I'm well aware of all the supposed reasons I should do it, and cardiovascular disease does run in my family, and my resting heart rate has always been in the 90s, which I know isn't great. I thought lowering my RHR could be a goal, but given that I'm not feeling any ill effects from it, it doesn't feel motivating enough.

    I do have dysthymia/mild depression. I haven't been on meds for a almost a decade, but this no-endorphin problem happened even when I was. And when you're depressed everyone and their mother wants to sell you on exercise like it's a fucking miracle drug. But then when I do exercise and feel only neutral to negative effects I end up feeling even worse. I've tried almost every exercise under the sun: running, walking, biking, calisthenics, weight-lifting, yoga, pilates, swimming, tennis, softball, volleyball....none of it makes me feel significantly positive after doing it. And when I hear everyone blindly say "ExRciSe MaKeS yOu FeEl SO GOOD!!" I just want to cry, because it feels like I'm looking through the window at this amazing house party that I can't get to because I'm locked out. I want that feeling too, damnit. I want to want to exercise. Sigh...Thanks for reading.

    ETA: Ok wow this blew up! Thanks everyone who had words of encouragement. To clear some things up I'm female, 5'3, and 117lbs. Never been anorexic, and I don't have any special diet restrictions, although I never eat fast food or drink soda. My worst sugar offense most days is the one cup of coffee in the morning, though I use coconut sugar if that counts for something. Don't smoke or drink alcohol. My diet is...ok I think. I could use more vegetables and definitely am shit about drinking water.

    Fuck idk why but I almost never feel thirsty unless I've just had a really salty meal. I live in my head a lot and will legit forget to drink anything until dinner. I also don't have a great appetite in the morning so I skip breakfast. I have coffee with cream and coconut sugar and then not usually anything until lunch. But I do eat when I'm hungry. I've just never had to do anything different with my diet and I'm kind of a picky eater historically. I don't have a gallbladder so keto sounds terrible to me. I've tried other low carb stuff but I just feel hungry again an hour later, even with protein, because carbs are what keep me full without the nausea I get from too much fat.

    Anyway, I appreciate all your suggestions. I'm definitely gonna try and up my water game. I figured exercise highs weren't comparable to actual drugs, but the way some exercise enthusiasts spoke about it made me wonder. I'm trying to focus more on all the logical reasons for exercise, just trusting that the enormous amounts of scientific evidence in support of it aren't total bullshit, even if my experience feels different than some. My mom has been living with us since the quarantine, and she's a HUGE fitness freak and her 10k steps a day at 63 years old finally made me feel shitty enough to start moving. She's a great coach and I'm going to keep trying till I find something that will stick even after she leaves.

    submitted by /u/withinyouwithoutyou3
    [link] [comments]

    I found out that I have a mild deformity, and I feel like my fitness dreams are dead. Any advice for coping?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 10:48 PM PDT

    I'm a 27 year old guy. I was fat and weak for most of my life, but after a lot of struggling I've lost 100 pounds over the past 4 years to get down to 180. I'm finally at a healthy weight, and I'm proud of that. But unfortunately, I still hate the way I look. I have a lot of loose skin, and I'm not very muscular. My plan was to increase my calories and focus on building muscle once I reached my goal weight, but when my body fat percentage went down, a muscular deformity I wasn't aware of before became noticeable.

    My pecs don't originate from my sternum like they should. Instead, they originate from the middle of my rib cage, leaving a large space between them. From what I've been able to tell, it's referred to as a "pec gap." A lot of people have one to some extent, but mine is enormous, about a hand's breadth wide at least. For an idea of what I'm talking about, my chest looks similar to the wrestler Kofi Kingston's.

    I've been crushed for the past month or so since I noticed it. I know there are people out there with more disabling deformities, but I've always wanted a good looking chest- it's the reason I got into fitness in the first place. After so many years of work, it suddenly feels pointless. I'm in a very stressful academic program at the moment, and pursuing fitness was the major method I was using to deal with stress. Now I feel like it's been poisoned.

    Does anybody else out there have this? Were you able to find some way to be happy with yourself? If so, how? I'd love to know, because I'm in a really bad place right now.

    submitted by /u/Frownkie
    [link] [comments]

    Victory Sunday

    Posted: 17 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Victory Sunday Thread

    It is Sunday, 6:00 am here in the eastern half of Hyder, Alaska. It's time to ask yourself: What was the one, best thing you did on behalf of your fitness this week? What was your Fitness Victory?

    We want to hear about it!

    So let's hear your fitness Victory this week! Don't forget to upvote your favorite Victories!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Am I going to lose all my gains?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 01:23 AM PDT

    It's been 2 months since I haven't worked out, had just gotten back into it after recovering from injury and reached my previous height before the lockdown happened. I haven't been able to do proper strength exercises. It feels like I've lost all strength and muscle. If this carries for a few months more which it most likely will, would I lose what remains? From the UK btw.

    submitted by /u/speedsterone
    [link] [comments]

    Need some help for a PT test

    Posted: 16 May 2020 11:41 PM PDT

    Hello everybody!

    So I've got a PT test coming up, pushups and sit-ups I'm ok with but the first thing is a 1.5 mile run in less than 15 minutes. Now I know for some of you that's a piece of cake, but running has always been my kryptonite. I've been running everyday and have actually gotten my time down from 23 minutes to 13 and a half minutes so I'm very proud of that; however, it is a STRUGGLE. The last half mile is literally me convincing myself not to drop dead the whole way and typically I feel pretty fatigued by the end of the first mile. So it makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if my technique is off because truth be told I don't know what good running technique is or how to run ant further than that.

    Any tips from you experienced runners out there on how to not be totally spent at the end and conserve some energy while I'm running?

    submitted by /u/Hunter_x1
    [link] [comments]

    Quarterly Book, Blog and Podcast Megathread!

    Posted: 17 May 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Welcome to the Quarterly Book, Blog and Podcast Megathread!

    This thread is for sharing fitness related books, blogs and podcasts that you enjoy, or taught you something useful about fitness.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Losing fitness or impact of overexercising?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 11:13 AM PDT

    Lockdown has forced me to reduce my daily exercise regime and I'm confused by my body's signals.

    Pre-lockdown, I craved hard workouts daily. I've always been an athlete and was consistently doing high intensity workouts. I was very strong, but I used exercise to deal with anxiety. I pushed myself hard daily with running or lifting and rarely took a rest day. Early this year I lost some weight due to some family stress. Though a bit weaker, I didn't change my workout regime.

    Since lockdown I've reduced working out from 1-2 hours daily to 30 min. My body feels completely out of whack. Foremost I've found after cutting exercise down, my body feels *way more tired* than last year. I can't manage the intense workouts I did last year physically (4-5 miles used to be easy, now my legs are dead tired after 15 minutes). My muscles feel weak, and I'm struggling to push through the resistance.

    I am confused whether this is A) losing fitness --> hence need to be more discplined with training and get back to a level of strength

    B) my body is finally feeling the impact of built up overexercise --> if this, how do I address?

    submitted by /u/Cheekachar
    [link] [comments]

    Calluses

    Posted: 16 May 2020 09:48 PM PDT

    I've got a pretty rudimentary home gym (weights, pull-up bar, stationary bike) and I'm suffering from the calluses on my hands. They seem to have formed from use of my pull-up bar. Only one of them hurts when I apply pressure to it, the rest are just fine. Should I grind through the pain when I do my exercise, or should I treat the callus? Going forward should I change my pull-up form to put less pressure on my fingers?

    submitted by /u/Demorosy
    [link] [comments]

    What am I missing?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 03:17 AM PDT

    I eat at around 1000 - 1500 calories a day and worked out 6 days per week for 2 months, didnt burn fat, but I gained muscle. I used tdeecalculator.net and it estimated my bmr to be around 2000 calories. What's the deal?

    submitted by /u/Cappai
    [link] [comments]

    Training for a 300 mile charity cycle ride help

    Posted: 16 May 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    Dear fitness redditors. Out of pure insanity/determination, I've decided to train for and cycle a 300 mile route in the UK (from south London to Newcastle upon Tyne). Bear in mind I will likely camp out over 2 nights on the way. It will no doubt be pretty brutal, therefore a solid training regime is definitely needed. Anyone out there that has trained for a similarly gruelling event? I'm not sure if I should give myself 6-12 weeks of intense training (I'm relatively fit at the moment coming out of a ski season, but am definitely not in my peak). For reference, I am 22M, 74kg 10%body fat. I'm just not really sure how much time I should give myself to prepare for this.

    submitted by /u/Tom5pence
    [link] [comments]

    Newbie in search for honest advice.

    Posted: 17 May 2020 03:02 AM PDT

    Hello,

    As i mentioned above, i am rather new to weight loss, nutrition and bodybuilding. So i started working out at home a few months ago, when the quarantine started, for 30-60 minutes a day / 5 days a week, with intense bodyweight HIIT cardio sessions. Last week my weight loss journey has come to a halt, and I believe I have hit a plateau.

    Now, because of the quarantine, After my workout is done, i mostly sit in bed or at the computer all day, which makes me doubt if the workout is more useful than my normal pre-quarantine day where i would probably walk about 7000 steps. I am working with a 1000kcal deficit because of this situation. However, I am afraid that cutting 1000 kcal from my nutrition may have been a mistake, but i am hesitant as to wether i should increase daily caloric intake or decrease it for the next week. I am not sure my body is in "starvation mode", as I do not feel like I starve myself at all.

    14 days ago I decided to start tracking my calories, calculating my intake and my deficit etc.

    Now i am your average male, 25 years old, 184cm height, and these are my stats:

    TDEE results: Moderate Exercise 2,850 calories per day

    BMI Score: 23.6 (18.5 – 24.99Normal Weight)

    Now my average Daily caloric intake is at around 1800 ( 1000 kcal deficit ) and my average daily workout consists of around 300-600 kcal burn a day.

    In the last two weeks i have started lifting sessions after my usual 30 minute cardio routine. I am getting around 120-140 grams of protein per day to compliment my workout, even though I am aiming for 160g.

    My stats of the last three weeks are as described below:

    Weight:

    May 3rd week: - high point 81.6 - start of nutrition selfmade program

    May 10th week: 80.3 kg - low point 79.4 - high point 80.6

    May 17th week: 80.5 kg - low point 79.6 - high point 80.5 - weight has been slightly increasing (with fluctuations) in the last 4 days

    Muscle mass:

    40% constant weekly with slight fluctuations, but it might be innacurate as i can definately see slight results in both volume and power.

    Fat %:

    May 3rd week: 15.5%

    May 10th week: 15.3%

    May 17th week: 15.2% - high point 15.5%

    I would really be glad to hear some advice from you people, am I doing something wrong? What can i do to perfect my program?

    Thank you to everyone for your time.

    submitted by /u/Ady2Ady
    [link] [comments]

    Power/Speed/Strength/Size

    Posted: 17 May 2020 02:09 AM PDT

    Looking for suggestions on sets/reps and recovery time for a routine that hits these 4 aspects . No suggestion is a bad one - e.g. could include HIIT swimming combined with PHUL.

    Power, size, speed and endurance. The routine can (and probably should) include weights - even though right now gyms are still closed for me.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Bear_Bison
    [link] [comments]

    Jumping rope

    Posted: 17 May 2020 01:18 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, I have a question regarding Jumping rope. I would like to exercise in home but I don't want to use shoes in my home so I want to make it only with socks. The problem with jumping rope is that if you make a mistake and the rope hits your feet you fill the sensation of death! I was wondering if you know some socks like made for this purpose.

    submitted by /u/SpookyCIUFF
    [link] [comments]

    Has Anyone actually completed this Regimen?

    Posted: 17 May 2020 12:38 AM PDT

    I just want to know if anyone has actually ran 1 mile every day, their body type, what kinda troubles they went thru, and how much their weight has went down.

    I just wanna have a good idea of where my weight is gonna go. If any specifics are needed I'll be happy to provide details

    submitted by /u/LiterallyJustDev
    [link] [comments]

    Regaining Lost Progress

    Posted: 16 May 2020 11:43 PM PDT

    So, as can be guessed from the title, gyms are reopening where I (M20) am, and I'm wondering how best to go about getting back into things. Over the quarantine I've lost around 10 pounds (150-140), so I've definitely lost a step over the past couple months despite my attempts to the opposite with bodyweight routines. I was never really muscular to begin with, but I'm looking for advice to get back to where I was. Is that weight most likely water, or do I have to take things a bit slower?

    submitted by /u/TenneseeStyle
    [link] [comments]

    Stationary Bike Goals / Advice

    Posted: 16 May 2020 06:38 PM PDT

    Hi thanks for stopping by! I recently have really been getting into using my Rogue Echo Bike every week and have been doing 5 miles after every leg day work out (usually consisting of deadlifts, lunges, and squats) so far I have improved my 5 mile time greatly starting at 20:23, then 19:15, and today I got down to 18:15. My question is what do you think is a really really good 5 mile time on a stationary bike, should I be pushing really hard to get better times every week? Also I'm only doing this on leg day because I'm trying to get more into weightlifting I hear too much cardio can potentially be bad for gaining a lot of muscle. However if it wont ruin my gains I wouldn't mind doing it more often. Would love to hear your opinion! Thank you :)

    submitted by /u/Bear_Jake
    [link] [comments]

    Is waking up to pee every night killing my gains?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 11:23 PM PDT

    So I drink a shitload of water during the day, have a great diet and exercise 6 days a week. I'm currently training on PPL for hypertrophy and getting 7 hours of sleep every night (though I had a little insomnia a week ago due to stress). But the thing is that every night between 3:30-4:30 AM I wake up to pee. Actually tried not to and almost pee myself in bed, which is not a great thing to do at 22yo. So here is the thing, I'm getting rest alright, but, can this kill my gains? Can waking up disrupt growth hormone? In that case, how can I prevent this? I tried not drinking water 2 hours before bed but I just feel really dehydrated. Also tried to urinate everything just before falling asleep but this didn't prevent shit.

    submitted by /u/Ajelandor
    [link] [comments]

    Higher Volume vs. Lower Volume for Advanced Lifters?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 06:54 PM PDT

    I've seen a lot of conflicting information on whether training volume (i.e. total number of working sets per week) should be increased or decreased as a lifter becomes more advanced.

    Programs such as StrongLifts and Starting Strength seem to advocate reducing volume over time, under the logic that the heavier loads being lifted by advanced trainees are harder to recover from.

    However, I've also seen many experts such as Eric Helms and Mike Israetel explicitly say that volume needs to be increased over time in order to overcome the biological law of accommodation and stimulate further neuromuscular adaptation.

    Both of those scientific rationales make sense to me, so I'm not sure which one is correct.

    submitted by /u/G_O_A_D
    [link] [comments]

    Rowing machine for beginner

    Posted: 16 May 2020 05:48 AM PDT

    I never liked running even though I've always been able to run 10km under 45 minutes (So I am not really out of shape). However, since the quarantine I haven't been doing any sport and I feel like I'm getting "weak". I would like to try something new so I thought of rowing. I'd like to get an affordable rowing machine (r/rowing would recommend the concept2 but it's way too expensive for me and there are no used one where I live). So I was wondering if any of you had suggestions. Also, I noticed that there were rowing machines with sticks and some with an elastic cord, is there any significant difference between the two?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/etienner
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing heavy weights with elastic bands?

    Posted: 16 May 2020 02:43 PM PDT

    Hello hivemind, I've been a fat ass for all if quarantine, and it's time to stop. The last exercise I really enjoyed doing was powerlifting. Is there a way to replace that sensation of moving a lot of weight through those fitness band things? Or is there something else that I could keep in an apartment with no space? Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/lfortunata
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment